Why Are We in Ukraine?

321,503 Views | 5859 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by whiterock
whiterock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
and Germany now apparently ready to supply Taurus missiles.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/germany-delivery-of-weapon-system-with-a-range-of-more-than-500-kilometers-to-ukraine/ar-AA1eWKpn
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

With this loss, Russia down to approx. 30 remaining (airworthy).

That's some funny math. I believe this makes 39 lost, and they started with at least 133.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Ukraine already has achieved fire superiority in artillery, with more systems inbound - Sweden, making another contribution.

As of June the Russian advantage was 4500 to 2500. Russians have had heavier losses since then, based only on observations of 32 Russian and 8 Ukrainian systems destroyed. A good showing by the Ukrainians, but a long way from fire superiority.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

With this loss, Russia down to approx. 30 remaining (airworthy).

That's some funny math. I believe this makes 39 lost, and they started with at least 133.
started with about 100....that were airworthy.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Ukraine already has achieved fire superiority in artillery, with more systems inbound - Sweden, making another contribution.

As of June the Russian advantage was 4500 to 2500. Russians have had heavier losses since then, based only on observations of 32 Russian and 8 Ukrainian systems destroyed. A good showing by the Ukrainians, but a long way from fire superiority.
you need better sources. (and better understanding of warfare would help, too....)
https://www.newsweek.com/russias-god-war-failing-1816722

It's a looming "general systems failure" prompted by degredation that progressively decreases the effectiveness of Russian fires (due to worn barrels and antiquated fire control commands), and forces them to employ ever less capable arty systems (like emplacing T-54 tanks for use as arty). Yes, an emplaced T-54 gun can kill you as dead as an SV-152 tube. But look at the downstream problems. Available inventory for T-54 is heavily weighted toward HE rather than AP, and there is no such thing as a proximity fuse in tank ammo. And that's before we get to issues of windage and elevation. A tank gun is mounted to make direct fires and cannot elevate to make the kind of indirect fires an arty tube is designed for.

When you are emplacing 1950's era tanks to cover for a shortage in arty tubes (due to battlefield losses & attrition), that's your sign that things are not headed in a helpful direction.
When you are traveling to North Korea to obtain tubes and ammo, you are not headed in a helpful direction.

The counter-offensive is STILL in the "counter-battery" phase. Uke will continue to engage in platoon & company sized probing and fixing attacks to provoke Russian arty fire missions as part of battalion or better counter attacks. Ukes will then take out the arty battery with HIMARS or drones or (insert system here.....new ones are coming on line every couple of weeks). Then they advance another few hundred yards. Repeat. Demining occurs behind the line of advance. Ukes are now mostly assaulting 2nd line fortifications. When they clear the third, Russia is not going to have enough arty to interdict the movement into open terrain.

Looking like Uke is engaging in fixing attacks in Kherson and western Zapo to prevent Russian redeployments to the eastern Zapo front. A breakthru there will allow Uke to move on Mariupol, severing the land bridge to Crimea and threatening the entire Kerson-Zapo front with encirclement. Also will be a huge moral victory, recapturing a site of an earlier heroic defense. Not likely to happen this month, but Russians are under severe strain and being degraded daily.

Cannot emphasize enough how badly you are misreading the situation.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

you need better sources. (and better understanding of warfare would help, too....)

It's a looming "general systems failure" prompted by degredation that progressively decreases the effectiveness of Russian fires (due to worn barrels and antiquated fire control commands), and forces them to employ ever less capable arty systems (like emplacing T-54 tanks for use as arty). Yes, an emplaced T-54 gun can kill you as dead as an SV-152 tube. But look at the downstream problems. Available inventory for T-54 is heavily weighted toward HE rather than AP, and there is no such thing as a proximity fuse in tank ammo. And that's before we get to issues of windage and elevation. A tank gun is mounted to make direct fires and cannot elevate to make the kind of indirect fires an arty tube is designed for.

When you are emplacing 1950's era tanks to cover for a shortage in arty tubes (due to battlefield losses & attrition), that's your sign that things are not headed in a helpful direction.
When you are traveling to North Korea to obtain tubes and ammo, you are not headed in a helpful direction.

The counter-offensive is STILL in the "counter-battery" phase. Uke will continue to engage in platoon & company sized probing and fixing attacks to provoke Russian arty fire missions as part of battalion or better counter attacks. Ukes will then take out the arty battery with HIMARS or drones or (insert system here.....new ones are coming on line every couple of weeks). Then they advance another few hundred yards. Repeat. Demining occurs behind the line of advance. Ukes are now mostly assaulting 2nd line fortifications. When they clear the third, Russia is not going to have enough arty to interdict the movement into open terrain.

Looking like Uke is engaging in fixing attacks in Kherson and western Zapo to prevent Russian redeployments to the eastern Zapo front. A breakthru there will allow Uke to move on Mariupol, severing the land bridge to Crimea and threatening the entire Kerson-Zapo front with encirclement. Also will be a huge moral victory, recapturing a site of an earlier heroic defense. Not likely to happen this month, but Russians are under severe strain and being degraded daily.

I've seen the Newsweek article. It doesn't address my point. And I'm afraid you need better sources if you think the Ukes are anywhere near second or third lines of defense. Funny how I lack an understanding of warfare, yet the war continues to go exactly as I predicted. Let me guess…we'll know a lot more in 60 days?
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

I've seen the Newsweek article. It doesn't address my point. And I'm afraid you need better sources if you think the Ukes are anywhere near second or third lines of defense. Funny how I lack an understanding of warfare, yet the war continues to go exactly as I predicted. Let me guess…we'll know a lot more in 60 days?
So, question I have. Ukraine can't push Russia back, but it is starting to look like Russia can't hold Crimea or Donbas productively. What does Russia get to leave???

Not fair, true. They invaded. But the reality is that without NATO troops, Russia is not going to be pushed out of Ukraine. However, Ukraine is not going to let them prosper by their gains. Sad reality is Russia will need to get something to go forward.
Doc Holliday
FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

So, question I have. Ukraine can't push Russia back, but it is starting to look like Russia can't hold Crimea or Donbas productively. What does Russia get to leave???

Not fair, true. They invaded. But the reality is that without NATO troops, Russia is not going to be pushed out of Ukraine. However, Ukraine is not going to let them prosper by their gains. Sad reality is Russia will need to get something to go forward.
And if this thing continues to go on for a long time, which it already has, there will be more dead Ukrainians which is the entire point of this war.

Must be a coincidence that the results of this war directly help blackrock & JP morgan with their half a trillion $ investment in Ukraine.
Sam Lowry
FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Crimea was never on the table. A year ago the Russians might have settled for two mainland oblasts. They'd take four if negotiations opened today. Trouble is that America doesn't negotiate, not even when we're desperate for an off-ramp. We'll hang on until Ukraine collapses, then leave them to their fate and blame them for whatever happens. Same as Afghanistan, etc.
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Crimea was never on the table. A year ago the Russians might have settled for two mainland oblasts. They'd take four if negotiations opened today. Trouble is that America doesn't negotiate, not even when we're desperate for an off-ramp. We'll hang on until Ukraine collapses, then leave them to their fate and blame them for whatever happens. Same as Afghanistan, etc.

Well, stories are starting to come out that Russia is starting to re-think Crimea. Source may or may not be valid. But, I can see a swap of Crimea for Donbas and call it a day. Crimea and that bridge is a nightmare to defend.

By the way, it is not the US's place to negotiate off pieces of other countries.

Russia starts to realize it can't hold on to Crimea interview with Refat Chubarov (msn.com)
Sam Lowry
FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Well, stories are starting to come out that Russia is starting to re-think Crimea. Source may or may not be valid. But, I can see a swap of Crimea for Donbas and call it a day. Crimea and that bridge is a nightmare to defend.

By the way, it is not the US's place to negotiate off pieces of other countries.

Russia starts to realize it can't hold on to Crimea interview with Refat Chubarov (msn.com)

It may not be our place to negotiate, but it's the reality. You weren't complaining when we scuttled every peace deal up to now.

I had a hunch that this Chubarov was Crimea's answer to Chalabi. Looks like I wasn't far off. The playbook gets very predictable once you've seen it in action.
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

It may not be our place to negotiate, but it's the reality. You weren't complaining when we scuttled every peace deal up to now.

I had a hunch that this Chubarov was Crimea's answer to Chalabi. Looks like I wasn't far off. The playbook gets very predictable once you've seen it in action.
It is Ukraine's choice how to respond, the US followed suit and helped them get where they wanted to go. Ukraine wants a settled end, I am all for the US and NATO helping get it. If Ukraine wants to fight to the last, I am all for the US and NATO helping them.
Sam Lowry
FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

It is Ukraine's choice how to respond, the US followed suit and helped them get where they wanted to go. Ukraine wants a settled end, I am all for the US and NATO helping get it. If Ukraine wants to fight to the last, I am all for the US and NATO helping them.
That's not really how it works. If Ukraine wants a settlement, Ukraine is liable to get a new government that's more in line with what we want. Kind of like 2014.
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

That's not really how it works. If Ukraine wants a settlement, Ukraine is liable to get a new government that's more in line with what we want. Kind of like 2014.
You reading the World Socialist Web Site again? You know they get you worked up everytime you go on there...
TWD 1974
Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

If we figure out what kind of Government we want here, perhaps we can figure out what we want in Ukraine.

I am certainly no military expert but have read enough to know how difficult it is to defeat an enemy from an entrenched fortified position (analogy-France late 1944). Without Air dominance, and a clear superiority in artillery, does not seem likely. This looks like a stalemate till the 2024 elections.
Jacques Strap

CNN responds... the focus group is at fault for not watching enough CNN. These poor focus group folks are about to get introduced to cancellation tactics from the "I know better than you" crowd on social media.

FLBear5630
TWD 1974 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

If we figure out what kind of Government we want here, perhaps we can figure out what we want in Ukraine.

I am certainly no military expert but have read enough to know how difficult it is to defeat an enemy from an entrenched fortified position (analogy-France late 1944). Without Air dominance, and a clear superiority in artillery, does not seem likely. This looks like a stalemate till the 2024 elections.
Ukraine is reaching an area where a settlement may be in order. They may lose Donbas, but maybe get Crimea back. Or, lose both and get NATO membership. There is a time when you can push a deal through and get what you want, I am feeling like we are getting close to that time. If you miss it, you risk getting nothing.
Redbrickbear
Jacques Strap
That focus group really must have spooked CNN. Now the little guy is a problem because he lacks vision.

Next up - it is okay when politicians take a little sugar off the 4 trillion US budget because they have strategic vision!

whiterock
Jacques Strap said:

CNN responds... the focus group is at fault for not watching enough CNN. These poor focus group folks are about to get introduced to cancellation tactics from the "I know better than you" crowd on social media.

CNN did an outstanding job of selecting a focus group that is not at all representative of the GOP at large on the Ukraine question.
whiterock
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ukraine is reaching an area where a settlement may be in order. They may lose Donbas, but maybe get Crimea back. Or, lose both and get NATO membership. There is a time when you can push a deal through and get what you want, I am feeling like we are getting close to that time. If you miss it, you risk getting nothing.
You're about a year too early.
FLBear5630
whiterock said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You're about a year too early.

I can go there...
whiterock
Good and fairly detailed assessment here.
"….lateral redeployments suggest that UKR counteroffensive operations have significantly degraded existing defending Russian forces in the area and prompted the Russian command to send these elements to shore up RU defenses in this critical sector of the frontline."

Ukr threatening to break the Russian line at Robotnye forces weakening of the line elsewhere. Russians under great strain. They cannot last another year without another mobilization, rumors of which are already starting.

Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Jacques Strap said:

CNN did an outstanding job of selecting a focus group that is not at all representative of the GOP at large on the Ukraine question.
CNN - Most Americans oppose Congress authorizing additional funding to support Ukraine in its war with Russia, according to a new CNN poll conducted by SSRS, as the public splits over whether the US has already done enough to assist Ukraine.

Republicans broadly say that Congress should not authorize new funding (71%) and that the US has done enough to assist Ukraine (59%). Among Democrats, most say the opposite, 62% favor additional funding and 61% say that the US should do more.

Within both parties, there are splits by ideology. On providing additional funding, liberal Democrats are far and away the most supportive, 74% back it compared with 51% of moderate or conservative Democrats. Among Republicans, about three-quarters of conservatives oppose new funding (76%) compared with 61% of moderate or liberal Republicans.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/08/04/politics/cnn-poll-ukraine/index.html
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Jacques Strap said:

CNN - Most Americans oppose Congress authorizing additional funding to support Ukraine in its war with Russia, according to a new CNN poll conducted by SSRS, as the public splits over whether the US has already done enough to assist Ukraine.

Republicans broadly say that Congress should not authorize new funding (71%) and that the US has done enough to assist Ukraine (59%). Among Democrats, most say the opposite, 62% favor additional funding and 61% say that the US should do more.

Within both parties, there are splits by ideology. On providing additional funding, liberal Democrats are far and away the most supportive, 74% back it compared with 51% of moderate or conservative Democrats. Among Republicans, about three-quarters of conservatives oppose new funding (76%) compared with 61% of moderate or liberal Republicans.

Stopping now is a waste of resources, either we are in to get to a settled peace or drive Russia out. To shell out that much and walk away now, would be criminal.
Sam Lowry
FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Jacques Strap said:

Stopping now is a waste of resources, either we are in to get to a settled peace or drive Russia out. To shell out that much and walk away now, would be criminal.
Our "support" is by far the biggest obstacle to a settled peace. And Russia isn't leaving.
Redbrickbear
Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Jacques Strap said:

Our "support" is by far the biggest obstacle to a settled peace. And Russia isn't leaving.

The whole idea that Russia is going to give up and NOT care who rules in Ukraine was always neo-con/liberal fantasy.

They have cared about Ukraine for 500 years!

As long as Russia is a nation it is always going to be there and be the major player in relation to Ukraine and Belarus.

Unless the powers that be in the West plan to try and abolish the Russian state?

America can not care about Ukraine as much as Russia can….and Washington will eventually get bored and distracted….Moscow will not.

The very same thing as how China or Russia can never care about Canada or Mexico was much as we will. No matter what happens or how long it takes Washington will make sure pro-American regimes rule in Ottawa and Mexico City.
whiterock
Just now starting to heat up.

whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Jacques Strap said:

Nice job of cherry picking. How many links would you like to see showing that the sample selected in that interview is wildly out of whack with actual GOP support for the war?
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Jacques Strap said:

They will not end the war with what they hold now.
Redbrickbear
We should never forget that many of the people who run our foreign policy are just power mad and evil….

Redbrickbear
whiterock
Redbrickbear said:

Progress in the war allows a city to reopen beaches and this is a bad thing?
whiterock
Redbrickbear said:

We should never forget that many of the people who run our foreign policy are just power mad and evil….

Morell is just describing the rules of the game. Everyone plays by the same rules......
Redbrickbear
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Progress in the war allows a city to reopen beaches and this is a bad thing?

Western media: this is a war for the existential survival of Ukraine and the safety of "muh democracy" in the whole world!

Ukrainian upper class : hold my Gucci purse while I club in Kyiv and hit the beach resorts!
First Page Last Page
Page 20 of 168

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.