Why Are We in Ukraine?

322,910 Views | 5860 Replies | Last: 50 min ago by Sam Lowry
FLBear5630
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Realitybites said:

Quote:

Maybe I am a Reagan Cold War guy, but I agreed with Scott and Haley last night on Ukraine. Anything we do to weaken Putin is good for US

Newsflash: the USSR fell. There are more communists in American universities and Washington DC in 2023 than in Moscow. Modern Russia is a state with a 13% flat tax, a resurgence of Christianity, and strong pro-family policies. I would much rather live in Moscow than LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Philadelphia, or New York.

What democrats and neocons - though I believe for different reasons - are arguing for is expanding a proxy war against a nuclear armed peer. That will be a first in world history and something to be avoided. Let's hope the evil and stupid shortsightedness of those two groups don't make it the last.
LOL history fail. This is most assuredly NOT the first proxy war between nuclear superpowers. Good grief.

Well yes...I should have said proxy war against a nuclear power on their doorstep.

Vietnam in the 1960s-70s was of course a proxy war by the USSR and Communist China against the USA.

Afghanistan in the 1980s a proxy war against against the USSR by the USA.

Probably throw the Korean War in there as well.

I will say that this one feels more serious in a way its hard to quantify. Maybe because its in a area that Moscow cares deeply about? Vs say Afghanistan or Vietnam...places that had little really importance to Moscow or D.C.

I could of course be wrong.
Let's define a proxy war, Ukraine, Afghanistan- 80's, Iran/Iraq War, Israeli wars, Suez all are proxy wars as we used or supported others that we agreed with but the US did not fight (hence Proxy).

Korea, Iraq, Viet Nam, Grenada, Kuwait, Haiti, were not proxy wars. They were out right military actions/wars that the US took part in whole heartedly. There was no proxy. US troops were deployed fought and died.

I put Ukraine into Proxy, sure. But there is no proxy if Russia doesn't invade or Ukraine does not ask for help.
Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Realitybites said:

Quote:

Maybe I am a Reagan Cold War guy, but I agreed with Scott and Haley last night on Ukraine. Anything we do to weaken Putin is good for US

Newsflash: the USSR fell. There are more communists in American universities and Washington DC in 2023 than in Moscow. Modern Russia is a state with a 13% flat tax, a resurgence of Christianity, and strong pro-family policies. I would much rather live in Moscow than LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Philadelphia, or New York.

What democrats and neocons - though I believe for different reasons - are arguing for is expanding a proxy war against a nuclear armed peer. That will be a first in world history and something to be avoided. Let's hope the evil and stupid shortsightedness of those two groups don't make it the last.
LOL history fail. This is most assuredly NOT the first proxy war between nuclear superpowers. Good grief.

Well yes...I should have said proxy war against a nuclear power on their doorstep.

Vietnam in the 1960s-70s was of course a proxy war by the USSR and Communist China against the USA.

I will say that this one feels more serious in a way its hard to quantify. Maybe because its in a area that Moscow cares deeply about? Vs say Afghanistan or Vietnam...places that had little really importance to Moscow or D.C.

Let's define a proxy war, Ukraine, Afghanistan- 80's, Iran/Iraq War, Israeli wars, Suez all are proxy wars as we used or supported others that we agreed with but the US did not fight (hence Proxy).

Korea, Iraq, Viet Nam, Grenada, Kuwait, Haiti, were not proxy wars. They were out right military actions/wars that the US took part in whole heartedly. There was no proxy. US troops were deployed fought and died.

I put Ukraine into Proxy, sure. But there is no proxy if Russia doesn't invade or Ukraine does not ask for help.

I think that is fair
FLBear5630
Redbrickbear said:

FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Realitybites said:

Quote:

I think that is fair
The real conversation is the War Powers Act and how it has morphed from the original intent to blank check. Another example of Congress not doing their job. They punted it to the Executive Branch so they didn't have to vote to go to war. Like immigration and abortion, punting to the Executive or SCOUS to do their job. That is what I want to fix.
Doc Holliday
How on earth do you guys believe our country is doing this out of the good for Ukrainian people when they treat us like dog sh it?

How do you believe that Russia, who by your own admission can't handle little ole Ukraine is going to be a major threat against NATO nations?!

This is where the money is going. You've been fed cold war propaganda your entire life about duty, doing the right thing, fighting for freedom etc. and nobody has questioned it seriously. Of all people, you as Christians NEED to understand that true evil presents itself as good and holy.
trey3216
Doc Holliday said:

How on earth do you guys believe our country is doing this out of the good for Ukrainian people when they treat us like dog sh it?

How do you believe that Russia, who by your own admission can't handle little ole Ukraine is going to be a major threat against NATO nations?!

This is where the money is going. You've been fed cold war propaganda your entire life about duty, doing the right thing, fighting for freedom etc. and nobody has questioned it seriously. Of all people, you as Christians NEED to understand that true evil presents itself as good and holy.

Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

Russia is not the power we thought, so let them invade and take Ukraine?

How is saying none of our business any less radical than supplying them weapons? Worst how is letting Russia take Ukraine because we think the "Pentavarate" is really behind it making money, so let Putin take a nation and subjegate millions to Russian rule they don't want and we promised to make sure wouldn't happen? Real Christian act there...
Doc Holliday
FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

How is saying none of our business any less radical than supplying them weapons? Worst how is letting Russia take Ukraine because we think the "Pentavarate" is really behind it making money, so let Putin take a nation and subjegate millions to Russian rule they don't want and we promised to make sure wouldn't happen? Real Christian act there...
The premise by US officials and media is that Russia is armed with shovels and washing machine parts and that Ukraine is beating them. So if they did somehow take Ukraine, how the hell would they be a threat to anyone else, especially NATO countries?

If you support it because of freedom, then why doesn't that apply to other countries who are in the exact same scenario right now?

In reality, Ukraine is losing and we're gonna spend a Trillion or so dollars and this thing will end with a peace deal where Ukraine loses bigly. The smart thing would have been to avoid 500k dead Ukrainians already and brokered a peace deal where neither Russia or Ukraine gets exactly what they want.
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

The premise by US officials and media is that Russia is armed with shovels and washing machine parts and that Ukraine is beating them. So if they did somehow take Ukraine, how the hell would they be a threat to anyone else, especially NATO countries?

If you support it because of freedom, then why doesn't that apply to other countries who are in the exact same scenario right now?
We give military aide to 157 nations. Just because Ukraine gets the news and fits the narrative, you can see it so they deserve to be cancelled?
Doc Holliday
FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

We give military aide to 157 nations. Just because Ukraine gets the news and fits the narrative, you can see it so they deserve to be cancelled?
Modern day ethnic cleansing in front of our eyes by Azerbaijan against Armenians and the west is SILENT.
trey3216
Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Modern day ethnic cleansing in front of our eyes by Azerbaijan against Armenians and the west is SILENT.
Another Russian disaster.
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

We just sent a Diplomat there. We are senting Humanitarian Aide. Your buddies the Russians are on the ground as peacekeepers but choose not to do anything when Armenians are attacked. Just tell the Armenians to leave, you are good with telling the Ukrainians they are on their own.

Sen. Peters returns from the Armenian border, where he witnessed a refugee crisis : NPR
Doc Holliday
Look guys, this war is dragging along, 500K dead Ukrainians, they need direct US involvement or they're going to lose.

We keep dragging this out there's going to more dead Ukrainians and the end result will be the same had a peace deal been brokered to begin with, except not over half a million dead Ukrainians...

If you're pro proxy war and you don't deliver absolute defeat to Russia, then you've made a HUGE mistake. Defeating Russia is not as easy as the media has claimed, if it was this would have already been over with.
Doc Holliday
FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

We just sent a Diplomat there. We are senting Humanitarian Aide. Your buddies the Russians are on the ground as peacekeepers but choose not to do anything when Armenians are attacked. Just tell the Armenians to leave, you are good with telling the Ukrainians they are on their own.

Sen. Peters returns from the Armenian border, where he witnessed a refugee crisis : NPR

Nah you send them $300B worth of military aid and make them fight to the death for their country and hope to god they figure it out. That's what you support.
trey3216
Doc Holliday said:

Look guys, this war is dragging along, 500K dead Ukrainians, they need direct US involvement or they're going to lose.

We keep dragging this out there's going to more dead Ukrainians and the end result will be the same had a peace deal been brokered to begin with, except not over half a million dead Ukrainians...

If you're pro proxy war and you don't deliver absolute defeat to Russia, then you've made a HUGE mistake. Defeating Russia is not as easy as the media has claimed, if it was this would have already been over with.
You keep saying 500k dead Ukrainians, and there is literally no place on earth other than Russia Today, or Colonel SlapFace who is constantly on Russia today, saying that.
Doc Holliday
trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

You keep saying 500k dead Ukrainians, and there is literally no place on earth other than Russia Today, or Colonel SlapFace who is constantly on Russia today, saying that.
NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/18/us/politics/ukraine-russia-war-casualties.html

Troop Deaths and Injuries in Ukraine War Near 500,000, U.S. Officials Say

Stop buying into the bs propaganda you've been fed since 2016 about Russian misinformation. HRC cooked that up and tried to coup DJT. They used it to downplay the Hunter Biden Laptop and know they're using it to make people not question this proxy war with Ukraine.
trey3216
Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/18/us/politics/ukraine-russia-war-casualties.html

I"m not signing up for NYT, but even the first few lines you can read don't say 500k dead Ukrainians. So apparently, you need to go back to grammar school and revisit 'context clues'.
Doc Holliday
trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

I"m not signing up for NYT, but even the first few lines you can read don't say 500k dead Ukrainians. So apparently, you need to go back to grammar school and revisit 'context clues'.
My point still stands. Hundreds of thousands of 18-30 year old men are dead because of this war. That's a ******* tragedy.

If Ukraine doesn't win and the end result is the same had a deal been brokered, these deaths could have been avoided. You better hope this goes perfectly for Ukraine. You also better hope this doesn't create worse situations decades down the road with black market military deals: as history has already shown will happen.
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

There is only so much you can do and provide. Hell, each system needs training and integration for command and control.

You want to stop it today? Allow Ukraine into NATO and give Russia a date certain to go back to the pre-invasion borders. Russia and China do not want a war with NATO. Ukraine get NATO and EU membership and Russia keeps Crimea. Done. The only way this gets brokered is the threat of NATO getting involved. China needs US and EU markets to save their economy, Xi is not going to WW3. That is not the Chinese way. (If it were Japan???)
Doc Holliday
FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

There is only so much you can do and provide. Hell, each system needs training and integration for command and control.

You want to stop it today? Allow Ukraine into NATO and give Russia a date certain to go back to the pre-invasion borders. Russia and China do not want a war with NATO. Ukraine get NATO and EU membership and Russia keeps Crimea. Done. The only way this gets brokered is the threat of NATO getting involved. China needs US and EU markets to save their economy, Xi is not going to WW3. That is not the Chinese way. (If it were Japan???)
Then why the hell aren't we doing that? Do we want to use Ukraine lives to weaken Russia? If so, that's fuc ked up.

My priority is less dead human beings. If that makes me a bad person then fine.
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Then why the hell aren't we doing that? Do we want to use Ukraine lives to weaken Russia? If so, that's fuc ked up.

That is where I would go....
trey3216
Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Tell your friends in Russia to stop invading their neighbors, stop launching missiles into apartment complexes/hospitals/schools/power substations/restaurants/theaters/etc. and start acting like a 1st world country. Would be the first time they ever acted like one, so it might be a big bite to chew.
Doc Holliday
trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Tell your friends in Russia to stop invading their neighbors, stop launching missiles into apartment complexes/hospitals/schools/power substations/restaurants/theaters/etc. and start acting like a 1st world country. Would be the first time they ever acted like one, so it might be a big bite to chew.
Oh I'm a friend of Russia now because I don't want people to die? Don't be a POS.

Both countries are deeply racist and corrupt. This is who Russia has always been, they're insanely corrupt bullies...so maybe point the finger at the west for not getting Ukraine into NATO when they had several years to do so.
Bear8084
Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oh I'm a friend of Russia now because I don't want people to die? Don't be a POS. I highly recommend you don't tell that to people in person when discussing this topic if you don't want your teeth knocked in.

Both countries are deeply racist and corrupt. This is who Russia has always been, they're insanely corrupt bullies...so maybe point the finger at the west for not getting Ukraine into NATO when they had several years to do so.

You boost some of the worst RU propaganda and shills around. Spare us the "Don't want people to die." line. If you don't want to be compared to a duck, stop quacking like one.
Doc Holliday
Bear8084 said:

Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oh I'm a friend of Russia now because I don't want people to die? Don't be a POS. I highly recommend you don't tell that to people in person when discussing this topic if you don't want your teeth knocked in.

You boost some of the worst RU propaganda and shills around. Spare us the "Don't want people to die." BS. If you don't want to be compared to a duck, stop quacking like one.
Questioning our government is not RU propaganda. The entire world is full of propaganda. Its very much a situation where all sides are pushing bs. Its the fog of war.

RU propaganda would be me saying Russia is right to take Ukraine. I'm not making that case whatsoever. I'm questioning how this war is really going, not how the media is framing it, not how DC is framing it, but how its actually going.

You guys sound just like the Biden administration. You sound like MSNBC and CNN. You support that ***** Are you leftoid now?
Redbrickbear
Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Oh I'm a friend of Russia now because I don't want people to die? Don't be a POS.

Advocating for peace on this website is taken as proof positive of Puntist leanings….
trey3216
Redbrickbear said:

Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Advocating for peace on this website is taken as proof positive of Puntist leanings….
advocating for everything Russia wants in peace negotiations is akin to Russian propaganda
Cobretti

Redbrickbear
Memes and jokes are serious business…and probably dangerous to our democracy.

ATL Bear
Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

My point still stands. Hundreds of thousands of 18-30 year old men are dead because of this war. That's a ******* tragedy.

If Ukraine doesn't win and the end result is the same had a deal been brokered, these deaths could have been avoided. You better hope this goes perfectly for Ukraine. You also better hope this doesn't create worse situations decades down the road with black market military deals: as history has already shown will happen.
The question I always ask is, "why would you think that it wouldn't be worse without a better ability to defend themselves?".
FLBear5630
ATL Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

The question I always ask is, "why would you think that it wouldn't be worse without a better ability to defend themselves?".

The question I ask: isn't that up to Ukraine?

We step in and broker a peace deal and give Ukrainian land to Putin, how are we different? It is not our land to give.

Also I don't see the Ukrainian people hollering o stop fighting and go back to Russian rule.
Realitybites
Just a dose of reality for the neocon/democrat warmongers.

This time from the US Army War College.

https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch/f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:steep/https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F90314714-5e91-4d08-b8bb-ce093cd772db_662x299.png?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email
Realitybites
Cobretti said:

I'm sure they'll discover another billion dollar "accounting error" so they can keep doing what they want to do apart from civilian supervision.
whiterock
Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Realitybites said:

Quote:

....on the borders of communist China.

......on the borders of the USSR.

.....on the borders of BOTH the USSR and communist China

History strongly rejects the notion that proxy wars are likely to spark nuclear war, in general, or that Nato support to Ukraine will result in Russian use of nuclear weapons anywhere, specifically.

whiterock
Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Just curious ... asking for a unicorn I know .. who can make the affirmative case that artificially funding Ukraine's economy serves what national interests of the U.S.?

Maybe I am a Reagan Cold War guy, but I agreed with Scott and Haley last night on Ukraine. Anything we do to weaken Putin is good for US.
Reagan couldn't disagree more. Biden is undoing everything that he accomplished.

Reagan would stand by and let Putin invade Ukraine? Grenada/Iran-Contra Ron would have said, we are out let Russia have Ukraine? After he worked to get Ukrainian independence. Yeah.

I served why Ronnie was President. You know how many times we (82nd Abn) got ready to deploy and sit at Pope Air Field so the satellites could get a good look? You think he was bluffing? I don't, the officers and AF personnel managing our aircraft didn't. Sitting in a stick on a tarmac for 8 hours is no fun. This happened that I can remember with Libya and Poland. Every EDRE was a satellite opportunity to show strength and he used it. Reagan also supplies Afghan Rebels and Solidarity in Poland. Reagan would not stand by and let Putin do this.

...and we were smuggling small satellite dish receivers into East Germany so they could catch western TV broadcasts......smuggling same plus money to Polish unions....etc.....and dogging Soviet Bloc diplomats balls to walls.....and flying/sailing warcraft provocatively to send messages, etc......

I mean, the obtusity of the peace-at-all-cost crowd here is mind boggling.

1. I don't think anyone on this thread has advocated "peace-at-all-costs"

I don't know one person on this website who has NOT said we should wipe Russia out if they attack a actual NATO member.

Or that we should not fight China if they attack say Japan or S. Korea

So that is not really a fair criticism.

2. Waging a decades long struggle to undermine the Soviet Union and its political/military domination of central and eastern Europe was of course justified. Communism was (and is) one of the most evil ideologies of all time. Killed at least 100-200 million people during the 20th Century.

And Soviet troops were right there...mere miles from Austria and inside East Germany. The Red army used to have 75,000 troops in Wunsdorf Germany.

That is all gone...its ideological & military empire totally collapsed.

The modern Russian state is nothing like that. Its a declining regional power with no control over central Europe or the Balkans...and now not even control over the Baltic region (right on its door step), its declining in population, has a stagnant/non-dynamic economy, and its a oligarchy without much of an ideology in general and has to rely on old Russian nationalism to give it any legitimacy at all.

Disagree. The criticism is spot on. Look at the bleating, here and everywhere else, about how we must cut off all aid to Ukraine in order to force the war to an end so Ukrainians will quit dying....how our support is prolonging a war which will demographically destroy Ukraine win or lose....how we're keyboard warriors who'd not be advocating support for Ukraine if we'd ever seen a battlefield casualty (implications being that we must let Russia roll over Ukraine to avoid battlefield casualties.)

And your point #2 undermines your case. It tacitly accepts the premise that proximity of Russian armies to a Nato country (Germany) justifies a decades long Cold War, then ignores the reality that Russian occupation of Ukraine will place Russian armies along the border of not one, but FOUR additional Nato countries (Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania). So it's not all gone. It's one country away. And your policy would guarantee that it moves back adjacent.....to the entire Nato eastern flank!

Re your last para: we see a priori thinking rendering your argument chaotic. You are correct that Russia is a declining power with serious long-term problems, but ignore the manifestly obvious fact that allowing Ukraine to be subsumed back into Russia will increase Russian population and resources (and simplifying Russian logistics by moving Russian armies 1250km closer to Nato borders....increasing Nato border frontage with Russia-controlled space by 790km). Then, you simultaneously argue that we are wasting money supporting a Ukraine which cannot win because Russia is too much larger and more powerful, AND that Russia has no ability to control anything in its area or beyond.

The a priori part is that what's really driving your thinking is that you're angry over deficit spending, so geopolitical analysis flows from there - cut the funding (Ukraine doesn't matter anyway.) Hate to break it to you, but what happens in Eastern Europe does matter to us, given that all of it is in Nato. We have a treaty obligation to defend it from Russia....who you are arguing we should allow to move its armies and nuclear weapons ADJACENT to our allies.

Just speechless at the insanity being argued...... For a nominal amount of money, Ukraine is methodically destroying the Russian military. They WILL their country back win if we stay the course, and nothing could do more to keep our boys & girls out of war than that.

whiterock
FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Realitybites said:

Quote:

I think that is fair
The real conversation is the War Powers Act and how it has morphed from the original intent to blank check. Another example of Congress not doing their job. They punted it to the Executive Branch so they didn't have to vote to go to war. Like immigration and abortion, punting to the Executive or SCOUS to do their job. That is what I want to fix.
Be careful not to conflate military aid to a foreign country with deployment of US troops into combat......
First Page Last Page
Page 32 of 168

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.