Why Are We in Ukraine?

322,672 Views | 5859 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by whiterock
sombear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Realitybites said:

Well, some good news. Russian forces have nearly encircled and cut off the Ukrainian garrison at Avdeevka and once it surrenders a lynchpin of the Ukrainian forces in Donbass will be gone. Hopefully Victoria Nuland's war is over by the end of 2024 and Zelensky - as well as our own diseased administration and their apparatchiks - are history.
Back under a different name I see!
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
FLBear5630
Redbrickbear said:

We are back to WW1. Dig in...
STxBear81
How much money has he made in this war from the USA.
Biden is dumb.
Realitybites
Quote:

Nah. Just a lot more people than some would like have become familiar with the actual events that went on over there and have turned against Zelensky and Ukraine.
ATL Bear
Realitybites said:

Quote:

Nah. Just a lot more people than some would like have become familiar with the actual events that went on over there and have turned against Zelensky and Ukraine.
Perhaps you should consider who and what you are saying you are for.
whiterock
New Speaker is showing some deftness. I'm impressed. Using his caucus instead of whipping it all the time.

https://news.yahoo.com/group-republicans-sets-conditions-biden-111111188.html

STxBear81
Nice practical list. But what does Biden know about these things. He is flat out lost mentally.
Redbrickbear
whiterock said:

New Speaker is showing some deftness. I'm impressed. Using his caucus instead of whipping it all the time.

No matter if you are for the proxy war or against the proxy war in Ukraine....these are all very very reasonable requests....and frankly simply good operating procedure/good government accountability questions.

In fact how is it possible that the Congress has never asked this reasonable list of questions before now about this conflict?

It would be like if Baylor Regents just turned over endless millions to the Football program and never asked for an accounting of what the money was being spent on and what the strategy for producing a winning season looked like.
Bear8084
whiterock said:

It's a very reasonable list. With grievances that have been talked about in the intelligence/OSINT community over and over again.
sombear
Realitybites said:

Quote:

Wait, so you're not simply opposed to the U.S. supporting Ukraine, you're actually rooting for Russia?
KaiBear
sombear said:

Realitybites said:

Quote:

Wait, so you're not simply opposed to the U.S. supporting Ukraine, you're actually rooting for Russia?
Yes, anyone who questions US actions before and during this Ukranian war is actually 'rooting' for Russia.

Who could possibly doubt it ?
Redbrickbear
Realitybites
sombear said:

My preference would be for sanity to be restored in DC, the overspending to stop, the permawars to end, and to have government-americans like Victoria Nuland have the keys to the car taken away.

But since that doesn't appear likely to occur through what remains of our political process, I'll settle for the alternate route to it: a Russian military victory. An equally acceptable outcome: the Ukrainian people wake up, overthrow Zelensky, and a new government there signs a treaty to end the war.

So yes, I suppose you could say that I am rooting for Russia.

Why are you cheering for the Biden administration over Russia?
sombear
Realitybites said:

sombear said:

My preference would be for sanity to be restored in DC, the overspending to stop, the permawars to end, and to have government-americans like Victoria Nuland have the keys to the car taken away.

But since that doesn't appear likely to occur through what remains of our political process, I'll settle for the alternate route to it: a Russian military victory. An equally acceptable outcome: the Ukrainian people wake up, overthrow Zelensky, and a new government there signs a treaty to end the war.

If your concern truly is overspending, it will be 100 times more expensive if Russia wins and takes over Ukraine.
whiterock
Redbrickbear said:

appropriate response to this is to first send a clean Ukraine bill over to Senate.....THEN a clean Israel bill.
whiterock
STxBear81 said:

Nice practical list. But what does Biden know about these things. He is flat out lost mentally.
just as we see with Israel, he make the correct strategic decision on whether to support or not, then gets cute with micro-management.

Res ipsa loquitur: The American people are not preternaturally warlike. They will go to war and be quite practical about the reasons to do so, but want to win and then get back to the business of peace. So if you are a POTUS, you should understand that you should prioritize effectiveness over efficiency = win the damned war and come home.

Stop trickling out the aid to Ukraine. Give them enough armor, arty, and air to shatter Russian logistics and force a retreat to pre-2014 positions or better (latter is achievable), and then let the private sector take over the rebuilding process.

Realitybites
whiterock said:

Stop trickling out the aid to Ukraine. Give them enough armor, arty, and air to shatter Russian logistics and force a retreat to pre-2014 positions or better (latter is achievable), and then let the private sector take over the rebuilding process.

Nuts. Pursuing this policy will result in the Russians pushing the button and DC turning into a radioactive wasteland. I am seriously starting to think that the people running our market based consumerist society lack the perspective to understand ancient civilizations.
whiterock
Realitybites said:

whiterock said:

Nuts. Pursuing this policy will result in the Russians pushing the button and DC turning into a radioactive wasteland. I am seriously starting to think that the people running our market based consumerist society lack the perspective to understand ancient civilizations.
you should know that when you use the mushroom cloud defense, you have lost the argument. Russia is not going to turn Moscow into a radioactive wasteland over Ukrainian purchases of US weaponry.

Realitybites
What you proposed was a Ukrainian annexation of Russian territory. That will trigger a nuclear war. Don't assume that just because we didn't react when Mexico performed a cultural annexation of California and South Texas that other countries will behave in a similar manner.
Bear8084
Realitybites said:

What you proposed was a Ukrainian annexation of Russian territory. That will trigger a nuclear war. Don't assume that just because we didn't react when Mexico performed a cultural annexation of California and South Texas that other countries will behave in a similar manner.

They would not, and it's not Russian territory to begin with.
whiterock
Bear8084 said:

Realitybites said:

They would not, and it's not Russian territory to begin with.
indeed. currently recognized internationally as Ukrainian territory, per borders defined by former USSR. Subsequent Russian conquest & annexation has not been recognized by international community.

Russia is not going to trade Moscow for Sebastopol.
Redbrickbear

Cobretti
FLBear5630
Realitybites said:

sombear said:

You may see that. You may see a new Govt, new Borders and Russia keeping their gains. Auto membership to NATO and EU.
KaiBear
What about all those reported 'sanctions' that were supposed to bring Russia to it's knees ?

Sure don't hear much about them anymore.
Redbrickbear
boognish_bear
ron.reagan
KaiBear said:

What about all those reported 'sanctions' that were supposed to bring Russia to it's knees ?

Putin was on his knees to Kim Jong Un and Ali Khamenei. What signs are there that their economy is not in a complete disaster?
ron.reagan
Realitybites said:

Putin actually knows that he wouldn't survive a nuclear war. The only question is if anyone else would. He certainly wouldn't give his life for Ukraine as he won't even give it for Russia.
KaiBear
ron.reagan said:

KaiBear said:

Putin was on his knees to Kim Jong Un and Ali Khamenei. What signs are there that their economy is not in a complete disaster?

If these vaunted sanctions are so wonderful, why isn't Putin begging for a peace treaty ?
Redbrickbear
ron.reagan said:

KaiBear said:

Washington aligned media certainly seems less sure of the sanctions than they did at the beginning.

[Nearly 18 months after the Ukraine war started, Russia's economy appears to be humming along baffling economists who predicted catastrophic outcomes following sweeping sanctions against Moscow's invasion of Ukraine.

While some economists have questioned the quality and veracity of Russian data releases, a New York Times report on Monday offered a nuanced picture of the country's wartime economy and how it's helping drum up popular support for Vladimir Putin.]

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-war-economy-government-boom-crash-sanctions-ukraine-invasion-2023-8?amp

A major issue is probably that most of the world has ignored the U.S. led effort to freeze them out of global trade.

Bear8084
https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/infographics/impact-sanctions-russian-economy/
FLBear5630
Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

KaiBear said:

Washington aligned media certainly seems less sure of the sanctions than they did at the beginning.

[Nearly 18 months after the Ukraine war started, Russia's economy appears to be humming along baffling economists who predicted catastrophic outcomes following sweeping sanctions against Moscow's invasion of Ukraine.

While some economists have questioned the quality and veracity of Russian data releases, a New York Times report on Monday offered a nuanced picture of the country's wartime economy and how it's helping drum up popular support for Vladimir Putin.]

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-war-economy-government-boom-crash-sanctions-ukraine-invasion-2023-8?amp

A major issue is probably that most of the world has ignored the U.S. led effort to freeze them out of global trade.

China bailed Russia out. Sanctions mean nothing, they have a market.
First Page Last Page
Page 39 of 168

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.