Why Are We in Ukraine?

320,853 Views | 5859 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by whiterock
The_barBEARian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

[The Tucker Interview

Here's my take in The European Conservative.

It didn't amount to much, did it? This is not Carlson's fault; Putin blustered and rambled. I believe he failed significantly by spending the first half hour giving a history lesson. It's not that history is unimportant here. In fact, it's hugely important, as Americans fail to understand. The error Putin made was not understanding his communication purpose here. That is, if his goal was to appeal to ordinary Americans and it was then he should have spoken more precisely.

Nevertheless, it was significant that this aired, because it is important to understand how our enemies see themselves. This is why I watched Russian propaganda in the early days of the war, until it was removed from European channels. Of course it was propaganda but so too is what the US government and its allies were putting out. That is, if we define "propaganda" as the selective marshaling of facts into a narrative meant to justify a government's action. That's what governments do!

The most valuable thing from the interview, it seems to me, is the way it revealed to American viewers how important history is to Putin's thinking. This is something I've generally observed since I moved to Europe. Americans are profoundly disconnected from history. Most peoples in the world do not share this relationship to the past. We Americans err, and err consequentially, by assuming that everybody else in the world holds their past lightly, if at all. Only Americans could have been convinced by government propaganda that Iraqis would welcome us as liberators, that the deep tribal and religious divisions in Iraqi society were not a real issue when it came to establishing liberal democracy there, and that anybody who said otherwise was a racist who didn't want Arabs to have nice things.

What did you think of the interview? To me, the most significant moment came when Putin said, addressing a hypothetical American, What are you doing over here, making war where you don't belong? Don't you have enough problems at home, with your open border, and your overwhelming debt?

One more thing: CNN is calling the interview a "propaganda victory" for Putin. Absurd. Every interview with a political leader, especially during wartime, is "propaganda". Do they really think their fawning coverage of Volodomyr Zelensky isn't propaganda? I don't fault Zelensky for this, nor do I fault to a point CNN. It is the journalist's responsibility to sit down and interview these figures. If they are any good, they will ask important questions. And, subsequent journalism will help readers and viewers sort out truth from fiction in what the leader said. There is this bizarre, willful naivete that has taken over American journalism, which says that views from the leaders of whom we approve, and whose causes we favor, is "real," but the views of our enemies and their spokesmen are "propaganda." This is how we surrender thinking to those who do not have our best interests at heart.] -Rod Dreher
Tucker's interview was the solid journalism. That's why alphabet "journalists" are attacking it.

Most damning part of that interview, if true, was Putin saying the CIA was supporting Islamists in Chechnya against the Russian state.

trey3216
Redbrickbear said:

[The Tucker Interview

It didn't amount to much, did it? This is not Carlson's fault; Putin blustered and rambled. I believe he failed significantly by spending the first half hour giving a history lesson. It's not that history is unimportant here. In fact, it's hugely important, as Americans fail to understand. The error Putin made was not understanding his communication purpose here. That is, if his goal was to appeal to ordinary Americans and it was then he should have spoken more precisely.

Nevertheless, it was significant that this aired, because it is important to understand how our enemies see themselves. This is why I watched Russian propaganda in the early days of the war, until it was removed from European channels. Of course it was propaganda but so too is what the US government and its allies were putting out. That is, if we define "propaganda" as the selective marshaling of facts into a narrative meant to justify a government's action. That's what governments do!

The most valuable thing from the interview, it seems to me, is the way it revealed to American viewers how important history is to Putin's thinking. This is something I've generally observed since I moved to Europe. Americans are profoundly disconnected from history. Most peoples in the world do not share this relationship to the past. We Americans err, and err consequentially, by assuming that everybody else in the world holds their past lightly, if at all. Only Americans could have been convinced by government propaganda that Iraqis would welcome us as liberators, that the deep tribal and religious divisions in Iraqi society were not a real issue when it came to establishing liberal democracy there, and that anybody who said otherwise was a racist who didn't want Arabs to have nice things.

What did you think of the interview? To me, the most significant moment came when Putin said, addressing a hypothetical American, What are you doing over here, making war where you don't belong? Don't you have enough problems at home, with your open border, and your overwhelming debt?

One more thing: CNN is calling the interview a "propaganda victory" for Putin. Absurd. Every interview with a political leader, especially during wartime, is "propaganda". Do they really think their fawning coverage of Volodomyr Zelensky isn't propaganda? I don't fault Zelensky for this, nor do I fault to a point CNN. It is the journalist's responsibility to sit down and interview these figures. If they are any good, they will ask important questions. And, subsequent journalism will help readers and viewers sort out truth from fiction in what the leader said. There is this bizarre, willful naivete that has taken over American journalism, which says that views from the leaders of whom we approve, and whose causes we favor, is "real," but the views of our enemies and their spokesmen are "propaganda." This is how we surrender thinking to those who do not have our best interests at heart.] -Rod Dreher

A few thoughts on the Tucker-Putin interview:
Having watched the interview last night, I've been very interested in seeing the reaction here on this site. A lot of people have focused on 'Putin as an autistic history nerd' (good memes here), while others have stuck to variations on 'look how his history is a lie and bizarre and strange' or 'he whiffed the PR opportunity and didn't give MAGA anything.'
Ok. The former is funny, the middle is standard signaling and positioning, and the latter is US politics brain. Fine! But there's really tremendous data in here if we want to look seriously. Some points below.

First, the most important thing is indeed the half-hour history lesson. Not only did Putin start with this, and refuse to be interrupted, he even made a big show of gifting documents supporting his arguments to Tucker. What this tells us is that the history component to the Russo-Ukrainian War is not just a point of legitimation or a general casus belli, but the motivating factor for VVP personally. That's really big!
I've argued for a year now that we should understand the proximate cause of the war to be Vladimir Putin's deepening historical obsessions, his sense of personal grievance, and the unique isolation that allowed this to fester in the runup to 2022. You can find an article making that case here: ridl.io/putin-s-agency…. If you've taken my undergraduate course on Russian Politics, it's there as well. This interview is strong supporting data for that framing. Note how often Putin dismisses NATO expansion as the reason for action, as well as how much he does not care about Ukrainian democracy qua democracy. He doesn't even think it is a democracy (note the coup discussions).

Rather, he's clearly motivated - then and now - by historical concerns most of all. And this is important, which some observers may not quite get. He was not always like this! That is, the long rants about history that justify political action have become more and more common in the last ten years, and especially the last four or five. Which fits a model of growing obsession - which, incidentally, also aligns well with Putin's post-2012 sense that only he can stably rule Russia, and that he wants to bequeath a legacy. Tucker wasn't able to get an answer to the core question - why 2022 and not earlier - but this is good material for a obsession interpretation.

Second, another element that came out strongly was Putin's sense of personal insult and snubbing. He is butthurt by his world leader colleagues. We have dozens of minutes of him talking about the Bushes, about documents signed by the French and Germans, about negotiations generally - all of which end with Russia not getting what was promised or it expected. That could be read simply as justification for Russia's actions (i.e., the hypocrisy of the West) but what is mostly communicated, verbally and through body language, is that Putin himself feels slighted, and that he does not understand why others do not see the world, and the consequences of events, as clearly as he does. This is also quite interesting.
There is very little reason to believe this interview is anything less than the sincere views of Putin himself, as a smarter-than-average Russian boomer who is trying to explain why he's right, why he's been aggrieved, and why the other sides are just so stupid and shortsighted. He's booming really hard, it's very evident. He's not sharing everything, but he's telling you that he's not sharing everything with a knowing, paternalistic smile while he says it. And he really wants to get it through your thick skull what actually matters. Rurik, Yaroslav the Wise, 1654, Bohdan Khmelnitsky, the Soviet Union and the border changes, leaders just not being reasonable, etc etc.

Third, I don't think we can understand this interview as some sort of functionalist strategic communication exercise at all. VVP clearly did not care to talk about US political issues, he did not "throw red meat to MAGA" or whatever, he did not rise to the bait several times to get on a cleaner messaging narrative that would sell with an international audience of illiberal or West-skeptical types. At all! It was the above, which means this interview was about what Vladimir Putin himself thought rather than what he thought would sell best. That's incredibly unusual for an interview like this.
We didn't get anything about cancel culture, or gender ideology, or Biden being senile, or the US being this evil tentacled hegemon that threatens global peace. He was actually incredibly circumspect on that sort of thing. Much more so than in other venues in the recent past. This was Putin as pedagogue-in-chief, trying to educate Tucker not only about history, but also about how the world actually works. Look to the wandering discussion on the Orange Revolution, Yanukovych, the various negotiations, for that. The personal resentment comes out here in a distinct way, as disappointment and confusion as to why other international partners just don't get it the way VVP does.

Truly, the most framed or set-up part of this interview was the point about the spring 2022 negotiations (note his arg that instead of the Battle of Kyiv being lost, it was a part of a negotiation that got cut short by Johnson's intervention - an interesting assertion). And Tucker got him to talk about future potential negotiations as well. That was also enlightening, as it reiterated Putin's world-weary points that the other side doesn't get it and is stubborn, and that there is a 'reasonable' way out if only leaders would be clear-eyed.

This is important to keep in mind, especially as Putin seems quite confident the war is going well enough that he can just wait for negotiations to inevitably appear. Also note his regular recourse to proceduralism - negotiations are detailed, complicated, have many moving parts. The bureaucratic KGB and legal background always shines through with Putin at the end of the day.
Finally, as I've noted, this interview was pretty strange. Tucker tried to move things in a way that fit his own views (NATO expansion, the 'who runs the US' question, demonic forces on earth (?)), which was pretty cringe. But he actually did a decent job overall (sorry!). He asked about Gershkovich and pushed fairly hard all things considered, he got steamrolled by VVP but managed to barely hold on given the very meandering discussion (Putin's framing of 2004 and 2013-14 is genuinely difficult to understand if you don't already know the events quite well), he didn't crash the interview so bad that it ended early, he figured out he had a unique opportunity to let Putin talk, and in doing so he provided us a unique window into VVP.

It turns out that Putin says the same thing to Tucker as he does to Ru journos, with even more Putinsplaining. Which is illuminating! The history thing is the real deal, as is his belief that negotiations (in Russia's favor and in accordance with Putin's own sense of what is reasonable) are possible. Both of these things are really important for us to get at analytically.
I'm still thinking about this, but those are some topline takeaways as I process it this morning.

i.e. Putin is a history (especially Russian Power & Might History) obsessed authoritarian throwing a tantrum because he feels snubbed by the other global powers and he's going to take what he wants or die trying. Basically what several of us have been saying all along.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
FLBear5630
trey3216 said:

Redbrickbear said:

[The Tucker Interview

Having watched the interview last night, I've been very interested in seeing the reaction here on this site. A lot of people have focused on 'Putin as an autistic history nerd' (good memes here), while others have stuck to variations on 'look how his history is a lie and bizarre and strange' or 'he whiffed the PR opportunity and didn't give MAGA anything.'
Ok. The former is funny, the middle is standard signaling and positioning, and the latter is US politics brain. Fine! But there's really tremendous data in here if we want to look seriously. Some points below.

First, the most important thing is indeed the half-hour history lesson. Not only did Putin start with this, and refuse to be interrupted, he even made a big show of gifting documents supporting his arguments to Tucker. What this tells us is that the history component to the Russo-Ukrainian War is not just a point of legitimation or a general casus belli, but the motivating factor for VVP personally. That's really big!
I've argued for a year now that we should understand the proximate cause of the war to be Vladimir Putin's deepening historical obsessions, his sense of personal grievance, and the unique isolation that allowed this to fester in the runup to 2022. You can find an article making that case here: ridl.io/putin-s-agency…. If you've taken my undergraduate course on Russian Politics, it's there as well. This interview is strong supporting data for that framing. Note how often Putin dismisses NATO expansion as the reason for action, as well as how much he does not care about Ukrainian democracy qua democracy. He doesn't even think it is a democracy (note the coup discussions).

Rather, he's clearly motivated - then and now - by historical concerns most of all. And this is important, which some observers may not quite get. He was not always like this! That is, the long rants about history that justify political action have become more and more common in the last ten years, and especially the last four or five. Which fits a model of growing obsession - which, incidentally, also aligns well with Putin's post-2012 sense that only he can stably rule Russia, and that he wants to bequeath a legacy. Tucker wasn't able to get an answer to the core question - why 2022 and not earlier - but this is good material for a obsession interpretation.

Second, another element that came out strongly was Putin's sense of personal insult and snubbing. He is butthurt by his world leader colleagues. We have dozens of minutes of him talking about the Bushes, about documents signed by the French and Germans, about negotiations generally - all of which end with Russia not getting what was promised or it expected. That could be read simply as justification for Russia's actions (i.e., the hypocrisy of the West) but what is mostly communicated, verbally and through body language, is that Putin himself feels slighted, and that he does not understand why others do not see the world, and the consequences of events, as clearly as he does. This is also quite interesting.
There is very little reason to believe this interview is anything less than the sincere views of Putin himself, as a smarter-than-average Russian boomer who is trying to explain why he's right, why he's been aggrieved, and why the other sides are just so stupid and shortsighted. He's booming really hard, it's very evident. He's not sharing everything, but he's telling you that he's not sharing everything with a knowing, paternalistic smile while he says it. And he really wants to get it through your thick skull what actually matters. Rurik, Yaroslav the Wise, 1654, Bohdan Khmelnitsky, the Soviet Union and the border changes, leaders just not being reasonable, etc etc.

Third, I don't think we can understand this interview as some sort of functionalist strategic communication exercise at all. VVP clearly did not care to talk about US political issues, he did not "throw red meat to MAGA" or whatever, he did not rise to the bait several times to get on a cleaner messaging narrative that would sell with an international audience of illiberal or West-skeptical types. At all! It was the above, which means this interview was about what Vladimir Putin himself thought rather than what he thought would sell best. That's incredibly unusual for an interview like this.
We didn't get anything about cancel culture, or gender ideology, or Biden being senile, or the US being this evil tentacled hegemon that threatens global peace. He was actually incredibly circumspect on that sort of thing. Much more so than in other venues in the recent past. This was Putin as pedagogue-in-chief, trying to educate Tucker not only about history, but also about how the world actually works. Look to the wandering discussion on the Orange Revolution, Yanukovych, the various negotiations, for that. The personal resentment comes out here in a distinct way, as disappointment and confusion as to why other international partners just don't get it the way VVP does.

Truly, the most framed or set-up part of this interview was the point about the spring 2022 negotiations (note his arg that instead of the Battle of Kyiv being lost, it was a part of a negotiation that got cut short by Johnson's intervention - an interesting assertion). And Tucker got him to talk about future potential negotiations as well. That was also enlightening, as it reiterated Putin's world-weary points that the other side doesn't get it and is stubborn, and that there is a 'reasonable' way out if only leaders would be clear-eyed.

This is important to keep in mind, especially as Putin seems quite confident the war is going well enough that he can just wait for negotiations to inevitably appear. Also note his regular recourse to proceduralism - negotiations are detailed, complicated, have many moving parts. The bureaucratic KGB and legal background always shines through with Putin at the end of the day.
Finally, as I've noted, this interview was pretty strange. Tucker tried to move things in a way that fit his own views (NATO expansion, the 'who runs the US' question, demonic forces on earth (?)), which was pretty cringe. But he actually did a decent job overall (sorry!). He asked about Gershkovich and pushed fairly hard all things considered, he got steamrolled by VVP but managed to barely hold on given the very meandering discussion (Putin's framing of 2004 and 2013-14 is genuinely difficult to understand if you don't already know the events quite well), he didn't crash the interview so bad that it ended early, he figured out he had a unique opportunity to let Putin talk, and in doing so he provided us a unique window into VVP.

It turns out that Putin says the same thing to Tucker as he does to Ru journos, with even more Putinsplaining. Which is illuminating! The history thing is the real deal, as is his belief that negotiations (in Russia's favor and in accordance with Putin's own sense of what is reasonable) are possible. Both of these things are really important for us to get at analytically.
I'm still thinking about this, but those are some topline takeaways as I process it this morning.

i.e. Putin is a history (especially Russian Power & Might History) obsessed authoritarian throwing a tantrum because he feels snubbed by the other global powers and he's going to take what he wants or die trying. Basically what several of us have been saying all along.
"What are you doing over here, making war where you don't belong? Don't you have enough problems at home, with your open border, and your overwhelming debt?"

That tells me he was counting on the US NOT being a player when he invaded. Wonder who was advising him the US wouldn't go in to significantly support Ukraine because of domestic issues and debt??? Someone gave him bad advice.
Cobretti
The_barBEARian
No.

That tells me he has more intelligence than most of the fool neo-cons on this board who seem perfectly willing to sacrifice the US dollar to run-away inflation.

We are prioritizing things that ultimately matter very little, the fate of Ukraine, over things that matter a great deal, ie having a secure southern border, crime, homelessness, replacing obsolete, broken infrastructure, endless printing of money that destroys every middle class tax payers savings, and a national debt to GDP ratio that ultimate destroy the USD as the global reserve currency.
Cobretti
ron.reagan
The_barBEARian said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

[The Tucker Interview

Tucker's interview was the solid journalism. That's why alphabet "journalists" are attacking it.

Most damning part of that interview, if true, was Putin saying the CIA was supporting Islamists in Chechnya against the Russian state.

I thought the most damning part was saying the Canadian parliament was celebrating a Nazi when anyone with a positive IQ realized it was a bunch of people clapping for some old guy they knew nothing about.
trey3216
FLBear5630 said:

trey3216 said:

Redbrickbear said:

[The Tucker Interview

"What are you doing over here, making war where you don't belong? Don't you have enough problems at home, with your open border, and your overwhelming debt?"

That tells me he was counting on the US NOT being a player when he invaded. Wonder who was advising him the US wouldn't go in to significantly support Ukraine because of domestic issues and debt??? Someone gave him bad advice.
That someone is looking at him in the mirror.
Sam Lowry
sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Mighty powerful sandwiches.

$5 Billion is some mighty expensive sandwiches

The $5 billion goes back to 1991 assistance. Had nothing to do with Maidan.

It had everything to do with Maidan. It was funding for the National Endowment for Democracy, which is essentially a front for the CIA.
FLBear5630
The_barBEARian said:

No.

That tells me he has more intelligence than most of the fool neo-cons on this board who seem perfectly willing to sacrifice the US dollar to run-away inflation.

We are prioritizing things that ultimately matter very little, the fate of Ukraine, over things that matter a great deal, ie having a secure southern border, crime, homelessness, replacing obsolete, broken infrastructure, endless printing of money that destroys every middle class tax payers savings, and a national debt to GDP ratio that ultimate destroy the USD as the global reserve currency.
Yeah, that's what he meant...
FLBear5630
trey3216 said:

FLBear5630 said:

trey3216 said:

Redbrickbear said:

[The Tucker Interview

You really think he didn't get any intel on how the US would react to his rolling tanks over the border? Whether we would go all in, send blankets, or just pull a Trump and send Javelins. Right or wrong, the US supplying real capabilities is a total wild card. Dementia will do that...

You also think no one's head rolled in Moscow over the US response? There is no way he does this if he knew that NATO would supply and Ukraine would be able to do so much damage. This was supposed to be Crimea to the river. A three week sprint.
Sam Lowry
FLBear5630 said:

trey3216 said:

FLBear5630 said:

trey3216 said:

Redbrickbear said:

[The Tucker Interview

You really think he didn't get any intel on how the US would react to his rolling tanks over the border? Whether we would go all in, send blankets, or just pull a Trump and send Javelins. Right or wrong, the US supplying real capabilities is a total wild card. Dementia will do that...

You also think no one's head rolled in Moscow over the US response? There is no way he does this if he knew that NATO would supply and Ukraine would be able to do so much damage. This was supposed to be Crimea to the river. A three week sprint.
It was obviously a rhetorical question. Putin spent years preparing and was certainly not surprised. Disappointed that we didn't negotiate after the sprint, sure, but not surprised.
Bear8084
Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

trey3216 said:

FLBear5630 said:

trey3216 said:

Redbrickbear said:

[The Tucker Interview

It was obviously a rhetorical question. Putin spent years preparing and was certainly not surprised. Disappointed that we didn't negotiate after the sprint, sure, but not surprised.

Wrong, shill.
sombear
Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

It had everything to do with Maidan. It was funding for the National Endowment for Democracy, which is essentially a front for the CIA.

In 1991, helping a fledgling new country?
Sam Lowry
sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Allen Weinstein, a former acting president of the NED, said this to the Washington Post in 1991: "A lot of what we do today was done covertly 25 years ago by the CIA. The biggest difference is that when such activities are done overtly, the flap potential is close to zero. Openness is its own protection." His organization had taken over many of those activities that were merely unsavory as opposed to downright nasty. No doubt the CIA had its own covert role as well.
Redbrickbear
sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bear8084 said:

Yes, rich politicians in DC love to help other countries out of the goodness of their own hearts and I'm sure the $5 billion we sent to Ukraine was in fact used to teach women there about feminism and sponsor talks about setting up a modern Judiciary

(and Im sure it was spent on other clandestine items as well)
trey3216
FLBear5630 said:

trey3216 said:

FLBear5630 said:

trey3216 said:

Redbrickbear said:

[The Tucker Interview

Dozens, if not hundreds of heads have rolled in Moscow because of this...Doesn't change the fact that it was his action and no one is telling Vlady "No", and would he listen to them even if they did?
FLBear5630
trey3216 said:

FLBear5630 said:

trey3216 said:

FLBear5630 said:

trey3216 said:

Redbrickbear said:

[The Tucker Interview

Dozens, if not hundreds of heads have rolled in Moscow because of this...Doesn't change the fact that it was his action and no one is telling Vlady "No", and would he listen to them even if they did?
I do agree that he would not listen. But, I guarantee he didn't invade without an analysis of how the US would respond.
trey3216
I think he looked at the debacle that was the Afghanistan withdrawal and decided, without question, that we would do absolutely nothing….just like '14

I think the ones that told him otherwise have "fallen out of windows" and had "mysterious heart failure".
Redbrickbear
trey3216 said:

I think he looked at the debacle that was the Afghanistan withdrawal and decided, without question, that we would do absolutely nothing….just like '14

I think the ones that told him otherwise have "fallen out of windows" and had "mysterious heart failure".

Not all of them (truth be told he kills far less of them than people think)

But many did try and warn him of the bad consequences of an invasion.

And they are the only ones keeping the lights on in Russia.

ATL Bear
I think we need to change the name of the CIA to SPECTRE. We're at movie fantasy level of what some of you think the Agency is capable of.

Redbrickbear
ATL Bear said:

I think we need to change the name of the CIA to SPECTRE. We're at movie fantasy level of what some of you think the Agency is capable of.

The CIA has come out and admitted it was involved in influencing some foreign elections during the Cold War.

If they have lost that ability then something strange is going on and the organization has gone soft…

[The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) has been involved in Italian politics since the end of World War II. The CIA helped swing the 1948 general election in favor of the centrist Christian Democrats and would continue to intervene in Italian politics until at least the early 1960s.]
Redbrickbear

Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
The_barBEARian
Never voting for John Cornyn again and in fact I will campaign for every co-worker, friends, and family to join me.

Alternatively, I will redouble my efforts to see Ted Cruz re-elected. We have one of the best and one of the worst Republican senators representing us.
Doc Holliday
FLBear5630
Doc Holliday said:

I am not surprised, the over 50 crowd remember what living under Soviet Russia's thumb means. Younger generation have no idea what they are advocating for when they say let Russia have it...
Doc Holliday
FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

I am not surprised, the over 50 crowd remember what living under Soviet Russia's thumb means. Younger generation have no idea what they are advocating for when they say let Russia have it...
If Ukraine is successful in stopping Russia then they're essentially no longer going to be Ukraine but a pawn for the west who will flood their country with immigrants.
Redbrickbear
Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

If Ukraine is successful in stopping Russia then they're essentially no longer going to be Ukraine but a pawn for the west who will flood their country with immigrants.

Yea,

That of course is the important thing to remember.

This war is certainly not about freedom for Ukraine.

At the end of the war Kyiv will be under the influence of Moscow...or under the influence of Brussels (with DC really calling the shots)

Any Ukrainian that thinks they are fighting to determine their own future is sorely mistaken.
Doc Holliday
Redbrickbear said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Yea,

At the end of the war Kyiv will be under the influence of Moscow...or under the influence of Brussels (with DC really calling the shots)

Any Ukrainian that thinks they are fighting to determine their own future is sorely mistaken.
Exactly. The warhawks on here are totally fine with decimating Ukraine to hurt Russia because they've been fed war propaganda their entire lives and don't question any of it.

It's demonic IMO.

In a decade they'll claim they never supported it. Just like how they say they didn't really support the 20 year $7 trillion war in Iraq/Afghanistan when early on they were hoodwinked by our own government lying their asses off. They're not gonna learn, they just want bloodshed.
FLBear5630
Redbrickbear said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Yea,

Well, go to Moldovia or Belarus and then go to Poland or Hungary. Then tell me which one would you prefer to live? Having Brussels or DC calling the shots allows you more freedom and prosperity than Putin and Russia...
Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Yea,

Well, go to Moldovia or Belarus and then go to Poland or Hungary. Then tell me which one would you prefer to live? Having Brussels or DC calling the shots allows you more freedom and prosperity than Putin and Russia...

More prosperity no doubt...that is true.

But as long as we admit that it comes with a new set of rulers. And certainly the EU is no free society when it comes to speech and being arrested for speaking your mind.

Not to mention as was already said on here....it comes with a neo-liberal mentality of open borders.

Ukraine might end up getting rid of the russians...only to be forced to accept millions of MENA or SSA migrants.
FLBear5630
Redbrickbear said:

FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Yea,

But as long as we admit that it comes with a new set of rulers. And certainly the EU is no free society when it comes to speech and being arrested for speaking your mind.

Not to mention as was already said on here....it comes with a neo-liberal mentality of open borders.

Ukraine might end up getting rid of the russians...only to be forced to accept millions of MENA or SSA migrants.
We are in agreement. The EU prosperity comes with rules and they are not shy in enforcing them.

So, it comes down to do you want you nation to be Vienna or Moscow? Either way, you are part of a bigger organization. Give me the EU over Putin...
Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

FLBear5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Doc Holliday said:

FLBear5630 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Yea,

We are in agreement. The EU prosperity comes with rules and they are not shy in enforcing them.

If those "rules" involved the suppression of free speech or the suppression of religious belief….the EU is just a richer version of the old USSR

Freedom is what should be important.

First Page Last Page
Page 66 of 168

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.