Why Are We in Ukraine?

319,723 Views | 5859 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by whiterock
Redbrickbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

There is zero willingness of any of the NATO populations to fight and die for Ukraine or even other each other .

The combat readiness of almost every NATO country is non existent.

Ukraine is running out of resources; especially in manpower .

Meanwhile Russia's infrastructure has barely been touched .
The vaunted economic sanctions a complete joke.

By any measure Russia is winning this war and as a result Ukraine needs to reach an accord while they still can salvage their sovereignty.
I do think that the solution will be splitting Ukraine at the Dnieper. But, the only way it works is if the Western Half is admitted to NATO and EU. Otherwise, just a matter of time before Emperor Putin comes for rest.
That would be a massive victory for Russia. Very generous, given status quo. Similarly, a return to pre-2014 borders would be a modest victory for Ukraine. Neither is likely, given status quo.

Most likely outcome is something closer to current battle lines. Russia desperately needs a land bridge to Crimea. Kharkiv not so much.

Yea I don't see anyway a divided Ukriane comes into being.

I think you are correct about stalemate along current lines.

But a divided two Ukriane solution would make some sense

A Republic of Ukraine in the EU and NATO….a Ukrainian peoples republic aligned to Moscow

If Russia actually won the war they wouldn't even be able to hold onto that area before they broke away as most of the Russians there want nothing to do with Putin.

Well let's try and it out and see.

A two ukriane solution is better than a never ending bloody war.

One that has already killed and wounded hundreds of thousands
The mafia made a living off of people as gullible as you are

And here I thought they made a living running prostitution rings, loan sharking, having gambling dens, sports books, no-show jobs, and protection rackets?

I did not think "gullibility" had much to do with it.
I'm not sure I could come up with a list that targets gullible people more exclusively than that.

One that you left off is supper gullible Dallas guys who think the big bad russkies can roll their tanks into Poland.

Or that poorly trained russian conscripts are any threat to our powerful Western European allies.

The lesson you are trying to get across is that military strength doesn't change over time or that we shouldn't take national security seriously?

When has anyone said that?

But I hope you can see the difference between taking national security seriously and dreaming up fantasies of russian conscripts parading in Paris

The USA is a global military hegemon with 30+ powerful nations in its NATO alliance....russia can't even get to Kyiv
FLBear5630
KaiBear said:

FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

There is zero willingness of any of the NATO populations to fight and die for Ukraine or even other each other .

By any measure Russia is winning this war and as a result Ukraine needs to reach an accord while they still can salvage their sovereignty.
no , **** that. we need to give Ukraine what they need to push them back and defeat them on Ukraine land. Eff Russia. If we don't , Baltics are next, followed by Poland. We cannot permit that. Where is the end? Putin needs to be neutered or killed.

Billions of dollars we don't possess doesn't replace Ukraine's dead soldiers .

Their army is on the verge of collapse . Got 18 months left at best .

So the only option is a negotiated settlement or replacing dead Ukrainian soldiers with NATO ground troops.

And the American people would NEVER support that.

A reality every DC war hawk knows
are you kidding? We don't have the $. BS. Give Ukraine what they need. **** Israel.
We are over 32 trillion in debt.

Approximately 30% of all federal revenue is required to just pay the interest .

No business could survive such a business model .

Our economy won't either.

'**** Israel ' ?

LOL

Your girlfriend's certainly have 'motivated' you.
First, you are making a huge mistake comparing a Government to a Business. A Government is not a Business nor should it operate under the same principles. Same are your personal finances are different from a Business and if you did things Personally that a Business can you would never get another loan!

Gotta luv the internet

Actually existed long before the Internet was a sparkle in Al Gores eye
KaiBear
FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

no , **** that. we need to give Ukraine what they need to push them back and defeat them on Ukraine land. Eff Russia. If we don't , Baltics are next, followed by Poland. We cannot permit that. Where is the end? Putin needs to be neutered or killed.

So the only option is a negotiated settlement or replacing dead Ukrainian soldiers with NATO ground troops.

are you kidding? We don't have the $. BS. Give Ukraine what they need. **** Israel.

'**** Israel ' ?

LOL

First, you are making a huge mistake comparing a Government to a Business. A Government is not a Business nor should it operate under the same principles. Same are your personal finances are different from a Business and if you did things Personally that a Business can you would never get another loan!

Gotta luv the internet

Whatever you say.
ron.reagan
KaiBear said:

Childish quips is all you've got boy.

Along with a mountain of debt others aren't going to carry for you indefinitely.
What debt are you talking about exactly? Do you talk to everyone like one of your drug addicted children or something? My college was paid for by your tax dollars.
ron.reagan
Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

I do think that the solution will be splitting Ukraine at the Dnieper. But, the only way it works is if the Western Half is admitted to NATO and EU. Otherwise, just a matter of time before Emperor Putin comes for rest.
That would be a massive victory for Russia. Very generous, given status quo. Similarly, a return to pre-2014 borders would be a modest victory for Ukraine. Neither is likely, given status quo.

Most likely outcome is something closer to current battle lines. Russia desperately needs a land bridge to Crimea. Kharkiv not so much.

A Republic of Ukraine in the EU and NATO….a Ukrainian peoples republic aligned to Moscow

If Russia actually won the war they wouldn't even be able to hold onto that area before they broke away as most of the Russians there want nothing to do with Putin.

And here I thought they made a living running prostitution rings, loan sharking, having gambling dens, sports books, no-show jobs, and protection rackets?

I'm not sure I could come up with a list that targets gullible people more exclusively than that.

One that you left off is supper gullible Dallas guys who think the big bad russkies can roll their tanks into Poland.

Or that poorly trained russian conscripts are any threat to our powerful Western European allies.

The lesson you are trying to get across is that military strength doesn't change over time or that we shouldn't take national security seriously?

But I hope you can see the difference between taking national security seriously and dreaming up fantasies of russian conscripts parading in Paris

The USA is a global military hegemon with 30+ powerful nations in its NATO alliance....russia can't even get to Kyiv
We all know Paris can never be taken over...lmao
Redbrickbear
ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

Not by poorly equipped Russian conscripts it can not

But I forget you are one of those guys for who it's always 1938 and every regional adversary is the Nazis
ron.reagan
Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

But I forget you are one of those guys for who it's always 1938 and every regional adversary is the Nazis
Maybe reread the conversation as you don't even understand what it is about. The point is military power fluctuates drastically over just a handful of years
KaiBear
ron.reagan said:

KaiBear said:

Along with a mountain of debt others aren't going to carry for you indefinitely.
What debt are you talking about exactly? Do you talk to everyone like one of your drug addicted children or something? My college was paid for by your tax dollars.

LOL

Child it has been obvious from day one YOU didn't pay for ir.

And none of my offspring use drugs.

One reason they are all millionaires and you never will be .
ron.reagan
KaiBear said:

ron.reagan said:

KaiBear said:

LOL

Why do you talk like a southern black woman out of an Eddie Murphy movie? Serious question
KaiBear
ron.reagan said:

KaiBear said:

ron.reagan said:

KaiBear said:

LOL

Why do you talk like a southern black woman out of an Eddie Murphy movie? Serious question

Why do you talk like an underachieving, entitled brat ?

Redbrickbear
ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

Maybe reread the conversation as you don't even understand what it is about. The point is military power fluctuates drastically over just a handful of years

"military power fluctuates"

Fair enough…thanks for the super insightful military observation there General Patton

Lucky we spend more than the next top 8 military powers combined and our NATO allies are also very powerful.

Russia is not even close to being a military threat and will not be as its population collapses

FLBear5630
KaiBear said:

FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

'**** Israel ' ?

LOL

Gotta luv the internet

Whatever you say.
You never heard of Keynesian Economics? What did you major in at Baylor?

"Based on his theory, Keynes advocated for increased government expenditures and lower taxes to stimulate demand and pull the global economy out of the Depression. Subsequently, Keynesian economics was used to refer to the concept that optimal economic performance could be achievedand economic slumps could be preventedby influencing aggregate demand through economic intervention by the government. Keynesian economists believe that such intervention can achieve full employment and price stability."

Keynesian Economics Theory: Definition and How It's Used (investopedia.com)

KaiBear
FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

'**** Israel ' ?

LOL

Gotta luv the internet

Whatever you say.

"Based on his theory, Keynes advocated for increased government expenditures and lower taxes to stimulate demand and pull the global economy out of the Depression. Subsequently, Keynesian economics was used to refer to the concept that optimal economic performance could be achievedand economic slumps could be preventedby influencing aggregate demand through economic intervention by the government. Keynesian economists believe that such intervention can achieve full employment and price stability."

Dude

We lead the world in debt.

By a large margin.

It has historically led to hyper inflation and usually economic collapse.

Which is why all presidents before the onset of the Civil
War tried to avoid debt.

This is not remotely a close call.

But you believe whatever you wish .
Sam Lowry
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

I've asked the generic question several times without response, so trying very straightforward specific questions. But I'm not holding my breath on answers.
I've explained it in fairly good detail, and with sources. You and ATL are waiting for the Hollywood version, which we all know you're not going to get.
Literally no explanation or support, but keep grinding Sam.
So when you said you took all that time to read the links, that wasn't true?
Its because I did read the links that I know it doesn't support what you're saying and is gross innuendo. In fact I thought we spent most of the time on your (and Putin's) Nazi fetish.
You know you're lying to yourself.

And we spent most of the time on the Nazi thing because you and Mothra wouldn't let it go. I always said NATO was the real issue.
No one's lying to themselves but you Sam. You still haven't provided any credible evidence to your point. It doesn't even match up with on ground events or timelines. It is the equivalent of circumstantial here say.
Again that is just a straight up lie. As one of many examples, I called attention to the online TV channel that Pyatt helped launch before the coup and showed you exactly how it fit the timeline. You're free to ignore the evidence, but please don't deliberately misrepresent it.
The lie is framing that as some sort of coup mechanism. Did you know there were multiple channels of similar style operating in Ukraine for years prior? Hell, Yanukovych even did interviews on them. This is absolutely laughable association.
This makes no sense. No one is saying that all webcasts are "coup mechanisms." Only the ones that, you know, work in support of a coup.
Such as? I mean give us the goods of the content that sparked the rebellion.

I mean the first thing they did in Donetsk when the Russians showed up in 2014 was shut down Kyiv TV and replace it with the Russian state channel. They didn't change the pro Russian TV channels in the rest of Ukraine until they were on the brink of being invaded.
Transcripts or it didn't happen…LOL. And if they existed you'd just deny them too.
So you literally have no actual support of your claim. I mean for it to be considered a coup mechanism, it at least has to enter gray-zone warfare level of conflict, not just general ideological competition, or even favorable position propaganda or advocacy. Gobs of Russian deep fakes, coordinated disinformation campaigns, armed agents, political candidate insertions, take over of broadcasting facilities, etc. have all been identified and made public. You've presented nothing more than supposition after supposition.
A coup mechanism is any mechanism that one uses to accomplish a coup. The rest is just you trying to define away the issue.

I've drawn you a straight line from our early support of right-wing extremists, to their resurgence after the Cold War with our help, to their key role in Maidan. Nuland met with the leader of Svoboda in December 2013 (she wasn't just there to serve sandwiches) and again a week before the government collapsed. We don't have to speculate about why they met because we have direct evidence in the form of her taped conversation. We know that, contrary to the agreement with Yanukovych, the US was pushing for total regime change with the "Big Three" as a replacement. This was far from mere advocacy, considering how dependent these would-be rulers were on our support. It was a signal of what we would do going forward and what kind of success they could expect if they kept the pressure on.
This is a complete fabrication and false alignment of events. It's not even worth rehashing because I've dealt with each point independently, and shown where it doesn't fit with the events. Now you're parsing the Nuland phone call, which was a Russian intel op by the way, and going hook line and sinker there with wild inferences.

Not every counter policy opinion or effort is a coup mechanism.
You keep saying it. You haven't really shown it or even tried to.

Again, no one is saying that every policy opinion or effort is a "coup mechanism." It's only those that are in service of a coup.
FLBear5630
KaiBear said:

FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

FLBear5630 said:

KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

'**** Israel ' ?

LOL

Gotta luv the internet

Whatever you say.

Dude

We lead the world in debt.

By a large margin.

It has historically led to hyper inflation and usually economic collapse.

Which is why all presidents before the onset of the Civil
War tried to avoid debt.

This is not remotely a close call.

But you believe whatever you wish .
I didn't say that Keynesian Economics was the policy of choice. Just a legitimate economic system. Hard to argue something if we don't acknowledge what they are trying to do. Depression era it was the rage, then it went out. Lately it has been coming back. Yellen is a Keynesian. I brought it up more as an explanation of what I think is going on, not an endorsement, and why the debt argument falls on deaf ears. They do not see debt as a problem, but as a tool to manage the economy. My opinion is that they are managing the economy on the Philips Curve below. I understand it from Public Finance, but I guarantee there are people on here with a much better understanding at the Macro level. My point is that railing about debt will not make a dent, they don't see it as a problem.

The Remarkable Janet Yellen (forbes.com)
Janet Yellen: A Keynesian Woman at the Fed | The New Yorker

We're All Keynesians Now (forbes.com)
Keynes Was Really A Conservative (forbes.com)
Keynesian Cons - The American Conservative
J.R.
KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

'**** Israel ' ?

LOL

no, not my girlfriend , pal . just a friend. I guarantee you she is much more successful career wise than you will ever be. She is a C Suite Exec at a Fortune 100 Company. She grew up in Canada and Singapore. Girlfriend is German. My issue with Israel and it has nothing to do with my friend. Why is it we give all the aid to Israel and now they give us the middle finger . **** them.
KaiBear
J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

J.R. said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

'**** Israel ' ?

LOL

I guarantee you she is much more successful career wise than you will ever be.

Maybe so

Maybe not

Have not struggled to make a few nickels every now and then.

whiterock
KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

There is zero willingness of any of the NATO populations to fight and die for Ukraine or even other each other.
The manicheanism of "zero/any" renders this statement flatly untrue. Not true of Finland or Sweden. Not true of the Baltics. Nor is it true of Poland, or Romania. And the numbers jump if we talk about further Russian encroachments.

again, more manicheanism. The militaries are smaller than they should be, and in aggregate the level of readiness is subpar, but there are several nations who have very capable armies that are far more capable than the Russians.

Ukraine is running out of ammo. They have enough men to soldier on for years.

Flatly untrue. Russia is sending 70-year old tanks to the front, borrowing-back ammo it gave to North Korea 70 years ago. Russia is unable to replace mechanized vehicles or arty tubes at the rate it's burning it up.
The false dilemma you've created here is one of expectations - that economic sanctions which do not crater a country's eonomy have no value. Nothing could be further from the truth. Sanctions drive up the cost of doing business, and afford diplomats more things to negotiate over. They can cripple key sectors of the economy, and have done so specifically on weapons & ordnance to great effect.

Russia is making small, tactical gains in some sectors, after having suffered several months of tactical losses in some sectors, which was preceded by a prior period of some tactical gains, which of course was prefaced by some significant tactical losses.
This war can go on for years, and likely will until well after Trump is inaugurated. And if Trump does indeed follow up on his statement about a "lend/lease" to Ukraine, Russia will be in a world of hurt. They are stretched to the breaking point. We start building bases in Finland and Sweden, increasing troop deployments to the Baltics, and loading Ukraine up on arty rounds & long-range missiles....Russia will have to sue for peace.

You are nuts.

Ukraine can't endure continued infrastructure and manpower losses for years .

They are barely holding on now.

And your hero Trump is never going to be president again.

His latest political gaffe will be followed by even more erratic ones as Election Day approaches.A
As long as Nato keeps sending Ammo, Ukrainians will keep killing Russians, who are in a condition not much better than the Ukrainians.....

Wars of attrition are ugly things.

No it's just entertainment to goofs like you.
I have a daughter on the front-line of the conflict and would very much prefer she avoid combat, which will be far less likely if we push ahead and help Ukraine finish the job.

A bloodletting that Biden help bring on.
Agreed.

And money can NOT replace dead soldiers.
That is a reciprocal equation. Russia is losing soldiers at a rate greater than their numerical advantage.

Russia has far deeper reserves. Far deeper pools of manpower.
Which they cannot tap due to having to defend a far larger geographic footprint, AND to avoid political destabilization in core Russian demographic areas.

This war is either going to end via a diplomatic settlement or a rapid of the Ukrainian army within the next 14 months.
14 months is a good guess. I would put it closer to 24 months. Everyone wants to see what Trump will do. Those who think he's going to hand Ukraine over to Putin are going to be sorely disappointed.

Bull****

How exactly do you have a daughter on the 'front line' of the Russia Ukraine battlefield ?
See below

Dude
Trump is not going to be president .
You might be right. But a lot of people made fools of themselves in 2016 saying exactly that, so I advise a little more hedging.

Why would the Dems ' steal the election' in 2020 only to play nice in 2024 ?
Discussed before. It's only viable to steal a close election, 3pts margins or less. Any more than that, and the math starts to highlight rather than obscure the funny business. That's why Dems are panicking. Biden is down nationally, and down well-outside the 3pt range in enough swing states to make fraud non-viable. That's why you hear Trump talking about winning big......to overwhelm the fraud.

Besides Trump is continually verbally self destructive.
He's going to scare the living **** out of independent voters right into Biden's camp.
Fact is, right now he's winning them comfortably. That's because Biden is scaring the **** out of them even more. And it's not likely to change.

For six months after Putin invaded Ukraine, my daughter was C/OPs at a US AF base in Germany and kept several squadrons of fully armed F-16's in the air flying CAPs over Romania & the Black Sea (playing bump & nudge with Russian fighters). Because of that deployment, her base had to bring in squadrons of two additional airframes: F-15s to do the CAPs over Germany (what had previously been the mission of the F-16s), and KC-130 tankers to refuel everything. She had to not only refuel, resupply, and maintain the F-16s deployed to Romania, but also open up two entire supply chains for the new aircraft: new hangars, new supply depots, additional fueling storage and stations, additional maintenance yards, etc..... We're talking 600x fuel usage over pre-invasion levels (and all other supply metrics showing similar jumps). It was 24/7, 7 days a week 31 days a month, no leave & little sleep kind of duty. She did a quick rotate back to Pentagon for a year (hated it) and took the option of early enrollment at the C&GS school, which is wrapping up soon. In June, she takes over command of a "mobility unit" in Italy. Wife and I will likely go over to attend the ceremony. "Mobility Units" are theater rather than base specific. Meaning she will not serve the base but rather front line units on deployment.

All that's to say she's already been on the ramparts to deter Russian decisionmaking. For the next two years, if Nato does end up engaged, under whatever scenario that may entail, she will be responsible for pushing troop units, artillery pieces, weapons systems, ammo for all the foregoing, MREs, uniforms, mobile hospital units, etc.....downrange to the center of the Nato line. She had in mind becoming an Africanist (she remembers living there). But timing is what it is and she was in the right place at the right time and now will likely be climbing the Nato mission ladder for the rest of her career.

The most obvious way to keep her from dodging Russian missiles is to win the damned war in Ukraine. Any other outcome increases the risk to her, and all the other sons & daughters in uniform, who are on war footing as we debate this. It's hard to understand how smart people can work so hard to avoid seeing such an obvious reality staring them in the face. The costs of finishing the job in Ukraine are nominal compared to the costs of dealing with a loss.
whiterock
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

A coup mechanism is any mechanism that one uses to accomplish a coup. The rest is just you trying to define away the issue.

I've drawn you a straight line from our early support of right-wing extremists, to their resurgence after the Cold War with our help, to their key role in Maidan. Nuland met with the leader of Svoboda in December 2013 (she wasn't just there to serve sandwiches) and again a week before the government collapsed. We don't have to speculate about why they met because we have direct evidence in the form of her taped conversation. We know that, contrary to the agreement with Yanukovych, the US was pushing for total regime change with the "Big Three" as a replacement. This was far from mere advocacy, considering how dependent these would-be rulers were on our support. It was a signal of what we would do going forward and what kind of success they could expect if they kept the pressure on.
This is a complete fabrication and false alignment of events. It's not even worth rehashing because I've dealt with each point independently, and shown where it doesn't fit with the events. Now you're parsing the Nuland phone call, which was a Russian intel op by the way, and going hook line and sinker there with wild inferences.

Sweet Jesus, Sam has gone thru the rabbit hole of Third World Think = The USG is omniscient and omnipotent, so if something significant happened, by definition the USG either sponsored or allowed it.

Reality is this: Ambassadors all over the world talk to opposition party leaders all the time. it's their job. Those opposition leaders might win an election someday. They might win a coup some day. Better to know them than not.

And IF the USG is going to engage in hanky panky with an opposition leader/party, it's damned sure not going to do it with an Ambassador. LOLOLOLOL. I mean, what the heck does Sam think the CIA is used for? In the exceedingly rare instances when such does happen, you keep your Ambassador as far away from it as possible = plausible deniability.

Mercy sakes Ukraine has totally discombobulated poor Sam.

Thi
Redbrickbear
whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

There is zero willingness of any of the NATO populations to fight and die for Ukraine or even other each other.
The manicheanism of "zero/any" renders this statement flatly untrue. Not true of Finland or Sweden. Not true of the Baltics. Nor is it true of Poland, or Romania. And the numbers jump if we talk about further Russian encroachments.

again, more manicheanism. The militaries are smaller than they should be, and in aggregate the level of readiness is subpar, but there are several nations who have very capable armies that are far more capable than the Russians.

Flatly untrue. Russia is sending 70-year old tanks to the front, borrowing-back ammo it gave to North Korea 70 years ago. Russia is unable to replace mechanized vehicles or arty tubes at the rate it's burning it up.
The false dilemma you've created here is one of expectations - that economic sanctions which do not crater a country's eonomy have no value. Nothing could be further from the truth. Sanctions drive up the cost of doing business, and afford diplomats more things to negotiate over. They can cripple key sectors of the economy, and have done so specifically on weapons & ordnance to great effect.

Russia is making small, tactical gains in some sectors, after having suffered several months of tactical losses in some sectors, which was preceded by a prior period of some tactical gains, which of course was prefaced by some significant tactical losses.
This war can go on for years, and likely will until well after Trump is inaugurated. And if Trump does indeed follow up on his statement about a "lend/lease" to Ukraine, Russia will be in a world of hurt. They are stretched to the breaking point. We start building bases in Finland and Sweden, increasing troop deployments to the Baltics, and loading Ukraine up on arty rounds & long-range missiles....Russia will have to sue for peace.

You are nuts.

His latest political gaffe will be followed by even more erratic ones as Election Day approaches.A
As long as Nato keeps sending Ammo, Ukrainians will keep killing Russians, who are in a condition not much better than the Ukrainians.....

I have a daughter on the front-line of the conflict and would very much prefer she avoid combat, which will be far less likely if we push ahead and help Ukraine finish the job.

Agreed.

That is a reciprocal equation. Russia is losing soldiers at a rate greater than their numerical advantage.

Which they cannot tap due to having to defend a far larger geographic footprint, AND to avoid political destabilization in core Russian demographic areas.

This war is either going to end via a diplomatic settlement or a rapid of the Ukrainian army within the next 14 months.
14 months is a good guess. I would put it closer to 24 months. Everyone wants to see what Trump will do. Those who think he's going to hand Ukraine over to Putin are going to be sorely disappointed.

Bull****

How exactly do you have a daughter on the 'front line' of the Russia Ukraine battlefield ?
See below

Dude
You might be right. But a lot of people made fools of themselves in 2016 saying exactly that, so I advise a little more hedging.

Discussed before. It's only viable to steal a close election, 3pts margins or less. Any more than that, and the math starts to highlight rather than obscure the funny business. That's why Dems are panicking. Biden is down nationally, and down well-outside the 3pt range in enough swing states to make fraud non-viable. That's why you hear Trump talking about winning big......to overwhelm the fraud.

He's going to scare the living **** out of independent voters right into Biden's camp.
Fact is, right now he's winning them comfortably. That's because Biden is scaring the **** out of them even more. And it's not likely to change.

For six months after Putin invaded Ukraine, my daughter was C/OPs at a US AF base in Germany and kept several squadrons of fully armed F-16's in the air flying CAPs over Romania & the Black Sea (playing bump & nudge with Russian fighters).

The most obvious way to keep her from dodging Russian missiles is to win the damned war in Ukraine. Any other outcome increases the risk to her, and all the other sons & daughters in uniform, who are on war footing as we debate this. It's hard to understand how smart people can work so hard to avoid seeing such an obvious reality staring them in the face. The costs of finishing the job in Ukraine are nominal compared to the costs of dealing with a loss.

I can understand your view. (And I hope your daughter remains safe)

But without the direct intervention of NATO ground troops how is this war to be won?

Ukraine is getting vast amounts of gear, weapons, and cash payments…..but it's manpower they lack.

Without NATO getting directly into the fighting what's the end game here?
KaiBear
whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

You are nuts.

Agreed.

Bull****

See below

Dude

For six months after Putin invaded Ukraine, my daughter was C/OPs at a US AF base in Germany and kept several squadrons of fully armed F-16's in the air flying CAPs over Romania & the Black Sea (playing bump & nudge with Russian fighters). Because of that deployment, her base had to bring in squadrons of two additional airframes: F-15s to do the CAPs over Germany (what had previously been the mission of the F-16s), and KC-130 tankers to refuel everything. She had to not only refuel, resupply, and maintain the F-16s deployed to Romania, but also open up two entire supply chains for the new aircraft: new hangars, new supply depots, additional fueling storage and stations, additional maintenance yards, etc..... We're talking 600x fuel usage over pre-invasion levels (and all other supply metrics showing similar jumps). It was 24/7, 7 days a week 31 days a month, no leave & little sleep kind of duty. She did a quick rotate back to Pentagon for a year (hated it) and took the option of early enrollment at the C&GS school, which is wrapping up soon. In June, she takes over command of a "mobility unit" in Italy. Wife and I will likely go over to attend the ceremony. "Mobility Units" are theater rather than base specific. Meaning she will not serve the base but rather front line units on deployment.

All that's to say she's already been on the ramparts to deter Russian decisionmaking. For the next two years, if Nato does end up engaged, under whatever scenario that may entail, she will be responsible for pushing troop units, artillery pieces, weapons systems, ammo for all the foregoing, MREs, uniforms, mobile hospital units, etc.....downrange to the center of the Nato line. She had in mind becoming an Africanist (she remembers living there). But timing is what it is and she was in the right place at the right time and now will likely be climbing the Nato mission ladder for the rest of her career.

Being stationed in Germany is hardly the front lines of a war between Russia and Ukraine.

Just another glorified Rear Echelon Puke.

It's nice that she is doing so something constructive but good grief it's not as if she is dodging sniper fire or burying a rotting corpse in a collapsing scout trench.

Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Sweet Jesus, Sam has gone thru the rabbit hole of Third World Think = The USG is omniscient and omnipotent, so if something significant happened, by definition the USG either sponsored or allowed it.

Reality is this: Ambassadors all over the world talk to opposition party leaders all the time. it's their job. Those opposition leaders might win an election someday. They might win a coup some day. Better to know them than not.

And IF the USG is going to engage in hanky panky with an opposition leader/party, it's damned sure not going to do it with an Ambassador. LOLOLOLOL. I mean, what the heck does Sam think the CIA is used for? In the exceedingly rare instances when such does happen, you keep your Ambassador as far away from it as possible = plausible deniability.

Thi
There you go with the conspiracy theories again. No one is attributing omniscience to the US. We did a lot more than just speak to the opposition, though. We essentially created them and gave them the green light by signaling our continued support.

And LOL at "what is the CIA used for?" No doubt the Nuland call is just the tip of the iceberg. We all know what the CIA does, but try getting ATL to admit it.
J.R.
whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

You are nuts.

Agreed.

Bull****

See below

Dude

Wow, she sounds fascinating . That is one balsy lady. My good son is a Green Beret and we have no idea where he is and havent' for 6 months.
KaiBear
J.R. said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

You are nuts.

Agreed.

Bull****

See below

Dude

Wow, she sounds fascinating . That is one balsy lady. My good son is a Green Beret and we have no idea where he is and havent' for 6 months.

Good information.

Didn't realize the Green Berets were still active units .
But if so, they are almost always in the **** .
whiterock
Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

You are nuts.

Agreed.

Bull****

See below

Dude

For six months after Putin invaded Ukraine, my daughter was C/OPs at a US AF base in Germany and kept several squadrons of fully armed F-16's in the air flying CAPs over Romania & the Black Sea (playing bump & nudge with Russian fighters).

But without the direct intervention of NATO ground troops how is this war to be won?

Ukraine is getting vast amounts of gear, weapons, and cash payments…..but it's manpower they lack.

you have it completely ass-backwards.
whiterock
J.R. said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

You are nuts.

Agreed.

Bull****

See below

Dude

She's a problem solver. She shows up, and within a few weeks, she's indispensable. Every time I see Coach Teaff, he asks "how's the General?" (meaning you could see it very early on.....the proverbial born leader.)

GBs are the closest equivalent we have to the "little green men" that destabilized the Donbas. Stereotypically they'll be somewhere in injun country coaching auxilliaries to keep adversaries off balance, usually in deniable scenarios, so not always afforded the air & indirect fire support the SEALS can usually count on. Requires resourcefulness, discretion, ability to build trust with the locals for long periods of time (usually in foreign language), and above all keen wits and a very cool head. You have much to be proud about there.
KaiBear
whiterock said:

J.R. said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

You are nuts.

Agreed.

Bull****

See below

Dude

She's a problem solver. She shows up, and within a few weeks, she's indispensable. Every time I see Coach Teaff, he asks "how's the General?" (meaning you could see it very early on.....the proverbial born leader.)

GBs are the closest equivalent we have to the "little green men" that destabilized the Donbas. Stereotypically they'll be somewhere in injun country coaching auxilliaries to keep adversaries off balance, usually in deniable scenarios, so not always afforded the air & indirect fire support the SEALS can usually count on. Requires resourcefulness, discretion, ability to build trust with the locals for long periods of time (usually in foreign language), and above all keen wits and a very cool head. You have much to be proud about there.

All nice .

But you clearly described her as on the 'front lines' of the war.

None if this fits such a description.

Now do you have every right to be proud of your daughter's service and contributions ?

Absolutely.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Thi
There you go with the conspiracy theories again. No one is attributing omniscience to the US. We did a lot more than just speak to the opposition, though. We essentially created them and gave them the green light by signaling our continued support.

And LOL at "what is the CIA used for?" No doubt the Nuland call is just the tip of the iceberg. We all know what the CIA does, but try getting ATL to admit it.
There you go with the conspiracy again.

Don't opposition parties exist in all democratic countries? (Yes). Did we create ALL of those, too? (No). Didn't Ukrainian elections show swings from one party to the other? (Yes). So isn't it in fact true that there has been a Ukrainian opposition party in existence continuously since independence from the USSR? (Obviously).

You are making shyte up to support a predetermined conclusion.
whiterock
KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

J.R. said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

You are nuts.

Agreed.

Bull****

See below

Dude

All nice .

Now do you have every right to be proud of your daughter's service and contributions ?

Absolutely.
Not once have I said anyone has been in combat. I've been very clear where our military is: they're standing to arms to deter Russia from escalating their war against a defacto ally into Nato or anywhere else. This is quite a bit more serious than the Cold War. There never was a full-scale war in Europe during the CW. In those days, a border patrol was just a border patrol. Now, we are literally doing CAPs along the perimeter of the war zone, playing chicken wing-tip to wing-tip with a party directly involved that war. We are on a war footing and have been since Putin invaded.

When you're gassing up an F-16 and signing your name on a sidewinder to go flash at a Fulcrum, you're on the ramparts/front-lines. and that is the case for many thousands of our military servicemen & women, any one of whom could be dodging Kinzhals tomorrow.
KaiBear
whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

J.R. said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

You are nuts.

Agreed.

Bull****

See below

Dude

All nice .

Absolutely.
Not once have I said anyone has been in combat. I've been very clear where our military is: they're standing to arms to deter Russia from escalating their war against a defacto ally into Nato or anywhere else. This is quite a bit more serious than the Cold War. There never was a full-scale war in Europe during the CW. In those days, a border patrol was just a border patrol. Now, we are literally doing CAPs along the perimeter of the war zone, playing chicken wing-tip to wing-tip with a party directly involved that war. We are on a war footing and have been since Putin invaded.

When you're gassing up an F-16 and signing your name on a sidewinder to go flash at a Fulcrum, you're on the ramparts/front-lines. and that is the case for many thousands of our military servicemen & women, any one of whom could be dodging Kinzhals tomorrow.

Front lines clearly implies combat .

Fueling up aircraft hundreds of miles away from the **** isn't front line anything.

Again, is your daughter to be respected……YES.

Is there a world of difference between her situation and some US special forces operatives in the mud with Ukrainian units dodging local drone strikes ?

Redbrickbear
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

You are nuts.

Agreed.

Bull****

See below

Dude

you have it completely ass-backwards.

They have the manpower but not the gear?

[Ukraine The Ukrainian military is facing a critical shortage of infantry, leading to exhaustion and diminished morale on the front line, military personnel in the field said this week a perilous new dynamic for Kyiv nearly two years into the grinding, bloody war with Russia.]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/02/08/ukraine-soldiers-shortage-infantry-russia/#

ATL Bear
whiterock said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Thi
It's frankly hard to debate because as you and I both know Sam and others in here project capabilities and actions on people and events that are so far removed from the possibility of occurring it's borderline fantasy.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Thi

Some of us understand what and when the CIA is doing something, and when it's an invented narrative for the "U.S. is always the problem" crowd. If anything, they were caught off guard by the extent of the Russian reaction.
ATL Bear
KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

J.R. said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

You are nuts.

Agreed.

Bull****

See below

Dude

All nice .

Absolutely.

Fueling up aircraft hundreds of miles away from the **** isn't front line anything.

Is there a world of difference between her situation and some US special forces operatives in the mud with Ukrainian units dodging local drone strikes ?

If there were US soldiers in Ukraine they wouldn't be special forces, unless embassy or other special purpose. And if there were U.S. special forces in Ukraine they wouldn't be on front lines as that's not their thing.
Redbrickbear
ATL Bear said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

J.R. said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

whiterock said:

KaiBear said:

NATO is a shell.

You are nuts.

Agreed.

Bull****

See below

Dude

All nice .

Absolutely.

If there were US soldiers in Ukraine they wouldn't be special forces, unless embassy or other special purpose. And if there were U.S. special forces in Ukraine they wouldn't be on front lines as that's not their thing.

I have a buddy who is an officer in the army right now

He is in Poland right now doing something (he can't say what) but I think he is having meetings with Polish army leaders and writing up reports on the war for the Pentagon.

I was hanging out with him around Christmas and asked "do we have soldiers in Ukraine right now?"

He looked at me and said "of course we do"

So you can take that for what's it's worth.
First Page Last Page
Page 81 of 168

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.