Why Are We in Ukraine?

319,064 Views | 5859 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by whiterock
trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

Since 1991 . . . And most of it spent early and half of which was military and 1/4 of which was direct economic assistance.

You know you can't account for where all those billions went.

The Feds can't even keep with where they spend billions at home…much less in a corrupt 2nd world country like Ukraine.

Let's just be honest….it was slush fund cash to buy off politicians and influence Ukraine.

And possibly to help foment unrest and coups if necessary

My answer may surprise you. I have no idea how much we sent Ukraine. It could be well north of $5 billion.

But folks on your side often point to the $5 billion mentioned in the speech. My main point as I've posted several times is that $5 billion since 1991 is pennies compared to what we've given other fledgling democracies. And to connect that $ to an unexpected coup over 20 years later is absurd. And public data has shown that such spending historically has mostly been economic development (loans that don't have to be repaid) and defense.
The $5 billion was spent on promoting "democracy," i.e. political manipulation and regime change. There's nothing absurd or even particularly controversial about it. It's just one of those things we don't talk about.

I don't see how suddenly, in literally a period of weeks, we could have unleashed this grand plan...

Unleash a grand plan…probably not.

Influence events on the ground by passing around cash and calling on favors and rooting on the protests/coup? Absolutely
I don't doubt that for a second. We were open about our support, so have to assume there was direct support.
That's basically what I've been saying. We can speculate about how much planning there was, but the point is that it all happened as a result of US influence. The 20 years of US spending are relevant because they created the conditions that culminated in regime change.
Ukraine is FIGHTING for Democracy and to join the EU. That is a huge success. Will they keep it? Who knows, but 30 years ago or when Reagan really started going after the Soviet Union did anyone ever think that would happen? If this was a CIA operation it THE most successful of the modern era.

Money well spent, the Baltics, Ukraine, Hungary, Romania all former Communist are now Democracies and fighting to stay free and in the EU. Not to mention the bringing Finland and Sweden into NATO. This has been a banner operation!
Ukraine is no more democratic than Russia, and that's probably being generous.

Reagan built an arms control framework and established trust with the Russians such that they were able to voluntarily relinquish Ukraine in exchange for the promise of neutrality. More than anyone else, he would be absolutely horrified by what's happening now.
and Russia is the one that violated the agreement over and over again.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Realitybites
FLBear5630 said:

The strategy of fighting them over there, rather than over here is working. Recruiting always goes down when the danger subsides. After the next attack on America, which will happen, recruiting will go up.

"61% of Americans responded that it is very or somewhat likely that a world war would break out in the next five to ten years. About two-thirds of people responding to the poll said they believe the war will turn into a nuclear conflict...

Americans are not overly optimistic about the potential conflict. A slight majority believe the US and its allies would defeat Russia. While under half of respondents said the US would lose a war with Russia or against an alliance between Moscow and Beijing.

While most Americans believe a global conflict is on the horizon, they are not interested in fighting the war. More than twice as many respondents said they would refuse service even if drafted than stated, they would volunteer if the war broke out."

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/most-americans-believe-us-will-be-world-war-within-next-decade
whiterock
Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Realitybites said:

Meanwhile, in NATOs largest military...

"Diversity management calls..

The message is clear: if you are a straight white (or Asian) male and join up, you will be permitted to be shot for America when a feminazi or ****** orders you to the eastern front, but don't plan on things like leadership, promotion, or career development being part of your future.

Orwell would be proud.

I have no idea who Whiterock (the rest of the pro-war posters) think they are going to get to fight Russia for them….

Military recruitment is going no where and no one wants to die for DC regime change wars

[Military families have soured on the military.

The % of military family members who would recommend service to their children dropped from 55% in 2016 to 32% in 2023.

Relatedly the military fell 41,000 recruits short of its 2023 goal & it is now at its smallest size since 1940.

I've been talking about this lately, but this is the first time I can recall seeing hard numbers. That's a massive drop! I found this June 2023 Wall Street Journal article discussing the crisis in-depth; if you don't have a WSJ subscription, I found this website where the entire text can be read for free. Excerpts:

Today, nearly 80% of all new Army recruits have a family member who has served in uniform, according to the service. That can be a good thing, said Col. Mark Crow, director of the Office of Economic and Manpower Analysis at West Point, because "people who know the most about it stick around."

Depending too much on military families could create a "warrior caste," Wormuth said. Her plans seek to draw in people who have no real connection to the military and to broaden the appeal of service.

First, 80 percent of new Army recruits have a family member who serves?! That's massive! And yet, Joe Biden's Army Secretary, Christine Wormuth, is worried about a "warrior caste" being formed. Look, I can see the reason for concern that the same families, and network of families, carry the burden of the nation's war-fighting, but there is something natural in this. And in any case, it's so damned typical of a managerial liberal that they won't be happy until they have forced human nature to conform to a scheme. Do we really have the luxury of fretting about warrior castes when we can't get enough people from any family to sign up?

It's not only about wokeness, but about how the civilian and military leadership of the US has used and abused the armed forces in this century:

Sky Nisperos, who moved around the world as a military brat, said that as a teen she began to see the effect of her father's nearly dozen deployments and tours away from his family. Ernest Nisperos said he remembers being asleep when one of his kids jabbed him in the ribs to wake him. He put Sky's sister in a wrestling ankle lock before he realized he was back home.

"My sister and I would say, 'It's just drill sergeant-dad mode,' especially for the month he came back," Sky said.

Ernest Nisperos realized his deployments, which involved battle planning and top secret intelligence, were taking a toll. In 2019, after he returned from Afghanistan, he took the family to Disneyland. During the nightly fireworks extravaganza, he cowered in the fetal position while his family and "Toy Story" characters looked on.

Sky worried her father would end up like her grandfather, the military patriarch, who in the years since he retired from the Navy started to have what the family describes as flashbacks to his time in Ramadi, Iraq, in 2005, sometimes yelling that he needed to take cover from a nonexistent attack.

Her father decided he didn't want that life for Sky and her two siblings.

… The sudden and unpopular conclusion to the war in Afghanistan in 2021 added to the disenchantment of some veterans, including Catalina Gasper, who served in the Navy. Gasper said she and her husband, who spent more than two decades in the Army, used to talk to their boys, now 7 and 10, about their future service, asking them if they wanted to be Navy SEALs.

In July 2019, on her last combat deployment to Afghanistan, she was stationed at a base in Kabul when the Taliban launched an attack. The blast battered Gasper's body and she was transported back to the U.S. for treatment and recovery.

She was left with lingering damage from a traumatic brain injury. She is sensitive to loud sounds and bright lights. She has recurrent dizziness and forgets words. She also has bad knees and herniated discs in her back.

The U.S. pulled out of Afghanistan in the summer of 2021, precipitating Kabul's fall to the Taliban. "We're left with the gut-wrenching feeling of, 'What was it all for?' " she said.

She said she was a patriot but decided she would do everything she could to make sure her kids never enter the military. "I just don't see how it's sustainable if the machine keeps chewing up and spitting out" our young people, she said.

The cost of the Globalist American Empire is paid in part by families like the Gaspers and the Nisperoses. Then many of them come home and find that they've been fighting for a system that despises people who believe in the things they believe in, and a government that expects them to kill and die for its supposed national security interests overseas, but won't even defend its own southern border.]

Good grief, man. Now you're trying to suggest that WE are running out of manpower? Missing recruiting deadlines is not at all the same problem as available manpower pool.

I don't think I ever said we are running out of manpower.

We have 330 million people in the USA

Just pointing out that we have some serious problems had home with recruitment and military families are souring on the idea that their children should serve
...and we have had those kinds of problems before. and fixed them before.

such things wax and wane.

Note that you again dodged the Ukrainian part of my post.......(wink)

What the Ukraine part?

You think they have enough men for a long protracted war?

The media is implying they do not….

you keep dodging. Expand to what?

I'm not sure what you are even asking…

I respond to this: "Good grief, man. Now you're trying to suggest that WE are running out of manpower? Missing recruiting deadlines is not at all the same problem as available manpower pool"

With a simple article about recruiting in the armed forces being down.

What "expand" are you taking about?
what ages are being mobilized in Ukraine?

[The presidential decree was approved by the Verkhovna Rada (Ukraine's national parliament) on 3 March 2022, and in accordance with it, men aged 18 to 60 will be mobilized.]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobilization_in_Ukraine#:~:text=The%20presidential%20decree%20was%20approved,to%2060%20will%20be%20mobilized.

If you research more deeply, you will see that the average age of the Ukrainian military is among the oldest in the world, in no small part because the minimum age drafted thus far is 27.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/embattled-ukraine-moves-tighten-army-mobilisation-rules-2024-01-31/

So, to address the demographic concerns you have made here often, Ukraine has been fighting its war against Russia with OLD MEN, in order to preserve future generations to rebuild the country. The implications of this are profound = Ukraine is nowhere near scraping the bottom of its manpower pool. Below age 20, the manpower pool expands significantly. (nations involved in existential conflict can and do send kids to war, when necessary. Women, too.....)

Wars of attritions are the definition of "ugly contests." Everything looks bleak, everywhere. It's all about who can old out longest before collapsing.

Ukraine can carry on at current rates for years, as long as the supply of arms and ammo from Nato continues.
Doc Holliday
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Realitybites said:

The message is clear: if you are a straight white (or Asian) male and join up, you will be permitted to be shot for America when a feminazi or ****** orders you to the eastern front, but don't plan on things like leadership, promotion, or career development being part of your future.

Orwell would be proud.

I have no idea who Whiterock (the rest of the pro-war posters) think they are going to get to fight Russia for them….

Military recruitment is going no where and no one wants to die for DC regime change wars

The % of military family members who would recommend service to their children dropped from 55% in 2016 to 32% in 2023.

Relatedly the military fell 41,000 recruits short of its 2023 goal & it is now at its smallest size since 1940.

I've been talking about this lately, but this is the first time I can recall seeing hard numbers. That's a massive drop! I found this June 2023 Wall Street Journal article discussing the crisis in-depth; if you don't have a WSJ subscription, I found this website where the entire text can be read for free. Excerpts:

Today, nearly 80% of all new Army recruits have a family member who has served in uniform, according to the service. That can be a good thing, said Col. Mark Crow, director of the Office of Economic and Manpower Analysis at West Point, because "people who know the most about it stick around."

Depending too much on military families could create a "warrior caste," Wormuth said. Her plans seek to draw in people who have no real connection to the military and to broaden the appeal of service.

First, 80 percent of new Army recruits have a family member who serves?! That's massive! And yet, Joe Biden's Army Secretary, Christine Wormuth, is worried about a "warrior caste" being formed. Look, I can see the reason for concern that the same families, and network of families, carry the burden of the nation's war-fighting, but there is something natural in this. And in any case, it's so damned typical of a managerial liberal that they won't be happy until they have forced human nature to conform to a scheme. Do we really have the luxury of fretting about warrior castes when we can't get enough people from any family to sign up?

It's not only about wokeness, but about how the civilian and military leadership of the US has used and abused the armed forces in this century:

Sky Nisperos, who moved around the world as a military brat, said that as a teen she began to see the effect of her father's nearly dozen deployments and tours away from his family. Ernest Nisperos said he remembers being asleep when one of his kids jabbed him in the ribs to wake him. He put Sky's sister in a wrestling ankle lock before he realized he was back home.

"My sister and I would say, 'It's just drill sergeant-dad mode,' especially for the month he came back," Sky said.

Ernest Nisperos realized his deployments, which involved battle planning and top secret intelligence, were taking a toll. In 2019, after he returned from Afghanistan, he took the family to Disneyland. During the nightly fireworks extravaganza, he cowered in the fetal position while his family and "Toy Story" characters looked on.

Sky worried her father would end up like her grandfather, the military patriarch, who in the years since he retired from the Navy started to have what the family describes as flashbacks to his time in Ramadi, Iraq, in 2005, sometimes yelling that he needed to take cover from a nonexistent attack.

… The sudden and unpopular conclusion to the war in Afghanistan in 2021 added to the disenchantment of some veterans, including Catalina Gasper, who served in the Navy. Gasper said she and her husband, who spent more than two decades in the Army, used to talk to their boys, now 7 and 10, about their future service, asking them if they wanted to be Navy SEALs.

In July 2019, on her last combat deployment to Afghanistan, she was stationed at a base in Kabul when the Taliban launched an attack. The blast battered Gasper's body and she was transported back to the U.S. for treatment and recovery.

She was left with lingering damage from a traumatic brain injury. She is sensitive to loud sounds and bright lights. She has recurrent dizziness and forgets words. She also has bad knees and herniated discs in her back.

The U.S. pulled out of Afghanistan in the summer of 2021, precipitating Kabul's fall to the Taliban. "We're left with the gut-wrenching feeling of, 'What was it all for?' " she said.

She said she was a patriot but decided she would do everything she could to make sure her kids never enter the military. "I just don't see how it's sustainable if the machine keeps chewing up and spitting out" our young people, she said.

The cost of the Globalist American Empire is paid in part by families like the Gaspers and the Nisperoses. Then many of them come home and find that they've been fighting for a system that despises people who believe in the things they believe in, and a government that expects them to kill and die for its supposed national security interests overseas, but won't even defend its own southern border.]

Good grief, man. Now you're trying to suggest that WE are running out of manpower? Missing recruiting deadlines is not at all the same problem as available manpower pool.

Just pointing out that we have some serious problems had home with recruitment and military families are souring on the idea that their children should serve

What the Ukraine part?

I respond to this: "Good grief, man. Now you're trying to suggest that WE are running out of manpower? Missing recruiting deadlines is not at all the same problem as available manpower pool"

[The presidential decree was approved by the Verkhovna Rada (Ukraine's national parliament) on 3 March 2022, and in accordance with it, men aged 18 to 60 will be mobilized.]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobilization_in_Ukraine#:~:text=The%20presidential%20decree%20was%20approved,to%2060%20will%20be%20mobilized.

If you research more deeply, you will see that the average age of the Ukrainian military is among the oldest in the world, in no small part because the minimum age drafted thus far is 27.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/embattled-ukraine-moves-tighten-army-mobilisation-rules-2024-01-31/

So, to address the demographic concerns you have made here often, Ukraine has been fighting its war against Russia with OLD MEN, in order to preserve future generations to rebuild the country. The implications of this are profound = Ukraine is nowhere near scraping the bottom of its manpower pool. Below age 20, the manpower pool expands significantly. (nations involved in existential conflict can and do send kids to war, when necessary. Women, too.....)

Wars of attritions are the definition of "ugly contests." Everything looks bleak, everywhere. It's all about who can old out longest before collapsing.

Ukraine can carry on at current rates for years, as long as the supply of arms and ammo from Nato continues.
Ukraine will be flooded with immigrants. The west will own them and leaders will do what they've done all over Europe and the US.
Redbrickbear
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Realitybites said:

Orwell would be proud.

What the Ukraine part?

Again you will have to take that up with the media who continues to run stories about Ukraine running out of men.

You say it's not happening….the media says something different.

whiterock
Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Again you will have to take that up with the media who continues to run stories about Ukraine running out of men.

again, you misinterpret what you are reading.

Ukraine is making a policy choice to limit who it recruits, and how many. (and there are a whole bunch of stories about that, too.....)
whiterock
Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

Realitybites said:

Orwell would be proud.

What the Ukraine part?

Ukraine will be flooded with immigrants. The west will own them and leaders will do what they've done all over Europe and the US.
Lots of immigrants and lost of returning citizens......
Redbrickbear
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Ukraine is making a policy choice to limit who it recruits, and how many. (and there are a whole bunch of stories about that, too.....)

No I think the articles are pretty straightforward.

Now maybe the issue is that the Ukrainian government is not telling the Media about their recruitment strategy…because that is the only reason I can think of why CNN would frame it as a "shortage"

ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

Since 1991 . . . And most of it spent early and half of which was military and 1/4 of which was direct economic assistance.

The Feds can't even keep with where they spend billions at home…much less in a corrupt 2nd world country like Ukraine.

Let's just be honest….it was slush fund cash to buy off politicians and influence Ukraine.

My answer may surprise you. I have no idea how much we sent Ukraine. It could be well north of $5 billion.

But folks on your side often point to the $5 billion mentioned in the speech. My main point as I've posted several times is that $5 billion since 1991 is pennies compared to what we've given other fledgling democracies. And to connect that $ to an unexpected coup over 20 years later is absurd. And public data has shown that such spending historically has mostly been economic development (loans that don't have to be repaid) and defense.
The $5 billion was spent on promoting "democracy," i.e. political manipulation and regime change. There's nothing absurd or even particularly controversial about it. It's just one of those things we don't talk about.

I don't see how suddenly, in literally a period of weeks, we could have unleashed this grand plan...

Influence events on the ground by passing around cash and calling on favors and rooting on the protests/coup? Absolutely
I don't doubt that for a second. We were open about our support, so have to assume there was direct support.
That's basically what I've been saying. We can speculate about how much planning there was, but the point is that it all happened as a result of US influence. The 20 years of US spending are relevant because they created the conditions that culminated in regime change.
Ukraine is FIGHTING for Democracy and to join the EU. That is a huge success. Will they keep it? Who knows, but 30 years ago or when Reagan really started going after the Soviet Union did anyone ever think that would happen? If this was a CIA operation it THE most successful of the modern era.

Money well spent, the Baltics, Ukraine, Hungary, Romania all former Communist are now Democracies and fighting to stay free and in the EU. Not to mention the bringing Finland and Sweden into NATO. This has been a banner operation!

Reagan built an arms control framework and established trust with the Russians such that they were able to voluntarily relinquish Ukraine in exchange for the promise of neutrality. More than anyone else, he would be absolutely horrified by what's happening now.
Except all that happened after Reagan was out of office. So there's that pesky misalignment of time and events. It was the Clinton Administration that negotiated the Budapest Memorandum.

And if you think Ukraine is no more democratic than Russia, then take a gander over the last 20 years at the executive branch of both as well as the uniparty of the Duma for the past 15+ years compared to the Rada.
The timeline argument is pesky only because you've mentioned it at least four times without ever explaining it. Clinton obviously played a role in poisoning our relationship with Russia. I'm not sure what you think that proves, unless it supports my point.
Your point about Reagan was wrong. Ukraine sought independence on their own as did many Soviet satellites. They didn't "voluntarily relinquish" it. Russia was in full collapse with revolutions internally and in many formerly aligned states. If anything we had to help prop them up just to survive and not devolve into a major nuclear armed state in open civil war.
whiterock
Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Now maybe the issue is that the Ukrainian government is not telling the Media about their recruitment strategy…because that is the only reason I can think of why CNN would frame it as a "shortage"

weak dodge. a shortage simply means there are not enough in the uniform at any given place or time observed. The article you cited says exactly that "...short of full conscription...." It does not mean what you are arguing = that Ukraine is out of manpower.

Ukraine has millions of men yet undrafted, and has chosen as a matter of policy not to do so at this time in no small part because ammunition is the greater problem.

Every single thing you are arguing about Ukraine is also true of Russia, who has lost somewhere in the range of 6x the numbers of troops Ukraine has lost.

Frankly, if Russia is going to continue human wave assaults, Ukraine should just remain on defensive and play shooting gallery. All it needs for such a strategy is more ammo.
Sam Lowry
Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

There's a good reason Ukraine might not want to advertise it. It's a strategy born of desperation. The 18-25 demographic was already in catastrophic decline before the war. The idea that they can draw enough manpower to compete with Russia is of course ridiculous.
Sam Lowry
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

Except all that happened after Reagan was out of office. So there's that pesky misalignment of time and events. It was the Clinton Administration that negotiated the Budapest Memorandum.

And if you think Ukraine is no more democratic than Russia, then take a gander over the last 20 years at the executive branch of both as well as the uniparty of the Duma for the past 15+ years compared to the Rada.
The timeline argument is pesky only because you've mentioned it at least four times without ever explaining it. Clinton obviously played a role in poisoning our relationship with Russia. I'm not sure what you think that proves, unless it supports my point.
Your point about Reagan was wrong. Ukraine sought independence on their own as did many Soviet satellites. They didn't "voluntarily relinquish" it. Russia was in full collapse with revolutions internally and in many formerly aligned states. If anything we had to help prop them up just to survive and not devolve into a major nuclear armed state in open civil war.
I realize they sought independence on their own. And the Russians took a huge risk in agreeing to it. Reagan would be appalled at how we've repaid them and what has resulted.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

weak dodge. a shortage simply means there are not enough in the uniform at any given place or time observed. The article you cited says exactly that "...short of full conscription...." It does not mean what you are arguing = that Ukraine is out of manpower.

Ukraine has millions of men yet undrafted, and has chosen as a matter of policy not to do so at this time in no small part because ammunition is the greater problem.

Every single thing you are arguing about Ukraine is also true of Russia, who has lost somewhere in the range of 6x the numbers of troops Ukraine has lost.

Frankly, if Russia is going to continue human wave assaults, Ukraine should just remain on defensive and play shooting gallery. All it needs for such a strategy is more ammo.

Bravo once again...you are consistently the best comedian on the thread.
Bear8084
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Bravo once again...you are consistently the best comedian on the thread.

Not as hilarious as your Russian BS.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

I realize they sought independence on their own. And the Russians took a huge risk in agreeing to it. Reagan would be appalled at how we've repaid them and what has resulted.
Russia had nothing to do with it. And are you speaking with the dead?
Sam Lowry
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

Since 1991 . . . %A0And most of it spent early and half of which was military and 1/4 of which was direct economic assistance.

The Feds can't even keep with where they spend billions at home%85much less in a corrupt 2nd world country like Ukraine.

Let's just be honest%85.it was slush fund cash to buy off politicians and influence Ukraine.

Unleash a grand plan%85probably not.

Influence events on the ground by passing around cash and calling on favors and rooting on the protests/coup? %A0Absolutely
Ukraine is FIGHTING for Democracy and to join the EU. %A0That is a huge success. %A0Will they keep it? %A0Who knows, but 30 years ago or when Reagan really started going after the Soviet Union did anyone ever think that would happen? %A0If this was a CIA operation it THE most successful of the modern era.

Money well spent, the Baltics, Ukraine, Hungary, Romania all former Communist are now Democracies and fighting to stay free and in the EU. %A0Not to mention the bringing Finland and Sweden into NATO. This has been a banner operation!

Except all that happened after Reagan was out of office. %A0So there's that pesky misalignment of time and events. %A0It was the Clinton Administration that negotiated the Budapest Memorandum.

And if you think Ukraine is no more democratic than Russia, then take a gander over the last 20 years at the executive branch of both as well as the uniparty of the Duma for the past 15+ years compared to the Rada. %A0
Your point about Reagan was wrong. %A0Ukraine sought independence on their own as did many Soviet satellites. %A0They didn't "voluntarily relinquish" it. Russia was in full collapse with revolutions internally and in many formerly aligned states. If anything we had to help prop them up just to survive and not devolve into a major nuclear armed state in open civil war. %A0
Russia had nothing to do with it. %A0And are you speaking with the dead?
Russia had nothing to do with the breakup of the Soviet Union? That is certainly an interesting take.
trey3216
Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

There's a good reason Ukraine might not want to advertise it. It's a strategy born of desperation. The 18-25 demographic was already in catastrophic decline before the war. The idea that they can draw enough manpower to compete with Russia is of course ridiculous.
Well, Sam, that's a function of Ukraine being 30% of Russia.

Ergo, they don't and can't draw enough manpower to compete with Russia....they just need enough manpower to compete with Russia trying to not implode itself with Civil War by drafting St Pete and Moscow and willing to send its "denizens" from the outer reaches of the federation into continual meatwaves where they lose 3-6:1 men as compared to Ukraine. Thus far, that's been the case. THerefore, they have plenty of manpower.
Sam Lowry
trey3216 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Ergo, they don't and can't draw enough manpower to compete with Russia....they just need enough manpower to compete with Russia trying to not implode itself with Civil War by drafting St Pete and Moscow and willing to send its "denizens" from the outer reaches of the federation into continual meatwaves where they lose 3-6:1 men as compared to Ukraine. Thus far, that's been the case. THerefore, they have plenty of manpower.
Russia has nothing like the demographic and political problems that Ukraine does, and unlike Ukraine they aren't repeatedly sending troops into the meat grinder and taking massive losses.
trey3216
Sam Lowry said:

trey3216 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Russia has nothing like the demographic and political problems that Ukraine does, and unlike Ukraine they aren't repeatedly sending troops into the meat grinder and taking massive losses.

They have the exact same demographic problem and an even worse political one. And you continually fail to read anything other than what bots, Duma, and Sacks write about. Your brain is poisoned with Russian propaganda, just as they intended. Good job clown
Sam Lowry
trey3216 said:

Sam Lowry said:

trey3216 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

They have the exact same demographic problem and an even worse political one. And you continually fail to read anything other than what bots, Duma, and Sacks write about. Your brain is poisoned with Russian propaganda, just as they intended. Good job clown
That's a good one. Seriously though, Ukraine's population has drastically declined. Since 1993 they've lost 15-20 million people from a population of 52 million. Russia has lost 2 million out of 148 million. There's just no comparison. Plus Ukraine now has the lowest birth rate in the entire world. They'll be lucky to recover even without handing over what's left of their youth to the Butcher of Bakhmut.
Bear8084
trey3216 said:

Sam Lowry said:

trey3216 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

whiterock said:

100% correct.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

Since 1991 . . . %A0And most of it spent early and half of which was military and 1/4 of which was direct economic assistance.

The Feds can't even keep with where they spend billions at home%85much less in a corrupt 2nd world country like Ukraine.

Let's just be honest%85.it was slush fund cash to buy off politicians and influence Ukraine.

Influence events on the ground by passing around cash and calling on favors and rooting on the protests/coup? %A0Absolutely
Ukraine is FIGHTING for Democracy and to join the EU. %A0That is a huge success. %A0Will they keep it? %A0Who knows, but 30 years ago or when Reagan really started going after the Soviet Union did anyone ever think that would happen? %A0If this was a CIA operation it THE most successful of the modern era.

Money well spent, the Baltics, Ukraine, Hungary, Romania all former Communist are now Democracies and fighting to stay free and in the EU. %A0Not to mention the bringing Finland and Sweden into NATO. This has been a banner operation!

Except all that happened after Reagan was out of office. %A0So there's that pesky misalignment of time and events. %A0It was the Clinton Administration that negotiated the Budapest Memorandum.

And if you think Ukraine is no more democratic than Russia, then take a gander over the last 20 years at the executive branch of both as well as the uniparty of the Duma for the past 15+ years compared to the Rada. %A0
Your point about Reagan was wrong. %A0Ukraine sought independence on their own as did many Soviet satellites. %A0They didn't "voluntarily relinquish" it. Russia was in full collapse with revolutions internally and in many formerly aligned states. If anything we had to help prop them up just to survive and not devolve into a major nuclear armed state in open civil war. %A0
Russia had nothing to do with the breakup of the Soviet Union? That is certainly an interesting take.
Lose the point, change the goal posts. Typical.
Realitybites
Quote:

Nobody believes this, not even Zelensky.
Sam Lowry
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

What point? You're not even making any sense.
whiterock
Realitybites said:

Quote:

actually, Zelensky does believe it.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68397525

western estimates hover in the 4.5x range.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us-intelligence-assesses-ukraine-war-has-cost-russia-315000-casualties-source-2023-12-12/

Russia has been on the offensive for approx 80% of the timeframe. So it's hardly unreasonable to expect them to have higher casualty rates. Ukraine has been on the defensive the last 6 months, during which time Russia has been engaging in human wave assaults which is driving up their loss rate.

It's not likely above 6x, but certainly above 5x. So somewhere in the range of 6x.

Russia cannot sustain this if we keep up the flow of ammo.
Sam Lowry
Realitybites said:

Quote:

Zelensky was telling the truth when he said Ukraine had only lost 31,000 soldiers. They just didn't print the part where he mumbled "in the last month."
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

You keep saying Russia "allowed" or "agreed" to let Ukraine be independent. Russia was lucky it didn't self destruct. It was powerless to do anything with their satellites and former Union partners, and in fact it was primarily the U.S. that facilitated a soft landing, as well as prevented the mass proliferation of loose nukes.
Sam Lowry
ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Redbrickbear said:

sombear said:

You keep saying Russia "allowed" or "agreed" to let Ukraine be independent. Russia was lucky it didn't self destruct. It was powerless to do anything with their satellites and former Union partners, and in fact it was primarily the U.S. that facilitated a soft landing, as well as prevented the mass proliferation of loose nukes.
They were not entirely without options. There was talk of taking over Ukraine's security forces by executive decree, for example. Russia was more interested in avoiding civil war and maintaining good relations with the West. Of course we took it as a sign of weakness and have basically treated them as a defeated foe ever since.
Redbrickbear
whiterock
LOL they were a defeated foe. THEY LOST THE COLD WAR. And not by negotiated surrender. Not by folding their tents and marching home. They collapsed on the field of battle in the middle of the contest.

I was there when it happened.....
ron.reagan
Redbrickbear said:

Bureaucracy sucks and full of incompetence and corruption so lets defund the military comrade.
whiterock
ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

Bureaucracy sucks and full of incompetence and corruption so lets defund the military comrade.
Google search generates many pages of articles from a year ago where Pentagon "found accounting errors" which overvalued aid given to Ukraine by $3b (creating room for additional aid).

So it appears that auditors only approved about 88% of the "savings" as justified.

Redbrickbear
ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

Ron coming in with that "principled conservative" opinion that government waste and incompetence does not matter….

When are you gonna drop the whole "I'm a conservative" shtick?
ron.reagan
Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

Ron coming in with that "principled conservative" opinion that government waste and incompetence does not matter….

With conservative values I don't actually have to make these claims. Just move to your paradise where you can lead the world in abortions and rape and pillage your neighbors for fun.
Redbrickbear
ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

ron.reagan said:

Redbrickbear said:

With conservative values I don't actually have to make these claims. Just move to your paradise where you can lead the world in abortions and rape and pillage your neighbors for fun.

Unlike you I'm an actual conservative.

There are no utopias on earth.

Abortion, rape, and stupid proxy wars are evil and wrong.

You just don't have a moral compass and for some strange reason you want to lie on this site about being conservative while you shill for corruption and taxpayer theft….sad
First Page Last Page
Page 85 of 168

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.