Netanyahu said "we are at war,"

329,246 Views | 5780 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Aliceinbubbleland
muddybrazos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Realitybites said:

historian said:

The U.S. is multicultural the melting pot. We don't really have a shared "folk culture" like other nations because we are a relatively young country and not founded on the basis of ethnicity. The U.S. is founded on ideas as stated in the Declaration of Independence. Our shared culture includes our national holidays (especially July 4 but also Memorial Day, Flag Day, Thanksgiving, etc), traditions such as g try he flag and the national anthem, and activities (football games, parades, etc). Therefore comparing the U.S. to countries 1,000 years old or more (France, Russia, Japan, China, etc) or cultures, such as the Kurds or Basque is not useful.

The United States was founded by anglo-saxon protestants. Its revolution was fought by them. Its founding documents were written by them. It was never intend to be a multicultural nation. In fact no stable nation is a multicultural nation. You can be a multiethnic, monocultural nation which is what e pluribus unum is referring to.

Also, it is curious that you chose to exclude Christmas and Easter - the two most important dates on the calendar - from the list of our national holidays.
Actually E pluribus unum was referring to the 13 colonies becoming one nation. America and this melting pot idea wasnt even a thing until non europeans started coming here. The melting pot just like the misnomer "Judeo-Christian" came from jews who didnt want to seem as though they were outsiders in a Christian country. In reality Judeo and Christian are polar opposites.

The Melting Pot is a play by Israel Zangwill, first staged in 1908. It depicts the life of a Russian Jewish immigrant family, the Quixanos, in the United States. David Quixano has survived a pogrom, which killed his mother and sister, and he wishes to forget this horrible event. He composes an "American Symphony" and wants to look forward to a society free of ethnic divisions and hatred, rather than backward at his traumatic past.
whiterock
Red is correct. Literally quoting textbook definitions of the concepts. "Nation" is a peoples of similar ethnicity, culture, language, etc.... "State" is a thing a people a country will try to create (perhaps peoples of the same nation, perhaps not). "Country" is the geographic space in which a state is created. There is also "nation-state" where a state is comprised overwhelmingly of peoples from a single nation - ex: Japan, Nepal, Ireland, Norway, etc.....and.....Israel...among others. Finland could be called a nation-state; Russia cannot. Greece could be called a nation-state; USA cannot.

Kurds are a nation without a state. Arguably the largest one in the world......
The_barBEARian
KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

The Palestinians have a state: Gaza. They had the chance for Judea & Samaria multiple times but rejected it because of their bigotry towards the Jews.

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

I'm just fascinated by non-Jews who really by into this chosen people crap and put the interests of Israel and the Jews above their own self-preservation.

If one is a practicing Christian; belief in the Bible and its messages are fundamental to our world view.

To you it is 'crap'.

To many of us it is a matter of Faith.

In additional the geo political realities of the Middle East give cause for supporting the only democratic country in the region.

Although I do agree the amount of support we give that only democratic country is excessive.

We are far beyond "excessive".

The American Dream has been replaced by the Zionist Dream.

Anyone with half a brain who has been paying attention this election cycle understands the Pro-Israel Lobby has a ironclad grip on Congress and that Israel has complete and total control over America's foreign policy.

boognish_bear
FLBear5630
The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

The Palestinians have a state: Gaza. They had the chance for Judea & Samaria multiple times but rejected it because of their bigotry towards the Jews.

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

I'm just fascinated by non-Jews who really by into this chosen people crap and put the interests of Israel and the Jews above their own self-preservation.

If one is a practicing Christian; belief in the Bible and its messages are fundamental to our world view.

To you it is 'crap'.

In additional the geo political realities of the Middle East give cause for supporting the only democratic country in the region.

Although I do agree the amount of support we give that only democratic country is excessive.

Anyone with half a brain who has been paying attention this election cycle understands the Pro-Israel Lobby has a ironclad grip on Congress and that Israel has complete and total control over America's foreign policy.

Ok, we all have our "trigger items", obviously Israel is yours.

I would not say that the Zionist Dream is central to the US. That may be a bridge too far.
Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

historian said:

You must like the Goldhagen thesis but it's flawed. No people (or nation) is completely responsible for everything the nation does or that the leaders do. The Germans bore responsibility for putting Hitler into power and not resisting his tyranny enough but they do not have a shared guilt for the Holocaust in the same level as the perpetrators. Likewise, not all Americans share guilt for all the mistakes of our leaders. I'm not sure I would go so far to say that those who voted for Biden bear some guilt for the failures in Afghanistan, the border, the economy, etc although they certainly are responsible for voting into office someone so obviously incompetent and unqualified.

Key phrase there is same level as the perpetrators. They bear some responsibility. Germany is the easiest example, they knew. Visit Dachau and tell me Munich/Bavaria didn't know.

What about Cambodians....are they responsible for their government?

[Khmer Rouge, radical communist movement that ruled Cambodia from 1975 to 1979...

The Khmer Rouge government under Pol Pot was responsible for the Cambodian genocide (1976-78), during which up to three million people were systematically murdered...

The military leader of the Khmer Rouge, Pol Pot, became the new government's prime minister. The Khmer Rouge's rule over the next four years was marked by some of the worst excesses of any Marxist government in the 20th century, during which an estimated 1.5 million (and possibly up to 4 million) Cambodians died and many of the country's professional and technical class were exterminated.

The Khmer Rouge government was overthrown in 1979 by invading Vietnamese troops, who installed a puppet government propped up by Vietnamese aid and expertise. The Khmer Rouge retreated to remote areas and resumed guerrilla warfare, this time operating from bases near the border with Thailand and obtaining aid from China.]

I mean government and the nation are one....right?
KaiBear
The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

The Zionist lobby does bribe an inordinate number of US politicians.

As a result they do control much of our federal government.

Though I would suggest the American Dream has not been replaced by a ' Zionist Dream '.

Rather, it has been replaced by a sense of hopelessness and disgust.
FLBear5630
Redbrickbear said:

FLBear5630 said:

historian said:

You must like the Goldhagen thesis but it's flawed. No people (or nation) is completely responsible for everything the nation does or that the leaders do. The Germans bore responsibility for putting Hitler into power and not resisting his tyranny enough but they do not have a shared guilt for the Holocaust in the same level as the perpetrators. Likewise, not all Americans share guilt for all the mistakes of our leaders. I'm not sure I would go so far to say that those who voted for Biden bear some guilt for the failures in Afghanistan, the border, the economy, etc although they certainly are responsible for voting into office someone so obviously incompetent and unqualified.

Key phrase there is same level as the perpetrators. They bear some responsibility. Germany is the easiest example, they knew. Visit Dachau and tell me Munich/Bavaria didn't know.

What about Cambodians....are they responsible for their government?

[Khmer Rouge, radical communist movement that ruled Cambodia from 1975 to 1979...

The Khmer Rouge government under Pol Pot was responsible for the Cambodian genocide (1976-78), during which up to three million people were systematically murdered...

The military leader of the Khmer Rouge, Pol Pot, became the new government's prime minister. The Khmer Rouge's rule over the next four years was marked by some of the worst excesses of any Marxist government in the 20th century, during which an estimated 1.5 million (and possibly up to 4 million) Cambodians died and many of the country's professional and technical class were exterminated.

The Khmer Rouge government was overthrown in 1979 by invading Vietnamese troops, who installed a puppet government propped up by Vietnamese aid and expertise. The Khmer Rouge retreated to remote areas and resumed guerrilla warfare, this time operating from bases near the border with Thailand and obtaining aid from China.]

I mean government and the nation are one....right?
So who did the actual genocide? Pol Pot individually murdered all those people? There were no Government Agencies or Military Units involved? And if they were, there were NO Cambodian citizens.

In terms of Government Actions (not some Poli Sci Definition), the Nation, State, Government and its population are one. Somebody has to enable these people, But, you keep believing that the citizens have no responsibility for their Government's actions.

You are making the case for Ivory Tower Academic theory.
nein51
Random aside; my SIL is married to a Cambodian. Most of his family fled when they had the chance.

The genocide there was so thorough that Cambodia was the youngest population on the globe for a long time.
FLBear5630
nein51 said:

Random aside; my SIL is married to a Cambodian. Most of his family fled when they had the chance.

The genocide there was so thorough that Cambodia was the youngest population on the globe for a long time.
I am sorry for his family.

I also know people that left Germany and ended up in Israel.

nein51
FLBear5630 said:

nein51 said:

I am sorry for his family.

I also know people that left Germany and ended up in Israel.

As a history guy I would love to talk to them about it but they absolutely will not. I think of the people left behind only a single uncle survived and, while that seems like a long time ago it's still very fresh to them.

They won't even tell him about it and he's their kid and in his late 30s.
Osodecentx
KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?
muddybrazos
Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?

I dont think they really call it bribes when its just lobbying but I guess its kinda the same thing. This X account tracks everyone in congress and how much or little they have accepted from AIPAC. As you can see most of them are on the payroll.
The_barBEARian
Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?

Are you a ****ing idiot?
KaiBear
muddybrazos said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link? To

I dont think they really call it bribes when its just lobbying but I guess its kinda the same thing. This X account tracks everyone in congress and how much or little they have accepted from AIPAC. As you can see most of them are on the payroll.
Good information.

Wish there was a similar source showing all of the various lobbyist payouts
Osodecentx
The_barBEARian said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?

Are you a ****ing idiot?

Kai is making accusations of congressional bribery. Unlike you, kai is pretty selective with his words. If he says bribery I'm sure he has a link
Osodecentx
KaiBear said:

muddybrazos said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link? To

Good information.

Wish there was a similar source showing all of the various lobbyist payouts

Campaign contributions are public filings & available for all to see.

Thanks for clarifying your accusation above
KaiBear
Osodecentx said:

The_barBEARian said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?

Are you a ****ing idiot?

Kai is making accusations of congressional bribery. Unlike you, kai is pretty selective with his words. If he says bribery I'm sure he has a link
Do not have a link immediately available.

However I am confident another contributor will provide some worthwhile data.

Of course we can then play ' make believe ' that campaign contributions are not merely a form of legalized bribery.
Osodecentx
KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

The_barBEARian said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?

Are you a ****ing idiot?

Of course we can then play ' make believe ' that campaign contributions are not merely a form of legalized bribery.

People support politicians with whom they agree. The lobbyist(s) who represent you aren't bribing them, they're supporting candidates they consider to be on the right side of an issue.

You aren't bribing candidates, you're supporting people with whom you agree
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

The_barBEARian said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?

Are you a ****ing idiot?

People support politicians with whom they agree. The lobbyist(s) who represent you aren't bribing them, they're supporting candidates they consider to be on the right side of an issue.

You are leaving out of course when politicians run for office on say an anti-immigration platform….yet then refuse to stop mass immigration because a big business lobbying group is paying them.

I would call that a bribe.

And the GOP has operated that way for decades.

(I'm sure you can find similar situations inside the Democratic Party)
muddybrazos
Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

The_barBEARian said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?

Are you a ****ing idiot?

Its kinda different when it comes to AIPAC bc they are working on behalf of a foreign country but for some reason they have not been made to register as such. Also, if you dont vote the way they tell you then you get primaried. Thomas Massie can tell you about it:

KaiBear
Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

The_barBEARian said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?

Are you a ****ing idiot?

I strongly doubt you believe this.

Politicians have been receiving bribes since the the founding of our country.

Land
Cash
Stocks

Now 'campaign contributions'.
boognish_bear
nein51
The solution to things like AIPAC is really simple. You abolish lobbying. Then you abolish campaign contributions. Everyone (literally everyone) pays $5 a year (whatever, pick you number). The funds are split equally and that's all the money available for an election.
The_barBEARian
nein51 said:

The solution to things like AIPAC is really simple. You abolish lobbying. Then you abolish campaign contributions. Everyone (literally everyone) pays $5 a year (whatever, pick you number). The funds are split equally and that's all the money available for an election.

100%

I heard someone say they used to run things this way.

We should go back to this system.
Aliceinbubbleland
I believe the issue began a few decades ago when the SCOTUS ruled corporations could give unlimited.

Didn't there use to be a cap on donations of $5k? I haven't kept up with the issue since they allowed money to flood into elections.

The ruling was as bad as allowing lawyers to advertise.
Astros in Home Stretch Geaux Texans
nein51
Aliceinbubbleland said:

I believe the issue began a few decades ago when the SCOTUS ruled corporations could give unlimited.

Didn't there use to be a cap on donations of $5k? I haven't kept up with the issue since they allowed money to flood into elections.

The ruling was as bad as allowing lawyers to advertise.

It was a problem before that but it poured massive amounts of money into campaigns.

Candidates should get equal air time, equal funding and that's it. Not a dollar more.

Further, I've posed that any candidate that runs a negative ad should lose money. Don't tell me why I should hate the other guy. Tell me why I should like you.
Osodecentx
KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

The_barBEARian said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?

Are you a ****ing idiot?

Land
Cash
Stocks

Your lobbyist gives them money, so you are complicit
Osodecentx
KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

The_barBEARian said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?

Are you a ****ing idiot?

Land
Cash
Stocks

Your lobbyist gives them money. Why don't you stop that?
nein51
Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

The_barBEARian said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?

Are you a ****ing idiot?

Land
Cash
Stocks

Good lobbyist often give money to both sides. Regardless of who wins they will need their help at some point.
Osodecentx
nein51 said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

The_barBEARian said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?

Are you a ****ing idiot?

Land
Cash
Stocks

Good lobbyist often give money to both sides. Regardless of who wins they will need their help at some point.

Yep
KaiBear
Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

The_barBEARian said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?

Are you a ****ing idiot?

Land
Cash
Stocks

Name my lobbyist.

Give you 100 guesses.
Sam Lowry

Israeli Lawmakers Try to Block Torture Prosecutions
Human Rights Watch
July 31, 2024

A standoff at Israel's Sde Teiman military base this week has thrown longstanding abuses against Palestinian detainees and the Israeli military's history of impunity for torture into stark relief.

On July 29, Israeli military police arrested nine Israeli soldiers at the base on suspicion of "severe abuse" of a Palestinian detainee. News reports said the man was admitted to the hospital with broken ribs and life-threatening injuries to the anus and lungs.

Soldiers barricaded themselves inside the base to prevent the arrests. Protesters against the arrests, including members of Israel's parliament, the Knesset, pushed their way through the perimeter fence. When security forces removed the nine soldiers, protesters went to the Beit Lid military base, where the soldiers were eventually taken for questioning, and breached its perimeter as well.

Arrests of Israeli soldiers for abusing Palestinians are rare. From 2017 to 2021, just 0.87 percent of complaints against soldiers led to prosecutions, according to the Israeli rights group Yesh Din.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as well as Israel's defense minister and the military chief of staff condemned the clashes at the two bases, though not the alleged torture of the detainee. Israel's justice minister criticized detaining for questioning soldiers he said were performing a "holy job." The finance minister and the national security minister both tweeted "hands off our reservists." The Knesset's foreign affairs and defense committee chair slammed "this despicable pursuit of our fighters."

Since June, Israeli authorities have been transferring Palestinian detainees from Sde Teiman to other facilities due to reports of abuse. But the transfers, and investigations into some cases, are a grossly insufficient response to reports of "widespread torture" and ill-treatment at Sde Teiman. Rights groups cite beatings, stress positions, surgeries without anesthesia, sexual violence, and the prolonged cuffing of arms and legs. An Israeli doctor working there wrote in April that in one week, "two prisoners had their legs amputated due to handcuff injuries, which unfortunately is a routine event."

The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights also reported waterboarding, electrocution, and the detention of healthcare workers, girls, and a woman over 80-years-old with Alzheimer's disease. One man said Israeli soldiers fired a nail gun into his knee. At least 53 Palestinians have died in custody since October 7.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2024/07/31/israeli-lawmakers-try-block-torture-prosecutions
Osodecentx
KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

The_barBEARian said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?

Are you a ****ing idiot?

Land
Cash
Stocks

Name my lobbyist.

Give you 100 guesses.

What do you do for a living? You have a lobbyist
KaiBear
Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

Osodecentx said:

The_barBEARian said:

Osodecentx said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Are you Jewish?

Does it matter ?

To you it is 'crap'.

Bribe? Control?

Link?

Are you a ****ing idiot?

Land
Cash
Stocks

Name my lobbyist.

Give you 100 guesses.

What do you do for a living? You have a lobbyist

Wrong

Guess again.

You have 99 remaining.
First Page Last Page
Page 154 of 166

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.