Netanyahu said "we are at war,"

327,188 Views | 5763 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by historian
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Curious seeing this headline:

Israel Approves Plans for Offensive Against Hezbollah in Lebanon

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spencerbrown/2024/06/18/israel-approves-plans-for-offensive-against-hezbollah-in-lebanon-n2640634
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
J.R.
Very sad. I was fortunate enough to spend a week all over Lebanon , even in Hezbollah territory. My Lebanese friends Christian Minority) are the kindest, warm folks I've been around. Feel for them.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Well, for one thing, this is almost certainly not true. The tunnels are said to be about one meter wide on average, which wouldn't accommodate 2.2 million people even if the space were used for nothing else and you crammed in four people per square meter. Then you have the problem of how they would eat, sleep, and carry out other bodily functions. Not to mention what Israel would do in such a situation. They've attacked tunnels before, and I'm sure most of us would keep cheerleading if they did it again.

That said, despite the squalid conditions that he's proposing and the obvious futility of such a plan, I don't doubt that Simons feels perfectly justified in expecting this kind of thing from Palestinians. It says a lot more about Western attitudes toward "inferior" people than anything else.

I will give Simons credit for his persistence and dedication to spreading fake news. He's issued so many apologies and paid off so many libel claims that most people in his position would have cashed out a long time ago. He either has a prodigious talent for milking money from suckers, or he's the kind of zealot who truly believes that s***-stirring is its own reward.
Nope. the fake news is that Israel is wantonly killing tens of thousands of women & children. In reality, it was Hamas who fired daily ordnance barrages at Israel for years, indiscriminately. In reality, Israel is announcing the times/locations of their attacks and allowing women & children to flee before beginning bombardment. In reality, Israel is clearing those tunnels, filming them, then demolishing them. In reality, it is Hamas who purposely hides among women & children to create collateral damage that will make Israel look bad. The want their citizens dead on a rubble pile or huddled in a humanitarian camp (with Hamas controlling the food/medicine). They then use that camp to hide mortar emplacements to fire at Israelis (picture provided above).

We firebombed German and Japanese cities to break the will of the German and Japanese people, holding them accountable for the actions of their respective governments which were every bit as reprehensible as what Hamas did on October 7th. Israel is showing far greater restraint in response to provocations which are every bit as deserving of the full treatment.

The Palestinian people have chosen this path. Soberly, willingly, gladly. They hate Jews. They want the Jews dead, gone, exterminated from the river to the sea. They are a blight on the human race and should pay the price they are getting until they change their worldview.

Note the muted response from the Arab world. No one is intervening on their behalf. The Arabs are letting them pay the price....for willingly signing up to be an Iranian proxy.

Clearly Mr. Simons is not the only one who's been lying to you.

No one outdoes you in that regard.
I was going to think of a comeback, but your Pompeo tweet made the point for me. Good grief.
He's just noting what I pointed out here on Oct 7th - the obvious - that the attacks on Israel are by well-funded proxies of Iran, who is seeking to distract USA focus away from Ukraine & Taiwan by creating another front of conflict in the Middle East.

It is exactly that kind of global interconnection of events that cause the clear-eyed to recognize that WWIII is already underway, and in each instance hostilities were initiated and then supported by one or more players in the Axis of Russa/Iran/China/North Korea. One need not be feeble minded to miss that. Either obtusity or Russophila will do it, too. And the latter only enhances the former.
whiterock
Aliceinbubbleland said:

whiterock said:

I've been surprised this hasn't alrady happened. I thought the terrorists north of Israel were just waiting for Israeli forces to be excausted and supplies reduced in order to strike a weakened Israel. It was a draw the last time these two faught and it would end up once again in a draw most likely.
They are trying to provoke a response from US Navy. Every missile fired into Lebanon from a US ship or plane depletes ordnance available for defense of Taiwan. So too, US supply to Israel.

The Ukraine war is a land war....ground-ground, ground-air stuff. Most of what's being used there is will have more limited application to the potential war over Taiwan, which will be a maritime conflict and focus on a different set of weaponry.

Same for Yemen & the Houthis. We could take out all those sites very easily and blockade the country to prevent resupply But that takes even more ordnance and ships that would be nice to have available for Taiwan.

Principles of War:
1) Objective. Is Iran the primary objective? (no. they are a diversion).
2) Offensive. Should be aimed at primary objectives.
3) Objective. Contain Russian and Chinese expansionism
4) Maneuver. Requires air/sea control. Sea will not be a problem. Air will be a major contest.
5) Unity of Command: Allies have external lines of commo which frustrate this principle.
6) Security. Good luck with that in a free society.
7) Surprise. Good luck with that in the age of drones.
8) Simplicity. Allies have a very large alliance, with military capabilities divided inefficiently among nations.

We have to let Israel handled Hizballah. But it will cost $$$ and we need to be writing POs to guarantee increased supply of ordnance.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Well, for one thing, this is almost certainly not true. The tunnels are said to be about one meter wide on average, which wouldn't accommodate 2.2 million people even if the space were used for nothing else and you crammed in four people per square meter. Then you have the problem of how they would eat, sleep, and carry out other bodily functions. Not to mention what Israel would do in such a situation. They've attacked tunnels before, and I'm sure most of us would keep cheerleading if they did it again.

That said, despite the squalid conditions that he's proposing and the obvious futility of such a plan, I don't doubt that Simons feels perfectly justified in expecting this kind of thing from Palestinians. It says a lot more about Western attitudes toward "inferior" people than anything else.

I will give Simons credit for his persistence and dedication to spreading fake news. He's issued so many apologies and paid off so many libel claims that most people in his position would have cashed out a long time ago. He either has a prodigious talent for milking money from suckers, or he's the kind of zealot who truly believes that s***-stirring is its own reward.
Nope. the fake news is that Israel is wantonly killing tens of thousands of women & children. In reality, it was Hamas who fired daily ordnance barrages at Israel for years, indiscriminately. In reality, Israel is announcing the times/locations of their attacks and allowing women & children to flee before beginning bombardment. In reality, Israel is clearing those tunnels, filming them, then demolishing them. In reality, it is Hamas who purposely hides among women & children to create collateral damage that will make Israel look bad. The want their citizens dead on a rubble pile or huddled in a humanitarian camp (with Hamas controlling the food/medicine). They then use that camp to hide mortar emplacements to fire at Israelis (picture provided above).

We firebombed German and Japanese cities to break the will of the German and Japanese people, holding them accountable for the actions of their respective governments which were every bit as reprehensible as what Hamas did on October 7th. Israel is showing far greater restraint in response to provocations which are every bit as deserving of the full treatment.

The Palestinian people have chosen this path. Soberly, willingly, gladly. They hate Jews. They want the Jews dead, gone, exterminated from the river to the sea. They are a blight on the human race and should pay the price they are getting until they change their worldview.

Note the muted response from the Arab world. No one is intervening on their behalf. The Arabs are letting them pay the price....for willingly signing up to be an Iranian proxy.

I was going to think of a comeback, but your Pompeo tweet made the point for me. Good grief.
He's just noting what I pointed out here on Oct 7th - the obvious - that the attacks on Israel are by well-funded proxies of Iran, who is seeking to distract USA focus away from Ukraine & Taiwan by creating another front of conflict in the Middle East.

It is exactly that kind of global interconnection of events that cause the clear-eyed to recognize that WWIII is already underway, and in each instance hostilities were initiated and then supported by one or more players in the Axis of Russa/Iran/China/North Korea. One need not be feeble minded to miss that. Either obtusity or Russophila will do it, too. And the latter only enhances the former.
It's not WW3. It's called horizontal escalation, and I predicted it in some form a long time ago. But anyone who doesn't think Netanyahu wants to widen the war is naive.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

It's not WW3. It's called horizontal escalation, and I predicted it in some form a long time ago. But anyone who doesn't think Netanyahu wants to widen the war is naive.
Of course Netanyahu would prefer we become involved directly, but he understands the game board and would be happy if we would just let him do the job for us without sticking appendages in his ears all day, every day.

You would I'm sure insist WWII started on 7th December 1941.
Europeans typically cite German invasion of Poland on 1st September 1939.
Asians typically cite 7th July 1937 when Japan invaded China.
but China will tell you it actually started in 1931 when Japan invaded Manchuria.
and everybody played in it behind the scenes, one way or the other.

WWIII has already started. The only question is can we win it with the proxies at play, or will we have to get more directly involved. We are already threatening the latter - German brigade to the Baltics, French troops to Ukraine, US troops to.....

historian
Much better chronology than most people think about
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Of course Netanyahu would prefer we become involved directly, but he understands the game board and would be happy if we would just let him do the job for us without sticking appendages in his ears all day, every day.

but China will tell you it actually started in 1931 when Japan invaded Manchuria.

WWIII has already started. The only question is can we win it with the proxies at play, or will we have to get more directly involved. We are already threatening the latter - German brigade to the Baltics, French troops to Ukraine, US troops to.....

You're defining it retrospectively and disregarding all the decisions that were made along the way. The chain of events may have started in 1931, but that doesn't mean the conclusion was inevitable.
historian
That could be said of any major event in history.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

You're defining it retrospectively and disregarding all the decisions that were made along the way. The chain of events may have started in 1931, but that doesn't mean the conclusion was inevitable.
Here's the conclusion that's inevitable: Expansionist powers keep going until they are stopped; the only question is where.

Japan wasn't stopped in Manchuria, or China, or Vietnam, or Burma, or Philippines, or......... They were stopped at Midway by the US Navy. They thought they could run the table in the Pacific and we would lack the will to roll them back home Look what it cost us to prove them wrong about that. Rinse & repeat throughout history as far back or forward as you care to to and the lesson is still the same.

The facts of the Russo-Ukraine War are quite obvious: Nato hasn't invaded anyone. Russia has. Not one Nato member was forcibly included into the alliance. Not. One. Russia, on the other hand, is invading and annexing and conducting textbook genocide.
https://globalnews.ca/news/10565709/ukraine-children-deportations-russia-summer/

And still you come here to argue USA is an aggressive imperialist power picking on a patient, responsible Russia.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Here's the conclusion that's inevitable: Expansionist powers keep going until they are stopped; the only question is where.

Japan wasn't stopped in Manchuria, or China, or Vietnam, or Burma, or Philippines, or......... They were stopped at Midway by the US Navy. They thought they could run the table in the Pacific and we would lack the will to roll them back home Look what it cost us to prove them wrong about that. Rinse & repeat throughout history as far back or forward as you care to to and the lesson is still the same.

The facts of the Russo-Ukraine War are quite obvious: Nato hasn't invaded anyone. Russia has. Not one Nato member was forcibly included into the alliance. Not. One. Russia, on the other hand, is invading and annexing and conducting textbook genocide.
https://globalnews.ca/news/10565709/ukraine-children-deportations-russia-summer/

And still you come here to argue USA is an aggressive imperialist power picking on a patient, responsible Russia.

Russia is not an expansionist power, at least not nearly to the same extent as the US. It's true that we will keep going until we're stopped. The Russians have finally figured that out and acted accordingly.
Osodecentx
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Russia is not an expansionist power, at least not nearly to the same extent as the US. It's true that we will keep going until we're stopped. The Russians have finally figured that out and acted accordingly.
I don't understand this. In what way is the US expanding?
Russia invaded a neighboring country and is occupying part of it. You assert this is less expansionist than the US. I don't understand your reasoning.
KaiBear
Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Russia invaded a neighboring country and is occupying part of it. You assert this is less expansionist than the US. I don't understand your reasoning.
Not sure I understand this line of reasoning either.
Sam Lowry
Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

We've invaded and occupied more territory than Russia has. Our post-Cold War policy is one of de facto (as opposed to de jure) annexation. This is a recognized concept in international law. Client regimes and foreign exploitation of resources, like we had in Iraq, are elements of it.

Russia's actions have been limited to their own republics (Chechnya) or close neighbors (Georgia and Ukraine). They've largely been responses to problems created or exacerbated by the West, and until Ukraine they haven't involved annexation in any form. Putin made repeated offers to let Ukraine keep the Donbas, including at least one offer since the invasion in 2022, which is inconsistent with the theory that he was determined to conquer Ukraine. Much less has he shown any intention to expand into Eastern Europe. As John Mearsheimer argues, there's simply no evidence that modern Russia is an expansionist power.
FLBear5630
Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

We've invaded and occupied more territory than Russia has. Our post-Cold War policy is one of de facto (as opposed to de jure) annexation. This is a recognized concept in international law. Client regimes and foreign exploitation of resources, like we had in Iraq, are elements of it.

Russia's actions have been limited to their own republics (Chechnya) or close neighbors (Georgia and Ukraine). They've largely been responses to problems created or exacerbated by the West, and until Ukraine they haven't involved annexation in any form. Putin made repeated offers to let Ukraine keep the Donbas, including at least one offer since the invasion in 2022, which is inconsistent with the theory that he was determined to conquer Ukraine. Much less has he shown any intention to expand into Eastern Europe. As John Mearsheimer argues, there's simply no evidence that modern Russia is an expansionist power.
Really? Who occupies Iraq and Afghanistan? We set up "American Ethnic Regions"? We run Iraq and Afghanistan?

What territory has the US "invaded" and made a satellite like Russia in the modern era?

As for your second point, Putin made offers to let Ukraine keep Donbas in 2022. You say this like it is a positive! Donbas is part of Ukraine, within Ukrainian sovereign borders. PUTIN HAS NO SAY IN WHAT UKRAINE DOES IN DONBAS THAT IS PART OF BEING A SOVERIGN NATION... What part don't you get? Russia has no role inside Ukrainian borders, certainly not to the point of "letting them keep territory or nor".

I find it remarkable that you can defend Putin, this has to be a troll or joke. He invaded with tanks... According to you and others, that is not his fault...
Osodecentx
FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Really? Who occupies Iraq and Afghanistan? We set up "American Ethnic Regions"? We run Iraq and Afghanistan?

What territory has the US "invaded" and made a satellite like Russia in the modern era?

As for your second point, Putin made offers to let Ukraine keep Donbas in 2022. You say this like it is a positive! Donbas is part of Ukraine, within Ukrainian sovereign borders. PUTIN HAS NO SAY IN WHAT UKRAINE DOES IN DONBAS THAT IS PART OF BEING A SOVERIGN NATION... What part don't you get? Russia has no role inside Ukrainian borders, certainly not to the point of "letting them keep territory or nor".

I find it remarkable that you can defend Putin, this has to be a troll or joke. He invaded with tanks... According to you and others, that is not his fault...

See Anchluss & Sudetenland
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Preposterous.

For starters, a quick glance at the map, the sheer numbers of square miles in the two countries saws a couple of legs out from underneath your argument - Russia expanded thru vacant space significantly more than the USA. Secondly, Russia has a millennia old tradition of incorporating existing non-Russian states into its polity, a reflex acted upon not just within the last century, but within the last decade. Who else has seized and annexed territory in Europe? Finally, your assertion that our foreign policy actions amount to defacto annexation is patently one-sided. If we are to apply the standard to which you hold the USA, then we must apply it also to Russia. That would make the entire Warsaw Pact a de facto annexation. Syria a defacto annexation. North Korea a defacto annexation. Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Ethiopia, Somalia Yemen, Guinea, Angola, Indonesia, and so on and so on throughout all the Russian allied states of the last century. For a period of time even China was on that list. Again, US efforts pale in comparison to what Russia has done. But the coup de grace here is the most obvious and proximate fact: Nato has invaded no one since its inception. Every. Single. Member. is fully voluntary. Not so with Russia, who has launched not just the largest, but the only land war invasion in Europe in the last century. They literally annexed sovereign territory of a sovereign country within the last decade!

I would advise that you quit reaching around to the posterior end of your alimentary canal to find the ink to post such drivel. The USA is a multi-ethnic country because of immigration (legal and not); Russia is a multi-ethnic country solely because of invasions of neighboring lands.
FLBear5630
Osodecentx said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

See Anchluss & Sudetenland
It is amazing the similarities. Putin believes he was wronged by a past treaty, that Russia was party to accepting.

The same excuse of ethnic peoples in the questioned land.

The only difference is that Putin's Army is not as efficient as the Germans were in 1939.

It is eerie. AND we have the same Doves yelling the same lines of either agreeing the Putin is right or don't let another non-Ukrainian die over a foreign war. Probably been the same back to Rome...

I should watch Munich again before the "Peace Talks"...
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Preposterous.

For starters, a quick glance at the map, the sheer numbers of square miles in the two countries saws a couple of legs out from underneath your argument - Russia expanded thru vacant space significantly more than the USA. Secondly, Russia has a millennia old tradition of incorporating existing non-Russian states into its polity, a reflex acted upon not just within the last century, but within the last decade. Who else has seized and annexed territory in Europe? Finally, your assertion that our foreign policy actions amount to defacto annexation is patently one-sided. If we are to apply the standard to which you hold the USA, then we must apply it also to Russia. That would make the entire Warsaw Pact a de facto annexation. Syria a defacto annexation. North Korea a defacto annexation. Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Ethiopia, Somalia Yemen, Guinea, Angola, Indonesia, and so on and so on throughout all the Russian allied states of the last century. For a period of time even China was on that list. Again, US efforts pale in comparison to what Russia has done. But the coup de grace here is the most obvious and proximate fact: Nato has invaded no one since its inception. Every. Single. Member. is fully voluntary. Not so with Russia, who has launched not just the largest, but the only land war invasion in Europe in the last century. They literally annexed sovereign territory of a sovereign country within the last decade!

I would advise that you quit reaching around to the posterior end of your alimentary canal to find the ink to post such drivel. The USA is a multi-ethnic country because of immigration (legal and not); Russia is a multi-ethnic country solely because of invasions of neighboring lands.
I'm talking post-Cold War, not half a millennium ago. Otherwise I'd have mentioned US expansion across the North American continent (which was hardly "vacant," unless you mean there were no white people). Russia did invade Czechoslovakia, but to suggest all the allies of Russia or the United States have been annexed is ridiculous. And again, NATO invades other countries all the time. See the above mentioned examples.
historian
The movie Munich is about the terrorist attack on the 1972 Olympics. It has nothing to do with Hitler & the Nazis. And it's not even very good.
Sam Lowry
FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

We left unwillingly, and only after a couple of decades. The fact that we failed doesn't change what we were trying to do.

I'm not saying Putin's offer was a positive or a negative. You should stop getting so distracted by the blame game and focus on the point. We're talking about Putin's intentions. His actions are an indicator. And they are more consistent with a self-defensive policy than a land grab.
FLBear5630
historian said:

The movie Munich is about the terrorist attack on the 1972 Olympics. It has nothing to do with Hitler & the Nazis. And it's not even very good.
Munich- The Edge of War Netflix

It is based on a Robert Harris. It is entertaining and based around true events, if you are looking for entertainment. It is not a documentary by any means.
whiterock
LOL no, Nato has not invaded a single square inch to force obeisance to its interests. Never. Russia, on the other hand, has done a helluva lot more than Czechoslovakia and is on a bit of a roll recently, invading a neighbor to start the first and largest major land war in Europe since WWII. It's also threatened specifically Finland and Sweden for joining Nato.

historian
Not familiar but I stopped watching Netflix a few years ago
historian
The main reasons Finland & Sweden joined NATO was their concerns about Russian aggression.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

FLBear5630 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

We left unwillingly, and only after a couple of decades. The fact that we failed doesn't change what we were trying to do.

I'm not saying Putin's offer was a positive or a negative. You should stop getting so distracted by the blame game and focus on the point. We're talking about Putin's intentions. His actions are an indicator. And they are more consistent with a self-defensive policy than a land grab.
Self defense against what? There was a threat to Russian influence in Ukraine. There was never a threat to Russia. You've somehow conflated the two.
FLBear5630
Self Defense??? Nobody threatened Russia, not since Hitler! No, this is ego. He is pissed former Iron Block Nations prefer the EU and NATO. There is no threat to Russia proper. This is empire and flailing to maintain the past. No nation in their right mind would choose Russia over EU. This is acting out on the world stage by Putin .

Threaten Russia, give me a break. The threat to Russia is not NATO invading it is internal, Sibetia and the east leaving....
ATL Bear
FLBear5630 said:

Self Defense??? Nobody threatened Russia, not since Hitler! No, this is ego. He is pissed former Iron Block Nations prefer the EU and NATO. There is no threat to Russia proper. This is empire and flailing to maintain the past. No nation in their right mind would choose Russia over EU. This is acting out on the world stage by Putin .

Threaten Russia, give me a break. The threat to Russia is not NATO invading it is internal, Sibetia and the east leaving....
Not sure why you were responding to me (perhaps you meant Sam), but I concur that this wasn't a self defense play by Russia, and I'm trying to shake out why that card is being played by certain posters.
FLBear5630
ATL Bear said:

FLBear5630 said:

Not sure why you were responding to me (perhaps you meant Sam), but I concur that this wasn't a self defense play by Russia, and I'm trying to shake out why that card is being played by certain posters.

Sorry, couldn't find post u responded to. I agree. There are no threats to Russ a in Europe. Putin better focus on East of the Urals, that is where threats are.
Redbrickbear
historian
Tiny little Israel was outnumbered, outgunned and surrounded by enemies who wanted to destroy them. In 1967 they didn't just defeat their enemies they conquered them. They gained vast territory at the expense of their enemies, some of which they still control and have no reason to relinquish. It was nothing short of miraculous when one considers the magnitude of their victory in ONLY SIX DAYS.

It looks like divine intervention.
Realitybites
FLBear5630 said:

There are no threats to Russ a in Europe. Putin better focus on East of the Urals, that is where threats are.

Deputy National Security Adviser Robert Gates wrote, Cheney "wanted to see the dismantlement not only of the Soviet Union and the Russian empire but of Russia itself"

Can't possibly see why a large nuclear armed nation would find such sentiments threatening particularly in light of a multi-decade long expansion of NATO towards its border.

We have explained to the Russia! Russia! Russia! crowd why this war didn't magically arise out of thin air a couple of years ago.
Redbrickbear
historian said:

Tiny little Israel was outnumbered, outgunned and surrounded by enemies who wanted to destroy them. In 1967 they didn't just defeat their enemies they conquered them. They gained vast territory at the expense of their enemies, some of which they still control and have no reason to relinquish. It was nothing short of miraculous when one considers the magnitude of their victory in ONLY SIX DAYS.

Right or wrong... the question is really more one of sustainability.

There are 5.35 million Palestinians living in the West Bank and Gaza.

Its hard to see how the 9 million Israelis can keep them under gun point rule forever.

Israeli Prime Minster Sharon was saying this 20 years ago.

["It is not possible to continue holding 3 1/2 million people under occupation," Sharon told an assembly of lawmakers from his Likud Party. "You may not like the word, but what's happening is occupation. This is a terrible thing for Israel, for the Palestinians and for the Israeli economy."

The foray into peace rhetoric came one day after Sharon coaxed the Israeli Cabinet to endorse a U.S.-backed peace plan calling for the creation of a Palestinian state.]
whiterock
Realitybites said:

FLBear5630 said:

There are no threats to Russ a in Europe. Putin better focus on East of the Urals, that is where threats are.

Deputy National Security Adviser Robert Gates wrote, Cheney "wanted to see the dismantlement not only of the Soviet Union and the Russian empire but of Russia itself"

Can't possibly see why a large nuclear armed nation would find such sentiments threatening particularly in light of a multi-decade long expansion of NATO towards its border.

We have explained to the Russia! Russia! Russia! crowd why this war didn't magically arise out of thin air a couple of years ago.
this war didn't magically arise in response to Nato rhetoric. It happened because Russia foolishly invaded Ukraine.
sombear
Redbrickbear said:

historian said:

Right or wrong... the question is really more one of sustainability.

There are 5.35 million Palestinians living in the West Bank and Gaza.

Its hard to see how the 9 million Israelis can keep them under gun point rule forever.

Israeli Prime Minster Sharon was saying this 20 years ago.

["It is not possible to continue holding 3 1/2 million people under occupation," Sharon told an assembly of lawmakers from his Likud Party. "You may not like the word, but what's happening is occupation. This is a terrible thing for Israel, for the Palestinians and for the Israeli economy."

The foray into peace rhetoric came one day after Sharon coaxed the Israeli Cabinet to endorse a U.S.-backed peace plan calling for the creation of a Palestinian state.]
You've posted this quote multiple times, and it is accurate, but you seem to suggest Sharon was deciding between occupation and just walking away and letting Palestine do what it wants. He was pushing for the peace deal. And he repeatedly emphasized it had to start with Palestine cracking down on Hamas and other extremists. I doubt anyone in Israel thinks occupation is the permanent solution. But the calculation has always been that it's better than the alternative, which was proven for the 1000th time October of last year.
First Page Last Page
Page 134 of 165

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.