Netanyahu said "we are at war,"

328,393 Views | 5772 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by ATL Bear
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

historian said:

There is no question that NATO has had real value for most of its existence, especially in the early years. However, more recently there have been reasons for doubt. For example, in the 1990s it was largely worthless dealing with the chaos in the former Yugoslavia until the U.S. provided leadership. And that was the Clinton years when we didn't have much in the way of positive leadership.

Today, there are plenty of reasons to question its effectiveness and its dependence on the US. Europe is perfectly capable of defending themselves and Russia is not nearly as much of a threat as the Soviet Union was. In fact, it seems most of the problems Europe faces are those they created gif themselves. Ironically perhaps, those problems ard what American Leftists want for the US despite the glaring examples of failures in Europe & elsewhere.

I think you should read a bit on Russia's capabilities and what the UKs military believe is coming. Three years, they believe if not rearmed UK and NATO will be in a WW2 situation. But, conveniently you guys don't believe any of the assessments because they are all NEOCONs with a plot to rule the world, right. Funny, any data you guys throw out is gold, no matter how far fetched, and anything that goes contrary is the Deep State Military Industrial Complex.

I do not know how ANYONE can look around the world at China, Russia, N Korea, and Iran and say "Yeah, we don't need foreign alliances, forget NATO, USANZ, Rio, Japan, Israel and Korea. They are not worth it.". Short sighted and strategic niaivity. But you guys want to go back to 1890 foreign policy, foolish.
yep. British MOD? neocons. French MOD? neocons. German MOD? neocons. Swedish MOD? neocons. Finnish MOD? neocons. etc...... Anyone who wants to stop Russia from invading the largest country in Europe is a neocon. It is necessary for them to be neocons, to demonize them as neocons, in order to avoid sober discuss of the the geopolitical consequences of allowing Russia to subsume Ukraine back into Russian polity.

Swedish MinDef has made public speeches telling the Swedish people to get ready for war. That's not because Sweden is going to invade Russia. It's because Sweden knows the history and can see that Russia is doing......that Russia is back in expansion mode again.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67935464

it's kinda rare for an authoritarian regime to self-limit when it starts march its armies thru other peoples' lands. Usually, someone (an army) or something like a typhoon (Chinese invasion of Japan), brutal winter (Napoleon's invasion of Russia), domestic political upheavals (death of Ogedai Khan), etc....) has to stop them. EX: Mongol forces won the battle of Legnica, near the Polish/German border and were preparing to push on into Germany, but turned back when Ogedai Khan died. Batu Khan returned to Mogolia to in order to present his case for being the next Great Khan. It proved to be the high water mark of Mongol threats to western Europe.
SOMETHING has to stop an expansionist power.
George Kennan predicted this false narrative back in 1998: "I think it is the beginning of new cold war. Of course, there is going to be a bad reaction from Russia, and then [the NATO expanders] will say we always told you that is how the Russians are--but this is just wrong."
If that's what he thought, then Kennan was foolish for thinking Russia would be content to remain in what it clearly believed to be a diminished state. They have never been content with the footprint they have now, at any point in their history you care to examiine.
It's an opinion based on history and experience. Great powers tend to decline messily and with much bloodshed. The Soviet Union under Gorbachev was the exception.
boognish_bear
J.R.
FLBear5630 said:

historian said:

FLBear5630 said:

historian said:

There is no question that NATO has had real value for most of its existence, especially in the early years. However, more recently there have been reasons for doubt. For example, in the 1990s it was largely worthless dealing with the chaos in the former Yugoslavia until the U.S. provided leadership. And that was the Clinton years when we didn't have much in the way of positive leadership.

Today, there are plenty of reasons to question its effectiveness and its dependence on the US. Europe is perfectly capable of defending themselves and Russia is not nearly as much of a threat as the Soviet Union was. In fact, it seems most of the problems Europe faces are those they created gif themselves. Ironically perhaps, those problems ard what American Leftists want for the US despite the glaring examples of failures in Europe & elsewhere.

I think you should read a bit on Russia's capabilities and what the UKs military believe is coming. Three years, they believe if not rearmed UK and NATO will be in a WW2 situation. But, conveniently you guys don't believe any of the assessments because they are all NEOCONs with a plot to rule the world, right. Funny, any data you guys throw out is gold, no matter how far fetched, and anything that goes contrary is the Deep State Military Industrial Complex.

I do not know how ANYONE can look around the world at China, Russia, N Korea, and Iran and say "Yeah, we don't need foreign alliances, forget NATO, USANZ, Rio, Japan, Israel and Korea. They are not worth it.". Short sighted and strategic niaivity. But you guys want to go back to 1890 foreign policy, foolish.

Don't put words into my mouth. I'm not an isolationist and I never said such things. I am not calling for the end of NATO only for it to be revamped and for our European partners to play their proper role & pay their share. It probably needs a major overhaul to deal with modern realities.

I do not believe that we are on the verge of another world war or that Russia is it a big of a threat as you seem to think. However we should prepare for such a threat just in case. Peace through strength.

All of these issues and all of the chaos across the world just pointed to the glaring problem of American weakness. America needs strong leadership and we need to provide leader ship internationally but we're not gonna get any of that from the fascist because they can't even deal with reality. Their Marxism, neopaganism, & globalist megalomania all point in crazy directions and lead to insane policies.
I actually agree with you on the time to restructure NATO and our agreements. I have no problem requiring Europe to pay more. I would like to see NATO be in the Pacific too, balance the dialogue.

I do not believe Ukraine is seeing the full Russian onslaught. Actually, I think Putin is using Ukraine as practice and gearing up. He and Xi have a plan and that is what scares me. When your opposition is testing you and gearing up, reducing commitments does not send the right message.

most all NATO countries have upped the necessary contribution. Most are at 2% of GDP. NATO is vital and cannot be destroyed by fat boy.
J.R.
boognish_bear said:

so, who is mr. Barak ? I'm not familiar with his fine work.
nein51
Israeli journalist, CNN political foreign analyst, writes for Axios

Got his start at Channel 13 news in Israel
whiterock
historian said:

But we're those attacks successful? I don't think so. I must admit my knowledge of Japanese history is primary focused on modern events from the unification on.
in both Chinese invasion attempts, a typhoon destroyed the fleets before they landed = total loss of invasion force at sea. That prompted the Mongols to leave Japan alone and focus on places they'd had more success.

Mongols also came to grief in Vietnam, for reasons not unlike the events in the modern era = the Vietnamese simply will not submit to foreign control.

History is quite clear that expansionist powers until they are stopped. Look at the size of Russia today. And Russia isn't happy with it. To some degree, this is understandable. Russia does not have defensible borders in the classic sense. They have always dealt with that by expansion, to control all the major invasion routes. At the collapse of the USSR, they lost control of all major invasion routes. ZERO chance an autocratic Russia would be content with that. it would need Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, and Ukraine to control all the invasion routes from the west. That's just geopolitics.....what the map dictates upon the various polities of Eastern Europe writ large.

Of course, all the nations of continental Europe, save Spain and Switzerland, could say the same thing about ease and frequency of invasion. They all have mostly indefensible borders. They all have been invaded from one direction of the other over & over & over just like Russia has. The difference is, European nations, via Nato and EU, have all agreed to abandon all border disputes and enter into collective defense of a free, democratic, capitalist system. They've all promised to trade rather than war with one another Russia, meanwhile, is still an autocracy and is unwilling to make that same commitment. It still wants to be a dominant power at the center of a vast empire, and that requires war.

The advance of Nato/EU is not a threat to a free, democratic, capitalist Russia.
It is only a threat to an autocratic Russia.
Russia of course knows this. it knows full well that Nato could never launch a pre-emptive expansionist war against Russia. Such would require every Nato member to sign on, and that will never happen. But it will still put out propaganda about Nato being an expansionist power which forced Russia to start a war. And some smart people will buy it, mostly because it serves their other agendas.

whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

FLBear5630 said:

historian said:

yep. British MOD? neocons. French MOD? neocons. German MOD? neocons. Swedish MOD? neocons. Finnish MOD? neocons. etc...... Anyone who wants to stop Russia from invading the largest country in Europe is a neocon. It is necessary for them to be neocons, to demonize them as neocons, in order to avoid sober discuss of the the geopolitical consequences of allowing Russia to subsume Ukraine back into Russian polity.

Swedish MinDef has made public speeches telling the Swedish people to get ready for war. That's not because Sweden is going to invade Russia. It's because Sweden knows the history and can see that Russia is doing......that Russia is back in expansion mode again.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67935464

it's kinda rare for an authoritarian regime to self-limit when it starts march its armies thru other peoples' lands. Usually, someone (an army) or something like a typhoon (Chinese invasion of Japan), brutal winter (Napoleon's invasion of Russia), domestic political upheavals (death of Ogedai Khan), etc....) has to stop them. EX: Mongol forces won the battle of Legnica, near the Polish/German border and were preparing to push on into Germany, but turned back when Ogedai Khan died. Batu Khan returned to Mogolia to in order to present his case for being the next Great Khan. It proved to be the high water mark of Mongol threats to western Europe.
SOMETHING has to stop an expansionist power.
George Kennan predicted this false narrative back in 1998: "I think it is the beginning of new cold war. Of course, there is going to be a bad reaction from Russia, and then [the NATO expanders] will say we always told you that is how the Russians are--but this is just wrong."
If that's what he thought, then Kennan was foolish for thinking Russia would be content to remain in what it clearly believed to be a diminished state. They have never been content with the footprint they have now, at any point in their history you care to examiine.
It's an opinion based on history and experience. Great powers tend to decline messily and with much bloodshed. The Soviet Union under Gorbachev was the exception.
no, it's a fact. Russian history is a repetitive cycle of expansion and collapse and expansion and collapse. The USSR and Warsaw Pact was a high water mark for them = not sustainable. Also not exceptional - they've campaigned armies many times before in each of the WP countries in pursuit of imperial expansionism. Also in Nato countries (Turkey). And in non-Nato countries (Iran, China) . But now they want it all back. They always want it all. Ukraine is just in the way.

You have a very incomplete knowledge of history, compounded by a problem with understanding what you do know.
boognish_bear
nein51
Well that's one way to torpedo your career
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
KaiBear
boognish_bear said:

Very important photo op.

Hopefully American Jews remember what Trumps administration did for Israel.
The_barBEARian
KaiBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Very important photo op.

So American Jews are more concerned about what Trump did for a foreign country vs what he did for Americans?!?!??

And you idiots are ok with that?!???
KaiBear
The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Very important photo op.

So American Jews are more concerned about what Trump did for a foreign country vs what he did for Americans?!?!??

No one said or even implied such a thing .

You seem to do looking for any excuse to go nuts .
The_barBEARian
KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Very important photo op.

You said:

"Hopefully American Jews remember what Trumps administration did for Israel"

That implies a group of Americans caring more about the welfare of a foreign country over their own country.

Should Americans of Nigerian descent remember what Trump did for Nigeria?

Although I don't think we've given $30 billion to Nigeria this year yet.
Redbrickbear
The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Very important photo op.

You said:

That implies a group of Americans caring more about the welfare of a foreign country over their own country.

Everyone is a nationalist about the ethnic group they love.

And anti-nationalist about the ethnic group they dislike or don't care about.

Once you realize that things make a lot more sense.....

ps

I should say almost everyone.

There are those lovable eccentrics who are not part of the Nation who often take up the cause and become excessive champions of a certain type of nationalism.

The Englishmen who went to fight for Greek independence in their war against the Turks for instance.

The French born Prince of Polignac....called by the Confederates "Prince Pole Cat".... who showed up as a volunteer to fight for the South in the Civil War.

And other lovable weirdos throughout history
boognish_bear
Redbrickbear
boognish_bear said:

If nothing else its good to see a major party candidate come out unabashedly as pro-Natalist and start talking about the birth rate collapse all over the world.
KaiBear
The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Very important photo op.

You said:

Ridiculous

You are the only one inserting the 'more' word .

Childish attempt to be 'outraged' still again .
The_barBEARian
I get irate bcs all I do is give, give, give to this country and then my own government does more for the citizens of a foreign government than they do for me. In fact, they can't even fulfill one of their primary duties - a secure border and thwarting foreign invasions.

Why bother continuing to pay taxes?

If Mexico took 100 Americans hostages, would our greatest ally spend the next year blasting it's population with 24/7 news coverage of the American hostages and demanding Israelis do everything in their power to bring them home? Would Israel send America $30 billion dollars in a single year? Would Israel continue to support us if we wiped out 1/10th of Mexico's population?
Redbrickbear
The_barBEARian said:

I get irate bcs all I do is give, give, give to this country and then my own government does more for the citizens of a foreign government than they do for me. In fact, they can't even fulfill one of their primary duties - a secure border and thwarting foreign invasions.

If Mexico took 100 Americans hostages, would our greatest ally spend the next year blasting it's population with 24/7 news coverage of the American hostages and demanding Israelis do everything in their power to bring them home? Would Israel send America $30 billion dollars in a single year? Would Israel continue to support us if we wiped out 1/10th of Mexico's population?

They won't even sign a mutual defense pact with the USA

So...no its unlikely Israel would go to war with anyone unless it was to the direct benefit of Israel.

whitetrash
The_barBEARian said:

boognish_bear
historian
Do you realize how absurd such comparisons are?

The U.S. is the most powerful and wealthiest nation in history. Israel is smaller than Massachusetts and with a population about the size of NYC. Israel is prosperous, mainly because they have a mostly free economy, but they rank 28th among major world economies.

Your arguments are idiotic because they have little connection to reality.
The_barBEARian
historian said:

The U.S. is the most powerful and wealthiest nation in history. Israel is smaller than Massachusetts and with a population about the size of NYC. Israel is prosperous, mainly because they have a mostly free economy, but they rank 28th among major world economies.

Israel also has a budget surplus last year while the US has year after year of burgeoning debt.

Yet you still support them receiving $30 billion from the US tax payer to defend their borders when our own borders are completely broken.
Realitybites
historian said:

We are trillions in debt, have a debt to GDP ratio approaching Greece, our currency has lost 90%+ of its purchasing power per unit over the last century. Define "wealthy".

We are in no position to hand other countries money regardless of the flag they fly.
FLBear5630
The_barBEARian said:

Was it really 1/10? You sure it isn't 1/8 or 1/9? The US did not give 30 billion in a year. You are all over on your facts, so we really can't take your point seriously. Please be more exact...
whiterock
Redbrickbear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Very important photo op.

You said:

ps

There are those lovable eccentrics who are not part of the Nation who often take up the cause and become excessive champions of a certain type of nationalism.

The Englishmen who went to fight for Greek independence in their war against the Turks for instance.

The French born Prince of Polignac....called by the Confederates "Prince Pole Cat".... who showed up as a volunteer to fight for the South in the Civil War.

Did Lafayette love America more than France?
Did Hemingway love Spain more than America?
Did Chenault love China mor than America?
Patton was a noted Francophile. Does that mean he loved France more than America?
I'm an anglophile and there's no one in history I admire more than Churchill. Does that make me a Brit?
I loved the Polish Pope, as an ally in the Cold War. That didn't make me a Catholic

I know Jews across the political spectrum. Although some are more vocal about it than others, all of them care about the survival of Israel. None of them "love Israel more than America." That is a straw man barBearian inserts into the equation to justify his hatred of Jews.
Redbrickbear
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Very important photo op.

You said:

ps

Patton was a noted Francophile. Does that mean he loved France more than America?
I'm an anglophile and there's no one in history I admire more than Churchill. Does that make me a Brit?
I loved the Polish Pope, as an ally in the Cold War. That didn't make me a Catholic

I know Jews across the political spectrum. Although some are more vocal about it than others, all of them care about the survival of Israel. None of them "love Israel more than America." That is a straw man barBearian inserts into the equation to justify his hatred of Jews.

Certainly there have always been exceptions to every rule.

But the rule remains….dual loyalty does not work often

PS

Lafayette came over to fight more for hatred of England than love of America

[Historian Marc Leepson argued that Lafayette, "who had grown up loathing the British for killing his father", felt that an American victory in the conflict would diminish Britain's stature internationally.]
ShooterTX
The_barBEARian said:

historian said:

Israel also has a budget surplus last year while the US has year after year of burgeoning debt.

Yet you still support them receiving $30 billion from the US tax payer to defend their borders when our own borders are completely broken.
Trump was working on a very long term solution to this issue with the Abraham Accords. He was succeeding in a plan to get the Arab world to declare peace with the state of Israel. Once Saudi Arabia had signed, the need for foreign support would have evaporated.

But the dems chose to put an obvious buffoon with dementia into the White House.... and now there is a war. The same is true for Ukraine.
Weak leadership creates conflicts and creates opportunities for corrupt politicians to funnel billions of dollars overseas. Strong leadership actually promotes peace and eventually leads to far less foreign support.

Allowing Israel and the Jews to be wiped off the face of the earth, will NOT create peace. Only a sick ******* would think that it's a shame that Hitler didn't finish the job... so now we need to support Hamas & Iran in their efforts to complete the work he started.

And for anyone who is still dumb enough to make the "Israel is committing genocide" argument... get educated.

Since 1948, Jewish populations living in Arab controlled nations have decreased by over 99%. Yet in that same time, the Arab population living under Jewish controlled nations (Israel, Gaza, the West Bank) have increased by over 1,200%. How can anyone with a brain consider this massive population growth to be a "genocide"?
ShooterTX
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
A playground....WTH?

The_barBEARian
whiterock said:

Redbrickbear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

The_barBEARian said:

KaiBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Very important photo op.

You said:

ps

It is not a strawman.

It is reality.

Anyone with an ounce of intelligence can see AIPAC exploits Americans for Israel's best interests.

I'm trying to not be vulgar and direct personal attacks at specific posters but this Boomer mentality of allowing Americans to be slaves to a foreign nation will not continue with the millennials and Gen Z... and the more money and support wasted on a foreign country the more we grow to dispise them.

I don't have any ill will towards Bali, Nigeria, or Serbia bcs they are not stealing my tax dollars and buying my politicians to pass laws that violate my constitutional rights.
The_barBEARian
And how much more debt would the Abraham Accords have costed us?

Another $1 trillion in debt and added inflation to bribe a bunch of Arab countries to play nice with our "greatest ally"?

At what point do average middle America Americans like myself see some kind of tangible benefit from our relationship with Israel?

Or will it continue to be a astronomical net negative relationship as is has been my entire life?
The_barBEARian
FLBear5630 said:

The_barBEARian said:

Was it really 1/10? You sure it isn't 1/8 or 1/9? The US did not give 30 billion in a year. You are all over on your facts, so we really can't take your point seriously. Please be more exact...

Aren't you the guy talking about how selfish the younger generations are?

There was no greater selfish act in American history than 2008, when Boomers wrecked the economy either through greed or negligence and rather than accepting your well deserved punishment of losing 50% of your net worth... you kicked the can down the road and ballooned our national debt.

And so far you've kicked that can to the tune of $35 trillion and counting...

First Page Last Page
Page 143 of 165

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.