House Republicans Elect Mike Johnson Speaker, Ending Weeks of Uncertainty

19,087 Views | 504 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by whiterock
Redbrickbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
boognish_bear
Redbrickbear
EatMoreSalmon
Redbrickbear said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

The_barBEARian said:

boognish_bear said:

Autocratic, Theocratic apologist?

Israel is a Autocratic Theocracy poorly disguised as a Democratic Republic.

In Israel a muslim man can not marry a jewish woman.

It is against the law.

From a wedding planner in Israel:

"Israeli marriages are a religious matter whether you are Jewish, Muslim, Christian, or Druze; the state only recognizes marriages performed by a religious body if you have one of these religio-national groups on your Israeli I.D. card or wish to be married by one of these authorities if you are coming from abroad. Couples of mixed religious background and tourists often get married abroad in order to obtain a marriage license and then hold a ceremony in Israel to solidify the union in the way they want without meeting all of the requirements for religious marriage in Israel."

They even DNA test you to make sure you are racially Jewish before you can immigrate….

From electronicintifada.net? You can do better than that. I'll take the information from the wedding planner over that.
Redbrickbear
boognish_bear
The_barBEARian
boognish_bear said:

And they wonder why no one trusts the media anymore... it's all propaganda. Even if you dont like MTG, its clear this is not journalism. It is propaganda.
J.R.
4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

J.R. said:

I applaud the speaker for doing the right thing and risking his gig. About time the R's have someone with balls and principles. Screw the hard right crazies, like some on this board!

Hard right crazies = People with IQs above room temperature.

This is precisely why we need a national divorce.

Guys like you are dragging down the rest of us into the 3rd world, totalitarian abyss when we are just trying to preserve the quality of life and freedoms we got to experience for our children and grandchildren.

ok, MR. $100K in taxes. Can you please explain what you mean about "Guys like me" are dragging us into 35rd world, totalitarian abyss". I'm very, very curious just what you are implying . Please enlighten guys like me. Sounds a little disingenuous for someone who puts their tax bill on a message board. Let's hear it, big guy.
100k in taxes isnt that big of a tax bill any more..
really? huh. Seems like it to me. So, you had a $100K tax bill?
yes, you didnt?
I don't put my financial business on a message board. Anyone who does, I have to wonder about.
J.R.
J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

J.R. said:

I applaud the speaker for doing the right thing and risking his gig. About time the R's have someone with balls and principles. Screw the hard right crazies, like some on this board!

Guys like you are dragging down the rest of us into the 3rd world, totalitarian abyss when we are just trying to preserve the quality of life and freedoms we got to experience for our children and grandchildren.

ok, MR. $100K in taxes. Can you please explain what you mean about "Guys like me" are dragging us into 3rd world, totalitarian abyss". I'm very, very curious just what you are implying . Please enlighten guys like me. Sounds a little disingenuous for someone who puts their tax bill on a message board. Let's hear it, big guy.
Waiting on the answer, big man.
J.R.
The_barBEARian said:

boognish_bear said:

And they wonder why no one trusts the media anymore... it's all propaganda. Even if you dont like MTG, its clear this is not journalism. It is propaganda.
she absolutely deserves this. She is a wack job and needs to be removed. She is nothing but a shrew of a bomb thrower. How did she get elected? Damn this is what we have devolved into.
Aliceinbubbleland
The_barBEARian said:

boognish_bear said:

It's Journalism at its finest! Moscow Marge is an absolutely perfect description of the despicable.
4th and Inches
J.R. said:

4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

J.R. said:

ok, MR. $100K in taxes. Can you please explain what you mean about "Guys like me" are dragging us into 35rd world, totalitarian abyss". I'm very, very curious just what you are implying . Please enlighten guys like me. Sounds a little disingenuous for someone who puts their tax bill on a message board. Let's hear it, big guy.
yes, you didnt?
I don't put my financial business on a message board. Anyone who does, I have to wonder about.
why?
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
boognish_bear
Redbrickbear
J.R.
4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

J.R. said:

yes, you didnt?
why?
cut people who are truly successful would never do that. Very douchie.
muddybrazos
J.R. said:

4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

J.R. said:

yes, you didnt?
why?
Mark Cuban is a dooche and he was bragging about how he paid 288 mill in taxes. Of course his was more of a virtue signal about how he's proud to pay all that in taxes.
Harrison Bergeron
J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

boognish_bear said:

she absolutely deserves this. She is a wack job and needs to be removed. She is nothing but a shrew of a bomb thrower. How did she get elected? Damn this is what we have devolved into.
Agreed. I am amazed at the idiots we elect to Congress. Was there not a time when only the best and brightest were elected?

I'm sure there are some smart members of Congress, but there are some legitimate morons.

The Republicans have never been good at enforcing party discipline. The Democrat representatives are certainly on average more stupid, but the party knows how to keep them in line.
FLBear5630
Harrison Bergeron said:

J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

boognish_bear said:

Agreed. I am amazed at the idiots we elect to Congress. Was there not a time when only the best and brightest were elected?

I'm sure there are some smart members of Congress, but there are some legitimate morons.

The Republicans have never been good at enforcing party discipline. The Democrat representatives are certainly on average more stupid, but the party knows how to keep them in line.
Does she have any real power? From what I can tell, she technically has about as little power as a Rep can have.
4th and Inches
J.R. said:

4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

J.R. said:

yes, you didnt?
why?
stating you have money is not the same thing as flaunting it.

Flaunting it is very douchie.

Elon Musk has numerous times posted online about his tax bill
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
whiterock
Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Redbrickbear said:

Osodecentx said:

Whiskey Pete said:

Quote:

Quote:

You're living in fear

More like concerned with protecting our civil liberties.

You're afraid of terrorists under the bed and willing to give up freedom for the promise of security
Sometimes I wonder if he's willing to give up freedoms for convenience.

What freedoms am I giving up?

You didn't answer the question. Do you endorse Taibbi's criticism?
Do you have any concerns at all?

Yes, but I'm more concerned about Iran, China, & Russia than the privacy of non-citizens contacting foreigners.

What do you think?
I am a movement conservative who subscribes to Matt Taibbi, and I think several things at once:
--A FISA court is an existential need (first hand experience).
--A FISA court is a very dangerous thing
--The FISA court has been badly abused (against my side of the aisle)
--Due process matters.
--A Court or an Agency are easier to rebuild than an entire Republic.
--The system is badly in need of a few perp-walks to restore both public trust and civil service respect

https://www.racket.news/p/saturday-massacre-in-congress?utm_campaign=email-post&r=7o7ba&utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

snippet:

"Similarly, at the end of last year, Section 702 had been set to "expire" on December 31st amid another panic. Congressional leaders inserted an extension through April 19th into the "must-pass" National Defense Authorization Act, seemingly tying the FISA extension to all military appropriations and staving off the horror of even temporary FISA-less existence.

But that too, was fake. As the ACLU, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the Freedom of the Press Foundation, and over two dozen other groups wrote to congressional leaders at the end of last year, the government was already conducting surveillance "pursuant to a one-year FISA Court authorization" from the previous year.

In other words, the Executive Branch has been re-authorizing itself two years running, and Congress has gone along, setting the precedent that spy agencies need not ask permission to do anything at all.

It turns out the only real check on the continuation of the FISA program is the FISA court itself, which approved the Department of Justice's request in late February of this year for an early extension. Assistant Attorney General Matthew Olsen told the New York Times when the request was made that bypassing Congress was necessary because it is "our responsibility" to "avoid a dangerous gap in collection.""

The administrative state has crossed the Rubicon.
FLBear5630
Harrison Bergeron said:

J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

boognish_bear said:

I am actually more impressed with Johnson the further we get into his Speakership.

I agree with him on being on the right side of history and at least understanding that both sides have to work together on something. Pick it, but pick something and get it done.
BearFan33
FLBear5630 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

boognish_bear said:

I am actually more impressed with Johnson the further we get into his Speakership.

I agree with him on being on the right side of history and at least understanding that both sides have to work together on something. Pick it, but pick something and get it done.
Sure Johnson is "getting it done" but he is ultimately doing the work of the Democrats. I'd rather vacate and get nothing done rather than the continual bankruptcy of the country. If he is thinking he is building goodwill with democrats that will pay dividends later, then he is really really stupid.

I do believe Trump does support these spending packages. One knock on him is he never seemed to care much about spending either.
Waco1947
Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

The Native Americans called and said they built this country way before you arrived

They did?

There was a United States before 1776? Silliness. Great civilizations were being built way before the West European nations arrived.

So you are admitting the Indians did NOT build this country. What an odd interpretation? I am not admitting your false narrative. I am admitting that the cultures, civilizations, and intelligence of the Indigenous Peoples created a loose confederation and trade among these cultures that is a "country" called Mesoamerica, North America, Central America, and South America.

There were just civilizations in the western hemisphere.

Fair enough we can agree on that!
Waco1947
Redbrickbear
Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

The Native Americans called and said they built this country way before you arrived

They did?

There was a United States before 1776? Silliness. Great civilizations were being built way before the West European nations arrived.

So you are admitting the Indians did NOT build this country. What an odd interpretation? I am not admitting your false narrative. I am admitting that the cultures, civilizations, and intelligence of the Indigenous Peoples created a loose confederation and trade among these cultures that is a "country" called Mesoamerica, North America, Central America, and South America.

There was not a country called the United States in North America before its creation by British Colonial subjects.

There were of course stone age level Indian nations (or tribal groupings) living in North America.

But those were not modern Nation States...and they did not conceive of themselves as such.

You were wrong and now you are backtracking...
Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

boognish_bear said:

You like him because he is funding the proxy war in Ukraine.

Other than that he has done bubkis

No reigning in of the FBI and the security state, no border enforcement, no roll back of the DEI and radical leftist polices in the Military.

Just more war and more spending.

Its the same old dance with a new guy calling the same old tune.
Waco1947
Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

They did?

There was not a country called the United States in North America before its creation by British Colonial subjects.

There were of course stone age level Indian nations (or tribal groupings) living in North America.

But those were not modern Nation States...and they did not conceive of themselves as such.

Did you get these semantics from "White History Month'? Yes, they were nations but you cannot force them into a anachronistic definition.

Waco1947
Redbrickbear
Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

They did?

Did you get these semantics from "White History Month'? Yes, they were nations but you cannot force them into a anachronistic definition.

You said....And I quote you

[Waco1947 said:

The Native Americans called and said they built this country way before you arrived]

The United States was NOT built by American Indians nor was in built before the arrival of the British.

PS

Not to mention that nation-states are a modern creation.

There were none in the North America

[nation-states as we know them are a relatively new concept. The "official" creation date for what is considered the modern nation-state is often pinned at the Peace of Westphalia in 1648]

https://madsciblog.tradoc.army.mil/180-the-evolution-of-nation-states-and-their-role-in-the-future/#:~:text=We%20are%20all%20familiar%20with,Peace%20of%20Westphalia%20in%201648.
FLBear5630
BearFan33 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

boognish_bear said:

Sure Johnson is "getting it done" but he is ultimately doing the work of the Democrats. I'd rather vacate and get nothing done rather than the continual bankruptcy of the country. If he is thinking he is building goodwill with democrats that will pay dividends later, then he is really really stupid.

I do believe Trump does support these spending packages. One knock on him is he never seemed to care much about spending either.
At some point it has to become "our" work, not Dems or GOP work. He got Tik-Tok through. Got Ukraine as loans. Would have preferred to do Border on Sat too. I think that is a Dem blunder. Greene and her Cronies are only hurting Johnson's ability, if he had a united GOP that would vote as a block he could force more through. This petty in-fighting is giving the Minority Party more power than they should have because the bottomline is that the Dems can bring more votes to the table, consistently and reliably.
BearFan33
FLBear5630 said:

BearFan33 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

boognish_bear said:

At some point it has to become "our" work, not Dems or GOP work. He got Tik-Tok through. Got Ukraine as loans. Would have preferred to do Border on Sat too. I think that is a Dem blunder. Greene and her Cronies are only hurting Johnson's ability, if he had a united GOP that would vote as a block he could force more through. This petty in-fighting is giving the Minority Party more power than they should have because the bottomline is that the Dems can bring more votes to the table, consistently and reliably.
Dems don't do "our" work. They only do their work or no work at all.

Ukraine as "loans" is a joke. He applied some worthless window dressing and lipstick on a pig. He personally advanced FISA despite obvious abuses.
Sure, he is making the government function but that is leading us rapidly to financial ruin.

No thanks. He is a RINO.
FLBear5630
BearFan33 said:

FLBear5630 said:

BearFan33 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

boognish_bear said:

Ukraine as "loans" is a joke. He applied some worthless window dressing and lipstick on a pig. He personally advanced FISA despite obvious abuses.
Sure, he is making the government function but that is leading us rapidly to financial ruin.

No thanks. He is a RINO.
They are all RINOs after they get in that seat and see the intelligence and get the briefings. That is a coincidence? Johnson has as solid Conservative pedegree and believes as anyone in Congress. He is a RINO.

Ryan, Boehners, Romney, McCain, McCarthy, Haley, and now Johnson all RINOs? Gov's DeSantis, Ducey, Kemp? Mattis and McMasters were soft, globalist? McMasters has a battle strategy from the Gulf War taught a West Point and to US Army tankers from the Battle of 73 Easting on how to take on a superior force (Soft, RINO).

If you count up the number of RINOs in Congress, there are over 180, more than non-RINOs. Maybe the Far Right has left the GOP, not the other way around. Trump/MAGA should start his own Party because if everyone else is a RINO, maybe it is a you problem not their problem.
Waco1947
Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

They did?

[Waco1947 said:

The Native Americans called and said they built this country way before you arrived]

The United States was NOT built by American Indians nor was in built before the arrival of the British.

PS

[nation-states as we know them are a relatively new concept. The "official" creation date for what is considered the modern nation-state is often pinned at the Peace of Westphalia in 1648]

https://madsciblog.tradoc.army.mil/180-the-evolution-of-nation-states-and-their-role-in-the-future/#:~:text=We%20are%20all%20familiar%20with,Peace%20of%20Westphalia%20in%201648.
The Indigenous People built this country and then we or France or England or Spain stole it from them. The Predecessors to the United States as such were Spain, France, and England. Their Predecessors were the Indigenous people of serveral nations like the 13 colonies. You are simply being obtuse
You are simply playing words games.
Waco1947
Redbrickbear
Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

They did?

[Waco1947 said:

PS

The Indigenous People built this country and then we or France or England or Spain stole it from them.
But they didn't...

Or maybe we are using different definition for terms like "built"

Native Indian tribes built no large European style modern cities, no ports, no harbors, no major road networks, no railroads, no centralized governmental administrations or modern bureaucratic government, no centrally controlled national army, no central capital city, no national postal service, etc.

How would you define them "building" the United States of America?
Redbrickbear
FLBear5630 said:

BearFan33 said:

FLBear5630 said:

BearFan33 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

boognish_bear said:

No thanks. He is a RINO.
They are all RINOs after they get in that seat and see the intelligence and get the briefings. That is a coincidence? Johnson has as solid Conservative pedegree and believes as anyone in Congress. He is a RINO.

Ryan, Boehners, Romney, McCain, McCarthy, Haley, and now Johnson all RINOs? Gov's DeSantis, Ducey, Kemp? Mattis and McMasters were soft, globalist? McMasters has a battle strategy from the Gulf War taught a West Point and to US Army tankers from the Battle of 73 Easting on how to take on a superior force (Soft, RINO).

If you count up the number of RINOs in Congress, there are over 180, more than non-RINOs. Maybe the Far Right has left the GOP, not the other way around. Trump/MAGA should start his own Party because if everyone else is a RINO, maybe it is a you problem not their problem.
Well I have always wished we had more than a two party system in the USA.

There are at least 340 million people in the USA spanning a continent and 50 States and several territories...from Maine to the South Pacific.

I don't think we are served well by just having two parties (who had entrenched leadership and funding sources)

We have at least 6-7 major political factions that could be national parties.

Democratic Socialists
Social Democrats
Liberals
Populists
Liberal Conservatives
Conservatives
and Rightwing Populists/Populist Conservative

J.R.
muddybrazos said:

J.R. said:

4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

4th and Inches said:

J.R. said:

The_barBEARian said:

J.R. said:

yes, you didnt?
why?
Mark Cuban is a dooche and he was bragging about how he paid 288 mill in taxes. Of course his was more of a virtue signal about how he's proud to pay all that in taxes.

Different issues. Cubes was drawing the distinction between him payin $270M and your boy the con man paying $750. So that begs the question, fat boy is either cheating or is a horrible businessman which we suspect and he lost his ass!
FLBear5630
We are on the same page. I am thinking with the size, immigration and diversity we are growing into a Parliamentary system.

Now, name a non-socialist Parliamentary Nation?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.