Patriarchy Preserves Christian Families

18,617 Views | 380 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by Redbrickbear
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

His and his partner's is an intersting story. He and his colleague accidentally discovered evidence for the CMB while cleaning their radio telescope dish to get rid of background static. He admits most scientists are not believers in a supernatural power, and recognizes there is no recognizable imprint from a creator. He wants to believe in something, just like so many other people for may personal reasons, to attribute observed order.
He is a Nobel Prize winning physicist who sharply disagrees with your claim that the science points to it being "more likely" that the laws of the universe arose randomly and spontaneously. You assert these qualifiers but you have no scientific basis for it. You are constantly making these kinds of statements only out of faith, which is the irony of ironies in all your posts.

There are many scientists who secretly believe in the supernatural, but fear the repercussions on their career if they reveal it publicly. Regardless, science isn't determined by consensus. The fact that there are many eminent scientists who have made similar statements as Penzias (I've posted them all before) shows that its not a scientific question, rather it is an inference from the data. You can claim that Penzias makes such an inference because he "just wants to believe something" but he can say the exact same thing about you, that you're trying to NOT believe something and that leads to the inference that you're making. You make the inference you make, because that is what you WANT to believe. There is absolutely nothing scientific about it. Say hello to your own religion.
Quantum theory is what makes it plausible, which makes god irrelevant. There is nothing about quantum theory that requires a supernatural element. He is only speculating about what he doesn't understand or know. There is no evidence that requires a supernatural being, and what we don't know about some aspects is simply that, we just don't know as of yet. He simply is attaching the supernatural to the unknown without any evidence. God of the gaps.

Not that many. More likely it is the otherway around. There are anonymous polls of the National Academy of Sciences that reflect their beliefs. What I believe is based upon empircal evidence - not the word of mystics.
Quantum mechanics is the result of, not the progenitor of the physical laws of the universe. You don't even understand the science. You are putting the cart in front of the horse.

We've been through this before. You don't want to learn, you just want to keep repeating defeated arguments over and over again (just like a religious mantra). The only way scientific theorists can explain the origin of our universe, complete with all its physical laws, is to use mathematics that have an infinitie number of solutions, therefore they have to teleologically constrain their equations to fit our universe. I've already shown this in previous threads. What this shows is that there is a higher order outside of our reality that governed this. This is what Arno Penzias called a "supernatural plan".

It's interesting how the flaw in your thinking here is just like the flaw in your thinking about the origins of morality - you base your argument on quantum mechanics, but fail to explain the science that gave rise to the laws which govern quantum mechanics....just like how you start with and base your moral arguments on "harm", but you fail to explain the science by which you determined "harm" to be morally "right". You are starting with base assumptions, and only starting FROM those assumptions you begin your scientific inquiry - and so you claim that scientific reasoning is all you need, while missing the fact that your base assumptions are merely accepted axiomatically and a priori, without any scientific basis. In other words, on faith. So welcome to your own religion
You keep trying to put words in my mouth, that I haven't said. Quantum theory describes the behavior of energy and matter at the atomic or subatomic level.

You don't know what you're talking about. Mathmatics is the language of physics at the quantum level. Quantum theory tells us it is plausible for a spontaneous universe, a universe with the physical properties just like the one we live in. That plausibility makes a higher power irrelevant, and the rest of your so called argument.

I don't think you know or understand what science is. I've explained that a humanistic approach uses reason, rational thought to determine morality. Science is a tool that can be used to assist in that determination. Read up on modern humanism. Your idea of what is moral, right and wrong is based upon primitive mystical beliefs and understandings.
TexasScientist
Porteroso said:

TexasScientist said:

Porteroso said:

I think you have caricatured the Bible in your own mind to the point that you have no idea what it really is. What about the Bible makes you think about atrocity? Probably some backwards law Israel came up with? Please...
The written text. It's the inhumanity and atrocities supposedly comitted against others, while believing it is upon supernatural instructions.

You realize people wrote it right? Why couldn't a few of them have made up instructions from God, and God still be real?
The fact that they made up instructions from god, makes god highly unlikely. Why wouldn't god just make it plain and direct, cutting out the crap? Why does he need an intermediary?
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

This song is as repetitive as a roomful of monks chanting the rosary, and as far as I can tell it's just as much based on faith. If you can prove me wrong, the invitation still stands.

Your position seems to be that society is the ultimate arbiter of good and evil, but sometimes society gets it wrong. How do you explain the apparent contradiction?

Again, reason and intuition are different things. Logical reasoning must follow from a premise. Do you hold that human life is somehow so "sacred" that its value transcends calculations of benefit and harm? If so, why? I've explained why I think humanist philosophers have failed to show a rational basis for their premises. Which ones do you think succeeded, and how?
One is the product of evolutionary psychology, and applying objective and rational reason, and the other is the product of a primitive evolutionary need to place faith in the supernatural for answers.

Ignorance due to misplaced beliefs and /or understanding is an explanation. Society, secular or religious is not free from error.

Benefit and harm are components in determining transcendent value of human life. As is reason, empathy, and a concern for human beings. I agree some have bee flawed, but not more so than religious theologies. Tell me why biblical morality is any better or different than Islamic morality? Why doe Christians pick and choose what they want as is biblically moral, and throw out or ignore what is inconvenient? For instance, do you believe it is moral and just to stone someone for biblical transgressions, or pay a few shekels for violating a father's virgin daughter and then take possession of her to boot?
What makes you think religion isn't a product of evolutionary psychology? What else would it be?

Old Testament laws promoted survival in that time and place. Is it really so shocking that religions evolve, at least within certain parameters?
They both are. I was drawing a distinction and could have made a better explanation.

Never said it was shocking. And, given the ignorance of primitive people, it is not surprising that they would invent solutions and answers for the unknown and frightening. That doesn't excuse them for embracing immoral tenets, and certainly today we wouldn't want to embrace the immorality of the OT. The fact that religons, including Abrahamic, natrually evolve is clear evidence they are not supernatural.
What does it matter if religions aren't supernatural? Your beliefs aren't supernatural either, or so you claim.
It matters because people who believe otherwise, make consequential decisions that are not based upon reality.
You make consequential decisions based on an idea of human worth that exists only in your mind. Again, what's the difference?
An idea of human worth, what is right or wrong, good or bad, founded upon rational thought, reason and empirical evidence.
You haven't demonstrated this.
Any idea of human worth exists only in the mind. How that idea is formulated is what is important.
D. C. Bear
TexasScientist said:

D. C. Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

His and his partner's is an intersting story. He and his colleague accidentally discovered evidence for the CMB while cleaning their radio telescope dish to get rid of background static. He admits most scientists are not believers in a supernatural power, and recognizes there is no recognizable imprint from a creator. He wants to believe in something, just like so many other people for may personal reasons, to attribute observed order.
He is a Nobel Prize winning physicist who sharply disagrees with your claim that the science points to it being "more likely" that the laws of the universe arose randomly and spontaneously. You assert these qualifiers but you have no scientific basis for it. You are constantly making these kinds of statements only out of faith, which is the irony of ironies in all your posts.

There are many scientists who secretly believe in the supernatural, but fear the repercussions on their career if they reveal it publicly. Regardless, science isn't determined by consensus. The fact that there are many eminent scientists who have made similar statements as Penzias (I've posted them all before) shows that its not a scientific question, rather it is an inference from the data. You can claim that Penzias makes such an inference because he "just wants to believe something" but he can say the exact same thing about you, that you're trying to NOT believe something and that leads to the inference that you're making. You make the inference you make, because that is what you WANT to believe. There is absolutely nothing scientific about it. Say hello to your own religion.
Quantum theory is what makes it plausible, which makes god irrelevant. There is nothing about quantum theory that requires a supernatural element. He is only speculating about what he doesn't understand or know. There is no evidence that requires a supernatural being, and what we don't know about some aspects is simply that, we just don't know as of yet. He simply is attaching the supernatural to the unknown without any evidence. God of the gaps.

Not that many. More likely it is the otherway around. There are anonymous polls of the National Academy of Sciences that reflect their beliefs. What I believe is based upon empircal evidence - not the word of mystics.

No, it isn't. You believe that humans have value. There is nothing in empirical evidence to show this is true.
:You're trying to argue with something I haven't said. Emprical evidence is a tool assist rational reason about moral values. People make the determination about morality. How they make that determination is what matters.

You have argued that your morals are based on rational reason and empirical evidence. If you believe that humans have value, and you seem to believe that, then your morals are not based on rational reason and empirical evidence because rational reason and empirical evidence do not and cannot provide a justification for humans having value.
TexasScientist
ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

What is the evolutionary value of not killing off the weak and infirm of a species?

At least we're getting to the crux that matter is beholden to an underlying set of laws of undefinable origin. Is it so far fetched that a similar structure exists for humans? Some of us aren't afraid of science because we believe it helps us understand God better.
That's where your basis for determining what is moral comes into play.

That structure does exist. We live in a universe governed by that structure. I'll agree that science helps us better understand the laws governing us.
Except you're saying evolution and science are your objective drivers of morality. What is the evolutionary and scientific reasoning for not killing off the weak and infirmed?

So who/what gave the laws? Matter isn't self aware so it has been guided since its inception.
I'm saying a humanistic approach to morality uses science as a tool or basis for establishing conclusions or benchmarks upon which humanistic moral judgements can be made. Humans are always the aribitors of morality. What they base their morality upon is what matters - the evidence of reality, or the fallacies of supersticion.

Most likely, the laws that govern this universe came into existence spontaneously with the big bang - but we don't know that, yet. Nothing we have learned about the universe requires anything supernatural for explanation.
Again, what is the scientific conclusion to not kill off the weak and infirmed? Science has no ethos.

And you say there is nothing supernatural except you claiming inanimate matter self directed itself, yet somehow doesn't or can't. What if the laws existed before matter came into existence? Wouldn't that infer the universe was preordained?
Never said science has an ethose. Science can be used in guiding how that ethos is formulated.

It's possible the laws are universal. Preordained to the extent that governing laws under the right conditions require a universe like ours will form.
D. C. Bear
TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

This song is as repetitive as a roomful of monks chanting the rosary, and as far as I can tell it's just as much based on faith. If you can prove me wrong, the invitation still stands.

Your position seems to be that society is the ultimate arbiter of good and evil, but sometimes society gets it wrong. How do you explain the apparent contradiction?

Again, reason and intuition are different things. Logical reasoning must follow from a premise. Do you hold that human life is somehow so "sacred" that its value transcends calculations of benefit and harm? If so, why? I've explained why I think humanist philosophers have failed to show a rational basis for their premises. Which ones do you think succeeded, and how?
One is the product of evolutionary psychology, and applying objective and rational reason, and the other is the product of a primitive evolutionary need to place faith in the supernatural for answers.

Ignorance due to misplaced beliefs and /or understanding is an explanation. Society, secular or religious is not free from error.

Benefit and harm are components in determining transcendent value of human life. As is reason, empathy, and a concern for human beings. I agree some have bee flawed, but not more so than religious theologies. Tell me why biblical morality is any better or different than Islamic morality? Why doe Christians pick and choose what they want as is biblically moral, and throw out or ignore what is inconvenient? For instance, do you believe it is moral and just to stone someone for biblical transgressions, or pay a few shekels for violating a father's virgin daughter and then take possession of her to boot?
What makes you think religion isn't a product of evolutionary psychology? What else would it be?

Old Testament laws promoted survival in that time and place. Is it really so shocking that religions evolve, at least within certain parameters?
They both are. I was drawing a distinction and could have made a better explanation.

Never said it was shocking. And, given the ignorance of primitive people, it is not surprising that they would invent solutions and answers for the unknown and frightening. That doesn't excuse them for embracing immoral tenets, and certainly today we wouldn't want to embrace the immorality of the OT. The fact that religons, including Abrahamic, natrually evolve is clear evidence they are not supernatural.
What does it matter if religions aren't supernatural? Your beliefs aren't supernatural either, or so you claim.
It matters because people who believe otherwise, make consequential decisions that are not based upon reality.
You make consequential decisions based on an idea of human worth that exists only in your mind. Again, what's the difference?
An idea of human worth, what is right or wrong, good or bad, founded upon rational thought, reason and empirical evidence.
You haven't demonstrated this.
Any idea of human worth exists only in the mind. How that idea is formulated is what is important.

You haven't demonstrated this, and you don't argue based on it.
Porteroso
TexasScientist said:

Porteroso said:

TexasScientist said:

Porteroso said:

I think you have caricatured the Bible in your own mind to the point that you have no idea what it really is. What about the Bible makes you think about atrocity? Probably some backwards law Israel came up with? Please...
The written text. It's the inhumanity and atrocities supposedly comitted against others, while believing it is upon supernatural instructions.

You realize people wrote it right? Why couldn't a few of them have made up instructions from God, and God still be real?
The fact that they made up instructions from god, makes god highly unlikely. Why wouldn't god just make it plain and direct, cutting out the crap? Why does he need an intermediary?

Listen to yourself. Why would people try to use religion for personal gain? Is that your question?

Much of what Jesus did in the NT, if you believe any of it is true, is argue against the legalism of the OT and hatred of people who weren't Jews. It isn't clear what was of God in the OT, and what man said God wanted.
Fre3dombear
TexasScientist said:

Porteroso said:

TexasScientist said:

Porteroso said:

Who are we to question how God wants to communicate his live and instruction to us?

Why do you lowercase God when speaking of him as a singular being even as an atheist?

Read up on Pascal
BusyTarpDuster2017
TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Quantum mechanics is the result of, not the progenitor of the physical laws of the universe. You don't even understand the science. You are putting the cart in front of the horse.

We've been through this before. You don't want to learn, you just want to keep repeating defeated arguments over and over again (just like a religious mantra). The only way scientific theorists can explain the origin of our universe, complete with all its physical laws, is to use mathematics that have an infinitie number of solutions, therefore they have to teleologically constrain their equations to fit our universe. I've already shown this in previous threads. What this shows is that there is a higher order outside of our reality that governed this. This is what Arno Penzias called a "supernatural plan".

It's interesting how the flaw in your thinking here is just like the flaw in your thinking about the origins of morality - you base your argument on quantum mechanics, but fail to explain the science that gave rise to the laws which govern quantum mechanics....just like how you start with and base your moral arguments on "harm", but you fail to explain the science by which you determined "harm" to be morally "right". You are starting with base assumptions, and only starting FROM those assumptions you begin your scientific inquiry - and so you claim that scientific reasoning is all you need, while missing the fact that your base assumptions are merely accepted axiomatically and a priori, without any scientific basis. In other words, on faith. So welcome to your own religion
You keep trying to put words in my mouth, that I haven't said. Quantum theory describes the behavior of energy and matter at the atomic or subatomic level.

You don't know what you're talking about. Mathmatics is the language of physics at the quantum level. Quantum theory tells us it is plausible for a spontaneous universe, a universe with the physical properties just like the one we live in. That plausibility makes a higher power irrelevant, and the rest of your so called argument.

I don't think you know or understand what science is. I've explained that a humanistic approach uses reason, rational thought to determine morality. Science is a tool that can be used to assist in that determination. Read up on modern humanism. Your idea of what is moral, right and wrong is based upon primitive mystical beliefs and understandings.
I haven't misrepresented anything. You are trying to use quantum theory to explain the spontaneous origin of our universe, but you are failing to negate the existence of a supernatural order required for physical laws behind quantum theory to exist in the first place. THAT is what science is pointing to, contrary to your claim that it points away from the supernatural.

I know what science is. I will wager ten life savings that I have FAR more scientific education than you, a computer "scientist". YOU are the one who doesn't understand the point. You reject religion as a legitimate starting point of morality, but you are effectively doing the exact same thing by choosing humanism as your starting point. And I don't base my idea of morality on primitive mystical beliefs and understandings, I base them primarily upon a historical event which you yourself have admitted that you can't falsify. And since you can't falsify it, you have no claim to knowing what or what is not "evidence of reality". By denying the history, YOU might be the one who is against "reality" if the history is true, which again, you are unable to falsify. You are operating on the faith that it isn't true.
Redbrickbear
JXL
TexasScientist said:

Porteroso said:

TexasScientist said:

Porteroso said:

Never mind, my comment wasn't as funny as I thought it would be.
Realitybites
Quote:

You are having lunch with Hitler. Convince him that the "final solution" is immoral without using anything from the Old or New Testament (or secular philosophers who have borrowed content from it).
KaiBear
Martin Luther's virulent anti Jewish manuscripts provided the nazis with much of their 'justification' for the Final Solution.

An unpleasant fact of history today's Lutherans have successfully buried .
Redbrickbear
4th and Inches
TexasScientist said:

Porteroso said:

TexasScientist said:

Porteroso said:

“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Redbrickbear
JXL
TexasScientist said:

4th and Inches said:

22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church 30 for we are members of his body. 31 "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh." 32 This is a profound mysterybut I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Sounds pretty equal to me, especially for something written about martial partnership around 2000 years ago
Except for the word "submit" among other things ("respect"??) - 'Respect' here is just another word for submission in this context. What does that mean coming from Paul, an unmarried man who has written other repressive directives toward women, when to speak and remain silent etc. etc.? One would have to question his genuineness. Men are to love their wives, and women only just have to submit to and respect their husbands?

Doesn't it really depend upon which Christian sect you belong to and how they choose to interpret this passage, among all of the others throughout the NT and OT. The OT is a testament to patriarchal misogyny, and abuse of women. Hardly equal, especially when you consider the totality of the OT/NT writings.

Christians pick and choose they how to interpret and what they want to follow in the NT/OT, and ignore or throw out the rest. Their interpretations change with societal changes. All of these books compiling the OT/NT are written by primitive people living in patriarchal misogynistic cultures - hardly a model for cultural norms today.

Pretty awesome that a patriarchal, misogynist culture said that between male and female, "all are one in Christ Jesus," don't you think?
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Redbrickbear
Ginerva Davis has a very interesting review of French writer Emmanuel Todd's book The Lineages of the Feminine in the new issue of American Affairs. It's titled, provocatively, "How Feminism Ends"

Quote:

Todd is a self-described liberal, and supports the right of adults to change their gender and, to the extent it is now medically possible, their sex. But in the places where our current moment is excessive, or historically aberrant, Todd finds an unambiguous common thread: the presence of females.
Females control the universities where such sex-denying work is produced. Females are disproportionately concentrated in the academic fields anthropology, biology, sociology that have most radically changed their ideas on sex and gender (in contrast, history, a more male-dominated field, has stayed largely above the fray). A female sociologist wrote the book about how menopause is a social construct; a different female anthropologist wrote another study Todd cites which argues that females should, actually, have evolved to be taller and stronger than males. (Todd responds that "natural selection is there only to be lamented over.")

Females increasingly control the levers of cultural power; if a topic feels "ideologically central," then it is because females made it so. At the very least, they constitute the majority of reporters who cover health, social issues, and family policy. The "gender ideology" Todd abhors runs through numerous female-dominated professions: it is promoted by journalists, legitimized by doctors, and codified into law by a growing number of female government officials. Todd also finds that it is almost always "mothers" (i.e., female parents) who have the final say over medical treatment for their children. And so while debates about "gender-affirming" care tend to be sex-neutral"parents" making decisions about the bodies of their "children"much of the contemporary "transgender movement" amounts to a trend of older females helping younger ones escape their sex.

The result, Todd argues, is a split consciousness on the status of "women." Males see women everywhere: women police them in HR departments, mock them in the news, and, to add insult to injury, continue to insist that they are members of a protected class.
Females, however, are still haunted by a lack of female "greatness"the same problem posed, seventy-five years ago, by Beauvoir. They work under male bosses. Their countries are run by mostly male leaders. Males continue to define the cutting edge in technology and industry, while females play catch-up in remedial programs ("Women in tech!" "Women in business!"). And even the most liberated female must still take her pills, and count her cycle, and watch her fertility "window" while pretending that she doesn't care. The female condition, one of constant self-monitoring and self-suppression, is now oddly similar to that of the gender-dysphoric, which is perhaps why we females are so obsessed with them (I never felt quite so understood as a female until I read the work of Andrea Long Chu, whom Todd cites as a leading chronicler of the transgender experience). It also seems designed to create a degree of self-loathing: females are constantly set up to compete at tasks at which they are slightly disadvantaged, and are promised a life which, any rational mind will quickly discover, they will never achieve. Social media aside, it is unsurprising that a growing number of women now report that they hate themselves.
Todd argues that the recent wave of Western feminist agitation that we have witnessed in the past decade (#MeToo in America, #BalanceTonPorc in France) is not the result of a massive backslide in female liberation but the oppositeexternal barriers to female equality are falling by the year. Women are waking up to their new condition and finding it a bit upsetting. And they are looking desperately for something, anything, else to blamefemicide in a foreign country, their still-male bosses, and even the word "woman" itself.

Because if this is the end of feminism, then it doesn't quite feel fair. If women are finally "free," then why is it still so hard to be female? And why, after all of our hard work, are the best parts of history still made by males?

In another recent article, Stella Tsantekidou writes on "the desperation of female neediness."

Quote:

Do you know what it's like to be a woman who wants a relationship but can't get one? It is incredibly common and yet hardly acknowledged. Most women I know are well-presented, successful, pleasant, if a little frigid, and looking for a relationship that never seems to arrive. Yet, we are being bombarded by articles written by 30-40-year-old women reassuring the world (themselves?) that being permanently single is fine, actually.

If I had an avocado toast for every time a female friend told me how much she loves dating around, I would be on the housing ladder by now! It's a regular conversation, especially with women who are professionally successful and secure in other ways. They will tell me about their escapades with this or that man and will reassure me that all they want is fun, and they definitely don't care if it leads to something. The other women in the group will nod in agreement and smile reassuringly. Not me. I was raised by an emotionally reactive mother, so when it comes to picking up on other people's emotions, I am like a predator in the jungle. I can see the increased moisture in their eye socket and the exaggerated curve of their smiles. These women suffer from what I call 'sexual revolution Stockholm syndrome' where because they have no choice but to date casually, they have convinced themselves they are having sex without commitment by choice.
This is especially true for women with well-paid, high-flying careers because the ego-bruising of failing to achieve your personal life goals stings so much more when you have mastered control of all the other aspects of your life. Some of the neediest women I know will repeatedly try to convince you they don't need a man.

Regan Arntz-Gray wrote a response to this one, saying:

Quote:

But, most of my close female friends are not really part of the "London/NYC urbanite with a high-status job" set. Nor do they desire to be. And while her piece doesn't reflect my or my close friends' experiences, Stella's depiction of dating as a successful and attractive urban woman is not new to me. I've heard it described before by podcasters and colleagues alike. It could be that large urban centers are particularly bad places to find men who want to commit, which seems plausible (although I found a wonderful one without ever touching a dating app). But it's also plausible that there's something in the way these types of women select men that prevents them from making the deep connections they crave.

I agree that relationship failures can be more anxiety inducing for women as a result of our shortened timeline and quickly closing fertility windows. But I also think much of this can be solved if young women are a little more open to dating mildly older men. Older women on the other hand, I have a lot more sympathy for. Their operational sex ratio gets worse and worse as the men their age are happy to date younger women while they're not interested in dating younger men. And even if they were, these young men are unlikely to be interested in settling down and rushing to produce babies with them before the clock runs out.

The same author also wrote an interesting piece called "You can only get 10% hotter - beauty and it's underappreciated opportunity costs."
I don't have any commentary on these, but just wanted to share these interesting perspectives that these women have on our contemporary world.
Redbrickbear
Realitybites
"Most women I know are well-presented, successful, pleasant, if a little frigid, and looking for a relationship that never seems to arrive."

I wonder if the author realizes that she asked and answered the question in a single sentence.

Oh, and Irish voters voted down the constitutional change that widgetized women. Good for them.
4th and Inches
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Redbrickbear

quash
Realitybites said:

TexasScientist said:

I'm surprised someone with your misogynistic views hasn't converted to Islam.

Acknowledging that there is a natural created order for headship and family stability is not "misogynistic".

Feminism has had disastrous consequences in western society and for the family.

Make up your mind, is it natural or created?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
D. C. Bear
quash said:

Realitybites said:

TexasScientist said:

Acknowledging that there is a natural created order for headship and family stability is not "misogynistic".

Nature is created. (Without regard for this particular question).
Redbrickbear
quash
D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

Realitybites said:

TexasScientist said:

It is demonstrably not

Turtles. Turtles all the way down.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
D. C. Bear
quash said:

D. C. Bear said:

quash said:

Realitybites said:

TexasScientist said:

It is demonstrably not

Turtles. Turtles all the way down.

Sure it is.
Redbrickbear

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.