Does your church have Christian nationalism inclinations?

14,562 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by historian
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Christian nationalism seeks to establish an exclusivist version of Christianity as the dominant moral and cultural order. Christian nationalism overlaps with but is distinct from theonomy, with it being more populist in character. In countries with a state church, Christian nationalists seek to preserve the status of a Christian state by holding an antidisestablishmentarian position to perpetuate the Church in national politics Wikipedia
Theonomy (from Greek theos "God" and nomos "law") is a hypothetical Christian form of government in which society is ruled by divine law. Theonomists hold that divine law, particularly the judicial laws of the Old Testament, should be observed by modern societies
Waco1947 ,la
IowaBear
Clearly this belongs in the football forum
BigGameBaylorBear
Drinking at 10am?
johnnychimpo
The hierarchy of the one I am currently a member of now has a very different organizational structure than the one I grew up in. Bishops and elders have been certainly new to me as "ranked members" within the congregation and staff. The only ones I was familiar with growing up were congregation volunteers, "deacons". That and having the senior pastor sitting on local government BOD's is another bit of "congregation shock".
TechDawgMc
Dude, you threw your bait into the wrong pond.
CaliBear00
Sir, this is a Wendy's.
UTExan
Okay, is it going to be Arminian or Calvinist?
Dispensational Free Will premillennial Rapturist here.
Bear8084
I dunno, I'm more worried about a church's man or zone coverage inclinations myself.
Daveisabovereproach
Dude it's hilarious that you finally started paying for a premium subscription. I guess you needed a wider audience for your left wing propaganda. Also, when you post something that has references, you should probably provide your source. Plagiarism isn't cool
ParadeOfBears
ok.... but bring back Briles.
perrynative
Daveisabovereproach said:

Dude it's hilarious that you finally started paying for a premium subscription. I guess you needed a wider audience for your left wing propaganda. Also, when you post something that has references, you should probably provide your source. Plagiarism isn't cool
Harrison Bergeron
Groomer - no one believes your conspiracy theories, especially when you're a child rapist.
sombear
Waco1947 said:

Christian nationalism seeks to establish an exclusivist version of Christianity as the dominant moral and cultural order.[2] Christian nationalism overlaps with but is distinct from theonomy, with it being more populist in character.[3]: xxi In countries with a state church, Christian nationalists seek to preserve the status of a Christian state by holding an antidisestablishmentarian position to perpetuate the Church in national politics Wikipedia
Theonomy (from Greek theos "God" and nomos "law") is a hypothetical Christian form of government in which society is ruled by divine law.[1] Theonomists hold that divine law, particularly the judicial laws of the Old Testament, should be observed by modern societies
If you can define, without cutting and pasting, exactly what Christian Nationalism is in the United States, then I will answer.

If it is loving and worshipping the God of the Bible, loving my Country, and supporting traditional Judeo Christian values, then, yes, guilty.
BigGameBaylorBear
It's funny how leftists throw "Christian Nationalist" around as an insult or negative term. I am indeed a proud Christian nationalist
KaiBear
BigGameBaylorBear said:

It's funny how leftists throw "Christian Nationalist" around as an insult or negative term. I am indeed a proud Christian nationalist

Our Church is loaded with such people.

Thankfully our priest sets the tone.
Adriacus Peratuun
Waco1947 said:

Christian nationalism seeks to establish an exclusivist version of Christianity as the dominant moral and cultural order.[2] Christian nationalism overlaps with but is distinct from theonomy, with it being more populist in character.[3]: xxi In countries with a state church, Christian nationalists seek to preserve the status of a Christian state by holding an antidisestablishmentarian position to perpetuate the Church in national politics Wikipedia
Theonomy (from Greek theos "God" and nomos "law") is a hypothetical Christian form of government in which society is ruled by divine law.[1] Theonomists hold that divine law, particularly the judicial laws of the Old Testament, should be observed by modern societies
Does your school's sports message board have creatures weirdly obsessed with spewing divisive political blather?

Apparently so.
Nguyen One Soon
At a ripe old age, I think this is the first time I have ever seen "antidisestablishmentarian" used in a sentence.
GrowlTowel
Waco1947 said:

So is this how you can say you are Christian on one hand but perform abortions with the other?
J.R.
perrynative said:

Just stop it with the groomer ***** Grow TFU
whitetrash
J.R. said:

perrynative said:

Just stop it with the groomer ***** Grow TFU

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Waco1947 said:

Allah Akbar, preacherman!!!! Keep spreading the word of the Democrat Party. You just keep doing what you're doing!!!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Harrison Bergeron
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

Allah Akbar, preacherman!!!! Keep spreading the word of the Democrat Party. You just keep doing what you're doing!!!

This old groomer ever get reported for diddling kids? Tins old pheg needs to be in an asylum away from young boys.
Forest Bueller
Waco1947 said:

No not at all. They are really counter culture to that particular movement. The Pastor was a regent and I believe visiting Professor at Truitt and one point. Unfortunately my wife's upbringing as an Independent Fundamental Baptist is starting to take over and she is wanting to leave the church. It is more "liberal" than a Southern Baptist church, it's a Texas Baptist church. They aren't liberal at all just more inclusive than most SBC churches. Zero christian nationalism.
ABC BEAR
I'm looking for a church where they handle snakes at Wednesday night prayer service and throw the folding chairs around when filled with the spirit.

Minus that, I will settle for a church with a real choir singing inspirational hymns before and after a Christ-centered message.
LIB,MR BEARS
ABC BEAR said:

I'm looking for a church where they handle snakes at Wednesday night prayer service and throw the folding chairs around when filled with the spirit.

Minus that, I will settle for a church with a real choir singing inspirational hymns before and after a Christ-centered message.
I'm looking for a church that does potluck on every fourth Sunday rather than every fifth Sunday. I need a stronger commitment.
william
pro ecclesia, pro javelina
Realitybites
Personally, I'm at the point where if a leftist's lips are moving, they are lying.
LIB,MR BEARS
Realitybites said:

Personally, I'm at the point where if a leftist's lips are moving, they are lying.
47 typing with his lips would explain some of the typos
Waco1947
johnnychimpo said:

The hierarchy of the one I am currently a member of now has a very different organizational structure than the one I grew up in. Bishops and elders have been certainly new to me as "ranked members" within the congregation and staff. The only ones I was familiar with growing up were congregation volunteers, "deacons". That and having the senior pastor sitting on local government BOD's is another bit of "congregation shock".
It sounds like a United Methodist
Waco1947 ,la
Waco1947
Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

No not at all. They are really counter culture to that particular movement. The Pastor was a regent and I believe visiting Professor at Truitt and one point. Unfortunately my wife's upbringing as an Independent Fundamental Baptist is starting to take over and she is wanting to leave the church. It is more "liberal" than a Southern Baptist church, it's a Texas Baptist church. They aren't liberal at all just more inclusive than most SBC churches. Zero christian nationalism.
Thank you
Waco1947 ,la
Waco1947
BigGameBaylorBear said:

Tell me more. What does Christian Nationalism mean to you?
Waco1947 ,la
BigGameBaylorBear
"Christian nationalism is a form of religious nationalism that is affiliated with Christianity. It primarily focuses on the internal politics of society, such as legislating civil and criminal laws that reflect its adherents' view of Christianity and the role of religion in political and social life." -Wikipedia

Something along these lines
Waco1947
sombear said:

Waco1947 said:

If you can define, without cutting and pasting, exactly what Christian Nationalism is in the United States, then I will answer.

If it is loving and worshipping the God of the Bible, loving my Country, and supporting traditional Judeo Christian values, then, yes, guilty.
Good question:

Christian Nationalism insists the USA is a Christian nation and the Founding Father meant it to be.
Christian Nationalism insists on putting the 10 commandments on school walls.
Christian Nationalism insists that abortion regardless of health circumstances is wrong. They project their dogma that life begins at conception
Christian Nationalism insists on Christian symbols (crosses, Nativities, etc) government public spaces.
Christian Nationalism post signs - God Guns Trump.
Politics is preached from the pulpit from preachers and congregations are told who to vote for.

I suppose this a good start.
Waco1947 ,la
Waco1947
BigGameBaylorBear said:

"Christian nationalism is a form of religious nationalism that is affiliated with Christianity. It primarily focuses on the internal politics of society, such as legislating civil and criminal laws that reflect its adherents' view of Christianity and the role of religion in political and social life." -Wikipedia

Something along these lines
That's a milder form of Christian Nationalism. Do you believe C N is a threat to democracy? and why or why not?
Waco1947 ,la
Wangchung
Please, oh please, dearest baby killing, queer promoting degenerate, won't you teach us about Christianity!
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.