Does your church have Christian nationalism inclinations?

14,485 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by historian
Harrison Bergeron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This thread is the paragon of what the Democrats continue to do and Republicans continue to fall into the same trap. The Democrats continue to make up straw men bogeymen and argue against that, and Republicans continue to acknowledge it.

There is no "Christian Nationalism."
There is no "THREAT TO DEMOCRACY."
There are no women dying of "back alley abortions."
There are no "losing our rights" (unless you believe in free speech)
There is not "Project 2025" (not in the way they describe it)
4th and Inches
Mothra said:

BUDOS said:

I don't deny that I don't like Trump; however my "emotions " are based on learning about him, listening to him, watching him and reading about him since about 2010. Therefore I don't agree that I am illogical.
Likewise, you have multiple posts that are articulate and, at times presented in a manner that causes me to think and even shift my thinking a bit.
We are not going to change stances on Trump; however, on other issues it has.
Fair enough. I disdain Trump personally and quite frankly, am probably not far off from you in that regard. But I would submit that the appropriate course of action for anyone with any semblance of a conservative mindset is to vote on policy instead of personality. That is the only logical recourse when you have two candidates who are as diametrically opposed on the issues, and both are pretty despicable in their personal lives.

That is why I try to talk sense to my conservative friends who have pledged to support Kamala because of their disdain for Trump. They're cutting off their noses to spit their faces.
sorry, not a single "conservative" person who pledged to vote for Harris is thinking straight or a conservative.. period

Dont like Trump, sit out the election. Actively voting for all the policies you claim to be against is insanity..
Adopt-a-Bear 2024

#90 COOPER LANZ ( DL )
CLASS Junior
HT/WT 6' 3", 288 lbs

#50 KAIAN ROBERTS-DAY ( DL )
CLASS Sophomore
HT/WT 6' 3", 273 lbs
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Harrison Bergeron said:

This thread is the paragon of what the Democrats continue to do and Republicans continue to fall into the same trap. The Democrats continue to make up straw men bogeymen and argue against that, and Republicans continue to acknowledge it.

Yep, some on here are actually asking the libs genuine questions as if they will answer. Even Sam tried to create a NEW unsubstantiated bogeyman. They won't answer because it's just nonsense, the hysterics are exactly that.
Redbrickbear
KaiBear said:

BUDOS said:

I don't deny that I don't like Trump; however my "emotions " are based on learning about him, listening to him, watching him and reading about him since about 2010. Therefore I don't agree that I am illogical.
Likewise, you have multiple posts that are articulate and, at times presented in a manner that causes me to think and even shift my thinking a bit.

Throughout US history there have been many flawed presidents.

LBJ, Nixon, Clinton, Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Joe Biden, JFK, Grant and Trump all come to mind.

And several noble presidents such as Jimmy Carter , Washington, Monroe, Polk, and Taft.

But all that effects you, me and our country is their POLICIES.

And Harris's policies are no different than Biden's. So if you wish for continued inflation, millions of illegals flooding into our country , fentanyl continuing to kill over 100,000 Americans annually and a host of woke agendas …..

By all means vote for Harris. Although I sincerely see zero evidence of any ethical or moral superiority in the gal.

One of the unsung great hero Presidents of all time.

And modern liberal America pays him back by ignoring him or tearing his name off high schools....

https://edsource.org/updates/fresno-school-district-removes-name-of-former-president-polk-from-school
Redbrickbear
KaiBear
Redbrickbear said:

KaiBear said:

BUDOS said:

LBJ, Nixon, Clinton, Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Joe Biden, JFK, Grant and Trump all come to mind.

And several noble presidents such as Jimmy Carter , Washington, Monroe, Polk, and Taft.

And Harris's policies are no different than Biden's. So if you wish for continued inflation, millions of illegals flooding into our country , fentanyl continuing to kill over 100,000 Americans annually and a host of woke agendas …..

By all means vote for Harris. Although I sincerely see zero evidence of any ethical or moral superiority in the gal.

And modern liberal America pays him back by ignoring him or tearing his name off high schools....

https://edsource.org/updates/fresno-school-district-removes-name-of-former-president-polk-from-school

Totally 100% agree

Polk accomplished more than any one term president in US history.

Have never understood why he doesn't get better press.

Can only guess it was because he was a southerner.

Believe it or not I named a street after Polk in the first subdivision my partnership ever developed.

Of course I named the main street after Reagan !
Redbrickbear
KaiBear said:

Redbrickbear said:

KaiBear said:

BUDOS said:

Totally 100% agree

Believe it or not I named a street after Polk in the first subdivision my partnership ever developed.

He made war against a non-approved Liberal enemy.

He took land and fought brown people....not a good look by modern progressive standards.
KaiBear
Redbrickbear said:

KaiBear said:

Redbrickbear said:

KaiBear said:

BUDOS said:

Totally 100% agree

He took land and fought brown people....not a good look by modern progressive standards.

Before the Mexican - American war began many European military advisors thought Mexico would win easily.

Strange how many US historians belittle possibly our greatest feat of military prowess.

Especially as our troops were almost always heavily outnumbered.
Redbrickbear
KaiBear said:

Redbrickbear said:

KaiBear said:

Redbrickbear said:

KaiBear said:

BUDOS said:

Totally 100% agree

Before the Mexican - American war began many European military advisors thought Mexico would win easily.

Strange how many US historians belittle possibly our greatest feat of military prowess.

Especially as our troops were almost always heavily outnumbered.

Its a politically incorrect and inconvenient victory
Sam Lowry
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Yep, some on here are actually asking the libs genuine questions as if they will answer. Even Sam tried to create a NEW unsubstantiated bogeyman. They won't answer because it's just nonsense, the hysterics are exactly that.
If you had genuine questions, you could google them. I'm just waiting for y'all to catch up so we can discuss.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

If you had genuine questions, you could google them. I'm just waiting for y'all to catch up so we can discuss.

You and W47 inventing your own bogeyman because of your TDS. Your input in this thread has been a clown show of "the sky is falling".

Like what's it feel like knowing that you have TDS while also knowing that your arguments are just silly and baseless, while also knowing that you can't help yourself, you're compelled to misdirect because of your TDS? The endless loop of TDS hysterics, lies, compelled action, back to hysterics. The cycle never ends. Seems like you'd eventually figure out that you need to deprogram yourself.
Sam Lowry

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

You and W47 inventing your own bogeyman because of your TDS. Your input in this thread has been a clown show of "the sky is falling".

Like what's it feel like knowing that you have TDS while also knowing that your arguments are just silly and baseless, while also knowing that you can't help yourself, you're compelled to misdirect because of your TDS? The endless loop of TDS hysterics, lies, compelled action, back to hysterics. The cycle never ends. Seems like you'd eventually figure out that you need to deprogram yourself.
I don't think I've even expressed an opinion, except that Christian nationalism does exist. You're the one going hysterical about it. 47 asked whether anyone's church tended that way, and the response has been loud and clear: we don't know and we don't want to know.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Nope, the "we weren't actually saying that it's a problem" misdirect doesn't work. Trying to reinforce and give the impression that your bogeyman is influential and relevant, you know that's BS, so we're just here to remind you that you and he are full of it.
Sam Lowry

Nope, the "we weren't actually saying that it's a problem" misdirect doesn't work. Trying to reinforce and give the impression that your bogeyman is influential and relevant, you know that's BS, so we're just here to remind you that you and he are full of it.

That's why there's no point in arguing about it. Your mind is already made up. It is true, by the way, that much of what the Left calls Christian nationalism is just part of our political tradition. It's also true that real Christian nationalism helped fuel the J6 riot, but you're not going to acknowledge that regardless of the evidence.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Sam Lowry said:

That's why there's no point in arguing about it. Your mind is already made up. It is true, by the way, that much of what the Left calls Christian nationalism is just part of our political tradition. It's also true that real Christian nationalism helped fuel the J6 riot, but you're not going to acknowledge that regardless of the evidence.

We're not arguing because you present only hysterics. You have provided zero actual evidence. You bought a narrative from the media that you just can't reasonably back up, so now you try to nuance your way into a slightly different "reasonable" position that sounds plausible to you. You think putting a word like "partly" in front of "responsibile" makes your argument reasonable. It doesn't. You're selling garbage and you're pretending it's a main course.

You're broken, TDS has severed your logic. Nuance isn't getting you out of owning your falsehoods.
Harrison Bergeron
Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Whatever mask-boy.

KaiBear
Sam Lowry said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

I don't think I've even expressed an opinion, except that Christian nationalism does exist.

If I remember correctly, you are Catholic.

Is there rampant 'Christian Nationalism' exhibited where you regularly attend Mass ?
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

How's the water in your end of the bat**** crazy spectrum?
Mothra
Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Whatever mask-boy.

Pin-cushion might be more apropos.
sombear
Sam Lowry said:

But what is your definition? And, you say "it exists." I won't argue that because just about every kind of person one could think of "exists." The question is, how prevalent do you believe it is according to your definition?

I've spent a fair amount of time googling the issue as you suggest, and I see everything from "A patriotic Christian" to "Christians who think only Christians should be in government and/or our laws should be based on the Bible."

And the reason many of us are "defensive" about it is that the characterization has become part of the left's and the media's everyday lexicon. I'm a Christian (first and foremost) and conservative (mostly) who loves the U.S. According to many, that alone means I'm a dangerous Christian Nationalist.
Sam Lowry
sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

But what is your definition? And, you say "it exists." I won't argue that because just about every kind of person one could think of "exists." The question is, how prevalent do you believe it is according to your definition?

I've spent a fair amount of time googling the issue as you suggest, and I see everything from "A patriotic Christian" to "Christians who think only Christians should be in government and/or our laws should be based on the Bible."

And the reason many of us are "defensive" about it is that the characterization has become part of the left's and the media's everyday lexicon. I'm a Christian (first and foremost) and conservative (mostly) who loves the U.S. According to many, that alone means I'm a dangerous Christian Nationalist.

Political terms are slippery. I've been called everything from a radical leftist to a Christo-fascist. I'm neither, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

In my view, Christian nationalists want to privilege Christianity over other religions (for example Mike Flynn saying that one nation implies one religion). They also tend to privilege private revelation over reason and the law (for example Eric Metaxas saying that when God gives you a vision, you don't need to know anything else).

I found the following article informative:

Quote:

What I Saw At The Jericho March
MAGA at prayer event a shocking display of apocalyptic faith and politics -- and religious decadence
by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/what-i-saw-at-the-jericho-march/
KaiBear
Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Political terms are slippery. I've been called everything from a radical leftist to a Christo-fascist. I'm neither, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

In my view, Christian nationalists want to privilege Christianity over other religions (for example Mike Flynn saying that one nation implies one religion). They also tend to privilege private revelation over reason and the law (for example Eric Metaxas saying that when God gives you a vision, you don't need to know anything else).

Quote:

MAGA at prayer event a shocking display of apocalyptic faith and politics -- and religious decadence
by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

2nd try

Seem to recall you declaring you're Catholic.

If so do you see CN where you regularly attend Mass ?

If so in what form ?
sombear
Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

Yeah, that is nutty.

But, I've been a conservative and evangelical most of my life (I'm 55) and had never heard of the Jericho March until this post. I just tried researching it but didn't find much, and it appears to have been sparsely attended.

And I've never met anyone who shares the views described in the article. Literally not one person.

So, yes, that group is nuts, and I don't care what you call them, Christian Nationalist or other. It's a fringe group. We have fringe groups of all kinds.

But the way the label is thrown around, it clearly is meant to cover far more folks than these.
Sam Lowry
KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

2nd try

If so in what form ?

No, I don't see it.
Sam Lowry
sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

Yeah, that is nutty.

But, I've been a conservative and evangelical most of my life (I'm 55) and had never heard of the Jericho March until this post. I just tried researching it but didn't find much, and it appears to have been sparsely attended.

And I've never met anyone who shares the views described in the article. Literally not one person.

So, yes, that group is nuts, and I don't care what you call them, Christian Nationalist or other. It's a fringe group. We have fringe groups of all kinds.

But the way the label is thrown around, it clearly is meant to cover far more folks than these.
Metaxas and Flynn are well known and respected among evangelicals. Flynn even served as an advisor to President Trump. They and others played a key role in creating the mythology behind the J6 insurrection. I admire Metaxas in many ways (he's a friend of a friend). I was shocked by some of the things he said. But no one can deny that he's a prominent figure.
Doc Holliday
Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

You need to start thinking about who has power and money and fit that into your equation.

Realistically there's no threat of Christian nationalism because its the boogeyman of most media, there's no real money behind it and where it exists its astronomically small.

However, the radical left has billions of dollars behind it through DEI, most universities along with media and entertainment are deeply cultured for the advancement of radical leftism. Younger generations overwhelmingly support it, so when boomers die out it will be imbedded in everything.

Its more the case where being a Christian in the future might get you cancelled from society. If you're a Christian you should know this is coming.
sombear
Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

Yeah, that is nutty.

Metaxas and Flynn are well known and respected among evangelicals. Flynn even served as an advisor to President Trump. They and others played a key role in creating the mythology behind the J6 insurrection. I admire Metaxas in many ways (he's a friend of a friend). I was shocked by some of the things he said. But no one can deny that he's a prominent figure.
I'd never heard of Metaxas until your post.

Nobody knew how extreme Flynn was until after he served.
Sam Lowry
Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

You need to start thinking about who has power and money and fit that into your equation.

Realistically there's no threat of Christian nationalism because its the boogeyman of most media, there's no real money behind it and where it exists its astronomically small.

However, the radical left has billions of dollars behind it through DEI, most universities along with media and entertainment are deeply cultured for the advancement of radical leftism. Younger generations overwhelmingly support it, so when boomers die out it will be imbedded in everything.

It's more the case where being a Christian in the future might get you cancelled from society. If you're a Christian you should know this is coming.
This is similar to the woke argument that only whites can be racist because they have the money and the power. I'm well aware of the anti-Christian bigotry on the left. It doesn't change the fact that dangerous ideas also exist and have increasing influence on the right.
Sam Lowry
sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

Yeah, that is nutty.

Indeed, and it's not as if evangelicals denounced Flynn when he revealed his extremism. On the contrary it's part of what propelled him to rock star status.
sombear
Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

Yeah, that is nutty.

Indeed, and it's not as if evangelicals denounced Flynn when he revealed his extremism. On the contrary it's part of what propelled him to rock star status.
Is he really a rock star? I mean, a lot folks thought he got screwed by the FBI. But is he influential? And, if he is, is it b/c he's a Trump supporter who was wrongly indicted? Or is it his extremist views? I say the former, even assuming he has a significant following.

I really believe you're talking a very small % of conservative Christians. And again, call them what you want, but don't pretend that's your typical Republican Christian.
Sam Lowry
sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

Yeah, that is nutty.

Is he really a rock star? I mean, a lot folks thought he got screwed by the FBI. But is he influential? And, if he is, is it b/c he's a Trump supporter who was wrongly indicted? Or is it his extremist views? I say the former, even assuming he has a significant following.

I really believe you're talking a very small % of conservative Christians. And again, call them what you want, but don't pretend that's your typical Republican Christian.
I'm not saying it is. Your typical Democrat isn't a Marxian critical theorist, either. But like anyone else they will vote for their party and find a way to justify it. Ideas have consequences. History teaches that it's a grave mistake to ignore the influence of the passionate minority. Our own revolutionary war was supported by a minority of the colonists. The basic sentiments of a person like Metaxas, for example that evidence doesn't matter when you're on a righteous mission, are shared by many if not most on this board. Whether they share a detailed theological framework doesn't necessarily matter. When ideology resonates with people's grievances, it's more than capable of evolving and spreading even in simplified form.
KaiBear
Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

2nd try

If so in what form ?

No, I don't see it.

Neither do I.
Sam Lowry
KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

2nd try

If so in what form ?

No, I don't see it.

Neither do I.
It's more of an evangelical or fundamentalist phenomenon. I can't say my church is completely immune to it, though. Catholicism has never been wedded to democracy. There is some sympathy with the anti-democratic feelings of the Protestant political right even if the theology is different.
LIB,MR BEARS
If you call abortion a moral issue, gay marriage a moral issue, transgender a moral issue, then I guess the RCC is apolitical.

Somehow those moral issues end up as speaking points for politicians. Odd.

In other news, Walmart has a lot of mirrors on sale this week.

Sam Lowry
LIB,MR BEARS said:

If you call abortion a moral issue, gay marriage a moral issue, transgender a moral issue, then I guess the RCC is apolitical.

Somehow those moral issues end up as speaking points for politicians. Odd.

In other news, Walmart has a lot of mirrors on sale this week.

All churches are politically involved and always have been, whether black, white, liberal, or conservative. The question is whether religion drives politics or the other way around.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.