Does your church have Christian nationalism inclinations?

14,434 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by historian
GrowlTowel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The honest question would be which is worse, Liberal Nationalism or Christian Nationalism?

One has and continues to butcher millions upon millions of people. Enslave millions and millions of people. And destroy millions upon millions of lives.

But hey, they will vote for their Giggles.
Sam Lowry
sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Some day there will be a comprehensive study on this, and it will overwhelmingly prove that the religious left when compared to the dreaded white evangelical:

- is far more politically active
- is far more politically homogenous
- expressly ties its political positions
- talks politics more from the pulpit
- demonizes its opponent to a greater extent
- believes our government should be patterned of its beliefs
- is far less likely to associate with people with opposing political/religious views

There are already pieces of this kind of this kind of study, and the results are unsurprising.
So what?
Ironically, I agree with you. It's just that only white evangelicals draw the ire (real or fake) of those lamenting the toxic blend of religion and politics.
I don't think those points define Christian nationalism. Churches have always been politically active, etc.
Sam Lowry
KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

historian said:

Nowadays "Christian Nationalism" is a Leftist dog whistle providing them a way to attack Christian's in general.
That's often true, and as we can see, it plays into the hand of Christian nationalists by giving them a great excuse to deny and divert.

With respect…..you say that so easily.

But as we discussed earlier, neither of us have personally experienced such 'nationalism'.
I've experienced it, just not in my own church. It's more of a Protestant thing.

This is new.

If not in your own Church, where did you personally experience 'Christian Nationalism' and what specifically was said or done that alarms you ?
I know people who think gays should be put to death. Many, many people who think we should support Israel unconditionally because the Bible says so.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

Nope, the "we weren't actually saying that it's a problem" misdirect doesn't work. Trying to reinforce and give the impression that your bogeyman is influential and relevant, you know that's BS, so we're just here to remind you that you and he are full of it.

That's why there's no point in arguing about it. Your mind is already made up. It is true, by the way, that much of what the Left calls Christian nationalism is just part of our political tradition. It's also true that real Christian nationalism helped fuel the J6 riot, but you're not going to acknowledge that regardless of the evidence.
But what is your definition? And, you say "it exists." I won't argue that because just about every kind of person one could think of "exists." The question is, how prevalent do you believe it is according to your definition?

I've spent a fair amount of time googling the issue as you suggest, and I see everything from "A patriotic Christian" to "Christians who think only Christians should be in government and/or our laws should be based on the Bible."

And the reason many of us are "defensive" about it is that the characterization has become part of the left's and the media's everyday lexicon. I'm a Christian (first and foremost) and conservative (mostly) who loves the U.S. According to many, that alone means I'm a dangerous Christian Nationalist.

Political terms are slippery. I've been called everything from a radical leftist to a Christo-fascist. I'm neither, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

In my view, Christian nationalists want to privilege Christianity over other religions (for example Mike Flynn saying that one nation implies one religion). They also tend to privilege private revelation over reason and the law (for example Eric Metaxas saying that when God gives you a vision, you don't need to know anything else).

I found the following article informative:

Quote:

What I Saw At The Jericho March
MAGA at prayer event a shocking display of apocalyptic faith and politics -- and religious decadence
by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/what-i-saw-at-the-jericho-march/

2nd try

Seem to recall you declaring you're Catholic.

If so do you see CN where you regularly attend Mass ?

If so in what form ?

No, I don't see it.

Neither do I.
There is some sympathy with the anti-democratic feelings of the Protestant political right even if the theology is different.
Gotta say, the fact you think that the Protestant right is "anti-Democratic" is pretty hilarious. Who knows, maybe that's a part of your anti-Christian Catholic propaganda.

I mean, you're the same poster who gave full-throated support to lockdowns across the country, preventing people from attending their places of worship or their jobs, govt.-enforced vaccine mandates, and a ministry of truth to monitor (and censor) free speech.

Think there is a big a projection here. Your positions on those subjects are about as anti-democratic and authoritarian as they come.
You misrepresent my positions, as usual. I questioned the basis for concluding that the "disinformation board" was unconstitutional, and I never got an answer. My position on lockdowns was based on uncontroversial interpretation of state law.
These are half-truths at best. You also expressed support for the disinformation board, citing what you believed to be rampant disinformation as the need for it. And the idea that the lockdowns you proposed weren't "uncontroversial" is disingenuous at best. You wanted to go much further than what many of the states had done, saying they didn't go far enough. And I noticed you didn't dispute you supported enforcement of the vaccine mandates.

As I suggested, you're an authoritarian who has supported anti-democratic positions. For you to be complaining about evangelicals being anti-democratic - a subject you seem to know nothing about - is the height of irony.
Wrong.
LIB,MR BEARS
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Nope, the "we weren't actually saying that it's a problem" misdirect doesn't work. Trying to reinforce and give the impression that your bogeyman is influential and relevant, you know that's BS, so we're just here to remind you that you and he are full of it.

That's why there's no point in arguing about it. Your mind is already made up. It is true, by the way, that much of what the Left calls Christian nationalism is just part of our political tradition. It's also true that real Christian nationalism helped fuel the J6 riot, but you're not going to acknowledge that regardless of the evidence.
But what is your definition? And, you say "it exists." I won't argue that because just about every kind of person one could think of "exists." The question is, how prevalent do you believe it is according to your definition?

I've spent a fair amount of time googling the issue as you suggest, and I see everything from "A patriotic Christian" to "Christians who think only Christians should be in government and/or our laws should be based on the Bible."

And the reason many of us are "defensive" about it is that the characterization has become part of the left's and the media's everyday lexicon. I'm a Christian (first and foremost) and conservative (mostly) who loves the U.S. According to many, that alone means I'm a dangerous Christian Nationalist.

Political terms are slippery. I've been called everything from a radical leftist to a Christo-fascist. I'm neither, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

In my view, Christian nationalists want to privilege Christianity over other religions (for example Mike Flynn saying that one nation implies one religion). They also tend to privilege private revelation over reason and the law (for example Eric Metaxas saying that when God gives you a vision, you don't need to know anything else).

Quote:

MAGA at prayer event a shocking display of apocalyptic faith and politics -- and religious decadence
by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

2nd try

If so in what form ?

No, I don't see it.

Neither do I.
There is some sympathy with the anti-democratic feelings of the Protestant political right even if the theology is different.
Gotta say, the fact you think that the Protestant right is "anti-Democratic" is pretty hilarious. Who knows, maybe that's a part of your anti-Christian Catholic propaganda.

I mean, you're the same poster who gave full-throated support to lockdowns across the country, preventing people from attending their places of worship or their jobs, govt.-enforced vaccine mandates, and a ministry of truth to monitor (and censor) free speech.

Think there is a big a projection here. Your positions on those subjects are about as anti-democratic and authoritarian as they come.
You misrepresent my positions, as usual. I questioned the basis for concluding that the "disinformation board" was unconstitutional, and I never got an answer. My position on lockdowns was based on uncontroversial interpretation of state law.
These are half-truths at best. You also expressed support for the disinformation board, citing what you believed to be rampant disinformation as the need for it. And the idea that the lockdowns you proposed weren't "uncontroversial" is disingenuous at best. You wanted to go much further than what many of the states had done, saying they didn't go far enough. And I noticed you didn't dispute you supported enforcement of the vaccine mandates.

As I suggested, you're an authoritarian who has supported anti-democratic positions. For you to be complaining about evangelicals being anti-democratic - a subject you seem to know nothing about - is the height of irony.
Wrong.

Wrong is the new debunked
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

2nd try

If so in what form ?

No, I don't see it.

Neither do I.

Wrong.
I certainly understand why you're denying it, given your hypocrisy. You're a liar.
Mothra
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

2nd try

If so in what form ?

No, I don't see it.

Neither do I.

Wrong.

He can't present facts to debunk my position, so this is all he is left with. He regularly denies the bull**** he says on these boards.

He's one of the board's biggest liars.
KaiBear
Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

historian said:

Nowadays "Christian Nationalism" is a Leftist dog whistle providing them a way to attack Christian's in general.
That's often true, and as we can see, it plays into the hand of Christian nationalists by giving them a great excuse to deny and divert.

But as we discussed earlier, neither of us have personally experienced such 'nationalism'.
I've experienced it, just not in my own church. It's more of a Protestant thing.

This is new.

If not in your own Church, where did you personally experience 'Christian Nationalism' and what specifically was said or done that alarms you ?
I know people who think gays should be put to death. Many, many people who think we should support Israel unconditionally because the Bible says so.

Interesting

I have never met a single individual anywhere, much less in Church, that believes homosexuals should be executed.

Exactly where did you meet such people and what prompted them to say such a thing to you ?
LIB,MR BEARS
KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

historian said:

This is new.

Interesting

I have never met a single individual anywhere, much less in Church, that believes homosexuals should be executed.

Exactly where did you meet such people and what prompted them to say such a thing to you ?

Do imaginary friends count?
Waco1947
KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

historian said:

This is new.

Interesting

Many Evangelicals think unrepentant gays for sin of being gay are going to hell. That's an execution, of sorts.
Waco1947 ,la
GrowlTowel
Waco1947 said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

historian said:

This is new.

Interesting

Many Evangelicals think unrepentant gays for sin of being gay are going to hell. That's an execution, of sorts.

They are.
KaiBear
Waco1947 said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

historian said:

This is new.

Interesting

No, an execution is something totally different.

Again, I have never heard ANYONE, much less in a Church, call for the executive of homosexuals.
LIB,MR BEARS
Waco1947 said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

historian said:

This is new.

Interesting

isn't that more of a suicide than hell?

I thought you didn't believe in hell so wouldn't that be a moot point?
Harrison Bergeron
Waco1947 said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

historian said:

This is new.

Interesting

Old Groomer has made a lot of crazy posts ... this might actually be the craziest.
Sam Lowry
KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

historian said:

This is new.

Interesting

I'd rather not go into more detail since they are dear, old family friends. I grew up around a lot of evangelicals even though we were Catholic. They are good people. Some of them also have some strange ideas.
Sam Lowry
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

2nd try

If so in what form ?

No, I don't see it.

Neither do I.

Wrong.

The new "not wasting my time" is what it is.
LIB,MR BEARS
Sam Lowry said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quote:

by Rod Dreher
Dec. 12, 2020

2nd try

If so in what form ?

No, I don't see it.

Neither do I.

Wrong.

The new "not wasting my time" is what it is.
and yet, you did.
historian
Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Sam Lowry said:

sombear said:

Some day there will be a comprehensive study on this, and it will overwhelmingly prove that the religious left when compared to the dreaded white evangelical:

- is far more politically active
- is far more politically homogenous
- expressly ties its political positions
- talks politics more from the pulpit
- demonizes its opponent to a greater extent
- believes our government should be patterned of its beliefs
- is far less likely to associate with people with opposing political/religious views

There are already pieces of this kind of this kind of study, and the results are unsurprising.
So what?
Ironically, I agree with you. It's just that only white evangelicals draw the ire (real or fake) of those lamenting the toxic blend of religion and politics.
I don't think those points define Christian nationalism. Churches have always been politically active, etc.

Good point. The best examples are the abolitionists & the Civil Rights movement t but there are many others.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
Waco1947 said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

KaiBear said:

Sam Lowry said:

historian said:

This is new.

Interesting

That is a totally different thing and you know it. Unrepentant sinners will go to hell. That's the way it works. Thankfully, God provided an escape through Jesus Christ.

Stating basic facts of the Christian faith is not the same thing as wanting someone dead. In fact, it's just the opposite.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.