Why do you pray?

3,823 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LIB,MR BEARS
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To pile up prayers at the throne of grace?
To show your faith?
To change God's heart?
If God is all powerful do the prayers make a difference?
GrowlTowel
To speak with my God.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
El Oso
I guess when you grow up doing it 5-10 times a day everyday--old habits die hard.

It doesn't work.

Let me amend that. It only works in the mind of the prayer--and if that's enough to get you through whatever you need it to get you through--then good for you.
TexasScientist
People pray hoping for supernatural intervention or influence over events or circumstances over which they have little or no control. The efficacy of prayer is psychological only.
jstins
El Oso said:

I guess when you grow up doing it 5-10 times a day everyday--old habits die hard.

It doesn't work.

Let me amend that. It only works in the mind of the prayer--and if that's enough to get you through whatever you need it to get you through--then good for you.
God always answers all prayers. The answer may not be what you want it to be, but the answer will always glorify or strengthen HIS kingdom.
El Oso
jstins said:

El Oso said:

It doesn't work.

God always answers all prayers. The answer may not be what you want it to be, but the answer will always glorify or strengthen HIS kingdom.
See right there is the game. It's built in. God can't lose when the system is rigged no matter what.
Keyser Soze
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:6-7

Honestly, human frailty and insecurity are likely the main reasons for most if they are honest - but I think God is OK with that
jstins
El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

It doesn't work.

See right there is the game. It's built in. God can't lose when the system is rigged no matter what.
It isn't about winning and losing. God doesn't play games.

Don't worry El. God is too loving to force you into his presence for eternity against your wishes.
El Oso
jstins said:

El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

It doesn't work.

Don't worry El. God is too loving to force you into his presence for eternity against your wishes.
Oh but it is--if I don't follow the rules--I lose my chance at eternity.

Let me ask you a serious, off topic question: when you die--where do you go? Are you immediately called up to heaven or do you have to linger in the ground for the rapture?
Keyser Soze
El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

It doesn't work.

Let me ask you a serious, off topic question: when you die--where do you go? Are you immediately called up to heaven or do you have to linger in the ground for the rapture?
Grace is your friend

jstins
El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

It doesn't work.

Again, God will not force you to be with him for eternity. There are no rules to follow. You simply have to decide that you want to spend eternity with God.

I do not know if I go straight there or not. I also don't care. It doesn't matter to me at all because I get to spen eternity with my FATHER. Humans care about time and space. When I die, I leave humanity behind and things like time no longer apply.
GoneGirl
For my children and my wife.
Golem
TexasScientist said:

People pray hoping for supernatural intervention or influence over events or circumstances over which they have little or no control. The efficacy of prayer is psychological only.
No. Many of us pray simply to thank God for any number of wonderful things we see and experience throughout the day. I stop and thank God for a sunset or my kids' smiles or a cool breeze. Pretty much anything man didn't/couldn't make. I pray most often because I am grateful. The second most common prayer for me is for forgiveness. Third is likely patience and ability to accept things I can't change. None of those things require supernatural intervention, except what was a priori...but some do require faith.

Quote:

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." -1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Do we also pray for intervention? Yes, of course we do. But it's hardly the bulk of prayers for most of us, just like the bulk of conversations you have with your mother or father here on earth probably aren't about asking them for money (unless you are the kind of guy who lives in their basement.)

Prayer is about relationship. It's about expressing thanks, offering apologies, asking questions and just sitting with or listening to the other party, far more than it is about endless requests for some kind of intervention. The notion that God is some kind of Genie there to grant wishes (or He is evil for not doing so) is nonsense and the root of much of the misconceptions about religion.

Try being grateful to God without asking for anything but perhaps forgiveness. Give it a week. You will find you are far less self-centered and much happier. You aren't an accident of chance. You are fearfully and wonderfully made.

Quote:

Psalms 139: 13-16 "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance (; GOLEM); in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

TexasScientist
jstins said:

El Oso said:

It doesn't work.

Where is your evidence of this extraordinary claim?
TexasScientist
El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

It doesn't work.

The rapture is just a made up concept by some in order to reconcile the contradictions about death and the resurrection. If you are a Catholic, you believe you go to Pugatory, unless you have some folks left behind who are willing to give money to the Church for a priest to pray you out.
TexasScientist
jstins said:

El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

It doesn't work.

Again, God will not force you to be with him for eternity. There are no rules to follow. You simply have to decide that you want to spend eternity with God.

I do not know if I go straight there or not. I also don't care. It doesn't matter to me at all because I get to spen eternity with my FATHER. Humans care about time and space. When I die, I leave humanity behind and things like time no longer apply.

Quote:

When I die, I leave humanity behind and things like time no longer apply.
You got that part right. Make your mark for good while you can, because our time is limited.
TexasScientist
GolemIII said:

TexasScientist said:

No. Many of us pray simply to thank God for any number of wonderful things we see and experience throughout the day. I stop and thank God for a sunset or my kids' smiles or a cool breeze. Pretty much anything man didn't/couldn't make. I pray most often because I am grateful. The second most common prayer for me is for forgiveness. Third is likely patience and ability to accept things I can't change. None of those things require supernatural intervention, except what was a priori...but some do require faith.

Quote:

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." -1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Do we also pray for intervention? Yes, of course we do. But it's hardly the bulk of prayers for most of us, just like the bulk of conversations you have with your mother or father here on earth probably aren't about asking them for money (unless you are the kind of guy who lives in their basement.)

Prayer is about relationship. It's about expressing thanks, offering apologies, asking questions and just sitting with or listening to the other party, far more than it is about endless requests for some kind of intervention. The notion that God is some kind of Genie there to grant wishes (or He is evil for not doing so) is nonsense and the root of much of the misconceptions about religion.

Try being grateful to God without asking for anything but perhaps forgiveness. Give it a week. You will find you are far less self-centered and much happier. You aren't an accident of chance. You are fearfully and wonderfully made.

Quote:

Psalms 139: 13-16 "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance (; GOLEM); in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

Yes there are other reasons people pray. I wasn't intending my comment to be all inclusive. However, the efficacy of all prayer is psychological.
Golem
TexasScientist said:

GolemIII said:

TexasScientist said:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes there are other reasons people pray. I wasn't intending my comment to be all inclusive. However, the efficacy of all prayer is psychological.

Then it's certainly interesting that we are designed to desire it and utilize it as a critical aspect of wellbeing. For every desire, there is a way to fulfill that desire. For hunger, food; for thirst, drink; for sex, a spouse; for warmth, fire...for God, Prayer. Prayer meets a real need. Evolutionary biologists have tried to explain it away as spandrels or even a 'God gene', but the reality is that the positive effects of prayer are as real as food, water, sex and Fire.

People often dismiss God for the same reasons they attribute the desire of others for religion...psychological cover. They claim a strength they rarely if ever possess and attempt to prove it by claiming not to need a higher power. They never see that they are projecting and they are rarely as truly happy and emotionally stable as their 'benignly' religious counterparts (excluding those who worship explosives).
cinque
TexasScientist said:

As a scientist, you understand there's no way you could know that. The best you can do is believe it.
jstins
TexasScientist said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

It doesn't work.

I have already given an example of evidence. My evidence has been replicated millions of times all over the world.

Where is your evidence for dark matter?
jstins
TexasScientist said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

It doesn't work.

Quote:

You got that part right. Make your mark for good while you can, because our time is limited.
What is "good"?
TexasScientist
cinque said:

TexasScientist said:

As a scientist. You understand there's no way you could know that. The best you can do is believe it.
Which is more logical? Belief in something for which there is no objective empirical evidence, or disbelief in something for which there is no objective empirical evidence.
TexasScientist
jstins said:

TexasScientist said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

It doesn't work.

Quote:

What is "good"?
noun
[ol]
1. that which is morally right; righteousness."a mysterious balance of good and evil"synonyms:virtue, righteousness, goodness, morality, integrity, rectitude[/ol][ol]
2. benefit or advantage to someone or something."he convinces his father to use his genius for the good of mankind"synonyms:benefit, advantage, profit, gain, interest, welfare, well-being[/ol]
jstins
TexasScientist said:

jstins said:

TexasScientist said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

It doesn't work.

Quote:

What is "good"?
noun
[ol]
1. that which is morally right; righteousness."a mysterious balance of good and evil"synonyms:virtue, righteousness, goodness, morality, integrity, rectitude[/ol][ol]
2. benefit or advantage to someone or something."he convinces his father to use his genius for the good of mankind"synonyms:benefit, advantage, profit, gain, interest, welfare, well-being[/ol]
What it "morally right"?
cinque
TexasScientist said:

cinque said:

TexasScientist said:

As a scientist. You understand there's no way you could know that. The best you can do is believe it.
Which is more logical? Belief in something for which there is no objective empirical evidence, or disbelief in something for which there is no objective empirical evidence.

You agree there's no way you can know with the radical certainty science requires how efficacious or unavailing prayer really is? Don't you?
GoneGirl
GrowlTowel said:

To speak with my God.
So you're talking to yourself?
Coke Bear
TexasScientist said:

The rapture is just a made up concept by some in order to reconcile the contradictions about death and the resurrection. If you are a Catholic, you believe you go to Pugatory, unless you have some folks left behind who are willing to give money to the Church for a priest to pray you out.

TS - You are finally at least half right about a religious concept - The "Rapture" is a made up Fundamentalist concept in the 1800's based on misinterpretations of scripture. Here is a link to some different understandings and the Catholic view of the end of times.

Purgatory - Your comment represents a common misunderstanding/insult about Catholicism's doctrine of Purgatory. We are called to pray for the dead; therefore, Catholics will ask that a memorial Mass be said for someone who has passed away. This can be a daily mass or Sunday mass. Essentially, the priest says the mass "for this person". He's performs mass everyday, even if the mass is for person or just the parishioners as a whole. It is customary to pay the priest a stipend for this. The stipend is capped at $5. He is allowed one per day. No priest is getting rich on $5/day.

It's a false concept to say that a link the monies paid to the direct release of one's soul.
Canada2017
I pray to give thanks for the many blessings God has granted me and my family . We have had a few miracles come our way over the years . Most likely due to my wife.

JXL
Here's a study on the efficacy of prayer from the Indian Journal of Psychiatry, off the website of the National Institute for Health:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2802370/
TexasScientist
jstins said:

TexasScientist said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

It doesn't work.

I have already given an example of evidence. My evidence has been replicated millions of times all over the world.

Where is your evidence for dark matter?
I guess I missed your posted evidence. Please redirect me.

Observed structures formed within the universe are more advanced than would be without the gravitational effects dark matter.
Optical observations of X-ray emission and gravitational lensing in colliding galaxies indicates the presence of dark matter.
Rotation velocity of stars near the center to the outer edges of galaxies are essentially constant.
The amount of baryonic matter observed in the universe is not sufficient to account for the observed effects of gravity.
Observations of dense regions in the Cosmic Microwave Background indicates the presence of dark matter.

Evidence of dark matter is observed. Evidence for answered prayer is anecdotal.
TexasScientist
jstins said:

TexasScientist said:

jstins said:

TexasScientist said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

jstins said:

El Oso said:

It doesn't work.

Quote:

What is "good"?
noun
[ol]
What it "morally right"?
1. The quality of being in accord with standards of right or good conduct.
2. A system or collection of ideas of right and wrong conduct
3. Virtuous conduct:
1. conformity to the rules of right conduct; moral or virtuous conduct.
2. moral quality or character
BaylorBJM
Great post Golem. Much needed.
cinque
Canada2017 said:

I pray to give thanks for the many blessings God has granted me and my family . We have had a few miracles come our way over the years . Most likely due to my wife.

In the Catholic tradition, acts of contrition are normally included in prayer.
GrowlTowel
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Coke Bear
GolemIII said:

People often dismiss God for the same reasons they attribute the desire of others for religion...psychological cover. They claim a strength they rarely if ever possess and attempt to prove it by claiming not to need a higher power. They never see that they are projecting and they are rarely as truly happy and emotionally stable as their 'benignly' religious counterparts (excluding those who worship explosives).

It's interesting that you post this ... I was just listening to a podcast featuring Dr. Paul Vitz. He wsa discussing his book, Faith of the Fatherless: The Psychology of Atheism. He discusses how the "great" atheists like Nietzsche, Freud, Hitchens, Dawkins, etc. all had great disappointment in the father whether it was caused by absence or abuse.

His contention is that those men without a positive, earthly fatherly figure are more apt to reject our Heavenly Father.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.