Waco Horror - 100 years later

13,752 Views | 162 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by quash
cowboycwr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
pitchman seems to have disappeared when asked a question
Florda_mike
cowboycwr said:

pitchman seems to have disappeared when asked a question

Can't "pitch" the conversation his way, huh?
Sam Lowry
Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

I Repent for my black brothers and sisters because the sins of the father are visited upon the their sons and their sons' sons. (Biblical). Repent means to head in a new direction away from hate and racism. There is still much work to do.
For what are you repenting? What did your father do?

You're not dense. "The sins of the fathers" is a biblical phrase that means we (sons and daughters) cannot escape the brutal history of our forefathers.
Each generation must repent for whatever legacy we brought forward from our fathers.
Read some MLK it will do your heart some good.
What did your parents do? For what are you repenting?
. You're being dense. I'm not answering again. It's a damn metaphor. But with regards to the lynching they weren't born yet.
You're being dense.

You are repenting for your black brothers? For what? What did you do? What did your parents do? Is there a statute of limitations? Decades? Centuries? Millenia? Eternity?

I'm listening
I am repenting TO my black brothers. I bought into the racism as a child of the south that's what's I did. No statue of limitations. Is there one for Holocaust? Did you hang Jesus on the cross? Did your parents? Then why repent?
What about your white brothers and sisters, who you've said don't deserve empathy and can't be the victims of racism? When will you repent from judging them?
Justin Kates
Never heard of this story before reading it today. Terrible.

Quote:

The centennial is not meant to reopen old racial wounds or cast blame on anyone now living, said Peaches Henry, a McLennan Community College assistant English professor and president of the Waco NAACP. Rather, it's an opportunity to bring whites and blacks together to reflect on a difficult shared history.

"Here's the importance of history: It allows us to remind ourselves of both the good and the bad, and then to correct our course," she said.

Is historical perspective like this not applicable to confederate monuments too? I think they can also remind us of the good and the bad and allow us to correct our course.
-Justin Kates
Waco1947
I'm white. Are you obtuse?
Waco1947
7yrbear said:

Quote:

The centennial is not meant to reopen old racial wounds or cast blame on anyone now living, said Peaches Henry, a McLennan Community College assistant English professor and president of the Waco NAACP. Rather, it's an opportunity to bring whites and blacks together to reflect on a difficult shared history.

"Here's the importance of history: It allows us to remind ourselves of both the good and the bad, and then to correct our course," she said.

Is historical perspective like this not applicable to confederate monuments too? I think they can also remind us of the good and the bad and allow us to correct our course.
No, confederate generals are to blacks as Nazi generals are to Jews.
quash
Waco1947 said:

7yrbear said:

Quote:

Symbols can carry more than one meaning.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Justin Kates
Waco1947 said:

7yrbear said:

Quote:

In other words, do as I say, not as I do.
-Justin Kates
Florda_mike
Waco1947 said:

7yrbear said:

Quote:

^^^ You're exactly right on something finally Waco

The problem for you on this is the Confederate Generals were Democrats trying to keep the blacks in their places or kill them if they tried to sign up and vote Republican! Your Democrat "Generals" still do it today except for the killing of blacks
cowboycwr
Florda_mike said:

Waco1947 said:

7yrbear said:

Quote:

^^^ You're exactly right on something finally Waco

The problem for you on this is the Confederate Generals were Democrats trying to keep the blacks in their places or kill them if they tried to sign up and vote Republican! Your Democrat "Generals" still do it today except for the killing of blacks
The only difference is that there are plenty of German Generals in WW2 that were not Nazis and really had very small roles in the Holocaust. Jews can still recognize their military smarts though without celebrating them.

For example- Rommel. Most people can recognize he was a brilliant military mind, was not a nazi, even went against Hitler and did not favor the "final solution"

I could list numerous other examples of German Generals who were military/Germany first and Hitler/Nazis were not their beliefs.
Waco1947
quash said:

Waco1947 said:

7yrbear said:

Quote:

True but I'm not following you. I think my analogy holds.
Waco1947
FM who tells you to blurt our silliness like this "^^^ You're exactly right on something finally Waco

The problem for you on this is the Confederate Generals were Democrats trying to keep the blacks in their places or kill them if they tried to sign up and vote Republican! Your Democrat "Generals" still do it today except for the killing of blacks."
It's a stupid argument. See Tommies quote.
Sam Lowry
Waco1947 said:

quash said:

Waco1947 said:

7yrbear said:

Quote:

The analogy is vile in every sense of the word.
Waco1947
Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

Waco1947 said:

7yrbear said:

Quote:

The analogy is vile in every sense of the word.
Of course it's vile. Slaves were treated in humanely and lynched and whipped. Jews were gassed. It's vile. Why put up statues honoring those who committed vile acts?
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

FM who tells you to blurt our silliness like this "^^^ You're exactly right on something finally Waco

The problem for you on this is the Confederate Generals were Democrats trying to keep the blacks in their places or kill them if they tried to sign up and vote Republican! Your Democrat "Generals" still do it today except for the killing of blacks."
The dems still kill lots of blacks. see planned parenthood.
Waco1947
cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

No women are in charge of their bodies without GOP intrusion and these women make their own decisions. The GOP apparently can't stay out women's decisions about their bodies.
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

No women are in charge of their bodies without GOP intrusion and these women make their own decisions. The GOP apparently can't stay out women's decisions about their bodies.
UMMM Yes. Look up who started PP, where it started, etc.
Florda_mike
cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

UMMM Yes. Look up who started PP, where it started, etc.

No way 47 will do that

His eyes are closed to truth just like Cinque
MrGolfguy
What do the citizens of Waco owe Lucy Fryer's descendants? Several of Fryer's relatives still live in the Robinson area. Where will the Lucy Fryer Memorial go? Would you want a memorial in your hometown to the man that raped and murdered your relative?
quash
MrGolfguy said:

What do the citizens of Waco owe Lucy Fryer's descendants? Several of Fryer's relatives still live in the Robinson area. Where will the Lucy Fryer Memorial go? Would you want a memorial in your hometown to the man that raped and murdered your relative?

Apples and oranges.
Apple is 1500 people cheering as a crime is committed, strictly racial.
Orange is one guy committing a crime with no crowd.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Florda_mike
quash said:

MrGolfguy said:

Apples and oranges.

Apple = murder

Apple = murder

There were 2 murders, the second one because the first one it appears today.

That doesn't make her murder apples and oranges does it?
quash
Florda_mike said:

quash said:

MrGolfguy said:

Apples and oranges.

Apple = murder

Apple = murder

You would absolve the crowd?
Florda_mike
quash said:

Florda_mike said:

quash said:

MrGolfguy said:

Apples and oranges.

Apple = murder

Apple = murder

Id neither absolve the crowd nor the person that murdered wife, and equally so. A murder is a murder whether done by many or by one, 2 people died. Fact is if she'd not died then both would have lived on

Apples to apples again

He's got a point. If there's a memorial to one the descendants of the wife that was murdered are correct in asking for a memorial to her if they wish

That's all
quash
Florda_mike said:

quash said:

Florda_mike said:

quash said:

MrGolfguy said:

Apples and oranges.

Apple = murder

Apple = murder

Id neither absolve the crowd nor the person that murdered wife, and equally so. A murder is a murder whether done by many or by one, 2 people died. Fact is if she'd not died then both would have lived on

Apples to apples again

He's got a point. If there's a memorial to one the descendants of the wife that was murdered are correct in asking for a memorial to her if they wish

That's all
You could have done that with 14 words.
MrGolfguy
There is 0% chance a lynching like this will happen again, whether or not there is a memorial to Jesse Washington erected.
quash
MrGolfguy said:

There is 0% chance a lynching like this will happen again, whether or not there is a memorial to Jesse Washington erected.

Memorial. It's about remembering, not deterrence.
MrGolfguy
A memorial is not necessary to remember; its been over 100 years and its obviously still remembered.
quash
MrGolfguy said:

A memorial is not necessary to remember; its been over 100 years and its obviously still remembered.
And just as obviously unknown.

A memorial reminds us of our history. That's why I oppose the wholesale removal of Confederate monuments.

What about this memorial do you object to?
MrGolfguy
1. The pro-memorial people keep saying we need it to remember, so we won't forget and repeat the past. As i've stated - 0% chance of happening.
2. It would be a memorial to a man that raped and murdered someone.
bubbadog
MrGolfguy said:

1. The pro-memorial people keep saying we need it to remember, so we won't forget and repeat the past. As i've stated - 0% chance of happening.
I haven't heard any pro-memorial people saying we need it to avoid repeating the past.
quash
MrGolfguy said:

OK, I see where you're coming from now. You think what is being memorialized is a murderer. I think the memorial is about lynching, race, and the community support involved.
MrGolfguy
I've seen it several times; local news stories, newspaper articles

MrGolfguy
quash said:

MrGolfguy said:

You think what is being memorialized is a murderer.
To me the 'Jesse Washington Memorial' is memorializing Jesse Washington.
Florda_mike
MrGolfguy said:

quash said:

MrGolfguy said:

But it would be soooo PC!
bubbadog
MrGolfguy said:

quash said:

MrGolfguy said:

There were 14 or 15 other lynchings in McLennan County. Jesse Washington's may have been the most heinous, but it was only one.

The community memorial made available by the Equal Justice Initiative (and that I hope Waco will claim) bears the names of all of the documented victims of extrajudicial lynchings in the county.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.