Waco Horror - 100 years later

13,583 Views | 162 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by quash
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MrGolfguy said:

1. The pro-memorial people keep saying we need it to remember, so we won't forget and repeat the past. As i've stated - 0% chance of happening.
2. It would be a memorial to a man that raped and murdered someone.
. He could also be innocent. He never got full due process. And I remember a case in Vidor (?) about a black man being drug to death. Just a different of lynching. It happens. And a OU frat sang about on a bus. Yes we need to remember.
quash
Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

This was something Waco publicly celebrated, which is why Waco needs to publicly un-celebrate it and not just dismiss it as something that happened 100 years ago.
What should Waco do? What should people who moved to Waco 10 years ago do to uncelebrate what Wacoans did 100 years ago?
Should it be a yearly uncelebration? If someone lived in Waco for two years and moved, does the stain follow them wherever they live?

http://www.cilice.co.uk/hairshirts.html

As one who moved back three years ago I'd say erase the community stain with a community acknowledgement. One block apart, at 5th and Austin and 4th and Austin, are an historical marker and a monument to the tornado. A short block up 4th is an historical marker about the Brann shooting. Some type of public recognition of Waco history would end the whitewashing of a hundred years.
There is a memorial of some sort on the ground floor of the courthouse. I believe there was some ceremony when it was dedicated.

I can't find it unless you mean the mural that includes "the hanging tree".
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Florda_mike
Waco1947 said:

MrGolfguy said:

1. The pro-memorial people keep saying we need it to remember, so we won't forget and repeat the past. As i've stated - 0% chance of happening.
. He could also be innocent. He never got full due process. And I remember a case in Vidor (?) about a black man being drug to death. Just a different of lynching. It happens. And a OU frat sang about on a bus. Yes we need to remember.

As usual your lying azz is tying together unrelated events

SOS with your dumazz
cowboycwr
quash said:

MrGolfguy said:

OK, I see where you're coming from now. You think what is being memorialized is a murderer. I think the memorial is about lynching, race, and the community support involved.
Do you not see the hypocrisy of this compared to say the same Confederate Generals mentioned?

Or other historical figures? Like Washington, Jefferson, Adams, etc

There are people who want to remove them from building names, place names, statues, etc because they were not PC enough and were sexist, supported slavery, didn't do enough to stop it, didn't support gays, etc and then you support putting up a memorial for a guy that maybe raped and murdered someone?

Florda_mike
cowboycwr said:

quash said:

MrGolfguy said:

OK, I see where you're coming from now. You think what is being memorialized is a murderer. I think the memorial is about lynching, race, and the community support involved.
Do you not see the hypocrisy of this compared to say the same Confederate Generals mentioned?

There are people who want to remove them from building names, place names, statues, etc because they were not PC enough and were sexist, supported slavery, didn't do enough to stop it, didn't support gays, etc and then you support putting up a memorial for a guy that maybe raped and murdered someone?

Of course they do

These are same people that never mention any remorse when cops are murdered

Ends justify means with this group of yo-yos
quash
cowboycwr said:

quash said:

MrGolfguy said:

I already mentioned Confederate memorials. And quote me where I said the memorial was to a murderer.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Osodecentx
quash said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

This was something Waco publicly celebrated, which is why Waco needs to publicly un-celebrate it and not just dismiss it as something that happened 100 years ago.
What should Waco do? What should people who moved to Waco 10 years ago do to uncelebrate what Wacoans did 100 years ago?
Should it be a yearly uncelebration? If someone lived in Waco for two years and moved, does the stain follow them wherever they live?

As one who moved back three years ago I'd say erase the community stain with a community acknowledgement. One block apart, at 5th and Austin and 4th and Austin, are an historical marker and a monument to the tornado. A short block up 4th is an historical marker about the Brann shooting. Some type of public recognition of Waco history would end the whitewashing of a hundred years.
There is a memorial of some sort on the ground floor of the courthouse. I believe there was some ceremony when it was dedicated.

County commissioners' resolution on a podium close to the mural

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/commissioners-approve-display-of-resolution-denouncing-lynchings/article_ba51aa26-4ed5-548d-bfe7-0bc609aef620.html

cowboycwr
quash said:

cowboycwr said:

quash said:

MrGolfguy said:

I already mentioned Confederate memorials. And quote me where I said the memorial was to a murderer.

If it is a memorial to Jesse Washington that is exactly what it would be.
Waco1947
The confederate memorials to be removed are not for "pc" reasons. They are being removed for the reminder of the pain those confederate leaders inflicted. It hurts black folk to think that you venerate a man who fought for an evil cause.
Sam Lowry
Waco1947 said:

The confederate memorials to be removed are not for "pc" reasons. They are being removed for the reminder of the pain those confederate leaders inflicted. It hurts black folk to think that you venerate a man who fought for an evil cause.
They're being removed for the same reasons that statues of priests are being defaced and even memorials to the Founders are coming under criticism. Primarily those reasons are anti-white and anti-religious bigotry.
quash
cowboycwr said:

quash said:

cowboycwr said:

quash said:

MrGolfguy said:

If. Isn't.
quash
Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/commissioners-approve-display-of-resolution-denouncing-lynchings/article_ba51aa26-4ed5-548d-bfe7-0bc609aef620.html

So the podium I walked around while looking at the four murals and again to get down the hall with the display case?

Jebus.
Florda_mike
cowboycwr said:

quash said:

cowboycwr said:

quash said:

MrGolfguy said:

That's what democrats do

Criminals are their heroes

Cop attackers are heroes if a cop has to kill the sob in self defense
Osodecentx
quash said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

So the podium I walked around while looking at the four murals and again to get down the hall with the display case?

Jebus.
I guess. You don't sound impressed
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

I never said they were. I was referring to the others who people want to erase from history and remove from buildings, colleges, etc. But you would have to have reading comprehension to have gotten that.
quash
Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Osodecentx said:

bubbadog said:

Jebus.
I guess. You don't sound impressed

No, I'm saying I missed it.
Waco1947
cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

I never said they were. I was referring to the others who people want to erase from history and remove from buildings, colleges, etc. But you would have to have reading comprehension to have gotten that.
"Erase history?" How does does taken down a statute erase history?
Waco1947
Cowboy my apologies if I misunderstood your comment about pc. "There are people who want to remove them from building names, place names, statues, etc because they were not PC enough and were sexist, supported slavery, didn't do enough to stop it, didn't support gays, etc and then you support putting up a memorial for a guy that maybe raped and murdered someone?"
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

"Erase history?" How does does taken down a statute erase history?

Dude seriously. Reading comprehension.

I am not talking about the confederate statues.

I am talking about people who want to remove other individuals names from colleges, buildings, etc because of that persons views on various issues.

You are hopeless you're a one trick pony and even that trick is no good.
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

Cowboy my apologies if I misunderstood your comment about pc. "There are people who want to remove them from building names, place names, statues, etc because they were not PC enough and were sexist, supported slavery, didn't do enough to stop it, didn't support gays, etc and then you support putting up a memorial for a guy that maybe raped and murdered someone?"

Yes you did.

I was talking about the removal of names/ individuals because people want to apply modern day standards and then call a historical figure sexist, racist, anti gay, etc.

For example a group of students at Princeton wanted to remove Woodrow wilson's name from a building.
Waco1947
Again my apologies if I misunderstood. But erasing history is not related to statues. There are no statues of Cortez in Mexico but he is not forgotten. No statues of Hitler and he is not forgotten.
I suppose every statue of Jesus (which are really someone's imagination) could be removed and he would not be forgotten. But maybe I am misunderstanding the phrase "Erased from history."
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

Again my apologies if I misunderstood. But erasing history is not related to statues. There are no statues of Cortez in Mexico but he is not forgotten. No statues of Hitler and he is not forgotten.
I suppose every statue of Jesus (which are really someone's imagination) could be removed and he would not be forgotten. But maybe I am misunderstanding the phrase "Erased from history."

You are focusing on statues when I'm not even talking about statues.
lrwells50
Waco1947 said:

I know I'm going to regret posting on this thread, but tough if it hurts black folks to see confederate statues. It happened, we have to live with it. I have no problem at all with an anti-lynching statue, and it makes a hell of a lot more sense than paying to store a bunch of statues of Confederate generals somewhere.

And think about this, what if women decided we needed to take down all of the statues of people who believed women didn't have the right to make decisions, own land, vote? You're heading down a slippery slope.
cowboycwr
lrwells50 said:

Waco1947 said:

I know I'm going to regret posting on this thread, but tough if it hurts black folks to see confederate statues. It happened, we have to live with it. I have no problem at all with an anti-lynching statue, and it makes a hell of a lot more sense than paying to store a bunch of statues of Confederate generals somewhere.

And think about this, what if women decided we needed to take down all of the statues of people who believed women didn't have the right to make decisions, own land, vote? You're heading down a slippery slope.

Your second paragraph is what I'm referring to. People already want to do that because historical figures felt the way you described, didn't support gays, didn't do enough to end segregation, slavery, etc
Waco1947
cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

Again my humble apologies. What are talking about? Erasing history?
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

I've already explained it several times in the posts above. Go read them again.
Waco1947
cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

My apologies but it is difficult to page through 4 pages on my iPhone. Can you summarize please? Thank you
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Waco1947 said:

My apologies but it is difficult to page through 4 pages on my iPhone. Can you summarize please? Thank you

They are all on the 4th page.
Waco1947
Canada2017 said:

He's self 'medicating ' .
Xanax is wonderful but it is legal.
Waco1947
Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

I Repent for my black brothers and sisters because the sins of the father are visited upon the their sons and their sons' sons. (Biblical). Repent means to head in a new direction away from hate and racism. There is still much work to do.
For what are you repenting? What did your father do?

You're not dense. "The sins of the fathers" is a biblical phrase that means we (sons and daughters) cannot escape the brutal history of our forefathers.
Each generation must repent for whatever legacy we brought forward from our fathers.
Read some MLK it will do your heart some good.
What did your parents do? For what are you repenting?
. You're being dense. I'm not answering again. It's a damn metaphor. But with regards to the lynching they weren't born yet.
You're being dense.

You are repenting for your black brothers? For what? What did you do? What did your parents do? Is there a statute of limitations? Decades? Centuries? Millenia? Eternity?

I'm listening
I was born to racist cultural in Waco Tx. This lynching was not taught in Texas History in 1960. I repent for the racism in my my own soul, in the soul of Smerivs through slavery, I repent for that this historical perspective was not taught in WISD in the 50s and 60s, I repent for for our fore fathers not facing down the issue at the Constitutional convention, I repent that this cowardice keeps being repeated even unto to day, I repent that I have not spoken longer, earlier and harder against this terrorism. I repent that that I didn't fight harder for true history in my children's history textbooks book in the 80s. I repent for my nation because I am citizen with a vote and did not stand strong enough for justice. I am only answer for myself and my repentance. You're responsible for yourself if you want change.
Osodecentx
Me too

Since I am responsible for myself, I'm ok.

You feel things much more intensely than I. Since I did not lynch anyone, my forefathers didn't own slaves and I don't discriminate on the basis of race, I feel fine

Not trying to diminish your feelings or convictions, I just don't share them
Waco1947
Osodecentx said:

Me too

You feel things much more intensely than I. Since I did not lynch anyone, my forefathers didn't own slaves and I don't discriminate on the basis of race, I feel fine
Then go ahead and feel fine. That's your conscience. I hate the hurt that I see in my black brothers and sisters eyes as they are treated disrespectfully daily for their skin color. I know because I visit with them. It's an important conversation.
For example I checked in for a CAT Scan. I asked the black finance gal "My I ask a race question. I don't expect you to answer for all blacks people but just yourself. Do you hear the n word still?" "Yes but it's more attitude." "Me : "How do?"
"Service personnel attitude or clients simply tossing or throwing things across the table worth any respect that I'm human."
Me: "I had hoped it was stopped." Her: "it hasn't but guys like you fighting the good fight it helps. Thank you."
You may be terrific in your race relations. The next level is helping others. That's my witness and. Way. The Finance gal said "Thank you being honest and fighting. Bless you ."
Humble brag. Sure. But it the way forward.
Waco1947
Osodecentx
Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Me too

Then go ahead and feel fine. That's your conscience. I hate the hurt that I see in my black brothers and sisters eyes as they are treated disrespectfully daily for their skin color. I know because I visit with them. It's an important conversation.
For example I checked in for a CAT Scan. I asked the black finance gal "My I ask a race question. I don't expect you to answer for all blacks people but just yourself. Do you hear the n word still?" "Yes but it's more attitude." "Me : "How do?"
"Service personnel attitude or clients simply tossing or throwing things across the table worth any respect that I'm human."
Me: "I had hoped it was stopped." Her: "it hasn't but guys like you fighting the good fight it helps. Thank you."
You may be terrific in your race relations. The next level is helping others. That's my witness and. Way. The Finance gal said "Thank you being honest and fighting. Bless you ."
My college roommate was black. We are good friends. And many other interracial relationships.

Why am I trying to prove myself to an anonymous poster dealing with his guilt? I wish you well. God speed
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

I Repent for my black brothers and sisters because the sins of the father are visited upon the their sons and their sons' sons. (Biblical). Repent means to head in a new direction away from hate and racism. There is still much work to do.
For what are you repenting? What did your father do?

You're not dense. "The sins of the fathers" is a biblical phrase that means we (sons and daughters) cannot escape the brutal history of our forefathers.
Each generation must repent for whatever legacy we brought forward from our fathers.
Read some MLK it will do your heart some good.
What did your parents do? For what are you repenting?
. You're being dense. I'm not answering again. It's a damn metaphor. But with regards to the lynching they weren't born yet.
You're being dense.

You are repenting for your black brothers? For what? What did you do? What did your parents do? Is there a statute of limitations? Decades? Centuries? Millenia? Eternity?

I'm listening
I was born to racist cultural in Waco Tx. This lynching was not taught in Texas History in 1960. I repent for the racism in my my own soul, in the soul of Smerivs through slavery, I repent for that this historical perspective was not taught in WISD in the 50s and 60s, I repent for for our fore fathers not facing down the issue at the Constitutional convention, I repent that this cowardice keeps being repeated even unto to day, I repent that I have not spoken longer, earlier and harder against this terrorism. I repent that that I didn't fight harder for true history in my children's history textbooks book in the 80s. I repent for my nation because I am citizen with a vote and did not stand strong enough for justice. I am only answer for myself and my repentance. You're responsible for yourself if you want change.

There are a lot of events not taught in history in k-12. Most of that is not any reason other than the ages k-12 are about learning the basics of history. It is hard to teach every event in Texas history in one year when most don't even know the basic facts. Same for US history, world, etc.
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Me too

Cool story bro. But it proves nothing about this privilege you keep speaking of.

For the N word to stop, blacks must stop using it in music, how they call each other, movies, etc.

The term is so thrown around today in general settings by teens it is nothing more than the "dude" or "Bro" of earlier times.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.