Culture & Society in 2018....

68,402 Views | 791 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by quash
BrooksBearLives
How long do you want to ignore this user?
riflebear said:

Did you fact-check this? Or did you just accept it at face-value and scramble over here to share your outrage?
GrowlTowel
Better question . . . Did you? I note the lack of any citations to the contrary.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
riflebear
BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

Did you fact-check this? Or did you just accept it at face-value and scramble over here to share your outrage?

You should be asking yourself unless you are still whiping egg off your face that you can't type Google.com. There are only 100+ articles about the Supreme Court ruling in Germany.
riflebear
Florda_mike
riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

You should be asking yourself unless you are still whiping egg off your face that you can't type Google.com. There are only 100+ articles about the Supreme Court ruling in Germany.

Crickets on and on now?
Florda_mike
riflebear said:

Our son has in-laws in Canada and has indicated such actions in Canada are more the norm than standing up for beliefs. Citizenry is passive
quash
riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

It's called the Federal Constitutional Court. Yolks on you.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
BrooksBearLives
GrowlTowel said:

Better question . . . Did you? I note the lack of any citations to the contrary.

Actually, I did.

Turns out, this was about a practice being aimed at incoming refugees wherein they were trying to invalidate marriages that happened outside of the country.

Basically, once again, Rifle is ignoring nuance because he's an angry old man.

The headline would lead you to think they were legalizing child marriage in Germany, but that's not the case. Instead, it was keeping people from invalidating marriages that happen lawfully outside of Germany. I'm not defending child marriage. But I think it's really interesting that Rifle is anti-religious freedom in other countries. He struck me as more Libertarian than that.

Once again, angry old man gets taken for a ride by his own prejudices.

JXL
BrooksBearLives said:

GrowlTowel said:

Actually, I did.

Turns out, this was about a practice being aimed at incoming refugees wherein they were trying to invalidate marriages that happened outside of the country.

Basically, once again, Rifle is ignoring nuance because he's an angry old man.

The headline would lead you to think they were legalizing child marriage in Germany, but that's not the case. Instead, it was keeping people from invalidating marriages that happen lawfully outside of Germany. I'm not defending child marriage. But I think it's really interesting that Rifle is anti-religious freedom in other countries. He struck me as more Libertarian than that.

Once again, angry old man gets taken for a ride by his own prejudices.

A law banning child marriages was declared unconstitutional, which is pretty much exactly what the tweet posted by riflebear said.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/13444/germany-child-marriage-law
BrooksBearLives
As I said in my post, that tweet makes it seem like Germany allows it (child marriages in their country). Really, the ruling is more about respecting laws in other countries/recoprocity.

It's less about being in favor of of child marriage and more about respecting legal marriages in other countries.

In the specific case, a 21 year old married a 14 year old and then they were granted asylum -but then split up by the German authorities.

It's a more complicated case than Rifle seemed to be interested in entertaining.
Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

As I said in my post, that tweet makes it seem like Germany allows it (child marriages in their country). Really, the ruling is more about respecting laws in other countries/recoprocity.

It's less about being in favor of of child marriage and more about respecting legal marriages in other countries.

In the specific case, a 21 year old married a 14 year old and then they were granted asylum -but then split up by the German authorities.

It's a more complicated case than Rifle seemed to be interested in entertaining.

Maybe people wanting to marry children and have pedophilia condoned should simply move back to the country that condones it instead of changing the country they move to in order to selfishly fit their sexual desires?
quash
Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Maybe people wanting to marry children and have pedophilia condoned should simply move back to the country that condones it instead of changing the country they move to in order to selfishly fit their sexual desires?

Age of consent is arbitrary, always has been.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Doc Holliday
quash said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Age of consent is arbitrary, always has been.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
Jack Bauer
Sounds just like quash.

"Child marriage? Yawn."
Doc Holliday
Jack Bauer said:

Sounds just like quash.

"Child marriage? Yawn."
The man is incapable of laying down firmly held convictions and red lines.
You are susceptible to justifying them which is what he's trying to avoid it seems.

Ex. Open borders and free movement of people is what we need...you're a binary if you don't think so.

Quash, you can have a "you do you" attitude...but at some point their actions will effect you personally.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
quash
Jack Bauer said:

Sounds just like quash.

"Child marriage? Yawn."
That's not what I said. Welcome to the Spin Crew.
quash
See, it takes a binarist to look at my detailed views and complain about no red lines.

And we are all better off with a sane immigration policy.
Sam Lowry
Y'all know this marriage would have been legal in about half the states in the US, right?
BrooksBearLives
Doc Holliday said:

Jack Bauer said:

Sounds just like quash.

"Child marriage? Yawn."
The man is incapable of laying down firmly held convictions and red lines.
You are susceptible to justifying them which is what he's trying to avoid it seems.

Ex. Open borders and free movement of people is what we need...you're a binary if you don't think so.

Quash, you can have a "you do you" attitude...but at some point their actions will effect you personally.

So you're not pretending to be libertarian anymore.

Sounds about right.
Florda_mike
quash said:

Jack Bauer said:

Sounds just like quash.

"Child marriage? Yawn."

Quash, Jack is defining what you said

Look at your statement!
BrooksBearLives
****, man. Come on.
Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

****, man. Come on.

Remember..... you have a Title 9 reputation to live up to!
quash
Florda_mike said:

quash said:

Jack Bauer said:

Sounds just like quash.

"Child marriage? Yawn."

Quash, Jack is defining what you said

Look at your statement!

Age of consent is arbitrary.

I'm guessing that last word is what's throwing you.
quash
Sam Lowry said:

Y'all know this marriage would have been legal in about half the states in the US, right?

You're getting into content. This is a thread about headlines for snowflake outrage.
riflebear
Seems like a delightful young lady...

Doc Holliday
riflebear said:

Imagine showing this to someone 30 years ago
riflebear
Those tolerant loving liberals...

quash
riflebear said:

Those tolerant loving liberals...

Second sentence in that story is wrong, just from Trump voters on this board.
LIB,MR BEARS
riflebear said:

.I don't think Quash is a young lady. Certainly not young, at least.
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

riflebear said:

riflebear has a penchant for posting tweets that get deleted; what did this one say, maybe I can corroborate something...
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

riflebear said:

riflebear has a penchant for posting tweets that get deleted; what did this one say, maybe I can corroborate something...
not a clue. There was a ball out on a tee for me I had to hit it.
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

riflebear said:

If you can't see the ball you probably shanked it.
BrooksBearLives
Bull-**** (or racist) tweets DO tend to disappear once called out or fact-checked.

But Rifle doesn't really care.

It's ironic. The way he scatter shoots hoping something will land, you'd think his name would be shotgun.
Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

Bull-**** (or racist) tweets DO tend to disappear once called out or fact-checked.

But Rifle doesn't really care.

It's ironic. The way he scatter shoots hoping something will land, you'd think his name would be shotgun.

Shotgun!?

That's cute
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

riflebear said:

If you can't see the ball you probably shanked it.
shank is SOP for me. The goal is to not run out of balls before the round is over.. Strokes are overrated.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.