Culture & Society in 2018....

68,432 Views | 791 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by quash
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BrooksBearLives said:

Man. You seem to know a whole lot about my world and existence.

Care to explain any more, oh wise one?

Where did I leave my keys?
in your other purse.

I kid
I kid
It was just too easy
ATL Bear
BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

You're serious? Having two parents in the home is absolutely preferable. Where did I argue against that?

Show me THAT data.
you didn't. But it fits well with the laundry list of items I listed that are now acceptable.

I noticed you said two parents. Do you believe that, on average, a child has a better chance being raised by a) two moms b) two dads c) one mom and one dad in the same home?
Why did you answer as you did?

Available data says there are more important factors indicating future success than the number of parents. For instance, income is MUCH more closely correlated to success than just having two parents in the house.

I said two parents because that's what I meant. There is pretty much no data suggesting two moms or two dads or a mom and grandma, etc make you end up better or "worse." Especially when success is so incredibly subjective.

Same-sex parent units show no negative effects on their children. I was reading a few months ago how, out of 79 studies on this 75 show no difference between same sex parents and mixed sex parents (and the four outliers had serious sampling issues).

I can try and find that if you want.
There's tons of data that show that the 2 biological parents married and together with their children is the optimal environment.
quash
Malbec said:

BBL is textbook "the programmed become the programmers." His tactics are survivalist in nature. Can you imagine swimming in the cesspool of present-day academia every single day? Either you get out or you get with the program. And you don't get out unscathed. You leave the same way wiseguys, bangers and Scientologists leave.
What do you fear most?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Florda_mike
ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

You're serious? Having two parents in the home is absolutely preferable. Where did I argue against that?

Show me THAT data.
you didn't. But it fits well with the laundry list of items I listed that are now acceptable.

I noticed you said two parents. Do you believe that, on average, a child has a better chance being raised by a) two moms b) two dads c) one mom and one dad in the same home?

Available data says there are more important factors indicating future success than the number of parents. For instance, income is MUCH more closely correlated to success than just having two parents in the house.

I said two parents because that's what I meant. There is pretty much no data suggesting two moms or two dads or a mom and grandma, etc make you end up better or "worse." Especially when success is so incredibly subjective.

Same-sex parent units show no negative effects on their children. I was reading a few months ago how, out of 79 studies on this 75 show no difference between same sex parents and mixed sex parents (and the four outliers had serious sampling issues).

There's tons of data that show that the 2 biological parents married and together with their children is the optimal environment.

Yep ...... because, that's how god made it to be!
BrooksBearLives
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Man. You seem to know a whole lot about my world and existence.

Care to explain any more, oh wise one?

Where did I leave my keys?
in your other purse.

I kid
I kid
It was just too easy
I laughed. +1.
BrooksBearLives
ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

I'm sure there's data out there that says that. No doubt. However, after one controls for income, abuse, etc, the correlations become much less significant.

The things that hold to be the strongest indicators of child success are being in loving homes where the child's financial and emotional needs are met. There are NO studies that I've seen (and I'd love to see anything you can find to the contrary) that shows that exposure to non-traditional family units, in and of themselves, cause harm. That's why I find the idea that gay/lesbian couples should be barred from adopting foster children especially distressing. I personally know two couples raising children who would have had zero chance of success in the foster world, but now have a shot because of them (both children were diagnosed with serious medical needs prior to adoption).

This idea that there has to be a man and a woman raising a child in a house together is simply not backed up by any respected science.
Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

This idea that there has to be a man and a woman raising a child in a house together is simply not backed up by any respected science.

^^^ God help us all when this group that believes this crap starts running things
LIB,MR BEARS
Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

^^^ God help us all when this group that believes this crap starts running things
I hate autocorrect. You tried to type "ruining" and it came out "running".
BrooksBearLives
Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

You think there has to be a man and a woman?
LIB,MR BEARS
BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

again not addressed to me. On average, a man cannot provide everything a woman can and the other way around.
Jack Bauer
BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

HAS to be? Not if the parents are on meth or are child abusers.

A stable home with a Mom and Dad is the best environment for a child. Children need a male and female role model to learn from and this is the ideal situation.

I've known gay couples with kids and overall has been a good experience so this is not a hard line for me. Alternative family scenarios are going to occur and that's ok. But you can't replace the role of a Mom and Dad in a home with anything else.

Additionally, I think heterosexual parents would best to work on their marriages and raising their children than worrying too much about their neighbors.
BrooksBearLives
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

again not addressed to me. On average, a man cannot provide everything a woman can and the other way around.
So, are you saying that there has to be a man and a woman? Yes or no?

I know how Florda feels. He can't help but share.

Second question: what are these "things" that constitute what "a man cannot provide everything a woman can and the other way around?"
BrooksBearLives
Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

A stable home with a Mom and Dad is the best environment for a child. Children need a male and female role model to learn from and this is the ideal situation.

I've known gay couples with kids and overall has been a good experience so this is not a hard line for me. Alternative family scenarios are going to occur and that's ok. But you can't replace the role of a Mom and Dad in a home with anything else.
Having both of your own kidneys work may be ideal.

I only have one. And yet, Mike's opinion of me aside, I don't think I'm a total failure as a human being.
Jack Bauer
BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

Second question: what are these "things" that constitute what "a man cannot provide everything a woman can and the other way around?"
I have two daughters. There is no way I can teach them about growing up a girl like my wife can. I don't have the experience, I don't have the biology and I don't have the same chromosomes (GASP I said it) to pretend I could either.

Do you really not think kids learn different things from their Mom and their Dad?
Jack Bauer
BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

I only have one. And yet, Mike's opinion of me aside, I don't think I'm a total failure as a human being.

Where did this strawman come in from - Jupiter??
LIB,MR BEARS
BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

Jack provided a good response above. I use the wording "on average " for a reason and I believe you're intelligent enough to know that.

You're also intelligent enough to think of things you learned from your mom that you didn't learn from dad and from dad that you didn't learn from mom.
Florda_mike
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

I hate autocorrect. You tried to type "ruining" and it came out "running".
BrooksBearLives
Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

I have two daughters. There is no way I can teach them about growing up a girl like my wife can. I don't have the experience, I don't have the biology and I don't have the same chromosomes (GASP I said it) to pretend I could either.

Do you really not think kids learn different things from their Mom and their Dad?
I absolutely think they do. I'm just saying that experiences are different and that it's just more complicated than that.

I have family who were raised by single moms who are doctors. And I have family who were raised by a mother and father who are legit drug addicts.

I'm not saying a nuclear family isn't ideal. I'm just saying it's not as vital as having a family, period. Sometimes it's the mom and dad that ****s you up.

I'm not trashing traditional nuclear families. I'm just suggesting that it's a little bit much to say that having two fathers is going to lead to the downfall of humanity.
BrooksBearLives
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

Jack provided a good response above. I use the wording "on average " for a reason and I believe you're intelligent enough to know that.

You're also intelligent enough to think of things you learned from your mom that you didn't learn from dad and from dad that you didn't learn from mom.
don't go around talking about my intelligence. It'll make Mike mad.

But you should notice that I've never once said that traditional nuclear families are bad, or not ideal. I have literally never said that.

All of this is leading to my original problem with some posters' intimation that having same-sex parents and just being accepting of that, is leading to our society's downfall. I think that's a little overwrought.
Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

Isn't that what makes kids?

Didn't God make it that way?

Are you ready to go against God? Of course you are because that's what you've been taught! You need to unlearn the crap you've been taught
Jack Bauer
BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

I absolutely think they do. I'm just saying that experiences are different and that it's just more complicated than that.

I have family who were raised by single moms who are doctors. And I have family who were raised by a mother and father who are legit drug addicts.

I'm not saying a nuclear family isn't ideal. I'm just saying it's not as vital as having a family, period. Sometimes it's the mom and dad that ****s you up.

I'm not trashing traditional nuclear families. I'm just suggesting that it's a little bit much to say that having two fathers is going to lead to the downfall of humanity.

"Downfall of humanity"?? If that's where you are going, I think you and Mike need to just talk about this offline.
Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

You're not a failure

Your mind has been compromised though! Fix it!!!
BrooksBearLives
Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

"Downfall of humanity"?? If that's where you are going, I think you and Mike need to just talk about this offline.
Dude. Go back two pages on this thread. That's literally where we were. I've been trying to reel y'all back in from there.
Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

But you should notice that I've never once said that traditional nuclear families are bad, or not ideal. I have literally never said that.

All of this is leading to my original problem with some posters' intimation that having same-sex parents and just being accepting of that, is leading to our society's downfall. I think that's a little overwrought.

Nothing, absolutely nothing is wrong with your over abundance of intelligence BBL

It's just headed so far off course that nobody can get there!

You're misdirected in your thinking little buddy!!!
Florda_mike
Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

I'm gonna have him over to my mom's home during Christmas for some humble pie

Biggest problem for him will be my 60 year old sister that'll tell him how cow ate the cabbage. I will not let her hurt him though

BBL is good kid altogether

He'll argue a point forever

ATL Bear
BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

I'm sure there's data out there that says that. No doubt. However, after one controls for income, abuse, etc, the correlations become much less significant.

The things that hold to be the strongest indicators of child success are being in loving homes where the child's financial and emotional needs are met. There are NO studies that I've seen (and I'd love to see anything you can find to the contrary) that shows that exposure to non-traditional family units, in and of themselves, cause harm. That's why I find the idea that gay/lesbian couples should be barred from adopting foster children especially distressing. I personally know two couples raising children who would have had zero chance of success in the foster world, but now have a shot because of them (both children were diagnosed with serious medical needs prior to adoption).

There's a significant difference between "has to", and optimal. You simply can't argue against the Mother/Father model as being optimal, and the role of both male and female in the lives of both boys and girls. That doesn't mean it "has to" be that way for successful parenting outcomes, but it is the optimal target. For kids who are in the foster system, they've already lost the optimal scenario, so then we're assessing against different parameters for a successful outcome. But you need only look at the impact of divorced family situations, single parenting, etc. to know that there's a multitude of data showing the higher potential for negative outcomes. And no I'm not saying that it ALWAYS happens (far from it), only that the potential is higher.
quash
How to pee standing up. Other than that is there really so much difference among the sexes? A lot of people get raised well by single parents and poorly by couples. As bbl notes look to finances, etc.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Florda_mike
quash said:

How to pee standing up. Other than that is there really so much difference among the sexes? A lot of people get raised well by single parents and poorly by couples. As bbl notes look to finances, etc.

On que, and as expected from Quash
GrowlTowel
quash said:

Yes. If there was no difference then the 15 pages of transgender discussion is rendered moot.

--------------------------------

Freak: I want to chop off my wiener and be a woman.

Normal person: Why? The only difference between a man and woman is that the man can stand during urination.

Freak: Good point. I guess I could just sit to pee and save the pain and expense.

Normal person: Dudes stand; chicks sit.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
quash
Florda_mike said:

quash said:

On que, and as expected from Quash
Cue. The word you're looking for is "cue".

Oque?
LIB,MR BEARS
BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

If something is ideal, than that means something else is less than ideal. The more you reduce ideal and replace it with less than ideal the closer you get to the point you called downfall. I didn't say it gets us there nor did you. But if were do things, at an increased rate, that move us closer to that point, that is leading.
BrooksBearLives
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

If something is ideal, than that means something else is less than ideal. The more you reduce ideal and replace it with less than ideal the closer you get to the point you called downfall. I didn't say it gets us there nor did you. But if were do things, at an increased rate, that move us closer to that point, that is leading.

Well now you're being reductive. As we've agreed, there are MANY factors that go into raising a child. Parenting doesn't just happen between a mom and dad. There are many factors that are more closely correlated to success. If your two moms are wealthy, love you, care for you, listen to you, can provide for your medical and aspirational needs, you're going to be MILES ahead of a kid raised by a mom and dad who is all the same as the above, but the dad likes to get a little frisky with little boys like you.

There are so many factors that go into raising a child, and as a parent, I'm not so self-important to think that my girls will shrivel and die on the vine if I die. They're strong. They will move on.

So like I said. It's optimal to use super unleaded fuel in my car, it's optimal that my oil be replaced every 5,000 miles. But it's a system of things. And no one is entirely more important than others.
LIB,MR BEARS
BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

Well now you're being reductive. As we've agreed, there are MANY factors that go into raising a child. Parenting doesn't just happen between a mom and dad. There are many factors that are more closely correlated to success. If your two moms are wealthy, love you, care for you, listen to you, can provide for your medical and aspirational needs, you're going to be MILES ahead of a kid raised by a mom and dad who is all the same as the above, but the dad likes to get a little frisky with little boys like you.

There are so many factors that go into raising a child, and as a parent, I'm not so self-important to think that my girls will shrivel and die on the vine if I die. They're strong. They will move on.

So like I said. It's optimal to use super unleaded fuel in my car, it's optimal that my oil be replaced every 5,000 miles. But it's a system of things. And no one is entirely more important than others.
i don't know that prison populations will agree with you. Yes, there is a large number of inmates that come from an impoverished youth. There is a larger number that come from fatherless homes.
GrowlTowel
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

i don't know that prison populations will agree with you. Yes, there is a large number of inmates that come from an impoverished youth. There is a larger number that come from fatherless homes.

True. But the data shows that a well meaning Butch Dike is a ready substitute. -BBL
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
BrooksBearLives
LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ATL Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Show me THAT data.

I'm going to go ahead and insist you show your work or retract your statement. I actually have a little background in this and can pretty much guarantee that is not fact.

Poverty is MUCH more of an indicator of prison/jail than "fatherless homes."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.