NRA continues its self destruction

11,664 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by xiledinok
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"This decline of the firearms sportsman, a central figure of American folklore, has been a slow process over many years. That decline also does a lot to explain why the NRA has become increasingly politically rabid, and not just about gun rights. Their video network, NRA TV, puts out an enormous amount of content that has little or nothing to do with guns, but is about stoking right-wing resentments over immigration, feminism and liberalism in general.
This shift suggests that the NRA, and the gun industry in general, is trying to double down on the idea that guns are markers of identity totems of loyalty to the right-wing tribe precisely because there's no way the industry can stay afloat through straightforward, benign marketing to sportsmen. Johnson pointed out that Cameron Gray, a producer who posted and then deleted a tweet saying he and other employees were laid off, was "one of the only guys who is more lighthearted" on the network. Johnson suggested that the network is "going further and further with the extreme rhetoric" in an effort to stir its right-wing audiences into rage and fear against liberals, in hopes that they will channel those emotions into buying more guns.
But as Johnson suggests, the NRA may have "put themselves in a corner" with this strategy. There's only so many guns one can sell by convincing angry conservatives that stockpiling expensive, high-powered weapons is a way to stick it to the libs. Indeed, a great deal of the revenue decline is because the NRA is simply losing members, and therefore membership dues.
So the customer base for guns is shrinking, and the effort to squeeze more gun sales out of the existing customer base with right-wing hysterics is starting to wear thin. The gun industry may soon find itself in the same boat as the tobacco industry was a couple of decades ago, hit by the twin forces of increasing public support for regulation and declining public interest in its products. What was once a behemoth that seemed impossible to defeat is starting to show signs of weakness, beaten down as much by the invisible hand of the free market as by political opposition." Amanda Marcotte
Waco1947
El Oso
Waco1947 said:

There's only so many guns one can sell by convincing angry conservatives that stockpiling expensive, high-powered weapons is a way to stick it to the libs.
Obama set the all time record though. Nearly 30 million background checks his last year in office. (They were around 13 million/year when he took office.)

If anything, Trump should get a lot of credit for gun sales falling 25% in the last two years.
ScottS
The NRA is fine despite what 1947 thinks. Question...who has killed more.....the NRA or Kennedy's car and the Clintons (see the Clinton body count).
quash
The NRA used to stand for sportsmen and education and safety. Thanks to Wayne LaPierre it is now just another sponsor on the Red team jersey.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Waco1947
quash said:

The NRA used to stand for sportsmen and education and safety. Thanks to Wayne LaPierre it is now just another sponsor on the Red team jersey.
Yep, you nailed it. The article I quoted makes the same point.
They can't seem help themselves with their Defense if a silly conspiracy theory. Pardon the expression "They are shooting themselves in the foot."
cinque
US authorities are looking into a plot to funnel Russian money through the NRA to the Trump campaign, perhaps through NRA entities that were not required to disclose their funding sources.

There's smoke there. Fire will follow shortly.
quash
cinque said:

US authorities are looking into a plot to funnel Russian money through the NRA to the Trump campaign, perhaps through NRA entities that were not required to disclose their funding sources.

That smoke is old news. I think the fire may be out.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
cinque said:

You seem to always come to fast and furious conclusions!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Waco1947
When you ride the horse of death
http://fortune.com/2018/08/03/nra-claims-deep-financial-trouble-may-put-it-out-of-business/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-article&utm_content=20181209
cowboycwr
47 can you explain how the NRA is responsible for the latest terror shooting in France? I'm sure you have figured out a way they are.
Waco1947
Obama set the record? Thanks for proving my point.
Waco1947
cowboycwr said:

47 can you explain how the NRA is responsible for the latest terror shooting in France? I'm sure you have figured out a way they are.
Silly man, why defend something I didn't say. I simply saying the nra is crashing. Now can explain how the nra crashed a trash truck into my fire hydrant? That's not keeping home safe at all
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

What?
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

cowboycwr said:

Silly man, why defend something I didn't say. I simply saying the nra is crashing. Now can explain how the nra crashed a trash truck into my fire hydrant? That's not keeping home safe at all
Again.... What?

This makes no sense and is a nice deflection (or as you love to say) Straw man argument.
Waco1947
Waco1947
Silliness. Why is that my job? It's there country. Nra is failing here.
cinque
Buttina will prove helpful in uncovering the dirty deeds of the nra.
Waco1947
"nstead, in the waning days of 2018, the NRA now appears to be worse off than it has been in years. The group has made no progress on its federal legislative priorities, and reportedly faces stiff financial headwinds, as well as the looming threat of a pair of explosive scandals involving Russian money and influence.

Perhaps more concerning for the NRA, this year made clear that it's losing its stranglehold on the conversation around firearms in the U.S. The February school shooting in Parkland, Florida, led to surging momentum in favor of stronger gun laws. A student-led movement emerged in response, quickly singling out the NRA as its chief enemy, and ultimately helping gun safety candidates win victories in the midterm elections. Doctors also jumped into the anti-NRA fray later in the year, publicly thumping the group over its demands that the medical community keep quiet on issues of gun violence.

Despite the challenges for the NRA, experts say it's too early to know if 2018 was merely a blip or a sign of worse things to come. But as the group looks to claw back power in 2019, here are some of the issues it's up against." Nick Wing
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Waco1947 said:

"nstead, in the waning days of 2018, the NRA now appears to be worse off than it has been in years. The group has made no progress on its federal legislative priorities, and reportedly faces stiff financial headwinds, as well as the looming threat of a pair of explosive scandals involving Russian money and influence.

Perhaps more concerning for the NRA, this year made clear that it's losing its stranglehold on the conversation around firearms in the U.S. The February school shooting in Parkland, Florida, led to surging momentum in favor of stronger gun laws. A student-led movement emerged in response, quickly singling out the NRA as its chief enemy, and ultimately helping gun safety candidates win victories in the midterm elections. Doctors also jumped into the anti-NRA fray later in the year, publicly thumping the group over its demands that the medical community keep quiet on issues of gun violence.

Despite the challenges for the NRA, experts say it's too early to know if 2018 was merely a blip or a sign of worse things to come. But as the group looks to claw back power in 2019, here are some of the issues it's up against." Nick Wing
Do you own any firearms, Waco? Serious question.

-- Barack Obama
Waco1947
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

No. Never. Dad owned them and I went to firing ranges many a time.. in homes guns are stupid.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

.. in homes guns are stupid.
As opposed to out-of-home guns that are not?

-- Barack Obama
cowboycwr
Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

No. Never. Dad owned them and I went to firing ranges many a time.. in homes guns are stupid.

Says you. I think they are a vital part of my security. A great addition to the cameras, locks, doorbell camera, and security system.
90sBear
Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

So your dad was stupid?
Waco1947
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

.. in homes guns are stupid.
As opposed to out-of-home guns that are not?
Depends on who is carrying the gun.
quash
If the NRA got back on mission it would be carried by a trained, safety conscious user.
El Oso
Waco1947 said:

Sigh.

It was supposed to. One of the main reasons I am not an NRA member is this climate of fear they created under Obama.

I've never bought a gun out of fear.

The decrease in sales is because this fear no longer exists. Gun sales will spike again when a blue gets back in office.

They'd be off the charts had Clinton won.
Sam Lowry
I don't buy that the NRA is responsible for politicizing the gun issue. Guns have always been political. Wayne LaPierre didn't invent the assault weapon ban or the movement to repeal the 2nd.

Does the NRA overwhelmingly support Republicans? I'm sure they do, for obvious reasons. If Democrats aren't gun-friendly, you can't lay that at the feet of the NRA or the GOP.
Waco1947
Guns in my home are stupid Thanks for pointing out my error
quash
Waco1947 said:

In your home, maybe. They are fine in mine.
Waco1947
quash said:

Waco1947 said:

Sure I get but again please address the well regulated militia questions. Thanks.
El Oso
Waco1947 said:

quash said:

Waco1947 said:

Sure I get but again please address the well regulated militia questions. Thanks.

What's to address? When the amendment was written any able bodied American male of fighting age wax considered to be in the militia.

That's what the founders wanted and that's what should be applied today.
Waco1947
Who authorized which militia is in charge?
El Oso
Waco1947 said:

Who authorized which militia is in charge?

Name one rogue militia in the United States on Jan 2, 2019.

You can't.
Waco1947
God stop being so damn defensive. I am simply asking.
If I were a gun owner and thought the government had crossed the line into tyranny then how does s well regulated militia come together?
El Oso
Probably fairly close to the way it did in 1776.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.