Abortion up until Birth passed by NY Dems

87,966 Views | 837 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Edmond Bear
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First, thanks for your answers, BBL.

Me: First, let's understand that abortion is killing... every abortion kills a living being, a being which if allowed to live would be human.

BBL: Not all fetuses are viable, but your point mostly stands.

Me: The reason I brought that up, is because this is a life decision and those are emotionally powerful for people affected by the decision. We can discuss a topic here without bearing much cost, but people whose lives are changed by such a decision, on both sides, deserve respect as people.

Me: Why is it OK to let facilities perform surgeries without a single certified surgeon on the premises?

BBL: All abortions are not the same. The morning after pill is different from a late-term abortion. So let's appreciate the nuance there. I'll defer to experts on the matter who state a surgeon is not required in 99% of all abortions. A scalpel is almost never used and anesthesia is almost never used. It's local anesthetic only.

Me: I'm not talking about pills and self-applied actions, but what happens in clinics. One thing which never gets discussed in the media is the relatively high rate of medical mistakes in such clinics, specifically because abortion clinics do not require actual doctors on site. Blood loss, seizures, and other traumas DO occur but patients are forced to sign away rights when they agree to the procedure at the clinic. In states like New York, laws protect clinics from liability for most accidental harm caused to patients as a result of the abortion.

Me: Seriously, we all expect pharmaceutical companies to be candid about possible complications from a medicine, but it's fine for abortion providers to conceal the possible complications of an abortion?

BBL:I'm not sure what you think I was saying, but I was talking more about access to contraception than an abortion. But if we're thinking critically, I think we can come up with a few examples of where it would be a very bad idea to require a parent to be in place (especially if there is misconduct involved).

Me: For this thread, I'd prefer we stick to abortion itself. While some people may consider contraception unethical, I do not, and in any case contraception is a very different matter in terms of enforcement and social conscience than abortion. I find it dishonest to protect clinics from liability for their actions, especially in the possible physical and emotional consequences of having an abortion. In my last two cancer surgeries, my oncologist was candid about the risks, even when remote, and I appreciated the discussions because I knew I was getting full disclosure and treated with respect for an important decision. A decision to have an abortion deserves the same candor and disclosure, even when difficult.

Me: Finally, I can agree that having an abortion is ultimately the choice of the pregnant woman. But to deny the father any rights in the matter is obscenely unjust. I'm not smart enough to say what the solution there is, but to demand that men simply have no say is way out of line.

BBL:I think this is a little squishy. I have a pretty big issue with trusting a government to say what a woman can or can't do with her body. I have even MORE of an issue with allowing a 3rd party private citizen -who will not be expected to carry the child to term- to have a say over what a woman can or can't do with her body. Can you imagine a scenario where you would allow a 3rd party to force you to do something so intimate with your body and it would work out?

Me: As I said, I'm not throwing out an answer here, but denying the father any say is abhorrent and unjust. Also, when you say you have trouble "trusting a government" on this issue, keep in mind that we are discussing government laws which deny the fathers any rights in relation to their potential children. Simply saying 'it's her body' ignores that the fetus is a potential human being in his/her own right, and denying the father any legal rights amounts to the old robber-baron rule of 'possession is nine-tenths of the law'. A father is not merely a "third party private citizen", and should never be so insulted. Part of the problem, from where I sit, is men not taking responsibility for the children they bring into this world, so we should not punish the ones who are trying to be responsible.

BBL: How would you even enforce that? Honest question.

Me: Enforcement should always be protection of rights, to save lives, and to protect the public welfare. Rights considered should be the mother, the child, and the father. Not in equal measure, but any decision which ignores rights from one party is immoral. Discussion is needed, but not yelling, insults or one-dimensional caricatures which don't even describe the real condition, much less offer a functional solution.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Osodecentx
Waco1947 said:

Pro Life? Then how about these in addition to Edmond's ideas.
1. Universal Healthcare (Including Dental and Vision)

Because you cannot expect a person to be able to complete life, let alone a pregnancy or childhood without access to doctors, medicine, hospitals, and root canals.

2. Universal Childcare

Because, you need to understand the fact that childcare costs the same or more a month than most people's rent and jobs don't tend to allow small children in the workplace, they are a total liability.

3. Funding Food Stamps

Because food is important to maintain life.

4. Livable Minimum Wage

Because children and life cost money and that's probably not going to change in the near future.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
Doc Holliday
Doc Holliday
I didn't want to believe it but then I ran into this: https://jme.bmj.com/content/39/5/261

It's right there folks.
DioNoZeus
90sBear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

90sBear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

5 minutes prior to these pictures, it would be legally fine for a non-doctor to murder these babies in New York. Disgusting.

Only if the mother's health is in legitimate danger.

I'm anti-abortion, too. But you shouldn't have to lie to make your point.
"Doctor I think I'm going to kill myself if I have to go through with this pregnancy. I just don't think I can take it. I'm not ready for it and I just can't do it."

Is this mother's health in legitimate danger?

Straw man arguments are considered a logical fallacy for a reason.
That's no straw man argument. If the law states that the mother's emotional health could be a factor in determining if an abortion is appropriate past a certain developmental period, how are suicidal thoughts weighed into a decision? What if she has a plan and the means to carry it out? That could qualify her for at least a short stay in a hospital for psychiatric reasons and her safety.

I'm really not trying to make some troll comment here.
I got tired of wading through the muck to see if anyone answered your question. If someone already has then I apologize for being redundant.

If a pregnant woman in the third trimester were truely suicidal, she would likely be admitted to the hospital on the obstetrics service with suicide precautions (a 24 hour sitter to make sure she doesn't harm herself) with a psychiatrist on consult to treat her psychosis. If psychotic, she would not be competent to make the decision for an abortion herself. Also, I believe a physician would not perform an abortion for this patient since abortion is not a recognized treatment for psychosis.
Edmond Bear
Doc Holliday said:

I didn't want to believe it but then I ran into this: https://jme.bmj.com/content/39/5/261

It's right there folks.

According to this, it is acceptable to kill a child up until the point that they can recognize their own loss. So, somewhere around the time when a child recognizes that they are not the same entity as their mother...around 2. The study says it is acceptable to kill children up until 2 years old.

I...don't....even....
DioNoZeus
It's not a scientific study but rather a group's opinion published in a medical ethics journal.
Oldbear83
Making sure Infanticide is included in the interest of 'expanding access' ?
DioNoZeus
Oldbear83 said:

huh?
Oldbear83
DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

huh?
The journal has editors who decide what is acceptable to print. The piece was included, ergo infanticide is part of the spectrum.
DioNoZeus
Oldbear83 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

huh?
The journal has editors who decide what is acceptable to print. The piece was included, ergo infanticide is part of the spectrum.
It is a group of authors' attempt to make a rational argument for infanticide published in an ethics journal that no one reads, nothing more. It is not a practice guideline for physicians and is certainly not a scientific study testing a hypothesis as suggested by the poster who I originally quoted.
Doc Holliday
DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

huh?
It is a group of authors' attempt to make a rational argument for infanticide published in an ethics journal that no one reads, nothing more. It is not a practice guideline for physicians and is certainly not a scientific study testing a hypothesis as suggested by the poster who I originally quoted.
I think the authors thoughts on abortion foretells what many on the left will eventually value or strive for.

We're not there yet, but you get enough of Huffington Post, VOX, CNN or other MSM pushing the rhetoric and the next thing you now it's in a bill.
Oldbear83
Pretty weak excuse, that.
DioNoZeus
Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

huh?
I think the authors thoughts on abortion foretells what many on the left will eventually value or strive for.

We're not there yet, but you get enough of Huffington Post, VOX, CNN or other MSM pushing the rhetoric and the next thing you now it's in a bill.

Maybe, but that's going to be a really tough sell for the average American.
DioNoZeus
Oldbear83 said:

What are you talking about you senile coot?
Doc Holliday
DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

huh?

For sure. This might be something my generation pushes through in a decade or so. Really depends on cultural political movements and shifts.

I hope to God it never sells, but if you're a Christian, you know it's coming.
Florda_mike
DioNoZeus said:

Doc Holliday said:

DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

huh?

I like your posts better than those silly gifs

Please keep posting!

Good stuff
Oldbear83
DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

Two words you should consider, DZ: Anger Management
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

huh?
So do you, DioNoZeus, think full term-abortions are acceptable? This is not a trick question. A simple yes or no answer will suffice. Thanks in advance for your most polite and eloquent answer.

"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
DioNoZeus
No
DioNoZeus
Oldbear83 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

One word you should consider: Aricept
Florda_mike
DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

One word you should consider: Aricept

Oh now

Be nice
Oldbear83
Don't be triggered, it's so ... November 2016.
quash
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

DioNoZeus said:

Oldbear83 said:

huh?
So do you, DioNoZeus, think full term-abortions are acceptable? This is not a trick question. A simple yes or no answer will suffice. Thanks in advance for your most polite and eloquent answer.

Make up your mind: do you want binary or eloquent?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Jack and DP
Jack and DP
BaylorOkie
Jack and DP said:

Is Ralph on the right or the left?
Jack and DP
Edmond Bear
BaylorOkie said:

Jack and DP said:

Is Ralph on the right or the left?

Ralph is in the middle.

But, the kid on the left looks awfully suspicious of Ralph.
ValhallaBear
DioNoZeus
Oldbear83 said:

Don't be triggered, it's so ... November 2016.
Triggered? I'm not the one posting hysterical responses to fringe opinion pieces published in unread journals
BrooksBearLives
Virginia Democratic Party is calling on Northam to design.

Meanwhile, Republicans are giving their racist-in-chief money and buying MAGA hats.
Florda_mike
Jack and DP said:

^^^ That kid on left knows what's up with that white guy
Jack and DP
BrooksBearLives said:

Meanwhile, Republicans are giving their racist-in-chief money and buying MAGA hats.

Design what? Some kind of baby killing chamber?
Doc Holliday
BrooksBearLives said:

You're so mad lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.