Abortion up until Birth passed by NY Dems

93,212 Views | 837 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Edmond Bear
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

They're going to happen either way. I think they should be as rare as possible, but safe.
Shootings are going to happen anyway, let anyone who wants a gun get one.

People are going to drive drunk anyway so let anyone who want to drink and drive do so.

Rare! You missed the word Rare! How do you make abortions rare?

How do make abortions rare? A respect for all life which is a topic you never advocated from your pulpit.
Why, yes. Yes, I have and includes my respect for lives of women.
Waco1947
Abortion opponents like to weaponize the abortion issue. One sees it here in the personal attacks on me and BBL

"Create confusion and you create widespread fear (wait, they're aborting full-term babies?? They can't do that!); create fear and you have great division (who would want to kill a baby! those monsters!); and with that division, you can more easily "divide and conquer" the subjects you aim to keep small and silent (how do "those kinds of women" possibly support this evil law?) Divide women across ideological lines, and you have effectively achieved a "divide and conquer" situation, wherein women will never really mobilize for their own progress and equality, because you're keeping them too busy fighting about their babies and their bodies.

There is a whole chapter about this in my book, Resist and Persist: Faith and the Fight for Equality. The fight over abortion has so effectively polarized this country that no leader can hope to get elected without engaging it. And for those on the extreme right or left of this issue, all other conversations come to a screeching halt when this one is on the table. I've long known this line of discourse is a favorite tool of the patriarchy in its onhoing attempt to shame and silence women; but I've never seen such a glimmering "case in point" as this most recent legislation. Politicians and faith leaders have leveraged the hysteria to boost their own profiles. But that hysteria overlooks critical facts and context, makes broad generalizations and assumes the most sinister of intentions at every turn." Erin Warden Patheos
Jack Bauer
BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

They're going to happen either way. I think they should be as rare as possible, but safe.

People are going to drive drunk anyway so let anyone who want to drink and drive do so.

How do make abortions rare? A respect for all life which is a topic you never advocated from your pulpit.
#1 most effective way to make them rare is to limit the amount of unwanted pregnancies from happening in the first place. Free/cheap birth control and actual comprehensive sex education. The return on investment there is astronomical. A
Contraception is universally available. The CDC said in a study that 99% of sexually active women have used contraception at some point in their lifetime. This is not a main reason for unintended pregnancies.
Forest Bueller

For abortion proponents, to be honest, when 44/100 black pregnancies end in abortion, and 21% of all pregnancies end in abortion, it is much more than a debate about "womens rights".

It is a debate about abortion being used as convenience birth control, which is wrong. You are killing a person.

If it were really about the health of the mother or rape/incest, 98% or more of abortions would cease to occur.

To make them rare hearts have to be changed. To change hearts, the message has to be received and understood, it is a person who is being terminated, not just cells. A person not allowed to be born.
BrooksBearLives
Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

#1 most effective way to make them rare is to limit the amount of unwanted pregnancies from happening in the first place. Free/cheap birth control and actual comprehensive sex education. The return on investment there is astronomical. A
Contraception is universally available. The CDC said in a study that 99% of sexually active women have used contraception at some point in their lifetime. This is not a main reason for unintended pregnancies.
Come on. You can look deeper at the data.

Contraception being "universally available" is a new thing. Also, "universally" and "available" don't mean "universally available." How many times have the GOP fought the ACA citing a need for exceptions for religious puposes of providing birth control alone?

But in either case, you can track and see how the increase in availability nation-wide has correlated with a drop in abortions.https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/access-to-free-birth-control-reduces-abortion-rates/

In EVERY SINGLE COMMUNITY where contraception was made free and available, abortion rates have dropped. I challenge you to find an exception.
Waco1947
Forest Bueller said:

For abortion proponents, to be honest, when 44/100 black pregnancies end in abortion, and 21% of all pregnancies end in abortion, it is much more than a debate about "womens rights".

It is a debate about abortion being used as convenience birth control, which is wrong. You are killing a person.

If it were really about the health of the mother or rape/incest, 98% or more of abortions would cease to occur.

To make them rare hearts have to be changed. To change hearts, the message has to be received and understood, it is a person who is being terminated, not just cells. A person not allowed to be born.
Nobody but nobody is an "abortion proponent." That's your silly fantasy and binary narrative. I just happen to come down on the side of women having the right to their own decisions. It's none of your business. You would want the same right, right?
Canada2017
Forest Bueller said:

Very kind message and 100% correct .

Continued respect for Mr Bueller .
Forest Bueller
Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Nobody but nobody is an "abortion proponent." That's your silly fantasy and binary narrative. I just happen to come down on the side of women having the right to their own decisions. It's none of your business. You would want the same right, right?
Sorry Mr. 47 you are wrong here. "You" are calling "me" binary. That is silliness and a straw man, I have as well rounded a variety of views as anybody on this board, you good sir are a binary thinker.

I even voted for Bill Clinton once, because his message was basically identical to the one I just mentioned about the hope abortion becomes rare and the exception, he even talked about the change of heart needed for them to become rare. Unfortunately he wasn't serious, just as the rank and file Republican is not serious about reducing abortion, but use it as an election plank.

BrooksBearLives
Forest Bueller said:

Would you mind sharing your source on that? I don't doubt you, but those numbers are pretty striking. I would really like to understand the context.

Unwanted pregnancies are almost always a function of bad healthcare and education. Stop the unwanted pregnancies in the first place, abortions will go down.
BaylorOkie
Forest Bueller said:

Great post.
BaylorOkie
Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

No. Absolutely not. I speak for myself and am confident I speak for FB when I say we do NOT want the right to murder unwanted children. That's not a "man's right" that any man should have.

Your buzz words are old and tired.
Binary.
Ad hominem.
Woman's rights.

Stop it. No one with a conscience is buying that a woman should have the right to abortion as birth control. And that's what many abortions are - for convenience. You are a fool to ignore the rights of a human being in this argument.
Jack Bauer
BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Contraception being "universally available" is a new thing. Also, "universally" and "available" don't mean "universally available." How many times have the GOP fought the ACA citing a need for exceptions for religious puposes of providing birth control alone?

But in either case, you can track and see how the increase in availability nation-wide has correlated with a drop in abortions.https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/access-to-free-birth-control-reduces-abortion-rates/

In EVERY SINGLE COMMUNITY where contraception was made free and available, abortion rates have dropped. I challenge you to find an exception.
I am sure a curse-filled, hateful response is to follow but...

CDC Study on HOW a woman got unintentionally pregnant:
-almost half of women assumed they couldn't get pregnant (44 percent)
-didn't mind getting pregnant (23 percent)
-didn't plan to have sex (14 percent)
-or worried about the side effects of birth control (16 percent).

"I didn't have access to birth control" is not even a major reason.
BrooksBearLives
Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

-almost half of women assumed they couldn't get pregnant (44 percent) THIS IS WHERE EDUCATION COMES IN.
THIS IS WHERE EDUCATION COMES IN
THIS IS WHERE EDUCATION COMES IN.

First off, please cite your sources

Secondly, the birth control HAS to be accompanied with education. I have been consistent on that (as is all literature). The education piece is where the need and effectiveness of birth control is made clear. Almost half of women didn't know they could get pregnant?!?!? How could we fix that?

Didn't plan on having sex? That's why you take the pill, you take care of the planning UP FRONT.

Side-effects of the pill? Education AND access to birth control (more than one kind).

I am against abortion. You cannot find a single case where education AND access to healthcare/birth control has been increased and abortions/pregnancies overall have increased. You cannot find a SINGLE one.

We don't really disagree on this. You're just being reflexively obtuse because you hate liberals so much you would never admit one could be right about something.
BrooksBearLives
Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

-almost half of women assumed they couldn't get pregnant (44 percent)

I didn't have access to birth control... That's like asking someone who gets arrested for a DUI why it happened. The very nature of the question rules out certain answers.

I bet you no one is going to say because they" didn't know they could call a taxi."
BrooksBearLives
From the report I shared that none of you will read:

Quote:

Unplanned pregnancies are a significant problem in the United States. According to a 2012 Brookings Institution report, more than 90 percent of abortions occur due to unintended pregnancy.

Each year, about 50 percent of all pregnancies that occur in the US are not planned, a number far higher than is reported in other developed countries. About half of these pregnancies result from women not using contraception and the other half from incorrect or irregular use.

A new study by investigators at Washington University reports that providing birth control to women at no cost substantially reduces unplanned pregnancies and cuts abortion rates by a range of 62 to 78 percent compared to the national rate.
https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/access-to-free-birth-control-reduces-abortion-rates/
Waco1947
BaylorOkie said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

No. Absolutely not. I speak for myself and am confident I speak for FB when I say we do NOT want the right to murder unwanted children. That's not a "man's right" that any man should have.

Binary.
Ad hominem.
Woman's rights.

Stop it. No one with a conscience is buying that a woman should have the right to abortion as birth control. And that's what many abortions are - for convenience. You are a fool to ignore the rights of a human being in this argument.
1) No one said "as birth control". Not me not anyone.
2) Do you want someone else making decisions about your health based on their misguided moral standard
Waco1947
Denigrating women as having abortions for convenience sake is totally misguided and clueless.
You are simply dismissive based on your projections
ValhallaBear
BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

-almost half of women assumed they couldn't get pregnant (44 percent) THIS IS WHERE EDUCATION COMES IN.

Secondly, the birth control HAS to be accompanied with education. I have been consistent on that (as is all literature). The education piece is where the need and effectiveness of birth control is made clear. Almost half of women didn't know they could get pregnant?!?!? How could we fix that?

Didn't plan on having sex? That's why you take the pill, you take care of the planning UP FRONT.

Side-effects of the pill? Education AND access to birth control (more than one kind).

I am against abortion. You cannot find a single case where education AND access to healthcare/birth control has been increased and abortions/pregnancies overall have increased. You cannot find a SINGLE one.

We don't really disagree on this. You're just being reflexively obtuse because you hate liberals so much you would never admit one could be right about something.
Liberals...'we take care of you from the cradle to the grave'

I'd love to hear your plan of rolling out this massive amount of education

Schools? No thanks. I wouldn't want my kids teachers putting condoms on cucumbers in front of the class. Then they'll be demonstrating front hole and back hole sex (can't discriminate)

If you're 22 and don't know you can get pregnant you're a moron anyway and will probably birth morons
YoakDaddy
Waco1947 said:

Denigrating women as having abortions for convenience sake is totally misguided and clueless.
You are simply dismissive based on your projections

Abortions for convenience sake is murder.
BrooksBearLives
ValhallaBear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Schools? No thanks. I wouldn't want my kids teachers putting condoms on cucumbers in front of the class. Then they'll be demonstrating front hole and back hole sex (can't discriminate)

If you're 22 and don't know you can get pregnant you're a moron anyway and will probably birth morons
Oh look. This guy doesn't want education in schools.
LIB,MR BEARS
BrooksBearLives said:

ValhallaBear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Canada, just because BBL went to school and post so much tripe, please don't let that tarnish all schools.

Okay BBL, I fixed it for you.
LIB,MR BEARS
BrooksBearLives said:

ValhallaBear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

90sBear
I agree with BBL here. It's great that people here take the time to educate their children and are thorough about. That doesn't mean that every other parent is doing their due diligence in the same way. Some parents don't want to or don't know how to talk about it. Some work long hours and just don't have the energy to do it when they get home. Yes, some are just stupid or lazy.

You have to take a preventative approach here, which is far less expensive and stressful for the system in the long run than financially supporting a lot children from low income and single family homes which is where are lot of the less educated pregnancies are coming from.

When my wife was in medical school one thing they had to do was go into the local public schools and give health talks. She's a strong proponent to this day.
BrooksBearLives
Sorry. I'm a liberal. Can't agree with me.

'Cause tripe and stuff.
LIB,MR BEARS
BrooksBearLives said:

Sorry. I'm a liberal. Can't agree with me.

'Cause tripe and stuff.
Sorry you have no sense of humor because of ...well, liberal and stuff.
BaylorOkie
Waco1947 said:

BaylorOkie said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Binary.
Ad hominem.
Woman's rights.

1) No one said "as birth control". Not me not anyone.
2) Do you want someone else making decisions about your health based on their misguided moral standard

1. You are unbelievably naive to think that abortion isn't used as birth control. I don't actually think you believe it. There's just no way.

Right now I'm sitting next to my 11 year old daughter. She was a couple hours away from being aborted for convenience - as a method of birth control. Her birth mother told me this directly. God bless her for coming to her senses and giving my daughter life. At the 11th hour she chose not to abort, but women do it EVERY DAY. They abort their babies because they don't want them, can't afford them, don't want anyone to know they are pregnant, etc. This happens whether you admit it or not. My daughter was almost aborted because her birth parents didn't want the expense of another child.

2. You think I am operating under a "misguided moral standard", so there's no reason to continue this discussion. It's why I almost always stay away from abortion debates.
YoakDaddy
And now democrats in Virginia are proposing the same thing as NY. Our country is sick.
Jack Bauer
YoakDaddy said:

And now democrats in Virginia are proposing the same thing as NY. Our country is sick.
A woman is never going to abort their baby the day before delivery...which is why we need a law to allow it.
riflebear
NY: Lets murder babies in their 3rd trimester
VA: Hold my beer - we're going to murder them during birth

BrooksBearLives
Jack Bauer said:

YoakDaddy said:

A woman is never going to abort their baby the day before delivery...which is why we need a law to allow it.

The law only allows 3rd trimester abortions for non-viable (dead) fetuses or specifically in cases where the mother's life is in danger.

That's what the law says.
GrowlTowel
BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

#1 most effective way to make them rare is to limit the amount of unwanted pregnancies from happening in the first place. Free/cheap birth control and actual comprehensive sex education. The return on investment there is astronomical.

How much does a prophylactic cost? They are sold in every gas station, every pharmacy, and every men's room in Oregon. 50 cents.

I call bull*****
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
BrooksBearLives
GrowlTowel said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

#1 most effective way to make them rare is to limit the amount of unwanted pregnancies from happening in the first place. Free/cheap birth control and actual comprehensive sex education. The return on investment there is astronomical.

How much does a prophylactic cost? They are sold in every gas station, every pharmacy, and every men's room in Oregon. 50 cents.

I call bull*****

You're not pro-life. You're pro-birth.
GrowlTowel
BrooksBearLives said:

GrowlTowel said:

BrooksBearLives said:

YoakDaddy said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

BrooksBearLives said:

I call bull*****

You're not pro-life. You're pro-birth.

50 cents to **** a *****? The poor can't afford?
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
ValhallaBear
BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

YoakDaddy said:

The law only allows 3rd trimester abortions for non-viable (dead) fetuses or specifically in cases where the mother's life is in danger.

Your first example is a stillbirth (after 28 weeks) whether they choose to deliver the baby naturally or a doctor has to induce a situation to get the baby out it's not an abortion
The second example can 100% of the time be solved by early delivery removal of the baby and put it in neonatal ICU. There is no situation where an abortion killing the baby will save the life of the mother. Early birth accomplishes the same goal and the baby has a chance at survival
BrooksBearLives
ValhallaBear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Jack Bauer said:

YoakDaddy said:

Your first example is a stillbirth (after 28 weeks) whether they choose to deliver the baby naturally or a doctor has to induce a situation to get the baby out it's not an abortion
The second example can 100% of the time be solved by early delivery removal of the baby and put it in neonatal ICU. There is no situation where an abortion killing the baby will save the life of the mother. Early birth accomplishes the same goal and the baby has a chance at survival

Sounds like you accidentally made a point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.