The myth of meritocracy

55,450 Views | 619 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Waco1947
Florda_mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another typically civil day on the ole Sic Em poli board
BrooksBearLives
D. C. Bear said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Booray said:

william said:

>> In 2017, federal, state, and local governments spent $3,882 billion on social programs. This amounts to:
  • 60% of all current government spending.
  • $11,918 for every person living in the U.S.
  • $30,755 for every household in the U.S.
  • 19.9% of the U.S. gross domestic product.<<<<

How much of that is Medicare and Social Security Retirement payments?

I ask because those two programs tend to reinforce socioeconomic status.

Medicare and Medicaid alone are 26% of all the budget.

Social Security is 24%.

So 83% of all money spent on social programs, to answer your question, is what percentage is made up of Medicare/aid and Social Security.

So, basically, William is kind of full of *****

We spend roughly twice as much on Defense than we do on safety net programs.
So BBL, obviously math is important. We dont spend anywhere close to 2x. 2018 Military spending was appox $720 bln. Social spending was approx $2.8 trillion. So maybe you should crawl back underneath a rock. Pathetic.
You're confusing discretionary spending and mandatory spending.

According to the 2020 proposed budget:

Defense will be $989 billion, which includes $212.9 for Dept of State, Homeland Security and Veterans Affairs.

Medicare wll be $679 billion
Medicaid will be $418 billion
Social Security will be $1,102 billion

How exactly do you calculate all that into "twice as much on Defense than we do on safety net programs"?

Because that money doesn't count. Why are you such an idiot?
Man. You're name-calling early. Tut-tut.
ShooterTX
BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Booray said:

william said:

>> In 2017, federal, state, and local governments spent $3,882 billion on social programs. This amounts to:

Social Security is 24%.

So 83% of all money spent on social programs, to answer your question, is what percentage is made up of Medicare/aid and Social Security.

So BBL, obviously math is important. We dont spend anywhere close to 2x. 2018 Military spending was appox $720 bln. Social spending was approx $2.8 trillion. So maybe you should crawl back underneath a rock. Pathetic.

Defense will be $989 billion, which includes $212.9 for Dept of State, Homeland Security and Veterans Affairs.

How exactly do you calculate all that into "twice as much on Defense than we do on safety net programs"?

You really are that kid on the playground who can't play football or soccer... so he goes crying to the teacher saying that all the other kids are being mean and calling names.... LOL
D. C. Bear
BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Booray said:

william said:

Social Security is 24%.

No, I'm not name calling at all. The sarcasm should have been clear given that he and I were making the same argument.
BrooksBearLives
D. C. Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Booray said:

william said:

Social Security is 24%.

No, I'm not name calling at all. The sarcasm should have been clear given that he and I were making the same argument.
You clearly called me an idiot. But that's not name-calling?

Shame.
Doc Holliday
Ok BBL, I will give you a random scenario and you tell me how to handle this.

Jack decides to quit high school in 10th grade.

He's shown zero interest in getting his GED or going to college/trade school, he refuses to learn new skills or look for a job, and instead he spends all his time playing video games.

He's now 25 and lives at home with his parents.

He get's a job at McDonald's where works 30 hours a week.

His parents decide he needs to move out.

He now lives in a $600 a month 400 sq ft. studio apartment in the hood.
He won't use his extra free time to apply at a trade school, or anywhere else.

1.) Does he deserve where he's ended up?
2.) Should the government pay for him so he can have the same lifestyle as I do?
3.) Is this what you consider poverty?
4.) What do we do about the millions of people who fit this description?
D. C. Bear
BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Booray said:

william said:

Social Security is 24%.

Shame.
Quit whining. If I wanted to call you an idiot, I would.

More than half of federal spending is for social safety net programs. This is not really a debatable point. You are incorrect to argue otherwise.
Waco1947
ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

CHP Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

BearN said:

This is the Land of Opportunity. Not the Land of Meritocracy.

It oftentimes takes multiple generations of hard work and sacrifice in a family before reaching a certain socioeconomic status. That was certainly true in my family. Many of the people on this board had grandparents that were dirt poor starting families during the Great Depression. There was no Food Stamps. No Social Security. No Free Handouts. College wasn't even something they could afford to dream about. Many of them couldn't even go to high school.

Until they publish a study where they track a generation busting their ass working 60+ hours a week so that they can save enough to send their kids to college, make good grades, and bust their ass 60+ hours a week to send those kids to college, I don't want to hear about it.

Anybody who thinks life is always fair is in for a life of disappointment.
Are you black?
Are there blacks who have achieved success via busting their ars and going down the road less traveled?
Yes, of course but you removed context. I was born in '47 in a segregated south to Methodist parents and a colleges educated. A black man born the same day in '47 to black parents in a segregated South to 8th grade educated parents faired much differently than me and not as well.
Merit had nothing to with my rise in life. I was born on 3rd base. The black man racing to first to avoid being thrown out. I had better shot at success. Is that so hard for you to see?

So really, this is just about you and your generation being racist.... now I get it.

The rest of us were born decades later, when blacks didn't face horrible racists like yourself and your parents. Minority kids born in my neighborhood have gone on to become surgeons, attorneys, businessmen, and politicians.

The old racism is just that... old. Stop trying to make everyone else pay for the mistakes of your generation. We have moved on... you should try it.
No you don't get it. See the latest on the Border Patrol Facebook crap.
And No we have not moved on.
We elected a racist. Birtherism = racism. We have not moved on. You are still defending racism.
Waco1947
D. C. Bear
Waco1947 said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

CHP Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

BearN said:

It oftentimes takes multiple generations of hard work and sacrifice in a family before reaching a certain socioeconomic status. That was certainly true in my family. Many of the people on this board had grandparents that were dirt poor starting families during the Great Depression. There was no Food Stamps. No Social Security. No Free Handouts. College wasn't even something they could afford to dream about. Many of them couldn't even go to high school.

Until they publish a study where they track a generation busting their ass working 60+ hours a week so that they can save enough to send their kids to college, make good grades, and bust their ass 60+ hours a week to send those kids to college, I don't want to hear about it.

Are you black?
Are there blacks who have achieved success via busting their ars and going down the road less traveled?
Yes, of course but you removed context. I was born in '47 in a segregated south to Methodist parents and a colleges educated. A black man born the same day in '47 to black parents in a segregated South to 8th grade educated parents faired much differently than me and not as well.
Merit had nothing to with my rise in life. I was born on 3rd base. The black man racing to first to avoid being thrown out. I had better shot at success. Is that so hard for you to see?

So really, this is just about you and your generation being racist.... now I get it.

The rest of us were born decades later, when blacks didn't face horrible racists like yourself and your parents. Minority kids born in my neighborhood have gone on to become surgeons, attorneys, businessmen, and politicians.

The old racism is just that... old. Stop trying to make everyone else pay for the mistakes of your generation. We have moved on... you should try it.
We elected a racist. Birtherism = racism. We have not moved on. You are still defending racism.
We have not arrived, but to say that we have not moved on from the time of your birth is an insult to all those whose efforts moved us, as a country, much farther down the path of treating African Americans as equal citizens.
ShooterTX
Waco1947 said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

CHP Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

BearN said:

Are you black?

Now you are making stuff up again.
When did I ever defend racism?
Florda_mike
D. C. Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

ShooterTX said:

BrooksBearLives said:

OldBurlyBear86 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Booray said:

william said:

Social Security is 24%.

Shame.
Quit whining. If I wanted to call you an idiot, I would.

More than half of federal spending is for social safety net programs. This is not really a debatable point. You are incorrect to argue otherwise.

I've known BBL to pick up his toys and leave when he's beat

Perhaps this will be another instance of such?
GrowlTowel
Waco1947 said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

CHP Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

BearN said:

Are you black?

Obama was a racist. You are a racist. You are the Democrat, the party of racists, slavery, Jim Crow, and abortion. You kill. You enslave.

You defend racism because it gives you pleasure and power.

Pure evil.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Florda_mike
GrowlTowel said:

Waco1947 said:

ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

CHP Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

BearN said:

Are you black?

Obama was a racist. You are a racist. You are the Democrat, the party of racists, slavery, Jim Crow, and abortion. You kill. You enslave.

You defend racism because it gives you pleasure and power.

Pure evil.

Amen brother

You get Waco
curtpenn
ShooterTX said:

Waco1947 said:

CHP Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

BearN said:

Are you black?

Interesting data re percentage of population with college educations going back to 1940. Shooter, you are exactly right. 47 having 2 parents with college degrees in 47 is comparatively unusual/rare. Probably skews all of his thinking. FWIW, I was born in '55 and I am the first male in my line with a college degree. Basically working class background. Not feeling the privilege.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/184272/educational-attainment-of-college-diploma-or-higher-by-gender/
BrooksBearLives
bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

The very first response to the OP asked you a question that you have yet to answer. I have asked you several questions in good faith that you have refused to answer. I don't throw insults. I respond with courtesy and questions that I'm genuinely interested in your answers to. You just continue to avoid decent questions from myself and other throughout this thread.

You criticizing anyone for acting in bad faith in dialogue in this thread is a joke.

Done with this thread. I sincerely hope you don't respond like this when defending your dissertation and someone actually asks you a question.
This is just like the global warming arguments.

"There is a HORRIBLE problem and you are it"
"Okay, what do you recommend?"
"Bad Faith, non-serious response!!! Just trust me"
"Well, I'd like to know what you propose, the cost and look at possible consequences, intended and unintended."
"Didn't you read the OP? There is a HORRIBLE problem! You are an idiot"

Responding is a waste of time
Exactly.

This is nothing more than an attempt to justify the idea that anyone who is successful, has done so through illegitimate means. That way, fewer people will object when they push for government enforced redistribution of wealth.

You're strangely self-centered on this.

You can't get over this idea that you're not perfect. Or that you have had some luck in your life.

That's fine. I mean, there are people who think the holocaust was a hoax and the earth is flat. Facts don't give a **** about your feelings.

But while you cry and whine and rub your bruised ego reality moves on.

Sorry, dude.
I will regretfully jump back in here, and remind you of some of my previous posts on this subject. I'm the first to admit I've had some good fortune (born to a loving family, high IQ, community that established an expectation of hard work and success, able bodied, etc etc etc). My question to you is "So the hell what?" You keep talking about "removing barriers" and yet you've done nothing to explain what on earth that means.

New flash: Life isn't "fair." I know that offends your delicate millenial sensibilities, but it is a FACT (your favorite word). Not everyone will be born with the same intellect. Your posts on this thread and others make that abundantly clear. Not everyone will be born to the same kinds of supportive families. Not everyone will be born into the same financial setting. Not everyone will be born with the same vices or sin proclivities. Deal with it.

Acting like we have to some how magically "even the playing field" is an absolutely absurd and fairy land concept. It is typical of people like you to stomp their feet and demand we "do something" to make it so (without offering up any clue of what or how). I realize you want to live in Hogwarts or somesuch, but there aren't any magic wands in the real world. MAKE THE BEST OF THE HAND YOU'VE BEEN DEALT. In our country, people have the ability to do exactly that, and it's why people have flocked here for two centuries plus. But this notion of making things "fair" is something only a kindergartener or a member of today's leftist academia would espouse. It's nonsense. You can't make people the same IQ. You can't make them come from the same support network. Etc. So you can stop with this crap unless you have a real suggestion or solution to actually discuss. Just saying "life's not fair!" is gonna get you nothing but a Captain Obvious gif.

So glad you decided to wade in and remind me how important it is to always do the readings.

1. I'm glad you're admitting to the central premise that our society isn't built on any sort of fairness. If it was, merit would matter.

2. No one is saying everything should be equal. I have no idea where you're getting this from. I have stated this over and over and over again.

We're not talking about making everyone walk. We're talking about ramps for those who can't. (That's an example and an analogy, I know you have trouble following along sometimes).

I agree we should make the most of the hand we've been dealt. We're just arguing that the hand many are dealt isn't fair (you've agreed to that). We just think it's possible to make the odds better for everyone as opposed to just a few.

Otherwise, you're left playing a game all by yourself because no one else has the money to ante up.
Doc Holliday
BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

The very first response to the OP asked you a question that you have yet to answer. I have asked you several questions in good faith that you have refused to answer. I don't throw insults. I respond with courtesy and questions that I'm genuinely interested in your answers to. You just continue to avoid decent questions from myself and other throughout this thread.

You criticizing anyone for acting in bad faith in dialogue in this thread is a joke.

Done with this thread. I sincerely hope you don't respond like this when defending your dissertation and someone actually asks you a question.

"Well, I'd like to know what you propose, the cost and look at possible consequences, intended and unintended."

Exactly.

This is nothing more than an attempt to justify the idea that anyone who is successful, has done so through illegitimate means. That way, fewer people will object when they push for government enforced redistribution of wealth.

You can't get over this idea that you're not perfect. Or that you have had some luck in your life.

That's fine. I mean, there are people who think the holocaust was a hoax and the earth is flat. Facts don't give a **** about your feelings.

Sorry, dude.
I will regretfully jump back in here, and remind you of some of my previous posts on this subject. I'm the first to admit I've had some good fortune (born to a loving family, high IQ, community that established an expectation of hard work and success, able bodied, etc etc etc). My question to you is "So the hell what?" You keep talking about "removing barriers" and yet you've done nothing to explain what on earth that means.

New flash: Life isn't "fair." I know that offends your delicate millenial sensibilities, but it is a FACT (your favorite word). Not everyone will be born with the same intellect. Your posts on this thread and others make that abundantly clear. Not everyone will be born to the same kinds of supportive families. Not everyone will be born into the same financial setting. Not everyone will be born with the same vices or sin proclivities. Deal with it.

Acting like we have to some how magically "even the playing field" is an absolutely absurd and fairy land concept. It is typical of people like you to stomp their feet and demand we "do something" to make it so (without offering up any clue of what or how). I realize you want to live in Hogwarts or somesuch, but there aren't any magic wands in the real world. MAKE THE BEST OF THE HAND YOU'VE BEEN DEALT. In our country, people have the ability to do exactly that, and it's why people have flocked here for two centuries plus. But this notion of making things "fair" is something only a kindergartener or a member of today's leftist academia would espouse. It's nonsense. You can't make people the same IQ. You can't make them come from the same support network. Etc. So you can stop with this crap unless you have a real suggestion or solution to actually discuss. Just saying "life's not fair!" is gonna get you nothing but a Captain Obvious gif.

So glad you decided to wade in and remind me how important it is to always do the readings.

1. I'm glad you're admitting to the central premise that our society isn't built on any sort of fairness. If it was, merit would matter.

2. No one is saying everything should be equal. I have no idea where you're getting this from. I have stated this over and over and over again.

We're not talking about making everyone walk. We're talking about ramps for those who can't. (That's an example and an analogy, I know you have trouble following along sometimes).

I agree we should make the most of the hand we've been dealt. We're just arguing that the hand many are dealt isn't fair (you've agreed to that). We just think it's possible to make the odds better for everyone as opposed to just a few.

Otherwise, you're left playing a game all by yourself because no one else has the money to ante up.
I just straight up don't believe you.

I think you're trying to make a case for wealth redistribution with moral arguments and you're having to beat around the bush to not actively admit it.

14 pages in and you have no solutions. It's just you *****ing about how life isn't fair. You want us to agree that the playing field needs to be leveled: you just won't admit that your preferred method is increased government and heavy taxes.
BrooksBearLives
Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

Exactly.

Sorry, dude.

I think you're trying to make a case for wealth redistribution with moral arguments and you're having to beat around the bush to not actively admit it.

14 pages in and you have no solutions. It's just you *****ing about how life isn't fair. You want us to agree that the playing field needs to be leveled: you just won't admit that your preferred method is increased government and heavy taxes.

That's a bold-faced lie.

Ives shared solutions.

But it doesn't matter. Because 1. YOU DONT HAVE FO HAVE A SOLUTION FOR THERE TO BE A PROBLEM. And 2. You just want to be able to attack any solutions because you can't attack the fact there is a problem.

You've argued so poorly and in such bad faith, you're grasping at straws to try and win a conversation that you can't win (because there is no "winning").

It's a conversation. And the facts are that there IS a problem. But you won't even admit what is in front of your face.
Waco1947
Here's your process works for how to own a lib, by the current logic: First, you say something that "triggers the libs"; then, when they make clear that they're triggered, you mock them; then, by virtue of your mockery, you own them. What you choose to do with the libs you own is irrelevant; mere pride of ownership is the important thing.
Victory over the Left isn't enhanced by nasty behavior meant to elicit tears; it's enhanced only by defeating arguments while using the minimum necessary force.
There's a feeling of turnabout as fair play that's driving much of this. After decades of sneering from Hollywood and contempt from Democrats, Republicans feel a certain surge of primal joy at watching leftists get angry. We felt this way when Jon Stewart mocked us; now we'll mock them. That's understandable. But the question isn't whether to anger the Left it's how. Haley suggests that solid argumentation is the best way, since it promotes the possibility that the good-hearted liberal may change his or her mind, even if it angers hard-core leftists. A solid base of Trump supporters believes that good-hearted liberals are in short supply, and that we might as well have fun watching heads explode. I'm no stranger to the rhetoric of lib ownership; my website, Daily Wire, offers "LEFTIST TEARS (hot or cold)" tumblers with an annual subscription. But I do fear that if the tumbler fills due solely to "triggering" behavior, actual aggregate ownership of libs will decline, not rise. Victory over the Left isn't enhanced by nasty behavior meant to elicit tears; it's enhanced only by defeating arguments while using the minimum necessary force. That doesn't mean running away from arguments it means making them. "Triggering" requires little skill or knowledge. Argumentative victory requires both.
That's why triggering and memory are so popular these days. They're fun and easy (and hell, I'd be a hypocrite not to note that I occasionally stray into this territory when I believe the extremism of the Left simply requires mockery). It's a shortcut to watching the frustration of your enemies made manifest.
But there are two types of political frustration. The first earns ire and backlash; the second earns apathy and backtracking. Only the second is worth earning. Jon Stewart, for all the groans of annoyance he caused among right-wingers, brought frustration of the first kind: He helped drive angry Republicans to the polls, where they won sweeping victories over Democrats in Congress and in the states and, finally, in a presidential election. Ronald Reagan brought frustration of the second type to Democrats: a feeling of resigned futility that led to massive electoral defeats for Democrats.

President Trump is closer to Stewart than Reagan. Democrats aren't enervated. They're excited. They're enraged. And those who focus on Trump's unending ability to "own the libs" might find, to their great regret, that he's merely renting the libs and that when the bill comes due, there will be a comeuppance.

BEN SHAPIRO Ben Shapiro is the editor in chief of the Daily Wire. @benshapiro

Waco1947
Doc Holliday
BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

Exactly.

Sorry, dude.

That's a bold-faced lie.

Ives shared solutions.

But it doesn't matter. Because 1. YOU DONT HAVE FO HAVE A SOLUTION FOR THERE TO BE A PROBLEM. And 2. You just want to be able to attack any solutions because you can't attack the fact there is a problem.

You've argued so poorly and in such bad faith, you're grasping at straws to try and win a conversation that you can't win (because there is no "winning").

It's a conversation. And the facts are that there IS a problem. But you won't even admit what is in front of your face.
Share a solution that doesn't cost me money. GO.
BrooksBearLives
Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

Exactly.

Sorry, dude.

That's a bold-faced lie.

Ives shared solutions.

Whoa. Still waiting on the taxes Obama raised on you.

You think EVERY dime spent will cost you money (it doesn't). Your premise is loaded.
Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

Exactly.

Sorry, dude.

That's a bold-faced lie.

Ives shared solutions.

You think EVERY dime spent will cost you money (it doesn't). Your premise is loaded.

^^^ This is how a democrat answers a question

He asks another question
ShooterTX
Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

Exactly.

Sorry, dude.

That's a bold-faced lie.

Ives shared solutions.

He asks another question

My favorite is when they ignore all of your points & questions, and just say "You're name calling! WAH WAH WAH" Then a little later they accuse you of not responding to their insane questions about the emotions they assigned to you (Example: Why are you so angry all the time?).

BBL and Waco are just fools, who have no ideal how the real world works. Actually, in Wacos case, he thinks the world is still stuck in rural, racist, democrat Texas of the 1940s... so maybe it is just dementia... hard to say.
Doc Holliday
BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

Exactly.

Sorry, dude.

That's a bold-faced lie.

Ives shared solutions.

Ok so share a solution that doesn't cost me money.
Florda_mike
Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

Exactly.

Sorry, dude.

That's a bold-faced lie.

Ives shared solutions.

D. C. Bear
Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

Exactly.

Sorry, dude.

That's a bold-faced lie.

Ives shared solutions.

There are some solutions to better education that wouldn't necessarily cost us more money. What problems do you want solutions for?

Do you see "uneven distribution of wealth" as a huge problem? Warren Buffet is really rich. Ballpark 90 billion. How does him having 90 billion affect me negatively in any way? If we confiscated all his money and Robin Hooded it to everyone in the United States, we would get about $270 each. We would spend it or save it or give it away within a month. There would be one less rich guy. So what?
D. C. Bear
BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

Exactly.

Sorry, dude.

1. Our society is built on fairness, and merit does matter.
BrooksBearLives
ShooterTX said:

Florda_mike said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

Exactly.

Sorry, dude.

That's a bold-faced lie.

Ives shared solutions.

He asks another question

My favorite is when they ignore all of your points & questions, and just say "You're name calling! WAH WAH WAH" Then a little later they accuse you of not responding to their insane questions about the emotions they assigned to you (Example: Why are you so angry all the time?).

BBL and Waco are just fools, who have no ideal how the real world works. Actually, in Wacos case, he thinks the world is still stuck in rural, racist, democrat Texas of the 1940s... so maybe it is just dementia... hard to say.

Lol. Aaaaaaam back to the insults and ad hominem attacks.

You're consistent.
BrooksBearLives
D. C. Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

Exactly.

Sorry, dude.

You're adorable.

Show your facts. Back it up.
Waco1947
Yes he is. Insults is all he's got yet claims to follow God's will.
Waco1947
D. C. Bear
BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

Exactly.

Sorry, dude.

You're adorable.

The right to speak, the right to vote, the right to practice one's religious faith without government into, the right to petition government, the right to a jury trial, the right to equal treatment under law, the right to property: All of these and more form the building blocks of our society and all are based on a notion of fundamental fairness. This is not to say that we have a perfect society, but the notion that our society is not built on "fairness" is absurd.

If merit means that the person who works hard and makes a few key good decisions will tend to be more successful in society than if he or she did not work hard and make a few key good decisions, merit matters.

If one believes that "merit" is appropriately measured by math scores in kindergarten (and there are all kinds of problems with that), it is important to ask whether a higher score leads to more success later on compared with a lower score among similar groups. If a high scoring kindergartner (a proxy for "merit") in a poor school has a better shot at a college education (a proxy for "success") than a low scoring kindergartener in the same school, then merit matters.
BrooksBearLives
D. C. Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

Exactly.

Sorry, dude.

You're adorable.

The right to speak, the right to vote, the right to practice one's religious faith without government into, the right to petition government, the right to a jury trial, the right to equal treatment under law, the right to property: All of these and more form the building blocks of our society and all are based on a notion of fundamental fairness. This is not to say that we have a perfect society, but the notion that our society is not built on "fairness" is absurd.

If merit means that the person who works hard and makes a few key good decisions will tend to be more successful in society than if he or she did not work hard and make a few key good decisions, merit matters.

If one believes that "merit" is appropriately measured by math scores in kindergarten (and there are all kinds of problems with that), it is important to ask whether a higher score leads to more success later on compared with a lower score among similar groups. If a high scoring kindergartner (a proxy for "merit") in a poor school has a better shot at a college education (a proxy for "success") than a low scoring kindergartener in the same school, then merit matters.

Opinions and aspersions.

I need facts. Figures. Something other than your hopes and dreams.

Let me be clear. I have no faith in you. You have proven, time and again, to be more than happy to argue points in bad faith that you know are either false, or don't care to verify.

I would love to take you seriously, but you haven't earned it.
D. C. Bear
BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

D. C. Bear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

bearassnekkid said:

BrooksBearLives said:

ShooterTX said:

Osodecentx said:

90sBear said:

Exactly.

Sorry, dude.

You're adorable.

Opinions and aspersions.

I need facts. Figures. Something other than your hopes and dreams.

Let me be clear. I have no faith in you. You have proven, time and again, to be more than happy to argue points in bad faith that you know are either false, or don't care to verify.

I would love to take you seriously, but you haven't earned it.
Let me know when you have a substantive response.
Waco1947
I think BBL said "You go first with seriousness" because so far you argue in bad faith.
Waco1947
D. C. Bear
Waco1947 said:

I think BBL said "You go first with seriousness" because so far you argue in bad faith.
I've made a couple of points. I will repeat them here. They stand in opposition to his claims. When he has a substantive response, he can respond. He probably doesn't need your help, but you are also welcome to respond if you have something substantive.

1. Our society, imperfect though it is, is based in fairness. This is supported by an analysis of our form of government and its history.

2. It is also true that "merit," whether defined by innate ability or hard work or both, matters. Whether you were born on third base, first base or outside the stadium, hard work and innate ability matters in influencing how far you might go in American society.
Waco1947
D. C. Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

I've made a couple of points. I will repeat them here. They stand in opposition to his claims. When he has a substantive response, he can respond. He probably doesn't need your help, but you are also welcome to respond if you have something substantive.

1. Our society, imperfect though it is, is based in fairness. This is supported by an analysis of our form of government and its history.

2. It is also true that "merit," whether defined by innate ability or hard work or both, matters. Whether you were born on third base, first base or outside the stadium, hard work and innate ability matters in influencing how far you might go in American society.

"Based in fairness". True but that ideal is hardly lived out with regards to race
Born outside the stadium means you don't have the access to the education and resources that severely limit progress regardless of innate ability.
Doors opened for me not on merit but skin color, patents and place of birth. That's not true of every kid.
Our job? Give every kid the opportunity of quality education n
Waco1947

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.