Coronavirus updates here

415,241 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trump has argued that part of the reason for his delay in reacting to Rona was the distraction of impeachment.

Guy just posted a tweet every seven and a half minutes for a stretch of sixteen hours. I think he knows how to focus...
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Oldbear83
quash said:

Trump has argued that part of the reason for his delay in reacting to Rona was the distraction of impeachment.

Guy just posted a tweet every seven and a half minutes for a stretch of sixteen hours. I think he knows how to focus...
Well, we know the Democrats were completely ignoring the virus until at least late February.

So I'm curious why you obsess on Trump when he got a few things right in January.
Jacques Strap
https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020/05/12/Most-Americans-stayed-home-before-government-COVID-19-mandates/6021589290003/?sl=5

Most Americans stayed home before government COVID-19 mandates

Quote:

Most Americans voluntarily stayed at home during the early days of the COVID-19 tsunami, before states began issuing official "shelter-in-place" orders, new research indicates.

Mitch Blood Green
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/12/854431546/wuhan-to-test-all-residents-after-new-coronavirus-cases-emerge
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Well, we know the Democrats were completely ignoring the virus until at least late February.

So I'm curious why you obsess on Trump when he got a few things right in January.
What definition of "obsess" applies here? You reply to my posts far more often than I mention Trump, so plainly your definition would exclude your obsession with me. Let's see it.

And way to skate right by the obvious: a 16 hour tweetstorm. Talk about TDS...
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
Jacques Strap said:

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020/05/12/Most-Americans-stayed-home-before-government-COVID-19-mandates/6021589290003/?sl=5

Most Americans stayed home before government COVID-19 mandates

Quote:

Most Americans voluntarily stayed at home during the early days of the COVID-19 tsunami, before states began issuing official "shelter-in-place" orders, new research indicates.

And many are staying home after reopenings. Texas could have done without Gov. Abbott's overbroad order.
riflebear
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

What definition of "obsess" applies here? You reply to my posts far more often than I mention Trump, so plainly your definition would exclude your obsession with me. Let's see it.

Evasion by quash. As expected
Sam Lowry
Booray said:

We have entered the wack-a-mole phase, trying to beat hot spots wherever the pop up.
Yes. Here's the interesting thing, and I say this with all due respect to ATL because I appreciate his effort to focus on the data. Until lately the national numbers have been downplayed because they were so heavily influenced by New York and the other usual suspects. Now that the trend in New York is reversing, the emphasis is on the improved national numbers, even though they're still largely driven by the same factors. First the hotspots didn't count, and now they do. When the next one pops up, will it be downplayed again? Instead of "no problem, it's just New York," will it be "no problem, it's just [fill in the blank]?" How many times will this cycle be repeated before we see what we're dealing with?
Jacques Strap
Booray
Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

We have entered the wack-a-mole phase, trying to beat hot spots wherever the pop up.
Yes. Here's the interesting thing, and I say this with all due respect to ATL because I appreciate his effort to focus on the data. Until lately the national numbers have been downplayed because they were so heavily influenced by New York and the other usual suspects. Now that the trend in New York is reversing, the emphasis is on the improved national numbers, even though they're still largely driven by the same factors. First the hotspots didn't count, and now they do. When the next one pops up, will it be downplayed again? Instead of "no problem, it's just New York," will it be "no problem, it's just [fill in the blank]?" How many times will this cycle be repeated before we see what we're dealing with?
Until we have a vaccine and/or effective early treatment or until {fill in the blank} includes your zip code.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

New York still leads the way except for occasional days, just so we're clear on the data. New Jersey spiked into first for a few days then waned, then Philly PA, now Chicago, but NY has delivered bad results consistently.
Booray
I think Sam's point is that outside of New York we are seeing increasing cases nationwide. I think your point is that those increases are not exponential and are manageable.

Sam Lowry
Booray said:

I think Sam's point is that outside of New York we are seeing increasing cases nationwide. I think your point is that those increases are not exponential and are manageable.

So far.
Aliceinbubbleland
The airline industry is cranking up faster than expected. I've seen many statements from execs at the four major airlines that they do not expect recovery for many months, if not years. However the number of traveling passengers is rapidly growing. We will see if the virus follows.
ATL Bear
Booray said:

Understand. My point is even if we see some spikes, they are modest overall. Our case numbers are down by 30%-50% from April peaks including the occasional Non-NY spike. Even yesterday was an aberration jump from just 18k-22k. We're back down today to our downward 18k trend.

We were consistently running in the 30k+ range for a significant period of time in April with our peak on April 24 at 37k. During this time NY was the biggest contributor as they were running 10-15k cases a day. They've seen a precipitous drop that has helped our overall numbers, but they still are the top producer. Fortunately no one is taking up their slack, and case numbers are manageable. I also figured out that catch up reporting occurs on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for whatever reason. But when averaged out it's a beautiful downward incline. And let's not forget that this is during a huge uptick in testing, meaning the opportunity for case growth is increasing. Death numbers are even on a better trend path as we're below 50% of where we were.

Bottom line, there is reason for optimism.
Jacques Strap
Now that the Govenors of NY, PA and NJ are no longer sentencing elderly to death by forcing COVID into nursing homes the numbers are dropping.
nein51
Aliceinbubbleland said:

The airline industry is cranking up faster than expected. I've seen many statements from execs at the four major airlines that they do not expect recovery for many months, if not years. However the number of traveling passengers is rapidly growing. We will see if the virus follows.

They will never recover. You're likely to see one or more go bankrupt in the next 12-18 months. Traveler traffic was down around 90% per day for weeks on end. The companies that repair those planes have damn near everyone laid off. I was just at the repair terminal yesterday. It's a ghost town for people but holeeeeeeeeee crap are there a lot of grounded planes
Jacques Strap
Mastercard Sees Progress on Spending as U.S. Eases Crisis Rules

(Bloomberg) Mastercard Inc. is starting to see signs of improvement in U.S. consumer spending as cities and states ease restrictions on social distancing.

So-called switched volume -- payments that the company authorizes, clears and settles -- declined 6% in the week ended May 7 from the same period a year ago, Mastercard said Wednesday in a statement. That's an improvement from the 22% decline in the week ended April 7.

The company has been tracking the pandemic and its impact on consumer spending through what it calls four distinct phases: containment, stabilization, normalization and growth.

"We are starting to see the transition from the stabilization phase to the normalization phase in some markets, although it is very early days," Mastercard said. The "normalization" phase occurs when social-distancing restrictions are relaxed, the company said.

Cross-border spending has remained muted as consumers around the world abandon travel plans and companies suspend business trips. Such spending is key for Mastercard and rival Visa Inc. because overseas transactions are among their most profitable.

Jacques Strap
Forbes

Fannie, Freddie Announce Mortgage Deferral Program For Homeowners Impacted By COVID-19

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have announced additional relief options for homeowners struggling due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to announcements from the two companies this afternoon, homeowners in forbearance can now request payment deferrals as early as July 1. This allows any missed payments to be made up at the end of the loan's term, without any penalty or added interest.

The companies previously announced a plan to allow homeowners up to 12 months of forbearanceessentially letting anyone impacted by COVID-19 pause their mortgage payments for a full year. What would happen once that forbearance period ran out, though, was up in the air.

Now, there's a clear option in place. As soon as homeowners are able to resume their normal monthly payments, they can reinstate their mortgage and enter a payment deferral program, making up their missed payments years or even decades down the road when the home is sold or refinanced.

Other options exist, too. Homeowners can also settle up on their missed balance in full, if they're able to, or they can set up a repayment plan to gradually catch up over time. Loan modifications, which change the terms of the original loan agreement, are also a possibility depending on the borrower's situation.

Here's how Fannie Mae explains the program: "Homeowners can resume their regular monthly mortgage payment after up to 12 months of missed payments, and the missed payments are deferredor movedto the end of the loan term. This option is for homeowners who have completed a COVID-19 related forbearance plan and are able to continue making their full monthly contractual payment but cannot afford full reinstatement or a repayment plan to bring their mortgage loan current."
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

You and your dictionary That was a straight up denial.

Now, about the tweetstorm you won't address.
quash
Jacques Strap said:

Loan modifications, which change the terms of the original loan agreement, are also a possibility depending on the borrower's situation.
I've been doing these out the wazzoo: pushing three current payments out to the end of the note. The adjusted principal is increased by the deferred interest and escrow.
Jacques Strap
quash said:

Jacques Strap said:

Loan modifications, which change the terms of the original loan agreement, are also a possibility depending on the borrower's situation.
I've been doing these out the wazzoo: pushing three current payments out to the end of the note. The adjusted principal is increased by the deferred interest and escrow.
Did not know that. Thanks +1 for the inside baseball intel.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

I address relevant and pertinent posts.

Your posts are flies looking for carrion, quash.
Jacques Strap
GEORGIA UPDATE

https://ewerickson.substack.com/p/where-does-brian-kemp-go-for-an-apology

On April 20, 2020, Georgia Governor Brian Kemp became one of the first governors in America to announce plans to reopen his state. He had been one of the last to impose a shelter-in-place order. Critics had blasted him for waiting so long. He did not impose shelter-in-place until the beginning of April.

Between April 20 and May 1, a recurring trending "hashtag" on Twitter was "KempHasBloodOnHisHands." Democrat politicians and others assailed Kemp, claiming people were going to die because of him. We are more than three weeks from this tweet:

Ron Fournier, formerly of the Associated Press, was not alone in that sentiment. Stacey Abrams took to MSNBC to blast Brian Kemp. President Trump criticized him for reopening saying he "strongly disagreed" with Kemp. The Atlantic ran a hysterically themed article that Georgia was experimenting in human sacrifice. The subtitle of the piece was, "The state is about to find out how many people need to lose their lives to shore up the economy."

We are now not just into the fourth week since Brian Kemp said the state could reopen and fourteen days past the shelter-in-place order expired, we are now past the last major revision of the IHME model, which happened yesterday.

The IHME model is the most widely cited and relied upon model for COVID-19. The White House and Georgia's Governor rely on it. On May 12, the IHME model predicted Georgia would still have hundreds of daily new cases into August and would have 1,783 daily new cases on June 12, 2020.

Yesterday, the IHME model updated and the update was significant. Georgia is now expected to have no cases of the virus by August and only 367 new daily cases on June 12.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/georgia
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Sure thing, Buzz.
Jacques Strap
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32437841/us-automakers-returning-to-production/

• Shortly after automakers paused production in mid-March due to the COVID-19 pandemic, they began looking for dates that they could restart.
  • Automakers are now restarting or will restart plants in the coming weeks.
  • To keep workers safe and to prevent an outbreak of the virus among employees, the automakers have implemented protocols such as wearing masks, taking temperatures, social distancing, and deep cleaning of facilities.
Jacques Strap
Tennessee
https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/tennessee

IHME now projecting zero deaths per day my mid-June. I think the model is and has always been garbage but zero is closer to reality (5.5 deaths per day the last 30 days) that the projections in March for total disaster and an overwhelmed hospital system.

Population 6.9 million
~25,000 hospital beds in the state
to date 1,435 people hospitalized at some point in time

287 COVID deaths
477,282 jobless claims since March 14, 2020
Avg. age of COVID victim in TN >= life expectance of 76.4 years in Tennessee.
Osodecentx
Jacques Strap said:

Tennessee

IHME now projecting zero deaths per day my mid-June. I think the model is and has always been garbage but zero is closer to reality (5.5 deaths per day the last 30 days) that the projections in March for total disaster and an overwhelmed hospital system.

Population 6.9 million

287 COVID deaths

I expect the number of cases in Texas to go up when we reopen. Our cases have gone up.
I expect the same thing in Georgia, but it seems not to be happening at this time.

I can't explain the different results in the 2 states that appear to be doing very similar things.

Do you have any ideas?
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Sure thing, Buzz.
Mr. Aldrin says nice of you to compare me to him.
Jacques Strap
Osodecentx said:

Jacques Strap said:

Tennessee

Population 6.9 million

287 COVID deaths

I expect the number of cases in Texas to go up when we reopen. Our cases have gone up.
I expect the same thing in Georgia, but it seems not to be happening at this time.

I can't explain the different results in the 2 states that appear to be doing very similar things.

Do you have any ideas?
No idea really. Testing maybe? Population density in Dallas & Houston versus Atlanta?

Tennessee opened two weeks ago. Barbers, bars, restaurants, gyms, tattoo parlors are all open with capacity restrictions. Some nail salons but not all counties. Churches open May 24 with capacity restrictions

Smaller cities in TN than Texas and Georgia (Memphis & Nashville)
Prisons have been hit hardest
People are pretty spread out

Governor in TN has tried VERY hard to keep COVID out of nursing homes. They talk about it all the time. It has made it into a few but they are super focused on protecting at risk populations. Fewer citizens that makes it easier I suppose.
Osodecentx
Jacques Strap said:

Osodecentx said:

Jacques Strap said:

Tennessee

Population 6.9 million

287 COVID deaths

Do you have any ideas?
No idea really. Testing maybe? Population density in Dallas & Houston versus Atlanta?

Tennessee opened two weeks ago. Barbers, bars, restaurants, gyms, tattoo parlors are all open with capacity restrictions. Some nail salons but not all counties. Churches open May 24 with capacity restrictions

Smaller cities in TN than Texas and Georgia (Memphis & Nashville)
Prisons have been hit hardest
People are pretty spread out

Governor in TN has tried VERY hard to keep COVID out of nursing homes. They talk about it all the time. It has made it into a few but they are super focused on protecting at risk populations. Fewer citizens that makes it easier I suppose.
thanks
Jack Bauer
Look at this ****. This NY Times reporter is probably having dreams of President Pelosi!!
What a stupid a** question.

quash
Jack Bauer said:

Look at this ****. This NY Times reporter is probably having dreams of President Pelosi!!
What a stupid a** question.

"Should it be under discussion?"

Does she want to discuss the XXV Amendment? A do-over? ***?
nein51
I think that was her point. There isn't anything to discuss. There's a rule in place. It's actually sort of a stupid question in the first place.
First Page Last Page
Page 68 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.