Coronavirus updates here

435,511 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Containment is a geographical term. We have lost containment.
That is not what containment means in terms of a virus.
It is. That's the difference between an epidemic and a pandemic.

The mortality rate is a whole other issue, and it's not good either.
You are mistaken on that count as well, Sam.

COVID-19 has a much lower mortality rate, for example, than either the SARS virus of 2012 or the MERS virus of 2015. Media exaggeration has, in part, come from bad math caused by invalid assumptions, as reported in the Imperial College of Medicine article I linked to above, plus other sources.

Also, the director of the World Health Organization is already on record saying that 'pandemic' is inaccurate and not helpful in describing the situation. Again, already cited above.
You mean this guy?
Quote:

"Now that the coronavirus has a foothold in so many countries, the threat of a pandemic has become very real," WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a press briefing.

The whole quote, in context:

"It's certainly troubling that so many people and countries have been affected, so quickly.
Now that the virus has a foothold in so many countries, the threat of a pandemic has become very real.
But it would be the first pandemic in history that could be controlled.
The bottom line is: we are not at the mercy of this virus."

"Of the 80,000 reported cases in China, more than 70% have recovered and been discharged.
It's also important to remember that looking only at the total number of reported cases and the total number of countries doesn't tell the full story.
Of all the cases reported globally so far, 93% are from just four countries.
This is an uneven epidemic at the global level."

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---9-march-2020

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/85133

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Forest Bueller_bf
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Unfortunately for the elderly and immunity compromised, it has been pretty bad. Such as the 15 deaths in a single Washington nursing home.

Not sure the age or condition of those in the nursing home but sometimes this can be a blessing. I say this as a couple, one over 80 and one approaching. We have seen lots of loved ones on both sides of the family in hopeless conditions in nursing homes.

I hear you here. "Pneumonia the old persons friend" is an old saying that probably means pretty much what you mention here.

Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

COVID-19 has a much lower mortality rate, for example, than either the SARS virus of 2012 or the MERS virus of 2015. Media exaggeration has, in part, come from bad math caused by invalid assumptions, as reported in the Imperial College of Medicine article I linked to above, plus other sources.

Also, the director of the World Health Organization is already on record saying that 'pandemic' is inaccurate and not helpful in describing the situation. Again, already cited above.
You mean this guy?
Quote:

"Now that the coronavirus has a foothold in so many countries, the threat of a pandemic has become very real," WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a press briefing.

"It's certainly troubling that so many people and countries have been affected, so quickly.
Now that the virus has a foothold in so many countries, the threat of a pandemic has become very real.

"Of the 80,000 reported cases in China, more than 70% have recovered and been discharged.
It's also important to remember that looking only at the total number of reported cases and the total number of countries doesn't tell the full story.

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---9-march-2020

That's why there's still some debate over whether to call it a pandemic: the geographical distribution of the spread.

My only point is that some outbreaks are contained within borders and some are not. This one increasingly appears not to be.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

You mean this guy?
Quote:

That's why there's still some debate over whether to call it a pandemic: the geographical distribution of the spread.

My only point is that some outbreaks are contained within borders and some are not. This one increasingly appears not to be.
As I pointed out earlier Sam, exactly zero viruses have EVER been geographically contained. That's not how the term is used in matters of epidemiology.

You're posting like a Chris Cuomo wanna-be.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

You mean this guy?
Quote:

As I pointed out earlier Sam, exactly zero viruses have EVER been geographically contained. That's not how the term is used in matters of epidemiology.

There's a long list of viral outbreaks that were geographically contained. They're called epidemics.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

You mean this guy?
Quote:

There's a long list of viral outbreaks that were geographically contained. They're called epidemics.
"Epidemic" is how medical professionals are describing COVID-19 right now. They would seem to disagree with you.

And please show me that list, especially viruses in the last 20 years which were kept from moving across borders. I would like to see it.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

You mean this guy?
Quote:

"Epidemic" is how medical professionals are describing COVID-19 right now. They would seem to disagree with you.

And please show me that list, especially viruses in the last 20 years which were kept from moving across borders. I would like to see it.
They're describing it that way for PR reasons, and the description is less tenable by the day. If this were flu it would have been called a pandemic a while ago.

Contained epidemics in the last 20 years include Ebola in the DRC and Congo, Nipah virus and swine flu in India, measles in Vietnam, various outbreaks of dengue fever and yellow fever, etc. Before that there were more instances of the same, as well as smallpox, London flu, and polio, not to mention diseases caused by bacteria and other organisms.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

You mean this guy?
Quote:

They're describing it that way for PR reasons, and the description is less tenable by the day. If this were flu it would have been called a pandemic a while ago.

Contained epidemics in the last 20 years include Ebola in the DRC and Congo, Nipah virus and swine flu in India, measles in Vietnam, various outbreaks of dengue fever and yellow fever, etc. Before that there were more instances of the same, as well as smallpox, London flu, and polio, not to mention diseases caused by bacteria and other organisms.
Ebola was not geographically contained, nor swine flu or any of the others.

Your claim that virus containment refers to geography is false, Sam.
Redbrickbear
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Huangpu_River_dead_pigs_incident

China is a messed up place.
quash
Redbrickbear said:

China didn't Facebook us into a measles outbreak. We did that and it kinda cautions us against criticizing how other countries handle health issues.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

You mean this guy?
Quote:

Ebola was not geographically contained, nor swine flu or any of the others.

Your claim that virus containment refers to geography is false, Sam.
Psh.
Bearitto
quash said:

Redbrickbear said:

China didn't Facebook us into a measles outbreak. We did that and it kinda cautions us against criticizing how other countries handle health issues.

In America, a bunch of moms believe a lie told by a doctor. In China, they snack on disease ridden flying rodents purchased in fly covered wet markets. Not the same thing at all.
curtpenn
TexasScientist said:

Florda_mike said:

TS = religion phobia?
Religion is dangerous.

A silly assertion not worthy of you.
Jack Bauer
Ivy League cancels conference tournament
Jack Bauer
TexasScientist

CHP Bear
Been out all day. Had a great time. Glad handed a number of people. Did notice one individual I shook hands with pick his nose and then sneeze all over everyone. Think I'll call my buddy's tomorrow and see who were the unlucky ones. Couldn't find a roll of toilet paper at the neighborhood market. Hand to rummage through some old magazines in basement. Yep, came across a 1950 Sears & Roebuck Catalog, I hated to, but had too. Sometimes nature can be cruel. There were a few magazines from 1955 with photos of Marilyn Monroe. You know the magazine every man reads for the jokes. Forgot how funny those jokes were. Well was either that or Magnolia Journal. Still got some catalog left over. I'll leave it on the front porch. As for the '55 mag, well there back in the basement. Saving it for a Rainey day. Didn't get too all the jokes. Sorry.
Aliceinbubbleland
Folks in Iowa are safe. Corn cobs.
Astros in Home Stretch Geaux Texans
Florda_mike
Jack Bauer said:

Ivy League cancels conference tournament

Future CIA and FBI employees

"Country first" means eliminating Trump so they pray(no, they're atheists) other league will follow the Ivy and cancel theirs too.

Heck why not cancel MM?

Scary
jupiter
Canada2017
Jack Bauer said:

Seriously respect Bernie for this .

Hate this guy's politics but damn I like his forthrightness .

CHP Bear
Canada2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

I'm thinking, if he loses big today. he'll be suspending more than a rally.
Canada2017
CHP Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Probably......I still like his style.
Aliceinbubbleland
His style? That's amazing considering his all out hand waiving and shouting. He never learned from his 2016 defeat. Instead of trying to find Super Delegates and DNC possible supporters he rallied his troops, the too young to give politics a thought. They failed to show up for Bernie.

Bernie had some good thoughts. No CEO is worth the obscene pay the S&P 500 guys get. I do think he would have replaced a lot of corrupt practices, if that's possible at this time in our corrupt D.C.. Otherwise his free for all for everything was a dud and rightfully so.

The only thing I like about Bernie was he, not Trump, defeated Hillary.

AOC will be the standard bearer to carry on the progressive torch.
Astros in Home Stretch Geaux Texans
CHP Bear
Canada2017 said:

CHP Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Probably......I still like his style.
One trait I like thing about The Burn, you know where he stands. I appreciate that in a politician. My vote could not support his philosophies but he has not strayed off message. As for Plugs, he reminds me of the Indian adage, "speaks with forked tongue." Biden could survive a hurricane in Florida. He bends in any direction the wind blows. His campaign promises Arpege but will give us Drainage Canal.
Canada2017
Aliceinbubbleland said:

His style? That's amazing considering his all out hand waiving and shouting. He never learned from his 2016 defeat. Instead of trying to find Super Delegates and DNC possible supporters he rallied his troops, the too young to give politics a thought. They failed to show up for Bernie.

Bernie had some good thoughts. No CEO is worth the obscene pay the S&P 500 guys get. I do think he would have replaced a lot of corrupt practices, if that's possible at this time in our corrupt D.C.. Otherwise his free for all for everything was a dud and rightfully so.

The only thing I like about Bernie was he, not Trump, defeated Hillary.

AOC will be the standard bearer to carry on the progressive torch.

I just like Bernie's honesty ...he plays fewer games than most politicians.

Luv him or hate him...Bernie lays it all out there .

He's probably finished after tonight ...but Bernie certainly has been entertaining.
Osodecentx
Sam Lowry said:

Correct. It's really pretty simple
BaylorBJM
Anyone else watching the Congressional hearing with Dr. Fauci right now? It's not pretty.

Just said a vaccine is still well more than a year away (which almost everyone knew) and right now C19 is approximately 10x more deadly than the seasonal flu.
riflebear
Remember those Chinese protests and how bad they were getting and all the bad press across the globe?

I wonder what would be the best way to stop the protests and get people off the streets?
riflebear
riflebear
It is crazy that China declined our CDC from coming in early to test the strain/virus so they could be better prepared.

riflebear
trey3216
Houston about to announce they're shutting down the Rodeo.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Oldbear83
trey3216 said:

Houston about to announce they're shutting down the Rodeo.
Wouldn't be the first stupid thing Mayor Turner has done.
BaylorTaxman
My daughter goes to Pepperdine. They just announced that all classes will be held remotely for the rest of the semester. All students living on campus must move out by Sunday. We are getting a refund on room and board.
First Page Last Page
Page 13 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.