Coronavirus updates here

435,394 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Isn't the human body the most effective fighter of viruses like this? I know some bodies do it better than others (older vs younger, compromised immune systems, etc.), but given the symptoms and mortality rate of this virus, do we really need to be as frightened as we are? And we'll eventually have a vaccine that will work as poorly as the flu vaccines today do.

I'm not saying there's no reason for concern, but are some of these extreme measures really that necessary?
That doesn't help the severe stroke victim who can't get an ICU bed. Or for another example, I had a child on ECMO a few years ago. There are only about 250 of those machines in the country. If they're all occupied, my kid dies whether he has the virus or not. And while the mortality rate is relatively low compared to some of the worst viruses, it's still much higher than we're accustomed to. We're doing the right thing shutting down as much as we can. Actually we should be doing more.
Oh good hypothetical anecdotes based on emotion.

Always the best way to make policy.

250 is a number, not an emotion. It won't be my child this time, but it will be someone else's.
More drama. You should write for the soap operas, Sam.
This has the potential to overwhelm the capacity of our hospitals to deal with this and the other normal day in day out illness and trauma they are presented. Italy is overwhelmed.
Wait and see, the only thing which will actually overwhelm resources will be panic.

Look, we have been through worse outbreaks before. H1N1 killed over a thousand Americans before President Obama even called an emergency, and we got through that. SARS and MERS are much more deadly than COVID-19, but we got through those too.

I am not dismissing the danger at all, but at the same time it's important not to over-react or feed panic, which is what is happening now.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
LTbear
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Isn't the human body the most effective fighter of viruses like this? I know some bodies do it better than others (older vs younger, compromised immune systems, etc.), but given the symptoms and mortality rate of this virus, do we really need to be as frightened as we are? And we'll eventually have a vaccine that will work as poorly as the flu vaccines today do.

I'm not saying there's no reason for concern, but are some of these extreme measures really that necessary?
That doesn't help the severe stroke victim who can't get an ICU bed. Or for another example, I had a child on ECMO a few years ago. There are only about 250 of those machines in the country. If they're all occupied, my kid dies whether he has the virus or not. And while the mortality rate is relatively low compared to some of the worst viruses, it's still much higher than we're accustomed to. We're doing the right thing shutting down as much as we can. Actually we should be doing more.

250 is a number, not an emotion. It won't be my child this time, but it will be someone else's.
This has the potential to overwhelm the capacity of our hospitals to deal with this and the other normal day in day out illness and trauma they are presented. Italy is overwhelmed.
Wait and see, the only thing which will actually overwhelm resources will be panic.

Look, we have been through worse outbreaks before. H1N1 killed over a thousand Americans before President Obama even called an emergency, and we got through that. SARS and MERS are much more deadly than COVID-19, but we got through those too.

I am not dismissing the danger at all, but at the same time it's important not to over-react or feed panic, which is what is happening now.

The point is not to feed panic but to feed awareness. Too much BS is in the media about how this isn't that serious and as a result, people aren't taking proper precautions. Meanwhile, we are way, way behind where we should be in terms of testing, so we have no idea how many cases already exist. The number is no doubt 10X or more what we officially know about, just because testing is so low (source: my wife and many colleagues, all doctors, some of whom have spent the research period of their career studying pathogen spread, along with the current note from all of them that without testing kits, diagnoses of respiratory syncytial virus have suddenly skyrocketed; that's not coincidence and as you can guess, those cases aren't all RSV).
Oldbear83
LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

The point is not to feed panic but to feed awareness. Too much BS is in the media about how this isn't that serious and as a result, people aren't taking proper precautions. Meanwhile, we are way, way behind where we should be in terms of testing, so we have no idea how many cases already exist. The number is no doubt 10X or more what we officially know about, just because testing is so low (source: my wife and many colleagues, all doctors, some of whom have spent the research period of their career studying pathogen spread, along with the current note from all of them that without testing kits, diagnoses of respiratory syncytial virus have suddenly skyrocketed; that's not coincidence and as you can guess, those cases aren't all RSV).
I strongly disagree, the media are all but screaming their heads off. What's lacking is common sense precautions. Everyone focusing on cancelling public events but no one mentioning that making sure you get your normal flu shot improves your odds against COVID-19, almost no one mentioning that rest and good diet are protections against viral infections. It may sound trite, but all viable options should be discussed.
LTbear
Oldbear83 said:

LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

I strongly disagree, the media are all but screaming their heads off. What's lacking is common sense precautions. Everyone focusing on cancelling public events but no one mentioning that making sure you get your normal flu shot improves your odds against COVID-19, almost no one mentioning that rest and good diet are protections against viral infections. It may sound trite, but all viable options should be discussed.

Fair enough that some media is overplaying some things, but much other media is dangerously downplaying it- like Hannity still insisting this is a cold or flu. I do agree I wish more people mentioned getting your flu shot, mostly because that keeps people who may develop symptoms from a typical flu from taking up space in what might be am overburdened healthcare system.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Ignoring the problem is what leads to panic.The issue is recognizing the reality of the problem and preparing for it. We're woefully behind knowing the true extent in this country, in part, because we didn't timely appreciate the threat,, and the CDC wouldn't use the available WHO test. Tests are just now becoming available. We're behind the curve. The flu shot has no impact on Covid-19, other than to possibly keep you from contracting influenza at the same time. You're correct that a poor diet can compromise your immune system. What Obama did or didn't do in response to H1N1 is irrelevant. This virus has the potential, if unchecked, to kill 300,000 to 500,000 people in the U.S., not to mention associated morbidity and mortality from an over taxed health system in addressing other illnesses. The rate of fatality to cases in Italy is over 6%. It's much higher if you compare fatality to recovered cases. In Italy that number is 63%. If we don't slow the spread of this down in this country, people will die who otherwise would not if they could get hospital care. This is the reality of what we are facing.
Oldbear83
FakeScientist still playing up hysteria, I see.

Osodecentx
Oldbear83 said:

You should consider posting less
Oldbear83
Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Why? Are you triggered?

FakeSci has been posting absolute trash without so much as one link to support it, but you want to whine bc I point to actual fact?
Osodecentx
Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Why? Are you triggered?

FakeSci has been posting absolute trash without so much as one link to support it, but you want to whine bc I point to actual fact?
Scientist has credibility

You have underestimated the effect of coronavirus from the beginning, yet you keep posting.

Scientist was cautious and you attack. In fact, you attack anyone who has a different opinion. A lot of good people misjudged this virus, including me.

A lot of people admitted their mistake. Not you. You should consider posting less
LTbear
Oldbear83 said:

Nothing he said is inherently innacurate. If you don't like the number he posted, note he said of left unchecked. If left unchecked, yes, 0.09% of the population could be in trouble, seeing as that is below the rates seen elsewhere.

Hopefully we can get a handle on it rapidly. My mother is an immuno-compromised (on chemo) senior citizen. Nothing would make me happier to wake up tomorrow to 0 new cases. But that's nothing remotely close to realistic. There are at least 10x as many current cases in the US as the number we know about.
Oldbear83
Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Why? Are you triggered?

You have underestimated the effect of coronavirus from the beginning, yet you keep posting.

Scientist was cautious and you attack. In fact, you attack anyone who has a different opinion. A lot of good people misjudged this virus, including me.

A lot of people admitted their mistake. Not you. You should consider posting less
What a load of BS. Absolutely everything I have posted is accurate and factual.

Meanwhile, TS posts projections of mass carnage based on emotion.

Do you even read the advice of the CDC and NIH? No one with authority is projecting thousands of deaths in the US. The only people saying crap like that have ignored every outbreak before now.
PartyBear
I'm sorry LT is your mother quarantined somewhere in attempts to prevent exposure? I think it is wise for anyone in their 70s or or 80s to take steps like that if at all possible at this point.
Oldbear83
LTBear: "There are at least 10x as many current cases in the US as the number we know about."

I see that claim a lot. What is the basis for it, do you think?

And when you mean cases, are you including asymptomatic cases?
LTbear
Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Why? Are you triggered?

Do you even read the advice of the CDC and NIH? No one with authority is projecting thousands of deaths in the US. The only people saying crap like that have ignored every outbreak before now.

Doctors (both practicing and on the academic research side of things) are predicting thousands of deaths is extremely possible. The CDC saying that to the public serves little purpose. There is a line to walk.
LTbear
Oldbear83 said:

LTBear: "There are at least 10x as many current cases in the US as the number we know about."

In my case that claim is coming from 1) some of the best research epidemiologists in the world, who work down the hall from me and 2) from my wife and her colleagues, who are practicing doctors, and who have seen an extreme spike in respiratory syncytial virus diagnoses, because testing kits are covid aren't available. That spike is not all true RSV, as such a spike has never happened before. It's just that those symptoms overlap with covid, and we can't properly test for covid.
LTbear
PartyBear said:

I'm sorry LT is your mother quarantined somewhere in attempts to prevent exposure? I think it is wise for anyone in their 70s or or 80s to take steps like that if at all possible at this point.

Thanks PB. She's in a tiny little hometown and not at the greatest risk right now, buy unfortunately an interstate runs through so I don't know if the virus won't get there sometime. She just started chemo recently and I very badly want to go be with her to support her, but frankly I'm worried right now that if I've been unknowingly exposed, I'd bring it to her, and I have no way of getting a test. Even if the odds are 1/1,000,000, it makes it a difficult decision to make.
boognish_bear
LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

In my case that claim is coming from 1) some of the best research epidemiologists in the world, who work down the hall from me and 2) from my wife and her colleagues, who are practicing doctors, and who have seen an extreme spike in respiratory syncytial virus diagnoses, because testing kits are covid aren't available. That spike is not all true RSV, as such a spike has never happened before. It's just that those symptoms overlap with covid, and we can't properly test for covid.

I'm hearing the same things from an infectious disease specialist I know who practices at Yale. He forecasts the scope of this as being monumental since it's very likely so many already have it right now but don't know because of a lack of tests.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Why? Are you triggered?

I'm not making predictions. I'm just pointing out the reality of the situation. You need to actually read what I write, instead of reading into what I write. All my facts are current and accurate. The article you posted is out of date and is surpassed by newer relevant facts. Even then, you misread and misinterpreted parts of the article you posted.
Oldbear83
LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Why? Are you triggered?

Doctors (both practicing and on the academic research side of things) are predicting thousands of deaths is extremely possible. The CDC saying that to the public serves little purpose. There is a line to walk.
I have been reading everything reliable from doctors, and there's not a one predicting thousands of American deaths. Yes, it's possible in a worst-case scenario, but it's not the most reasonable projection, and certainly such talk drives fear more than calm precaution.

Yes, there is a line to walk, and some are doing nothing to help, they just want to forecast doom and fear so they can provoke reaction.

Sam Lowry
CDC Updates On Coronavirus

More cases of COVID-19 are likely to be identified in the United States in the coming days, including more instances of community spread. It's likely that at some point, widespread transmission of COVID-19 in the United States will occur. Widespread transmission of COVID-19 would translate into large numbers of people needing medical care at the same time. Schools, childcare centers, and workplaces, may experience more absenteeism. Mass gatherings may be sparsely attended or postponed. Public health and healthcare systems may become overloaded, with elevated rates of hospitalizations and deaths. Other critical infrastructure, such as law enforcement, emergency medical services, and sectors of the transportation industry may also be affected. Healthcare providers and hospitals may be overwhelmed. At this time, there is no vaccine to protect against COVID-19 and no medications approved to treat it.

https://www.austintexas.gov/article/cdc-updates-coronavirus
Oldbear83
TS: "The article you posted is out of date and is surpassed by newer relevant facts"

You keep saying that, yet you post nothing to support the claim.

If you are telling the truth, it's a simple matter to show your sources.

I have an infectious disease specialist friend who works at Methodist, who says anyone thinking COVID-19 is worse than SARS or MERS is just plain wrong.
LTbear
Oldbear83 said:

LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Why? Are you triggered?

I have been reading everything reliable from doctors, and there's not a one predicting thousands of American deaths. Yes, it's possible in a worst-case scenario, but it's not the most reasonable projection, and certainly such talk drives fear more than calm precaution.

Yes, there is a line to walk, and some are doing nothing to help, they just want to forecast doom and fear so they can provoke reaction.

Then frankly, you're not reading nearly enough. I just told you my sources, which are literally about as good as it gets. Take it or leave it.
boognish_bear
Sam Lowry said:

CDC Updates On Coronavirus

More cases of COVID-19 are likely to be identified in the United States in the coming days, including more instances of community spread. It's likely that at some point, widespread transmission of COVID-19 in the United States will occur. Widespread transmission of COVID-19 would translate into large numbers of people needing medical care at the same time. Schools, childcare centers, and workplaces, may experience more absenteeism. Mass gatherings may be sparsely attended or postponed. Public health and healthcare systems may become overloaded, with elevated rates of hospitalizations and deaths. Other critical infrastructure, such as law enforcement, emergency medical services, and sectors of the transportation industry may also be affected. Healthcare providers and hospitals may be overwhelmed. At this time, there is no vaccine to protect against COVID-19 and no medications approved to treat it.

https://www.austintexas.gov/article/cdc-updates-coronavirus

That's from the CDC and paints a potentially very bleak situation. You have to be willfully ignorant at this point if you think things are being overblown.
Oldbear83
LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

LTbear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Why? Are you triggered?

Then frankly, you're not reading nearly enough. I just told you my sources, which are literally about as good as it gets. Take it or leave it.
I will rely on published sources and the professionals I speak to.

You can keep the panic, for all the good it does you.
Jack Bauer
ATL Bear
Jack Bauer said:

At the end of the day, this is what I view as the "overblown" part. No doubt this is a highly contagious virus, and spreads easily. The actual virus itself is not that dangerous except to those who may be compromised through age or health condition. Why are we not focused on protecting those constituencies as best we can and notifying others of the symptoms you'll have and the recovery time. Also advising if you do contract it, at what point if you're in a certain range of age and health would you need to consider additional care beyond what you would do if you were home with the flu. What symptoms or length of symptoms before you need to have concern. Sometimes you have to let the body fight and win. Which is really the only treatment there is now. Right now too many people have an underlying belief that if they contract this, they're going to die. This is not Ebola.
boognish_bear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
12,469 deaths in the United States from H1N1 virus (swine flu) in 2009. No panic.

http://www.msn.com/?cobrand=hp15-comm.msn.com&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15&pc=HRTE

4,700 deaths Worldwide from the coronavirus in 2020. Worldwide panic.

What has changed?
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TS: "The article you posted is out of date and is surpassed by newer relevant facts"

You keep saying that, yet you post nothing to support the claim.

If you are telling the truth, it's a simple matter to show your sources.

I have an infectious disease specialist friend who works at Methodist, who says anyone thinking COVID-19 is worse than SARS or MERS is just plain wrong.
I've never said Covid-19 is worse than SARS or MERS. I haven't compared them. They are all terrible illnesses, each with there own characteristics in terms of virulence, morbidity, and transmissibility. The difference with Covid-19 and SARS and MERS is that it appears to be more easily transmissible. Even if the mortality rate is lower, the total fatalities can be higher.

Here are some sources:

Italy: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1099389/coronavirus-deaths-by-region-in-italy/

Global cases:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1043366/novel-coronavirus-2019ncov-cases-worldwide-by-country/

Global fatalities:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1093256/novel-coronavirus-2019ncov-deaths-worldwide-by-country/

The statistics speak for themselves.
EatMoreSalmon
this graph from the CDC is some encouraging.

https://www.cdc.gov/TemplatePackage/contrib/widgets/cdcCharts/iframe.html?chost=www.cdc.gov&cpath=/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html&csearch=&chash=reporting-cases&ctitle=Coronavirus%20Disease%202019%20(COVID-19)%20in%20the%20U.S.%20%7C%20CDC&wn=cdcCharts&wf=/TemplatePackage/contrib/widgets/cdcCharts/&wid=cdcCharts2&mMode=widget&mPage=&mChannel=&host=www.cdc.gov&displayMode=wcms&configUrl=/coronavirus/2019-ncov/us-cases-epi-chart.json&class=mb-3
Osodecentx
Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

Oldbear83 said:

Why? Are you triggered?

You're smart in the classroom and dumb on the bus.

I remember when a poster said coronavirus was 10X more deadly than the flu. You posted articles and made fun of him.

This crisis changes daily and you post months old journal articles that are incorrect in light of new information.

You should post less
jupiter

Quote:

12,469 deaths in the United States from H1N1 virus (swine flu) in 2009. No panic.

http://www.msn.com/?cobrand=hp15-comm.msn.com&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15&pc=HRTE

4,700 deaths Worldwide from the coronavirus in 2020. Worldwide panic.

What has changed?

Look at the growth curve .You're comparing Coronavirius death toll right now at the beginning stages vs Swine flu was after it was done spreading
Jack and DP
https://m.ctpost.com/news/article/Iran-s-coronavirus-burial-pits-are-so-vast-15125717.php

This is concerning.
Osodecentx
Jack and DP said:

https://m.ctpost.com/news/article/Iran-s-coronavirus-burial-pits-are-so-vast-15125717.php

This is concerning.
Oldbear said there is nothing to worry about. He linked us to an article published one month ago
boognish_bear
First Page Last Page
Page 16 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.