Coronavirus updates here

435,617 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jack Bauer said:

Governor Abbott waives STAAR testing for 2020.
Make that permanent.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
TexasScientist
ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

In 160 days (October 1, 2019 - March 7, 2020) the flu infected anywhere from 36-50 million Americans, which resulted in over 17 million doctor visits, over 400,000 hospitalizations, and between 20-40 thousand deaths. Those are CDC numbers. Could you imagine if we tracked that with the same obsessive concern, and the paranoia it would induce?

Fair point .

However I just have to believe the CDC considers the C-19 virus more virulent and far more contagious.

The only concern they have is the lack of a placebo to ease the paranoia. The placebo being a semi-effective vaccine or treatment. We have both with the flu but still millions die from it globally. We are literally acting against the hysteria of the unknown vaccine at this point. But our bodies have a clear ability to fight this with/without a vaccine. Those whose bodies can't have to take extra precautions. That's the practical reality.

Think about it, we're 4 months into this virus and worldwide we've experienced 1/4 of the annual deaths of Americans to the flu virus. If we tracked the flu with the same hysteria we're tracking C-19, forget shutdowns, we'd have Marshall law.

Again I see your point .

But I strongly doubt the government, CDC and medical community at large is doing all this for practice . What's happening in Italy appears to have scared everyone .

Wonder how many Americans have died from the 'regular ' flu since March 7th

C-19 presents a serious danger to the elderly, no question. And without effective treatments developed, it will likely hit that population even harder than the flu. But as I said in another post, 90% of all flu deaths in the US are people 65 and older.

I don't think the CDC and medical community are treating this as practice, as much as it is uncharted waters with a lot of speculation and unknowns mixed in with some public hysteria.
So far it has a higher fatality rate than the flu. That's what's driving their concern.
TexasScientist
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

TexasScientist said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

nein51 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Last Monday, my company issued a moratorium on all business travel. (I am a traveling salesman) . Two hours ago, my boss texted me and said everyone is to work from home and not come to the office until further notice.

Screw all of this. I'm going fishing.

That sounds good...but what are you supposed to do from home? Call customers who aren't there?

Yes. My biggest decision next week will be whether or not I buy live shrimp or live croakers. Gonna drink some Coronas and smoke a few fine cigars. I am gonna unplug from all this hype and craziness. I don't want to participate.
All things that will boost your immune system.

I forgot tequila.
Yes, you did. I'd include that too.
ATL Bear
TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

In 160 days (October 1, 2019 - March 7, 2020) the flu infected anywhere from 36-50 million Americans, which resulted in over 17 million doctor visits, over 400,000 hospitalizations, and between 20-40 thousand deaths. Those are CDC numbers. Could you imagine if we tracked that with the same obsessive concern, and the paranoia it would induce?

Fair point .

However I just have to believe the CDC considers the C-19 virus more virulent and far more contagious.

The only concern they have is the lack of a placebo to ease the paranoia. The placebo being a semi-effective vaccine or treatment. We have both with the flu but still millions die from it globally. We are literally acting against the hysteria of the unknown vaccine at this point. But our bodies have a clear ability to fight this with/without a vaccine. Those whose bodies can't have to take extra precautions. That's the practical reality.

Think about it, we're 4 months into this virus and worldwide we've experienced 1/4 of the annual deaths of Americans to the flu virus. If we tracked the flu with the same hysteria we're tracking C-19, forget shutdowns, we'd have Marshall law.

Again I see your point .

But I strongly doubt the government, CDC and medical community at large is doing all this for practice . What's happening in Italy appears to have scared everyone .

C-19 presents a serious danger to the elderly, no question. And without effective treatments developed, it will likely hit that population even harder than the flu. But as I said in another post, 90% of all flu deaths in the US are people 65 and older.

I don't think the CDC and medical community are treating this as practice, as much as it is uncharted waters with a lot of speculation and unknowns mixed in with some public hysteria.
So far it has a higher fatality rate than the flu. That's what's driving their concern.
I think that's in part because we really don't know how many actually have it. The cases that get the most notice are the severe ones who show the severe symptoms, while mildly symptomatic people may never go to the doctor. But I'm certain that without a treatment developed it will, as I said, be even worse for the elderly than the flu.
Booray
ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Fair point .

Again I see your point .

I think that's in part because we really don't know how many actually have it. The cases that get the most notice are the severe ones who show the severe symptoms, while mildly symptomatic people may never go to the doctor. But I'm certain that without a treatment developed it will, as I said, be even worse for the elderly than the flu.
We are screwed. Just heard Dr. Birx say we are depending on millennials to stop the spread of the virus.
BaylorBJM
CDC just says no more than 10 people together.

Wow.
ATL Bear
Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Fair point .

Again I see your point .

We are screwed. Just heard Dr. Birx say we are depending on millennials to stop the spread of the virus.
I know this is sarcasm, but from a realistic perspective, they are the best hope. Strongest immune systems to develop a natural defense against this. Just don't clog the ER at the first sign of a cough. Just tell them to at least wait until you have a high fever for a prolonged period and difficulty breathing.
PartyBear
Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Fair point .

Again I see your point .

Admiral Bill McCraven said in an interview about a year ago that despite what people say about millenials being slackers etc,, he believes the millennials are actually going to end up being the next "greatest generation". He went so far as to say they will be the ones who save American democracy. It seems they have been tee'd up to be in that position perfectly when they ripen..
Booray
ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Fair point .

Again I see your point .

I know this is sarcasm, but from a realistic perspective, they are the best hope. Strongest immune systems to develop a natural defense against this. Just don't clog the ER at the first sign of a cough. Just tell them to at least wait until you have a high fever for a prolonged period and difficulty breathing.
Her point was that millenials (and younger) are best equipped to conduct life without the need for physical interaction.

Edit: Yes, it was sarcasm. I am the proud father of two millenials, one of whom is married. One is a business owner (physical therapy and wellness clinic) and watching her navigate this challenge at the same time she is moving to a new home with a new baby makes me inordinately proud of the tough and very competent adult I helped produce. .

Same with the other, who is a teacher who starts med school later this year. She currently runs a STEAM program at Highland Park HS, that offers talented juniors and seniors the opportunity to do some pretty amazing engineering project-based learning.

Both have similarly accomplished friends. But they all do tend to feel bullet proof sometimes.
riflebear
Gotta love socialized medicine

trey3216
Waco1947 said:

"To be a good citizen, it's important to be able to put yourself in other people's shoes and see the big picture. If everything you see is rooted in your own identity, that becomes difficult or impossible." Eli Pariser

You'd be wise to self examine on that quote.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BaylorTaxman
Baylor just moved the remainder of the semester online and has postponed graduation ceremonies.
ATL Bear
Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Fair point .

Again I see your point .

Her point was that millenials (and younger) are best equipped to conduct life without the need for physical interaction.

Edit: Yes, it was sarcasm. I am the proud father of two millenials, one of whom is married. One is a business owner (physical therapy and wellness clinic) and watching her navigate this challenge at the same time she is moving to a new home with a new baby makes me inordinately proud of the tough and very competent adult I helped produce. .

Same with the other, who is a teacher who starts med school later this year. She currently runs a STEAM program at Highland Park HS, that offers talented juniors and seniors the opportunity to do some pretty amazing engineering project-based learning.

Both have similarly accomplished friends. But they all do tend to feel bullet proof sometimes.
Sounds like you've raised a couple of great kids.

As to the official comment, not sure that's the savior she thinks.
Waco1947
riflebear said:

Gotta love socialized medicine

Show m the direct connection. We are short too
Waco1947 ,la
Waco1947
trey3216 said:

Waco1947 said:

"To be a good citizen, it's important to be able to put yourself in other people's shoes and see the big picture. If everything you see is rooted in your own identity, that becomes difficult or impossible." Eli Pariser

You'd be wise to self examine on that quote.
Strange that you would accuse me when supporting 45 who can see beyond his nose
Waco1947 ,la
LTbear
Worth reading; good mathematical breakdown of scenarios based on best information regarding mortality rates and different response to the virus from country to country

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca
ATL Bear
Chloroquine Phosphate and Hydroxychloroquine. Anyone else seeing the news about its use as a Covid-19 drug? Saw where the UK outlawed the hoarding of these drugs. Wouldn't it be interesting if a drug from WWII and a malaria fighter ended up being the drug that defeats the virus. It's a long time generic so cost won't be the issue.
Bearitto
ATL Bear said:

Chloroquine Phosphate and Hydroxychloroquine. Anyone else seeing the news about its use as a Covid-19 drug? Saw where the UK outlawed the hoarding of these drugs. Wouldn't it be interesting if a drug from WWII and a malaria fighter ended up being the drug that defeats the virus. It's a long time generic so cost won't be the issue.

It would be great if it worked. The cost thing is still going to be a problem though, since we are forcing mass layoffs and shutting down the economy and millions of people won't have any income with which to buy it.

ATL Bear
Bearitto said:

ATL Bear said:

It would be great if it worked. The cost thing is still going to be a problem though, since we are forcing mass layoffs and shutting down the economy and millions of people won't have any income with which to buy it.

I only hope something like this could be the public placebo to stop the insanity and get back to normal. We have a flu vaccine that has about a 50% efficacy and people die who've been vaccinated.

But the WHO and CDC will likely screw this up by demanding extended clinical trials all the while keeping us under the umbrella of paranoia.
Swamp
https://www.facebook.com/tommy.megremis?__tn__=%2Cd*F*F-R&eid=ARCekaT3CWWw9BGPj0U0TgEjwgHuY3beE9oVVj4Jx5eSEBBaQRqgvdnbP_wahIT9RwXPXN5XszsQnPwh&tn-str=*F

Interesting contrarian medical view of the Covid 19 from a doctor. He says that social distancing has nothing to do with controlling it and links several articles from John Hopkins and Journal of Epidemiology. It does have some logic to it. I'm not buying it at this moment, but I hope he is right.
LTbear
He didn't even do his math right
TexasScientist
Bearitto said:

ATL Bear said:

Hydroxychloroquine is in ionophore. Zn inside the cell has been shown to interfere with the virus's mRNA and its ability to replicate in the cell. Zn by itself can't pass through the cell wall into the cell, and requires an ionophore to open a portal. Hydroxychloroquine requires a Rx. Quercetin is an ionophore, which may accomplish the same thing, but doesn't require a Rx. Some have speculated that Quercetin with Zn may interfere with the replication of the virus. Too much Zn can create other problems though.
riflebear
Osodecentx
idk, but worth a read

This is big news, if true. Chinese researchers say they have found a Japanese company's drug very effective in treating novel coronavirus-related symptoms. I normally wouldn't share something speculative like this, but NHK is a legitimate source and we could all use some hope right now.
Key Points:
  • Chinese government researchers claim the drug Avigan is effective in treating patients with the new coronavirus
  • In two separate studies, patients given the drug tested negative for the virus after a median of four days, vs. 11 days for those without it.
  • The trials also found x-ray photos showed improved lung condition in 91% of patients given the drug, vs. 62% for those without.
  • No obvious side effects were noted.
  • Researchers formally recommended using Avigan to tackle the virus.
Bottom Line: This is great news IF the research findings are accurate. They may not be. Even so, it would take time to manufacture and distribute the drug. We don't know how fast that could happen and the problem is escalating quickly. So it's a much-needed glimmer of hope but don't celebrate yet.
BaylorTaxman
McLennan County just reported five confirmed positive tests for the virus. President Livingstone just sent out a communication that, unfortunately, two of the five confirmed tests are Baylor faculty whom recently traveled to the New York area. Neither faculty member has returned to campus.

As this has moved closer to home and is now impacting the Baylor family, it is probably time to set aside some of our differences and pray for those impacted.
TexasScientist
BaylorTaxman said:

McLennan County just reported five confirmed positive tests for the virus. President Livingstone just sent out a commnication that, unfortunately, two of the five confirmed tests are Baylor faculty whom recently travelled to the New York area. Neither faculty member has returned to campus.

As this has moved closer to home and is now impacting the Baylor family, it is probably time to set aside some of our differences and pray for those impacted.
You pray for them. I'll wish them good luck. Same efficacy. It's better to hope science will find an answer.
BaylorTaxman
TexasScientist said:

BaylorTaxman said:

McLennan County just reported five confirmed positive tests for the virus. President Livingstone just sent out a commnication that, unfortunately, two of the five confirmed tests are Baylor faculty whom recently travelled to the New York area. Neither faculty member has returned to campus.

You pray for them. I'll wish them good luck. Same efficacy. It's better to hope science will find an answer.
If you really think the difference between prayer and science was the gist of my post, then I really do not know what else to say.
PartyBear
Scientist are the good news. I'm not a scientist but this virus does not seem as complicated as HIV and every report I have seen indicates that a vaccine will exist in about a year. So obviously in a year this could be controlled like the various influenza's for which there is vaccine. I have not heard much about a treatment coming along however.
BusyTarpDuster2017
TexasScientist said:

BaylorTaxman said:

You pray for them. I'll wish them good luck. Same efficacy.
No offense, but between the perfunctory condolences from a fellow fallible created being, and a prayer to the perfect, loving Creator of the universe, I'll take my chances with the latter. Thanks, though.
riflebear
TexasScientist
PartyBear said:

Scientist are the good news. I'm not a scientist but this virus does not seem as complicated as HIV and every report I have seen indicates that a vaccine will exist in about a year. So obviously in a year this could be controlled like the various influenza's for which there is vaccine. I have not heard much about a treatment coming along however.
The Chinese have been testing a Japanese made drug, favipiravir (also known as Avigan), that they claim is effective as a treatment.
Canada2017
TexasScientist said:

PartyBear said:

The Chinese have been testing a Japanese made drug, favipiravir (also known as Avigan), that they claim is effective as a treatment.

There are already many claims from various sources for effective treatments .

But the CDC needs to ignore the growing hysteria and test each of these claims very deliberately.

jupiter
Aliceinbubbleland
Time for a little levity

Astros in Home Stretch Geaux Texans
Aliceinbubbleland
riflebear said:

The Italians wash their hands and then hug and kiss on each cheek.
Astros in Home Stretch Geaux Texans
First Page Last Page
Page 23 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.