Coronavirus updates here

435,768 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Jack and DP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waco1947
Florda_mike said:

ATL Bear said:

Big jump in new cases today. Will update when daily cycle ends at 8pm EST (12am GMT). Mortality rate remains steady. Deaths are still overwhelmingly (97%+) over 65 and/or underlying health condition.

Mortality rate has decreased to 1.2%

More testing happening now

Bet it ends up about same as normal flu
Do some more research.
Waco1947 ,la
Florda_mike
Waco1947 said:

Florda_mike said:

ATL Bear said:

Big jump in new cases today. Will update when daily cycle ends at 8pm EST (12am GMT). Mortality rate remains steady. Deaths are still overwhelmingly (97%+) over 65 and/or underlying health condition.

Mortality rate has decreased to 1.2%

More testing happening now

Bet it ends up about same as normal flu
Do some more research.

You're welcome

We all know you need all the help you can get
ATL Bear
ATL Bear said:

Fewer new cases today than yesterday, and deaths due to Covid-19 declined for the third day. These are US numbers.

The following numbers are from Worldometer.

March 19: 4,530 new cases, 57 new deaths
March 20: 5,594 new cases, 49 new deaths
March 21: 4,824 new cases, 46 new deaths
March 22: 9,339 new cases. 117 new deaths

Sizable jump day over day. Mortality rate remains steady. Surprised at this point the testing continues to have such a high negative result (~90%).
ATL Bear
Read where Italy has asked the US military for assistance. I thought it would be for assistance in containment and quarantine efforts. Well no, they're seeking ventilators, masks, and similar supplies from them.
Jack Bauer
ATL Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Fewer new cases today than yesterday, and deaths due to Covid-19 declined for the third day. These are US numbers.

Sizable jump day over day. Mortality rate remains steady. Surprised at this point the testing continues to have such a high negative result (~90%).

I believe NY has ramped up testing exponentially
Florda_mike
Coumo said they've also received tons of Hydroxychloroquine and Chloroquine and will start those treatments Tuesday I believe?
jupiter
https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2020/03/convalescent-blood-therapy.html

Quote:

A simple and medically feasible strategy is available now for treating COVID-19 patients, transfuse blood plasma from recovered patients. The idea is that the antibodies from the recovered patients will help the infected patients. The idea is an old one and has been used before with some success. Here is Robert Kruse from Johns Hopkins (who also makes other suggestions):
Quote:

A simple but potentially very effective tool that can be used in infectious outbreaks is to use the serum of patients who have recovered from the virus to treat patients who contract the virus in the future. Patients with resolved viral infection will develop a polyclonal antibody immune response to different viral antigens of 2019-nCoV. Some of these polyclonal anti-bodies will likely neutralize the virus and prevent new rounds of infection, and the patients with resolved infection should produce 2019-nCoV antibodies in high titer.Patients with resolved cases of 2019-nCoV can simply donate plasma, and then this plasma can be transfused into infected patients. Given that plasma donation is well established, and the transfusion of plasma is also routine medical care, this proposal does not need any new science or medical approvals in order to be put into place. Indeed, the same rationale was used in the treatment of several Ebola patients with convalescent serum during the outbreak in 20142015, including two American healthcare workers who became infected.

ATL Bear
jupiter said:

https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2020/03/convalescent-blood-therapy.html

Quote:

A simple and medically feasible strategy is available now for treating COVID-19 patients, transfuse blood plasma from recovered patients. The idea is that the antibodies from the recovered patients will help the infected patients. The idea is an old one and has been used before with some success. Here is Robert Kruse from Johns Hopkins (who also makes other suggestions):
Quote:

A simple but potentially very effective tool that can be used in infectious outbreaks is to use the serum of patients who have recovered from the virus to treat patients who contract the virus in the future. Patients with resolved viral infection will develop a polyclonal antibody immune response to different viral antigens of 2019-nCoV. Some of these polyclonal anti-bodies will likely neutralize the virus and prevent new rounds of infection, and the patients with resolved infection should produce 2019-nCoV antibodies in high titer.Patients with resolved cases of 2019-nCoV can simply donate plasma, and then this plasma can be transfused into infected patients. Given that plasma donation is well established, and the transfusion of plasma is also routine medical care, this proposal does not need any new science or medical approvals in order to be put into place. Indeed, the same rationale was used in the treatment of several Ebola patients with convalescent serum during the outbreak in 20142015, including two American healthcare workers who became infected.

This is why so called "herd immunity" is so important. Our bodies will ultimately be the best defense, for ourselves and for vaccines now and in the future. This isn't an argument for or against precautionary measures, just a biological reality.
Canada2017
Jack Bauer said:

ATL Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

I believe NY has ramped up testing exponentially

God knows I want these drugs to work.

Though I find it very strange that they weren't used earlier in Italy or China .

Might a solid reason why they weren't .

Bearitto
ATL Bear said:

jupiter said:

Quote:

Quote:

This is why so called "herd immunity" is so important. Our bodies will ultimately be the best defense, for ourselves and for vaccines now and in the future. This isn't an argument for or against precautionary measures, just a biological reality.

My friend, I'm afraid you have chosen the wrong forum in which to discuss realities. Hope and denial are the currency of most of this group.
quash
I think part of the high negative results is the varying criteria for who gets tested. Sen. Paul had no symptoms and per his Twitter no contact. He still got tested, probably because of the lung damage from his neighborly beat down. That puts him at higher risk for serious effects, not for contracting. So far, fortunately, he is asymptomatic.

If certain people are being tested on request, and not by exposure or symptoms, that might explain the high negative rate. Or it could be something else entirely.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Booray
ATL Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

Wife has an employee whose husband is infected. Employee is mildly symptomatic. Hospital is refusing to test her based on low availability of tests and there assumption that she is infected. Anecdotal I know, but at least one likely positive test result that does not show as a positive test result.
quash
That criterion makes sense while tests are rationed.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
ATL Bear
I would imagine there's likely some duplicative testing happening, in particular for frontline people. And there's definitely test rationing going on also. But the latter is normal with outbreaks like this. The question is would the treatment approach be any different based upon symptoms whether or not a test was positive. I would guess as symptoms become more severe testing becomes more relevant because treatment avenues would change with or without a positive test.
Booray
quash said:

I agree-but if used widely it would skew the test results negative. It also has the impact of creating uncertainty.

For instance, wife saw this teacher last Monday. Probably was always more than 6 feet away. But still you never know. So wife is not going to be near the new grand baby who might have slight immuno issues. Would be a different decision if somehow the employee had avoided the virus and tested negative. Similar stories for everyone the employee may have been around.
quash
Booray said:

quash said:

I agree-but if used widely it would skew the test results negative. It also has the impact of creating uncertainty.

For instance, wife saw this teacher last Monday. Probably was always more than 6 feet away. But still you never know. So wife is not going to be near the new grand baby who might have slight immuno issues. Would be a different decision if somehow the employee had avoided the virus and tested negative. Similar stories for everyone the employee may have been around.

Whenever the tests are widely available people in contact without symptoms ought to be able to test.
riflebear
riflebear
I forget who tried to correct us in saying Biden doesn't forget things every time he talks. He's been in hiding for the last week to prepare for this speech and this is how he performs.

riflebear
Art Vandelay
Forest Bueller_bf

Quote:

To be clear, any person known to have covid-19 should, of course, be isolated to avoid onward transmission. But this strategy alone - and the tracing and quarantine of contacts that is central to Singapore or Taiwan's strategy - is inadequate to the problem we are already facing in the United States. It's just a matter of numbers. If we only know about 1 in 10 cases, then even perfectly effective interventions on known cases can block only 10 percent of transmission. More likely in the United States, we know about an even lower proportion.

Lipsitch is a professor of epidemiology and the director of the Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

This man believes that there are likely more than 10X the cases than are confirmed.
TexasScientist
riflebear said:

Yes. But there are certain things that the Feds can do, that states cannot do ,min the way of marshaling resources and directing supplies to states for their use. For instance, most state funds expended on highways comes from the Federal government for state administered projects. However, in the Covid-19 case, the Defense Production Act gives the president authority to marshal and direct materials and resources as needed, which states do not have authority to do. States have been asking for this help now.
Jack Bauer
++ Italy's number of registered Covid-19 cases grows by 8.1%. First time it is down to single digit.
Today's death toll is 601 down from 651 & 793 in the previous two days.

Italy went into lockdown two weeks ago. Scientists said it would take two weeks to see some results.
Ferdinando Giugliano (@FerdiGiugliano) March 23, 2020

--
Today (March 23rd) the daily percentage growth of confirmed #COVID19 cases in Italy is 8.10%, from 59,138 to 63,927.
The absolute increase amounts to 4789 cases and is lower than the increase in the four previous days.
See the graph on daily % growth.#coronavirus pic.twitter.com/OK8JUU9kAN

ATL Bear
ATL Bear said:

ATL Bear said:

March 23: 10,168 new cases. 140 new deaths.

New York makes up half of new cases and 43 of the deaths. Washington and Louisiana with 15 deaths each round out top 3 states and collectively half the fatalities.
Florda_mike
Google Dr Zeleko in NY

He was on Hannity tonite I heard. Said he'd cured 350 of 350 with Hydroxychloroquine

No hospitalizations and nothing on CNNor MSNBC

Left doesn't want cure, they just want Trump gone and that's their goal with coronavirus

Left are murderers to get the power they want

Evil, pure evil
Buddha Bear
Florda_mike said:

Google Dr Zeleko in NY

He was on Hannity tonite I heard. Said he'd cured 350 of 350 with Hydroxychloroquine

Left doesn't want cure, they just want Trump gone and that's their goal with coronavirus

Evil, pure evil
Wouldn't other countries adopt this and start publishing their findings? I don't see other countries promoting this, but maybe I've missed something. The democratic party is corrupt, but this is bigger than politics.
riflebear
Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Google Dr Zeleko in NY

Evil, pure evil
Wouldn't other countries adopt this and start publishing their findings? I don't see other countries promoting this, but maybe I've missed something. The democratic party is corrupt, but this is bigger than politics.

South Korea China and France all using it. So is New Orleans NYC etc. They had one of the best Drs in France interviewed by Dr Oz talking about how great it worked.

Still more studies/trials/tests need to be done but so far this seems to be the best thing out there and great news.
Buddha Bear
riflebear said:

Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Google Dr Zeleko in NY

Evil, pure evil

South Korea China and France all using it. So is New Orleans NYC etc. They had one of the best Drs in France interviewed by Dr Oz talking about how great it worked.

Still more studies/trials/tests need to be done but so far this seems to be the best thing out there and great news.
Well, good to know then. Here's hoping something works soon.
Florda_mike
Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Google Dr Zeleko in NY

Evil, pure evil

Well Buddha, your post gives me hope for you! It's a start for sure

In your last sentence, "The democrat party is corrupt," you've hit the key that unlocks the door to knowledge!

If democrats are corrupt, as you say, and they own the media then could the media also be corrupt??? All is not what we see then!? If so, then could the media be hiding the cure this man touts of 350 cures of 350 cases? Yes?

Now to the real enlightenment! WHY would democrats and media do such a dastardly thing allowing others a certain death? That sickening trail to that knowledge answers all to what's happening here and throughout world caused by Globalists and/or Socialists. It's heartbreaking but it's the bitter truth what democrat corruption, as you call it, does to our country and indirectly our world

Bing bing bing

You're a winner!
Florda_mike
Buddha Bear said:

riflebear said:

Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Google Dr Zeleko in NY

Evil, pure evil

Well, good to know then. Here's hoping something works soon.

Good for you and it is working at near 100%

It's just not being promoted by democrat and China influenced media. It would be viewed as a huge success for Trump to them even though he didn't "invent" it

Trump successes even if it saves lives aren't allowed in media. So people die
TexasScientist
riflebear said:

Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Google Dr Zeleko in NY

Evil, pure evil

The problem has been with the FDA and using this is contrary to bureaucratic policies. Hydroxychloroquine has been used successfully in China and South Korea for weeks. China has already run trials with it. For some reason, at least in the media, the FDA is unwilling to recognize China and South Korean results, focusing instead on France's limited anecdotal use.

In addition to Trump, one of the most notable Democrats in the country, Gov. Cuomo, is promoting its use in this country. So, Fla. Mike is wrong to say this is an R and D issue. Both are advocating its use. It appears more to be an FDA issue.
Oldbear83
Anecdotal stories are heartening, but don't establish empirical evidence.

It's good news but we are not at the end yet, nor even the beginning of the end.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
BaylorBJM
Olympics delayed at least a year.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

Anecdotal stories are heartening, but don't establish empirical evidence.

It's good news but we are not at the end yet, nor even the beginning of the end.
I think this is the second time we've ever agreed on something. Hmm. LOL
First Page Last Page
Page 25 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.