Coronavirus updates here

435,830 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Jack Bauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chinese authorities announced Tuesday that they would end a two-month lockdown of hard-hit Hubei province at midnight.
TexasScientist
Here is an interesting worldwide statistic of concern.

17,159 deaths/120,139 total resolved cases (recovered + deaths) = 14%
quash
TexasScientist said:

There needs to be an asterisk on that for countries and times before/after the hospitals were overwhelmed.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
The wife just texted from South Padre Island where she is staying with my in-laws. They just closed the beaches and there is a $1,000 fine for violators. What is next? If things worsen, people may run down to the beach and just tell the cops "Please arrest me and take me to jail. Just give me food and toilet paper!"
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
TexasScientist
quash said:

TexasScientist said:

There needs to be an asterisk on that for countries and times before/after the hospitals were overwhelmed.
Yes.

Countries that allowed themselves to become overwhelmed are taking the brunt. All the more reason to flatten the curve.

If Trump gets weak kneed now and back tracks, he could amplify the crisis. He should focus on flattening the curve and staying course.

Italy: 6,077deaths /13,509 total resolved cases (recovered + deaths) = 45%
Sam Lowry
Backtracking before the curve flattens is the worst possible thing he could do now. I can't believe he's even hinting at it.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Anecdotal stories are heartening, but don't establish empirical evidence.

It's good news but we are not at the end yet, nor even the beginning of the end.
I think this is the second time we've ever agreed on something. Hmm. LOL
Hey, it's progress.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
BaylorBJM
Oldbear83 said:

Anecdotal stories are heartening, but don't establish empirical evidence.

It's good news but we are not at the end yet, nor even the beginning of the end.

100%
riflebear
TexasScientist said:

riflebear said:

Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Google Dr Zeleko in NY

He was on Hannity tonite I heard. Said he'd cured 350 of 350 with Hydroxychloroquine

No hospitalizations and nothing on CNNor MSNBC

Left doesn't want cure, they just want Trump gone and that's their goal with coronavirus

Left are murderers to get the power they want

Evil, pure evil
Wouldn't other countries adopt this and start publishing their findings? I don't see other countries promoting this, but maybe I've missed something. The democratic party is corrupt, but this is bigger than politics.

South Korea China and France all using it. So is New Orleans NYC etc. They had one of the best Drs in France interviewed by Dr Oz talking about how great it worked.

Still more studies/trials/tests need to be done but so far this seems to be the best thing out there and great news.
The problem has been with the FDA and using this is contrary to bureaucratic policies. Hydroxychloroquine has been used successfully in China and South Korea for weeks. China has already run trials with it. For some reason, at least in the media, the FDA is unwilling to recognize China and South Korean results, focusing instead on France's limited anecdotal use.

In addition to Trump, one of the most notable Democrats in the country, Gov. Cuomo, is promoting its use in this country. So, Fla. Mike is wrong to say this is an R and D issue. Both are advocating its use. It appears more to be an FDA issue.
The problem right now is a few in the media. They are pushing conspiracy theories like Trump googled Hydroxychloroquine and threw it out there randomly as an option during his press conference. He has access to more information than anyone in the world and is being counseled by the best in the world. Many countries and many cities in the U.S. were already using it before he said anything about it. And he didn't say it was a cure or that it would end the crisis.

Last night several Drs were interviewed on TV about it and I don't believe the FDA can approve it w/out legit trials which takes a long time. The good thing is it can be prescribed by Drs regardless. I don't have the medical verbiage so someone else can chime in here. The infectious disease expert from New Orleans was on last night saying they are using it in all their hospitals but it's too early to say what the results are yet. She was being cautious which is smart but other Drs from NYC etc have said it's worked tremendously.

The lady from New Orleans said all the Drs/hospitals are working together to get more data. They've divided the sick people in 4 groups and 3 of those groups are taking it as part of a cocktail.

This shouldn't be political right now and Trump shouldn't get credit or blame if it works. He's just given get public a little bit of hope for something that is working in the early stages. I don't see anything wrong with that.

riflebear
Sam Lowry said:

Backtracking before the curve flattens is the worst possible thing he could do now. I can't believe he's even hinting at it.
He's not - they are saying they are pushing through with the 15 day plan that is currently halfway done. That's what all the health experts told him to do and then they have to make a big decision after that which basically a week from now. Whatever decision he makes it's going to cause harm for a lot of people, so I don't envy this and unfortunately the media will jump all over it regardless of which decision he makes and take the opposite side.
Jack Bauer
EatMoreSalmon
Using Worldometer numbers for the U.S.

1175 serious/critical cases
+
588 deaths
=

divided by
48,778 known cases
=
3.6% of known cases mortal or serious

If we take a conservative estimate of actual cases at 5x what is known = 243,890 cases

divided by
=
0.7% of known cases mortal or serious

If we use the 10x estimate of the Harvard professor, that puts the percentage down to 0.36%.
I hope he is right.
nein51
Jack Bauer said:

Yet another reason to move some place warmer.
Jack Bauer
Trump is on FoxNews townhall. Seems he is downplaying this now, comparing it to the flu.
riflebear
riflebear
Canada2017
TexasScientist said:

riflebear said:

Buddha Bear said:

Florda_mike said:

Google Dr Zeleko in NY

He was on Hannity tonite I heard. Said he'd cured 350 of 350 with Hydroxychloroquine

No hospitalizations and nothing on CNNor MSNBC

Left doesn't want cure, they just want Trump gone and that's their goal with coronavirus

Left are murderers to get the power they want

Evil, pure evil
Wouldn't other countries adopt this and start publishing their findings? I don't see other countries promoting this, but maybe I've missed something. The democratic party is corrupt, but this is bigger than politics.

South Korea China and France all using it. So is New Orleans NYC etc. They had one of the best Drs in France interviewed by Dr Oz talking about how great it worked.

Still more studies/trials/tests need to be done but so far this seems to be the best thing out there and great news.
The problem has been with the FDA and using this is contrary to bureaucratic policies. Hydroxychloroquine has been used successfully in China and South Korea for weeks. China has already run trials with it. For some reason, at least in the media, the FDA is unwilling to recognize China and South Korean results, focusing instead on France's limited anecdotal use.

In addition to Trump, one of the most notable Democrats in the country, Gov. Cuomo, is promoting its use in this country. So, Fla. Mike is wrong to say this is an R and D issue. Both are advocating its use. It appears more to be an FDA issue.

As much as I want an effective drug to fight this pandemic .......I still want the FDA to conduct a thorough, deliberate study .

One miss step now could result in the unintentional poisoning of millions .
Jack Bauer
ATL Bear
Italy having another bad day of fatalities with 743 thus far. It is amazing how they have such a high mortality rate compared to everywhere else.
Jack Bauer
ATL Bear said:

Italy having another bad day of fatalities with 743 thus far. It is amazing how they have such a high mortality rate compared to everywhere else.
Mike Pence said today the average age of fatality in Italy is 80. And that the majority of them had 3-4 other health conditions.
Jack Bauer
riflebear
Forest Bueller_bf
EatMoreSalmon said:

Using Worldometer numbers for the U.S.

1175 serious/critical cases
+
588 deaths
=

divided by
48,778 known cases
=
3.6% of known cases mortal or serious

If we take a conservative estimate of actual cases at 5x what is known = 243,890 cases

divided by
=
0.7% of known cases mortal or serious

If we use the 10x estimate of the Harvard professor, that puts the percentage down to 0.36%.
I hope he is right.
If there are 50,000 confirmed cases, there are probably 750,000 real cases. There have now been 642 deaths.

Thankfully the daytime highs the rest of the week in North Texas are looking to be in the 80's with lows in the 60's and finally clearing skies.

Now NYC is probably a month from temps getting high enough to help quell this outbreak.
Forest Bueller_bf
Jack Bauer said:

And there is the problem with a lockdown. Places that need to be "locked" stay crowded, offices that have natural spacing with cubicles and offices, get closed.

There needs to be real spacing without ruining our economy.

Let me add, I would never get stuck it a situation where I was in a crowd like this.

If the grocery store is crowded, I ain't going in. I will hit it at 11pm.

If people get laid off or told to wait three weeks to work, but are at the park, or grocery store much more than normal, which seems to be happening, we aren't spacing. Quite honestly the opposite.
nein51
riflebear said:

Seems inevitable to me really. If you have depression being "shut in" even if you're not really stuck is a serious problem. My wife struggles with depression. I can already see some signs I don't love.

She owns her own business and, to be honest, at some point I will probably suggest she go to work. She will be the only one there but it's out of the house and routine and she needs both of those things.

If you have friends with depression you might want to make a real effort to reach out to them regularly.
Jack Bauer
Stocks rebounded aggressively from a three-year low Tuesday as traders hoped U.S. lawmakers were close to an agreement on a stimulus bill to rescue the economy from the damage caused by the coronavirus.

The Dow soared 2,112 points to close 11.3% higher, notching its biggest one-day percentage gain since 1933. The S&P 500 rallied 9.4% for its best day since October 2008. The Nasdaq surged 8.1% in its best day since March 13. Both the Dow and S&P 500 were coming off their lowest levels since late 2016.

Canada2017
Almost meaningless if the number of infections and deaths continue to increase .

Oldbear83
Canada2017 said:

Almost meaningless if the number of infections and deaths continue to increase .

The pace of new cases and deaths bears directly on the matter.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
nein51
Canada2017 said:

I mean, not if you're not sick and also care about your finances. Selfish as that sounds.
Canada2017
nein51 said:

Canada2017 said:

I mean, not if you're not sick and also care about your finances. Selfish as that sounds.

Ending the quarantines by Easter,

Without a workable drug treatment or vaccine by December ......

utilizing the most OPTIMISTIC 1918 Spanish Influenza percentages...

Approximately 500,000 dead of the C-19 virus by February 1st 2021.

Unbelievably tough choices coming up.

Canada2017
Canada2017 said:

nein51 said:

Canada2017 said:

Ending the quarantines by Easter,

Without a workable drug treatment or vaccine by December ......

utilizing the most OPTIMISTIC 1918 Spanish Influenza percentages...

Approximately 500,000 US dead of the C-19 virus by February 1st 2021.

Unbelievably tough choices coming up.

quash
Jack Bauer said:

Trump is on FoxNews townhall. Seems he is downplaying this now, comparing it to the flu.
Is that a replay from February?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
blackie
ATL Bear said:

Their hospitals were overwhelmed. That is what we are trying to avoid by isolating people.
BaylorFTW
nein51 said:

riflebear said:

Seems inevitable to me really. If you have depression being "shut in" even if you're not really stuck is a serious problem. My wife struggles with depression. I can already see some signs I don't love.

She owns her own business and, to be honest, at some point I will probably suggest she go to work. She will be the only one there but it's out of the house and routine and she needs both of those things.

If you have friends with depression you might want to make a real effort to reach out to them regularly.
A few tips to share:

1. With the weather warming up a bit. Tell her to go out in the backyard and get 15 to 20 minutes of direct sunlight on her forehead or pineal gland. This will help with mood.
2. Have her read a few chapters of the bible each morning to start her day. It can also be good to add in some uplifting sermons or search for stories on youtube where people have done good things for other people. Here, is an example:
3. Have her consider learning a new hobby like playing the piano or a foreign language. You can take classes online and learn. Playing the piano can be a good way to vent when you are down but can also be a creative outlet. You can now take foreign language classes online with people around the world or when you get proficient do a language exchange online. In this way, you can learn about some other folks and can give you a different perspecitve.
4. Have her wake up the same time every morning and keep a routine. When you alter from your routine is when things can start to be problematic for some folks.
5. Have her cut back on the corona virus talk and other negative talk and replace it with uplifting religious movies or movies like that are on the Hallmark Channel.
6. Even with the lockdown rules, people can still go bike riding and such so don't be afraid to do that to alleviate the cabin fever.
Aliceinbubbleland
riflebear said:

Just read nein51's post so I deleted my comment. Best of luck nein51 to your wife.
Astros in Home Stretch Geaux Texans
First Page Last Page
Page 26 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.