Coronavirus updates here

435,694 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Bearitto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ATL Bear said:

Bearitto said:

LTbear said:

Jack Bauer said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/italy-could-be-free-of-new-covid-19-cases-by-may-16-experts-predict/ar-BB11XLll?ocid=spartanntp

Italy Could Be Free of New COVID-19 Cases by May 16, Experts Predict

Quote:

taly may be virtually free of new COVID-19 cases by the middle of May, statistical research has indicated
Experts from the Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF) carried out calculations using data from the Civil Protection Department on the rate of infections, concluding that the disease could be practically eliminated in the country within the period May 5 to May 16.
"We are going in the right direction and we must not change our strategy in the least. The return to normality will be a gradual process... the goal is to contain the situation now, and prevent further epidemic outbreaks, such as those seen in the North, and restore as much as possible a normal lifestyle," Higher Health Council president Franco Locatelli told reporters at a press conference.

Holy damn this would be awesome. Let's hope. It was terrifying there.

What percentage of their population died? I'm just trying to understand what your threshold is for being terrified.
Over 12,000 have died thus far in Italy from the virus.

Out of 60.48 million people. Mostly elderly and infirm. Not exactly plague level mortality there. Should not "terrify" the average person.
Booray
ATL Bear said:

Today might be ugly. New York has already reported over 8,000 new cases today and 208 deaths. They report multiple times a day.
Lets balance that with some good news:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/restrictions-slowing-coronavirus-infections-data-123148690.html
Flaming Moderate
Based on CDC data, new cases for today's reporting period showed an increase of 16.1% - that's the lowest increase on a percentage basis since mid-March. This still largely is a New York metro problem: it plus California and Washington have 58.4% of the nation's cases.
ATL Bear
Booray said:

ATL Bear said:

Today might be ugly. New York has already reported over 8,000 new cases today and 208 deaths. They report multiple times a day.
Lets balance that with some good news:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/restrictions-slowing-coronavirus-infections-data-123148690.html
I'll be banging this drum for a while, but the infection numbers from early models were way overstated from the outset with or without restrictions. I'm just hopeful restrictions will make it even lower.
PartyBear
Flaming Moderate said:

Based on CDC data, new cases for today's reporting period showed an increase of 16.1% - that's the lowest increase on a percentage basis since mid-March. This still largely is a New York metro problem: it plus California and Washington have 58.4% of the nation's cases.

Wrong. Those three states' cases make up about 50% of US cases currently. Meaning it is spreading faster everywhere else. Florida now has almost as many cases as California and will probably surpass California in a few days. Tiny Louisiana also almost has as many cases as California.
ATL Bear
Flaming Moderate said:

The law of big numbers will flatten the growth curve naturally. This never showed exponent trends so we'll be steady linear expansion to the point of which we all hope will be reduced to negligible additions. I'm assuming the metric officials are looking for are the decline in new cases. I hope that is shortly on the horizon.
ATL Bear
PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Wrong. Those three states' cases make up about 50% of US cases currently. Meaning it is spreading faster everywhere else. Florida now has almost as many cases as California and will probably surpass California in a few days. Tiny Louisiana also almost has as many cases as California.
New York and New Jersey make up 52% of all cases and 50% of the deaths. They are consistently making up that many of the daily cases. Today they've already reported ~8500 new cases which would make them #1 in the world for new infections on most days. Furthermore, it's nearly a 30% increase over yesterday (6,600). And the reporting day isn't over.
Booray
First Waco Corona death, a middle school principal.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/McLennan-County-records-first-COVID-19-death-mayor-says-569253241.html
Osodecentx
ATL Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

New York and New Jersey make up 52% of all cases and 50% of the deaths. They are consistently making up that many of the daily cases. Today they've already reported ~8500 new cases which would make them #1 in the world for new infections on most days. Furthermore, it's nearly a 30% increase over yesterday (6,600). And the reporting day isn't over.
Have you posted your daily stats?
Flaming Moderate
Booray said:

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/McLennan-County-records-first-COVID-19-death-mayor-says-569253241.html
Man that's horrible. It's obviously horrible for anyone.
Flaming Moderate
PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"New Math"
ATL Bear
Osodecentx said:

ATL Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Reporting day isn't over until midnight GMT (8pm EST), but we're already sitting north of 17,000 new cases, with over 10k from NY/NJ.
Forest Bueller_bf
TexasScientist said:

It's my understanding from contacts at ER in Shreveport, they are maxed out now and are going to a no one over 50 is elligible for a ventilator policy, and at the moment, they have no open ventilators.
That would be terrible.
Forest Bueller_bf
ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

ATL Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Reporting day isn't over until midnight GMT (8pm EST), but we're already sitting north of 17,000 new cases, with over 10k from NY/NJ.

I sure hope what is happening in NY/NJ isn't about to overtake the rest of the US, right now they alone are worse than the rest of the United States combined.
Mitch Blood Green
We have a naval ship with over 100 sailors positive.
quash
Booray said:

Oh man, he was a good guy.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Booray
Forest Bueller_bf said:

ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

ATL Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I sure hope what is happening in NY/NJ isn't about to overtake the rest of the US, right now they alone are worse than the rest of the United States combined.
Most importantly, no other American city duplicates NYC's population density and number of international visitors. So I would guess NYC will be struck the hardest by this. The rest of the country has had more time than NYC so I would guess that the containment measures will have an effect that they did not in NYC.

But we can expect problems elsewhere.
EatMoreSalmon
tommie said:

We have a naval ship with over 100 sailors positive.
Hopefully they will all be milder cases. I imagine any shore leave is a very long way off.
Forest Bueller_bf
Booray said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

ATL Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Most importantly, no other American city duplicates NYC's population density and number of international visitors. So I would guess NYC will be struck the hardest by this. The rest of the country has had more time than NYC so I would guess that the containment measures will have an effect that they did not in NYC.

That is what I was thinking too, but Cuomo keeps warning us that it's coming our way. Very sad for NYC and area. It is a very vibrant city. Downtown San Francisco is also very densely populated, my co-workers son works and lives in the center of the City, they have sheltered for a good while now.
Booray
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Booray said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

ATL Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

That is what I was thinking too, but Cuomo keeps warning us that it's coming our way. Very sad for NYC and area. It is a very vibrant city. Downtown San Francisco is also very densely populated, my co-workers son works and lives in the center of the City, they have sheltered for a good while now.
I will say that the Bay Area was the first to shelter in place and DiBlasio was pretty lax at the beginning. That difference may be showing up now.
Forest Bueller_bf
quash said:

Booray said:

Oh man, he was a good guy.
This is very sad. He sounds like a great guy.

But, are they saying he had underlying conditions here, or what..

Quote:

"This is a tragic development, but not an unforeseen one," Waco Mayor Kyle Deaver said in a statement Tuesday afternoon.

"I call on all of our community to keep the victim's family in their prayers and respect their privacy. Also, please continue doing everything possible to prevent further spread of COVID-19," he said.

"As we know, particular sectors of our community are acutely at risk for serious symptoms that may ultimately prove fatal. We continue to take every action to protect and to inform vulnerable populations and we encourage our healthy residents to bear in mind the potential cost of the virus' spread."

At times like this if people have underlying health issues they REALLY need to keep their distance from others.
Forest Bueller_bf
Booray said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Booray said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

ATL Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I will say that the Bay Area was the first to shelter in place and DiBlasio was pretty lax at the beginning. That difference may be showing up now.
I think you are right, for their population, CA. has done well.
PartyBear
Flaming Moderate said:

PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"New Math"

I would encourage any of you to go to the coronavirus.1point3acres.com site and do the math yourselves. I think their numbers are updated every few hours down to the county. I think they are more updated than Atlanta Bear's. I noticed the site had a death in McLennan County mentioned this morning before any press release.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"New Math"

I would encourage any of you to go to the coronavirus.1point3acres.com site and do the math yourselves. I think their numbers are updated every few hours down to the county. I think they are more updated than Atlanta Bear's. I noticed the site had a death in McLennan County mentioned this morning before any press release.
I saw it mentioned in a FB post by a WISD teacher about an hour before the official press release hit KWTX and WTH. My understanding is they sent out a district wide notice to faculty staff and parents. Statement from the Mayor notes he had underlying health issues, whatever those might be.
Forest Bueller_bf
ATL Bear said:

Osodecentx said:

ATL Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Yea, I heard Cuomo say that they had a big spike today. NY/NJ has 10,530 new cases today, the rest of the US 10,169 new ones.

This ain't going away anytime to soon.
ATL Bear
PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"New Math"

World and country numbers are updated identically with the Worldometer site. The county map is a good feature on the 1point3acres site.
Osodecentx
PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

PartyBear said:

Flaming Moderate said:

"New Math"

That is an excellent site

I like Atl Bear's compilation so I can compare today with the past
Mitch Blood Green
Trump is having a good press conference. No CEOs. Just professionals addressing the modeling and issues.
Forest Bueller_bf
tommie said:

Trump is having a good press conference. No CEOs. Just professionals addressing the modeling and issues.
I hope they are right with 100K but it seems very optimistic really. The regular flu killed 80K a couple years ago and nobody batted an eye.

If this extends through next Spring, which it may and 500 die per day of this, that alone would be 175,000 deaths.

Forest Bueller_bf
Also I'm getting sick of the US surpasses China headlines. China is full of ***** Projections from cremation activity and orders of urns indicate more like 48,000 deaths in Wuhan alone. And that number may be conservative,

They are full of it.
EatMoreSalmon
A blast from the past that might help us remember how to face a crisis.

Mitch Blood Green
Forest Bueller_bf said:

tommie said:

I hope they are right with 100K but it seems very optimistic really. The regular flu killed 80K a couple years ago and nobody batted an eye.

If this extends through next Spring, which it may and 500 die per day of this, that alone would be 175,000 deaths.

The new model is moving upward. What I find interesting is Washington State and Cali sheltered early and have held the line.

I'm concerned that Florida and Texas still hasn't sheltered.
blackie
tommie said:

What is very revealing is the complete clueless nature of reporters trying to ask intelligent questions concerning models. Math is beyond their comprehension. All they know is politics. Anything scientific or mathematical related is way beyond their pay grade. Regardless of how much you dumb it down for them, they still don't get it.
Booray
blackie said:

tommie said:

What is very revealing is the complete clueless nature of reporters trying to ask intelligent questions concerning models. Math is beyond their comprehension. All they know is politics. Anything scientific or mathematical related is way beyond their pay grade. Regardless of how much you dumb it down for them, they still don't get it.
They need to send the guys who do the calls on election night
riflebear
TDS - lol

First Page Last Page
Page 35 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.