Coronavirus updates here

432,536 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Booray
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bearitto said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

https://technocracy.news/cdc-confirms-extremely-low-covid-19-death-rate/?fbclid=IwAR1eSVHiPfQQwavEd9rjIqNiTzGrVIvfX-JZTKcjm8FpN1SC5qVrQ-Vyc1g

The newest data on the mortality rate from the CDC shows 0.26%. That means that in a town of 385 people, one old, fat, diabetic guy with COPD is probably gonna die. That's certainly a reason to shut down the world for the "Flu-Times-2". Or, in the rational world, it isn't.
Great.

Now, why are new cases falling sharply in so many countries and not here?

Less testing and fewer racist BLM riots drawing in thousands. The spike happened just after?

A. The early May 2020 Reopening
B. Late May Memorial Day
C. June Race Riots

D. Public stops social distancing and goes out without masks.

But less testing, that there's sheer genius.

Yes. It was the June race riots.
Then why did case rates in Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey continue to fall throughout June while case rates rose in Florida, Texas, Arizona, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and California?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/23/us-7-day-average-of-coronavirus-cases-surges-30percent-from-week-ago.html

Edit: the protests undoubtedly spread the virus; the question is how much and in comparison to other forms of ignoring social distancing, mask wearing etc (as well as increased testing). The chart I linked would call into question any narrative that says the protests were the primary cause of the recent increase in Covid cases.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

br53 said:

quash said:

Bearitto said:

https://technocracy.news/cdc-confirms-extremely-low-covid-19-death-rate/?fbclid=IwAR1eSVHiPfQQwavEd9rjIqNiTzGrVIvfX-JZTKcjm8FpN1SC5qVrQ-Vyc1g

The newest data on the mortality rate from the CDC shows 0.26%. That means that in a town of 385 people, one old, fat, diabetic guy with COPD is probably gonna die. That's certainly a reason to shut down the world for the "Flu-Times-2". Or, in the rational world, it isn't.
Great.

Too many people here with underlying conditions and an economic incentive to label the death as Covid related
Economic incentive: that $13k? How much do you think a two week stay in ICU costs?
My wife works as a nurse in assisted living. One stunt she saw was two residents diagnosed with COVID and sent to Methodist Hospital, who kept them overnight then sent them back to assisted living with nothing to show for the trip but a big bill.

This allows the hospital to count the patients as COVID patients for tax and grant purposes, but have them die somewhere else so the hospital does not have their deaths count against the facility. Even more, the hospital can then tweak the numbers to show a high number of cases relative to deaths, implying they are more successful in treatment than is really true.

So you believe unethical practices in hospitals is widespread?
Hard to say, but I know it's happening in some places. The combination of lost outpatient revenue and easy federal money by playing number games is too enticing for some.
I don't know that it is unethical. A terminal patient who is kept alive by the tech in ICU is one thing. A terminal patient who has a few days or weeks left should be sent back to a nursing home to get palliative care. We spend way too much money to prolong the end of life, even if it means keeping a heartbeat in a corpse. There's nothing wrong, in many cases, with going gently into the night. We want to be able to say "I did everything possible" instead of "We made it as comfortable as possible."
My problem is the stunt of a patient being recorded as being in ICU, put into an ICU bed with no ventilator, no palliative treatment or even diagnostics beyond taking vital signs, even no attention from a licensed MD before being returned to the assisted living center.

The move may or may not be legal, but's damn well unethical. And according to my wife it's become commonplace, which is extremely disrespectful to the patient, to be used solely to generate money without receiving any effective treatment at all.
Ugh. Seems like there would be a decision made in the ER before admission to ICU. It sounds like at her hospital there is a policy in place to make that decision the same for every patient: admit to ICU.
I'm biased of course, but I think that would be a policy decision made outside the control of doctors or nurses.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
br53
If the disease is so bad and we are so concerned about the spread, why are we sending people home once diagnosed with COVID? People have proven to be too irresponsible and selfish to trust that they will stay home and not spread the disease? It was predicted to infect millions here and has. So at the onset why didnt we go into some of the older abandoned hospitals and turn them into temporary units to monitor and keep the infected?
Jacques Strap

Jacques Strap
I'm not reading this but those of you with school age children may care from the American Academy of Pediatrics

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/clinical-guidance/covid-19-planning-considerations-return-to-in-person-education-in-schools/

COVID-19 Planning Considerations: Guidance for School Re-entry

TL;DR
With the above principles in mind, the AAP strongly advocates that all policy considerations for the coming school year should start with a goal of having students physically present in school.

blackie
br53 said:

If the disease is so bad and we are so concerned about the spread, why are we sending people home once diagnosed with COVID? People have proven to be too irresponsible and selfish to trust that they will stay home and not spread the disease? It was predicted to infect millions here and has. So at the onset why didnt we go into some of the older abandoned hospitals and turn them into temporary units to monitor and keep the infected?
The people that are being irresponsible are those that have no symptoms or do not believe they have Covid and are going out like this never happened. I doubt very few that have actually being diagnosed are going anywhere.

The ones sent home are those for whom nothing can be done but wait (and suffer) it out. No point in taking up medical resources and costing the patient money when the hospital can do nothing more than what the patient can do for themselves at home.
Osodecentx
quash said:

Bearitto said:

Great.

Would you be willing to install an App on your phone that would allow contact tracing by a government agency, e.g. S. Korea, China
br53
blackie said:

br53 said:

The people that are being irresponsible are those that have no symptoms or do not believe they have Covid and are going out like this never happened. I doubt very few that have actually being diagnosed are going anywhere.

The ones sent home are those for whom nothing can be done but wait (and suffer) it out. No point in taking up medical resources and costing the patient money when the hospital can do nothing more than what the patient can do for themselves at home.

There are many who are diagnosed that are not staying in and are living life as normal. These are the people that are running around without masks yelling Freedom and other stupid things. I understand that but if you can keep the patient in and away from others then you can potentially save many other patients. It is very communist like behavior to do this but I have seen many posters say that even if it saves 1 life then it is worth it. So either it is or it isnt.
Osodecentx
br53 said:

blackie said:

br53 said:

There are many who are diagnosed that are not staying in and are living life as normal. These are the people that are running around without masks yelling Freedom and other stupid things. I understand that but if you can keep the patient in and away from others then you can potentially save many other patients. It is very communist like behavior to do this but I have seen many posters say that even if it saves 1 life then it is worth it. So either it is or it isnt.
If you have the antibodies to COVID you aren't contagious. If you are contagious you should self quarantine.
br53
Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

blackie said:

br53 said:

If you have the antibodies to COVID you aren't contagious. If you are contagious you should self quarantine.
Is that a proven fact, I have not read it yet. I understand you should self quarantine and I would hope that people would be smart enough to self quarantine but we all know some of these folks have little to no regard for other people.
Osodecentx
br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

blackie said:

br53 said:

Is that a proven fact, I have not read it yet. I understand you should self quarantine and I would hope that people would be smart enough to self quarantine but we all know some of these folks have little to no regard for other people.
From CDC:

If you test positive
  • A positive test result shows you might have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold.
  • Having antibodies to the virus that causes COVID-19 might provide protection from getting infected with the virus again. If it does, we do not know how much protection the antibodies might provide or how long this protection might last.
  • Talk with your healthcare provider about your test result and the type of test you took to understand what your result means. Your provider might suggest you take a second type of antibody test to see if the first test was accurate.
  • You should continue to protect yourself and others since you could get infected with the virus again.
    • If you work in a job where you wear personal protective equipment (PPE), continue wearing PPE.
  • If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you might need another type of test called a viral test. This test identifies the virus that causes COVID-19. Decisions about testing are made by state and localexternal icon health departments or healthcare providers.
    • This test uses respiratory samples, such as a swab from the inside of your nose, to find out whether you have COVID-19.
  • You might test positive for antibodies even if you have never had symptoms of COVID-19. This can happen if you had an infection without symptoms, which is called an asymptomatic infection.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

GUIDANCE ON
INTERPRETING COVID-19 TEST RESULTS
https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Testing-Guidance.pdf

quash
Jacques Strap said:

"Lower immortality". What is the usual rate of immortality...
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
br53
Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

blackie said:

br53 said:

From CDC:

If you test positive
  • A positive test result shows you might have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold.
  • Having antibodies to the virus that causes COVID-19 might provide protection from getting infected with the virus again. If it does, we do not know how much protection the antibodies might provide or how long this protection might last.
  • Talk with your healthcare provider about your test result and the type of test you took to understand what your result means. Your provider might suggest you take a second type of antibody test to see if the first test was accurate.
  • You should continue to protect yourself and others since you could get infected with the virus again.
    • If you work in a job where you wear personal protective equipment (PPE), continue wearing PPE.
  • If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you might need another type of test called a viral test. This test identifies the virus that causes COVID-19. Decisions about testing are made by state and localexternal icon health departments or healthcare providers.
    • This test uses respiratory samples, such as a swab from the inside of your nose, to find out whether you have COVID-19.
  • You might test positive for antibodies even if you have never had symptoms of COVID-19. This can happen if you had an infection without symptoms, which is called an asymptomatic infection.

GUIDANCE ON

The word might is used alot in that blurb. The word might does not indicate a proven fact. All this tells me is that we might know something.
Osodecentx
br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

blackie said:

br53 said:

From CDC:

If you test positive

GUIDANCE ON

The word might is used alot in that blurb. The word might does not indicate a proven fact. All this tells me is that we might know something.
Point taken, but if you have the antibodies, you're in good shape. A mask might help, I wear one. A measles vaccination might protect you. Mumps vaccine might help. The vaccines cause your immune system to develop antibodies. Contracting COVID causes your body to develop antibodies to the strain of COVID you contracted.

• About 3 out of 100 people who get two doses of MMR vaccine will get measles if exposed to the virus. However, they are more likely to have a milder illness, and are also less likely to spread the disease to other people.
  • Two doses of MMR vaccine are 88% (range 31% to 95%) effective at preventing mumps. Mumps outbreaks can still occur in highly vaccinated U.S. communities, particularly in settings where people have close, prolonged contact, such as universities and close-knit communities. During an outbreak, public health authorities may recommend an additional dose of MMR for people who belong to groups at increased risk for mumps. An additional dose can help improve protection against mumps disease and related complications.

• br53
    Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

blackie said:

br53 said:

From CDC:

If you test positive

GUIDANCE ON

Point taken, but if you have the antibodies, you're in good shape. A mask might help, I wear one. A measles vaccination might protect you. Mumps vaccine might help. The vaccines cause your immune system to develop antibodies. Contracting COVID causes your body to develop antibodies to the strain of COVID you contracted.

• About 3 out of 100 people who get two doses of MMR vaccine will get measles if exposed to the virus. However, they are more likely to have a milder illness, and are also less likely to spread the disease to other people.
  • Two doses of MMR vaccine are 88% (range 31% to 95%) effective at preventing mumps. Mumps outbreaks can still occur in highly vaccinated U.S. communities, particularly in settings where people have close, prolonged contact, such as universities and close-knit communities. During an outbreak, public health authorities may recommend an additional dose of MMR for people who belong to groups at increased risk for mumps. An additional dose can help improve protection against mumps disease and related complications.

• This is my issue with all of Covid-19 as people compare them to other historical illnesses and as you do to the above vaccines. We dont have enough data to know anything yet and say with an educated mind what will or wont happen. How long have we studied the mmr vaccine? Since 1971. We have studied COVID19 since about January.
    Osodecentx
    br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

blackie said:

br53 said:

From CDC:

If you test positive

GUIDANCE ON

• This is my issue with all of Covid-19 as people compare them to other historical illnesses and as you do to the above vaccines. We dont have enough data to know anything yet and say with an educated mind what will or wont happen. How long have we studied the mmr vaccine? Since 1971. We have studied COVID19 since about January.
    Really good point. However, I'd rather have the antibodies to COVID than not.

I don't believe we can shut down society until we have a vaccine. As you point out, who knows what will happen with the vaccine (availability, efficacy, side effects)
    quash
    Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

blackie said:

br53 said:

From CDC:

If you test positive

GUIDANCE ON

I don't believe we can shut down society until we have a vaccine. As you point out, who knows what will happen with the vaccine (availability, efficacy, side effects)
    ... antivaxxers.
    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
    Osodecentx
    quash said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

blackie said:

br53 said:

From CDC:

If you test positive

GUIDANCE ON

... antivaxxers.
    I encourage them to stay strong, at least until I get mine vaccination
    br53
    Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

blackie said:

br53 said:

From CDC:

If you test positive

GUIDANCE ON

... antivaxxers.
    I am only trying to point out that we just dont have enough info to say what will happen and not happen with any certainty on COVID.

If they have a vaccine my family will be in line to get the vaccine as we are with most vaccinations. My question is what do schools do with kids and parents who are anti vaccinations?
    Jacques Strap
    quash said:

Jacques Strap said:

"Lower immortality". What is the usual rate of immortality...
    Good catch!
    Osodecentx
    br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

blackie said:

br53 said:

From CDC:

If you test positive

GUIDANCE ON

... antivaxxers.
    I am only trying to point out that we just dont have enough info to say what will happen and not happen with any certainty on COVID.

If they have a vaccine my family will be in line to get the vaccine as we are with most vaccinations. My question is what do schools do with kids and parents who are anti vaccinations?
    But you won't have enough info on the vaccine to say with 100% knowledge that it will work. The reason we want it is to develop antibodies. If you contract the virus in the wild you will also have the antibodies.

We have to make decisions without perfect knowledge. 50% of marriages end in divorce, but we get married.
    br53
    Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

blackie said:

br53 said:

From CDC:

If you test positive

GUIDANCE ON

... antivaxxers.

But you won't have enough info on the vaccine to say with 100% knowledge that it will work. The reason we want it is to develop antibodies. If you contract the virus in the wild you will also have the antibodies.

We have to make decisions without perfect knowledge. 50% of marriages end in divorce, but we get married.
    Usually ends up in divorce because somebody didnt have enough info and by the time they got the info it was too late. I doubt my sons doctor lets us get by without getting a vaccination due to his immune system and health issues.
    Bexar Pitts
    As of 3PM Mon 29th, McLennan County reporting 51 new Covid cases...total now of 795, with 592 active. 8 deceased, with 28 hospitalizations. Don't know status of those in hospital. And the spread continues. This from CovidWaco.com
    Booray
    Bexar Pitts said:

As of 3PM Mon 29th, McLennan County reporting 51 new Covid cases...total now of 795, with 592 active. 8 deceased, with 28 hospitalizations. Don't know status of those in hospital. And the spread continues. This from CovidWaco.com
    Tomorrow will be telling.51 is a lot for Waco historically, but well off the 70+ cases reported for last Wed-Fri. But I think it tends to dip on the weekend. Will be interested to see if we are back into the 70s or greater tomorrow.
    br53
    Bexar Pitts said:

Of the 70 available ventilators, 21 are in use by Covid patients. 36 of 54 ICU beds are in use.
    quash
    br53 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Of the 70 available ventilators, 21 are in use by Covid patients. 36 of 54 ICU beds are in use.
    Which is enough of a cushion to live your life. With a mask, social distancing, washing hands and staying home instead of cramming a bar.
    br53
    quash said:

br53 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Which is enough of a cushion to live your life. With a mask, social distancing, washing hands and staying home instead of cramming a bar.
    " Freedom!!!!! I aint wearing no mask you leftist devils!' I am kidding
    Osodecentx
    br53 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

15 in hospital on Sunday, 28 today.
    McLennan will double the number of cases by tomorrow (7 days)
    Bexar Pitts
    Osodecentx said:

br53 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

15 in hospital on Sunday, 28 today.
    McLennan will double the number of cases by tomorrow (7 days)
    I also noticed the big jump in hospitalizations. I'm wondering if Waco didn't take some Bell County patients to ease any possible strain down there? Guess we'll find out soon.
    whitetrash
    McLennan County death breakdown: 4 Hispanic 2 black 2 white.
    Osodecentx
    whitetrash said:

All male
    GShack
    I had to get my 6 year old daughter tested last week after she was exposed at school. She was negative. We quarantined while awaiting results. The school closed for a week.

Her pediatrician said two things.

1. We are all going to get it. Not if, but when.
    2. Unless you are high risk (elderly, other health issues), do not get the vaccine. Her fear, and mine, is that they will rush a vaccine. We will not know the long term effects.

I'm no anti-vaccination dad, but neither I nor my daughters are getting it.
    Canada2017
    Osodecentx said:

whitetrash said:

All male

My sister living in Rockwall, Texas told me this morning a 29 year old male died from the virus yesterday .

He had no pre existing conditions .

Yet the local 4th of July parade is still moving ahead as scheduled.

Bearitto
    Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

whitetrash said:

All male

My sister living in Rockwall, Texas told me this morning a 29 year old male died from the virus yesterday .

Well if your sister said it, it must be true.
    Canada2017
    Bearitto said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

whitetrash said:

All male

Well if your sister said it, it must be true.

That is the case .
    First Page Last Page
    Page 91 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.