Coronavirus updates here

430,937 Views | 4582 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
riflebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When CNN & MSNBC are calling you out you know you've lost bad. Nancy is the worst of the worst

Florda_mike
riflebear said:

When CNN & MSNBC are calling you out you know you've lost bad. Nancy is the worst of the worst

Wolf and Nan, both, having bad hair days
Sam Lowry
Wolf did just fine. What an ugly performance from Pelosi, though.
cinque
Why is Trump lying to the people about the US turning the corner on COVID while our case count is up to 51,000 daily?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Coronavirus itself is on life support. The Left is trying to keep it alive for three more weeks, but it is getting difficult. This sad and shameful era of American life ends on 11/3/2020. God Bless America.

MAGAA
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Florda_mike
Sam Lowry said:

Pelosi had a birdie

Wolf? A double bogey for the democrat cause

This is why your "objectivity" with the left isn't appreciated by myself! They don't play fair and those playing fair with this scum get eaten alive. You should be more careful and alert!

They must be opposed as they are the opposition to this country. They win, we ALL die
Sam Lowry
Florda_mike said:

Sam Lowry said:

Pelosi had a birdie

This is why your "objectivity" with the left isn't appreciated by myself! They don't play fair and those playing fair with this scum get eaten alive. You should be more careful and alert!

They must be opposed as they are the opposition to this country. They win, we ALL die
I don't know much about bowling metaphors.
quash
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Coronavirus itself is on life support. The Left is trying to keep it alive for three more weeks, but it is getting difficult. This sad and shameful era of American life ends on 11/3/2020. God Bless America.

MAGAA
I have three lawyers in my office quarantining from covid exposures. By 11/4/20 they all will have voted for the man who loves himself more than his country. And the Rona does not care.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Oldbear83
quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

MAGAA
I have three lawyers in my office quarantining from covid exposures. By 11/4/20 they all will have voted for the man who loves himself more than his country. And the Rona does not care.
You do realize that 'loves himself more than his country' applies to a whole lot of people in both major parties, right?
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
4th and Inches
quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

MAGAA
pretty vague statement... Trump who everybody says that yet he has done more for Americans that Biden whose familiy got rich of his position. Could apply to either canidate
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Florda_mike said:

Sam Lowry said:

Pelosi had a birdie

I don't know much about bowling metaphors.
I think it's a fencing metaphor. Birds like to sit on fences, and if you don't set the concrete right when you dig your posts or if you choose marshy ground, you can easily end up with a bog-like appearance.
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

MAGAA
You do realize that 'loves himself more than his country' applies to a whole lot of people in both major parties, right?
Context is your friend.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

MAGAA
I hope your lawyer friends make a complete and full recovery and that someday soon, their lives will get back to normal and will not dominated by Covid.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

MAGAA
Context is your friend.
But apparently you two are not on speaking terms.
Jacques Strap
Infection fatality rate of COVID-19 inferred from seroprevalence data

Publication: Bulletin of the World Health Organization; Type: Research Article ID: BLT.20.265892

Infection fatality rate of COVID-19

John P A Ioannidis
John P. A. Ioannidis is a Greek-American physician-scientist, writer and Stanford University professor who has made contributions to evidence-based medicine, epidemiology, and clinical research. Ioannidis studies scientific research itself, meta-research primarily in clinical medicine and the social sciences.

Quote:

Conclusion The infection fatality rate of COVID-19 can vary substantially across different locations and this may reflect differences in population age structure and casemix of infected and deceased patients and other factors. The inferred infection fatality rates tended to be much lower than estimates made earlier in the pandemic.

A limitation of this analysis is that several studies included have not yet been fully peerreviewed and some are still ongoing. Moreover, despite efforts made by seroprevalence studies to generate estimates applicable to the general population, representativeness is difficult to ensure,even for the most rigorous studies and despite adjustments made. Estimating a single infection fatality rate value for a whole country or state can be misleading, when there is often huge variation in the population mixing patterns and pockets of high or low mortality. Furthermore, many studies have evaluated people within restricted age ranges, and the age groups that are not included may differ in seroprevalence. Statistically significant, modest differences in seroprevalence across some age groups have been observed in several studies.
Quote:

Lower values have been seen in young children and higher values in adolescents and young adults,but these patterns are inconsistent and not strong enough to suggest major differences extrapolating across age groups. Acknowledging these limitations, based on the currently available data, one may project that over half a billion people have been infected as of 12 September, 2020, far more than the approximately 29 million documented laboratory-confirmed cases. Most locations probably have an infection fatality rate less than 0.20% and with appropriate, precise non-pharmacological measures that selectively try to protect high-risk vulnerable populations and settings, the infection fatality rate may be brought even lower.
Jacques Strap
TSA screens over 1M passengers on a single day for the first time since March

https://www.tsa.gov/news/press/releases/2020/10/19/tsa-screens-over-1m-passengers-single-day-first-time-march

WASHINGTON The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) screened over 1 million passengers Sunday, representing the highest number of passengers screened at TSA checkpoints since March 17, 2020. In addition to screening one million passengers in a single day, TSA screened 6.1 million passengers at checkpoints nationwide during the week (Mon., Oct. 12 through Sun., Oct. 18). That weekly volume also represents the highest weekly volume for TSA since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The low number from April 14 is amazing

blackie
Jacques....any thoughts on what is happening now in WI, UT, ND just to name a few states. Sounds like those folks are getting into a bad place.
cinque
trey3216
cinque said:

And the virus will still spread, lockdown or no lockdown. Same as it ever was. And the days go by
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Jacques Strap
Ireland - No travel beyong 3 miles from your house excep for work & "for work and other purposes deemed essential". I assume that means you can go to the grocery and pharmacy.

Ireland to impose 5km travel limit in strict new Covid lockdown

Quote:

From midnight on Wednesday the country will move to its highest lockdown tier for six weeks. Visits to private homes or gardens will not be permitted and there are to be no gatherings except for tightly controlled weddings and funerals.

A graduated fine system for those who breach the 5km travel limit with exceptions for work and other purposes deemed essential will be announced later this week. People who live alone or are parenting alone can pair with one other household as part of a support bubble. Two households can meet outdoors within the travel limit. Public transport will operate at 25% capacity.
Jacques Strap
blackie said:

Jacques....any thoughts on what is happening now in WI, UT, ND just to name a few states. Sounds like those folks are getting into a bad place.
I have not followed those states closely but as long as they have hospital capacity, I would not call it a bad place. New York did not run out of hospital capacity and treatment is better noe than then. If there is a capacity issue the Army Corps can erect a hospital in a short time period/ I would like to think the Governor would be on the phone to get a field hospital if they feel they need a field hospital. Most peopel won't need a hospital stay.

Take a look at Houston below as an example. Although the ICU exceeded 100% of normal TMC's contingency allowed them to switch other hospital beds to ICU beds. They never moved out of Phase 2 into phase 3. If you remember the 4 major hospitals in Houston called a press conference to basically tell the local press to stop scaring people because they could handle a surge. These other states likely have well managed hospitals also. At least I hope they do.

The Media
'All the hospitals are full': In Houston, overwhelmed ICUs leave COVID-19 patients waiting in ER

Quote:

Officials in Houston warn of a potential replay of what happened in New York in the spring, when thousands of people died as hospitals struggled to keep up.

The Hospital Administrators
Leaders of Houston's 4 largest hospitals say capacity is in good shape as coronavirus cases increase

Quote:

"There is not a scenario, in my opinion, to where the demand for our beds, especially ICUs, ventilators, PPE, etcetera, would eclipse our capability," said Mark Wallace, the President and CEO of Texas Children's Hospital said.

I do not think TMC got more than 1/3 of the way into phase 2.
cinque
One million new cases in the last month. Let somebody else try to arrest this virus. We owe it to ourselves.
D. C. Bear
cinque said:

One million new cases in the last month. Let somebody else try to arrest this virus. We owe it to ourselves.

There are many reasons to get rid of Trump. Somebody else being able to "arrest this virus," however, is a pipe dream.
J.R.
blackie said:

rounding the corner! Please!
nein51
Case counts seem largely irrelevant if the corresponding hospital stays and deaths aren't coming with them. In fact high case counts without those two factors would be a really good thing.

This is like people who look at total yards allowed as an indicator of whether a defense is good.
cinque
D. C. Bear said:

cinque said:

There are many reasons to get rid of Trump. Somebody else being able to "arrest this virus," however, is a pipe dream.
We won't know until we try. We certainly can't do worse.
D. C. Bear
cinque said:

D. C. Bear said:

cinque said:

You'd be surprised how much worse we could do.
Jacques Strap
https://thefederalist.com/2020/10/16/biden-adviser-ezekiel-emanuel-makes-money-by-keeping-you-on-lockdown/

Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel is a member of Joe Biden's public health advisory committee.

Quote:

"Until case numbers recede to a level at which we have the capacity to effectively test and trace nonessential businesses and interstate travel should be closed; restaurant service should be limited to takeout. People should stay home, going out only to get food and medicine or to exercise and get fresh air. Then, and only then, we can try a little more opening," Emanuel said in a recent interview.

He would also throw in a nationwide mask mandate, indoors and outdoors, because our mask mandates heretofore have been "a hodgepodge." True masking will only occur after deep cultural change, when masking is "normalized to the point that it's abnormal to not wear a mask out in public," Emanuel told McKinsey consulting.
Jacques Strap
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/10/20/925441975/studies-point-to-big-drop-in-covid-19-death-rates

Studies Point To Big Drop In COVID-19 Death Rates (among hospitalized COVID-19 patients)

Quote:

Two new peer-reviewed studies are showing a sharp drop in mortality among hospitalized COVID-19 patients. The drop is seen in all groups, including older patients and those with underlying conditions, suggesting that physicians are getting better at helping patients survive their illness.

"We find that the death rate has gone down substantially," says Leora Horwitz, a doctor who studies population health at New York University's Grossman School of Medicine and an author on one of the studies, which looked at thousands of patients from March to August.

The study, which was of a single health system, finds that mortality has dropped among hospitalized patients by 18 percentage points since the pandemic began. Patients in the study had a 25.6% chance of dying at the start of the pandemic; they now have a 7.6% chance.

Jacques Strap
https://reason.com/2020/10/20/the-cdcs-latest-antibody-data-confirm-huge-interstate-differences-in-covid-19-fatality-rates/

The CDC's Latest Antibody Data Confirm Huge Interstate Differences in COVID-19 Fatality Rates

Quote:

The latest data from antibody studies conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) across the country confirm that the death rate among Americans infected by the COVID-19 virus varies very widely from one state to another. The CDC's prevalence estimates for August, combined with contemporaneous death counts, suggest that the infection fatality rate (IFR) was at least 10 times higher in Connecticut than in Idaho, Nebraska, Oregon, Tennessee, or Utah, for example.
Gold Tron
nein51 said:

Case counts seem largely irrelevant if the corresponding hospital stays and deaths aren't coming with them. In fact high case counts without those two factors would be a really good thing.

This is like people who look at total yards allowed as an indicator of whether a defense is good.
Not "seem". Case numbers are completely irrelevant. All that matters are admissions,ICU beds and fatalities. More positives with no change in either of those three underscores the fact that the virus is not as bad as some want to make it out to be.
My pronouns are Deez/Dem.
cinque
D. C. Bear said:

cinque said:

D. C. Bear said:

cinque said:

You'd be surprised how much worse we could do.
In terms of Covid leadership we absolutely could not do worse.
Canada2017
Gold Tron said:

nein51 said:

Not "seem". Case numbers are completely irrelevant. All that matters are admissions,ICU beds and fatalities. More positives with no change in either of those three underscores the fact that the virus is not as bad as some want to make it out to be.
My doctor believes the virus is weakening .

Regardless the next 90 days are going to be difficult for the undisciplined or unlucky.
blackie
Canada2017 said:

Gold Tron said:

nein51 said:

Regardless the next 90 days are going to be difficult for the undisciplined or unlucky.
Hope he is correct on the first point. On the second unfortunately one's luck is dependent on the discipline of others to a large degree if you have to get out.

Question......was the doctor referring to your area or the country at large....considering the rapid rise in cases in the northern states?
Canada2017
blackie said:

Canada2017 said:

Gold Tron said:

nein51 said:

Hope he is correct on the first point. On the second unfortunately one's luck is dependent on the discipline of others to a large degree if you have to get out.

Question......was the doctor referring to your area or the country at large....considering the rapid rise in cases in the northern states?

Agreed

That's why social distancing is so critical.

He was referring to the entire country .
First Page Last Page
Page 128 of 131

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.