Reopen the Economy???

20,184 Views | 273 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jupiter
Kyle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam Lowry said:

contrario said:

bear2be2 said:

Waco1947 said:

bear2be2 said:

riflebear said:

Waco1947 said:

45 is willing to sacrifice the most vulnerable citizens on behalf of Wall Street. Shame on him. He has, at, no decency
You do realize Gov Cuomo and many other Dems are saying the same thing as Trump.

Those may not be our desires, but they are the likeliest outcomes. We're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Like it or not, you can prioritize the nation's health or its economy. You can't choose both and selecting one jeopardizes the other. Sadly, it really is that simple.
You are begging the question "How can 45 'open the economy?'"
I'm not responding to your OP, so 'opening the economy' is irrelevant to my post. I'm responding to the posted Tweet that pushes back against the notion that we're choosing the economy or old people. Unfortunately, that's exactly what we're doing in this lose-lose situation. If you choose to prioritize the economy, you are jeopardizing the health of our most vulnerable citizens. If you choose health, which I view as the only choice, you all but guarantee a recession. There's no good outcome here, but I can't in good conscience choose money over life.
Every day we keep US roadways open we are choosing money over life. We are saying the 90 people that will die today on US roadways don't matter. Every year 20K - 80K Americans die from the flu, but we haven't shut down the economy before. Were we saying the lives of those 20K-80K didn't matter? I'm not really sure how you can draw a line in the sand this time, but I've never seen you say we should shut down all roads to save thousands of lives per year. I don't remember you saying we need to shut down the world economy for previous flu seasons. Why now? Why is life so important to you now, but it wasn't before?
Thousands of lives per year. Not thousands of lives per year per year. That's the difference.

There's no epidemic of car accidents, and there's no epidemic of flu that imminently threatens our ability to handle it.
According to your experts, gun violence is an epidemic. By your logic, we should shutdown society to reduce the risk anyone is killed by a gun.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/06/health/gupta-gun-violence-prevention/index.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/09/10/gun-violence-public-health-crisis-requires-action-doctor-column/2268282001/
Sam Lowry
Kyle said:

Sam Lowry said:

contrario said:

bear2be2 said:

Waco1947 said:

bear2be2 said:

riflebear said:

Waco1947 said:

45 is willing to sacrifice the most vulnerable citizens on behalf of Wall Street. Shame on him. He has, at, no decency
You do realize Gov Cuomo and many other Dems are saying the same thing as Trump.

Those may not be our desires, but they are the likeliest outcomes. We're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Like it or not, you can prioritize the nation's health or its economy. You can't choose both and selecting one jeopardizes the other. Sadly, it really is that simple.
I'm not responding to your OP, so 'opening the economy' is irrelevant to my post. I'm responding to the posted Tweet that pushes back against the notion that we're choosing the economy or old people. Unfortunately, that's exactly what we're doing in this lose-lose situation. If you choose to prioritize the economy, you are jeopardizing the health of our most vulnerable citizens. If you choose health, which I view as the only choice, you all but guarantee a recession. There's no good outcome here, but I can't in good conscience choose money over life.
Every day we keep US roadways open we are choosing money over life. We are saying the 90 people that will die today on US roadways don't matter. Every year 20K - 80K Americans die from the flu, but we haven't shut down the economy before. Were we saying the lives of those 20K-80K didn't matter? I'm not really sure how you can draw a line in the sand this time, but I've never seen you say we should shut down all roads to save thousands of lives per year. I don't remember you saying we need to shut down the world economy for previous flu seasons. Why now? Why is life so important to you now, but it wasn't before?
Thousands of lives per year. Not thousands of lives per year per year. That's the difference.

There's no epidemic of car accidents, and there's no epidemic of flu that imminently threatens our ability to handle it.
According to your experts, gun violence is an epidemic. By your logic, we should shutdown society to reduce the risk anyone is killed by a gun.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/09/10/gun-violence-public-health-crisis-requires-action-doctor-column/2268282001/
Gun violence is neither an epidemic nor a matter of any relevance to this issue.
Bearitto
Kyle said:

D. C. Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Waco1947 said:

45 is willing to sacrifice the most vulnerable citizens on behalf of Wall Street. Shame on him. He has, at last, no decency
So for a consistency check, do you blame President Obama for the 15,000 people who died of H1N1? He took virtually no action and watched 15,000 die.

Yes or no - do you blame Obama and his inaction for those deaths?

I do not. But I do not blame President Trump for Covid-19. I just demand consistency - everything else is just bigotry.
You are begging the question. Can 45 reopen the economy? How?

Are you really this obtuse?
I actually don't think he's smart enough to be obtuse. I think he basically gets a few hours a month online at the sanitarium.

Let me do it. YOU ARE BEGGING THE QUESTION!!!!
Bearitto
Sam Lowry said:

Kyle said:

Sam Lowry said:

contrario said:

bear2be2 said:

Waco1947 said:

bear2be2 said:

riflebear said:

Waco1947 said:

Gun violence is neither an epidemic nor a matter of any relevance to this issue.

I don't know. Apparently 150 million people have died from gin violence in the US.
D. C. Bear
Bearitto said:

Sam Lowry said:

Kyle said:

Sam Lowry said:

contrario said:

bear2be2 said:

Waco1947 said:

bear2be2 said:

riflebear said:

Waco1947 said:

I don't know. Apparently 150 million people have died from gin violence in the US.

We never should have repealed the 18th amendment.
Bearitto
D. C. Bear said:

Bearitto said:

Sam Lowry said:

Kyle said:

Sam Lowry said:

contrario said:

bear2be2 said:

Waco1947 said:

bear2be2 said:

riflebear said:

Waco1947 said:

We never should have repealed the 18th amendment.

Too true.
Jack and DP
Quick, cheap testing is the key to opening back up for business. Workers and customers need to feel safe in a business. Employees need to be tested once a week for a month.
whitetrash
Bearitto said:

Sam Lowry said:

Kyle said:

Sam Lowry said:

contrario said:

bear2be2 said:

Waco1947 said:

bear2be2 said:

riflebear said:

Waco1947 said:

Not necessarily true. Some died from tequila or vodka violence instead.
Sam Lowry
Bearitto said:

Sam Lowry said:

Kyle said:

Sam Lowry said:

contrario said:

bear2be2 said:

Waco1947 said:

bear2be2 said:

riflebear said:

Waco1947 said:

You'll take my gin when you pry the shaker from my cold, numb fingers.
Oldbear83
Jack and DP said:

Quick, cheap testing is the key to opening back up for business. Workers and customers need to feel safe in a business. Employees need to be tested once a week for a month.
No.

It sounds great, but think it through.

First, even cheap testing means someone has to apply the test. Testing hundreds of millions of people over and over would require massive commitment of resources we need elsewhere.

Second, even the best tests are not 100% accurate. Inevitably, some would get the virus despite a negative test, and this would create a new panic about a 'virus which cannot be detected'.

Third, C-19 is just one of many illnesses people can catch. The common flu, ignored because it's not trendy, still infects many more people than C-19 will and kills more than C-19 will, for example. Focusing too much on just one disease is a mistake.

There are a number of other reasons not to test everyone, much less over and over, but these three should make the point. What's needed is common sense response.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Jack and DP
Massive testing would be common sense.

jupiter
Quote:

Because nobody has had this disease before, there is no pre-existing immunity to it, so it's super contagious. There is a big difference between a normal flu season, and a flu season where everybody on the planet catches the flu at the same time.

We don't know the true case fatality rate, but if the septum testing comes back showing the disease has spread more rapidly than previously though and the death rate is lower than we previously thought, the need for lockdowns becomes less pressing. They should probably still continue to alleviate the strain on hospitals being over stressed, but hopefully that means we only have one major wave of cases to deal with instead of multiple subsequent waves.
Jack Bauer
Nearly 3.3 million Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week more than quadruple the previous record set in 1982

No amount of $1200 checks can sustain this pace.
Oldbear83
"super contagious".

Actually, we are getting numbers on that. C-19 is more contagious than common influenza, but less than diseases like Measles or MERS.

Here is a good resource for this topic, by the way:

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/our-work/pubs_archive/pubs-pdfs/2018/180510-pandemic-pathogens-report.pdf

Note the recommended treatments according to the type of pathogen.
Jack Bauer

We went from 3.5% unemployment to 5.5% in one week.
Oldbear83
Jack Bauer said:

How crazy is it, that with a national crisis out of the blue, unemployment is still in single digits?
Jack Bauer
Oldbear83 said:

Jack Bauer said:

How crazy is it, that with a national crisis out of the blue, unemployment is still in single digits?
For now...it's only been one week of recording.
Oldbear83
Jack Bauer said:

Oldbear83 said:

Jack Bauer said:

True, yet still fascinating in context.
blackie
Quote:

This is missing the whole point of why we have a shutdown. The shutdown is not solely to try to decrease the deaths, but to try to do something that will keep our healthcare system, specifically ICUs, from being completely overwhelmed.

All the car accidents that occur each day are a blip to the emergency rooms and ICUs. However, having the numbers of coronavirus cases as is occurring in New York and other hot spots around the country and world are overwhelmingly exceeding what our hospitals can handle. We still have your car accidents, cancer procedures, heart-related emergencies, births and the like that will not take a pause because of the virus. We have no immunity to this, don't have a vaccine for it, and it is much more contagious than the normal flu, which usually is spread over a longer period. Neither the normal flu nor automobile accidents create anywhere near the demand for hospital resources as is being shown daily with this virus.

This whole shutdown is being done to try to not only prevent fewer illnesses and deaths while the virus runs its course, but more importantly to spread the load the hospitals and the healthcare community face over time such that it is not overwhelmed. Sure 90 car deaths a day matter, but they don't imperil the healthcare system's ability to function to handle the everyday emergencies that we encounter all the time.

Go ahead and stop the shutdown. We are seeing that a younger age and not having underlying medical conditions doesn't give you a pass as much as was once thought. So you can't rely on that, but we have positive proof that if left unchecked and the cases not spread out this will do in our ability to treat anybody with any certainty regardless of the reason they need medical care.
D. C. Bear
Jack Bauer said:

Oldbear83 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Yes, but people will be hiring back their work force like crazy when this is over.
Jack Bauer
D. C. Bear said:

Jack Bauer said:

Oldbear83 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Yes, but people will be hiring back their work force like crazy when this is over.
I'm no expert but I would assume business will boom whenever this is over. People have been cooped up for weeks/months, they will be ready to go to restaurants, sporting events, vacation, etc.
PartyBear
If the restaurants come back and people still have jobs and money. You assume when it comes back everyone and everything will come back just as everything was a month ago. I have a feeling if it opened up even next week, going out out to eat, booking a cruise for the summer, booking a flight to Orlando and week at WDW are going to be at the bottom of almost everyone's priorities.
Oldbear83
Jack Bauer said:

D. C. Bear said:

Jack Bauer said:

Oldbear83 said:

Jack Bauer said:

I'm no expert but I would assume business will boom whenever this is over. People have been cooped up for weeks/months, they will be ready to go to restaurants, sporting events, vacation, etc.
The rub will be the businesses which flat-out died under this crisis.

Easier to hire new staff than try to start a business again. And I did not see anything in the bill to help businesses come back from the dead.

Politicians don't understand real life.
jupiter
Kyle
Jack Bauer said:

"Ends justifies the means." Any outcome, the progressives win:
1. Blame President Trump
2. Damage the economy, which hurts incumbent
3. Expand Dependency
Kyle
PartyBear said:

If the restaurants come back and people still have jobs and money. You assume when it comes back everyone and everything will come back just as everything was a month ago. I have a feeling if it opened up even next week, going out out to eat, booking a cruise for the summer, booking a flight to Orlando and week at WDW are going to be at the bottom of almost everyone's priorities.
You think restaurants are the only things affected? Which grievance study did you major in?
Aliceinbubbleland
Kyle said:

PartyBear said:

You think restaurants are the only things affected? Which grievance study did you major in?
The shelf life of most restaurants, even in metro areas like Houston, are short lived. They come and go frequently.
jupiter
Kyle
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Kyle said:

PartyBear said:

The shelf life of most restaurants, even in metro areas like Houston, are short lived. They come and go frequently.
No doubt. Restaurants will not recover, but it is so much more. This grievance study snowflakes that think a government check will solve everything are severely misguided. That works for some but not the overall economy. The problem with this overacting hysteria is than no one can connect the dots or play chess (they play checkers).
D. C. Bear
Kyle said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Kyle said:

PartyBear said:

No doubt. Restaurants will not recover, but it is so much more. This grievance study snowflakes that think a government check will solve everything are severely misguided. That works for some but not the overall economy. The problem with this overacting hysteria is than no one can connect the dots or play chess (they play checkers).

The economy will claw its way back, just like it has with other shocks.
Kyle
D. C. Bear said:

Kyle said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Kyle said:

PartyBear said:

The economy will claw its way back, just like it has with other shocks.
You seriously think this is a shock? We literally have stopped the economy for months. You don't unwind that with a $1,000 check. No one has thought this through. We're not talking about another Great Depression but whether it will be worse than the original.
bear2be2
Kyle said:

Jack Bauer said:

1. Blame President Trump
3. Expand Dependency
So the entire world is in cahoots with the Democrats? Most other affected countries are taking more drastic measures than we have/are, doing the exact same damage to their own economies. As much as partisans on both sides want to make it one, this isn't a political issue. It's a global pandemic the likes of which we've never seen in our lifetimes.
bearassnekkid
bear2be2 said:

Kyle said:

Jack Bauer said:

1. Blame President Trump
3. Expand Dependency
So the entire world is in cahoots with the Democrats? Most other affected countries are taking more drastic measures than we have/are, doing the exact same damage to their own economies. As much as partisans on both sides want to make it one, this isn't a political issue. It's a global pandemic the likes of which we've never seen in our lifetimes.
Well, actually, the number of cases and deaths would both still need to increase by over 10x their current levels . . . just to equal a pandemic from this year. And last year. And the year before that.
PartyBear
The economy has shut itself down at the beginning of March in reaction to bad decisions by govt over the previous 2 months that lead to this thing to spread quickly without a response. No one shut Baylor down but Baylor, no one shut the NCAA down but the NCAA. No one shut the NBA down but the NBA. This list goes on through everything in the economy. No one shut anything down but individual businesses themselves. Then came the state and local shelter in place orders across the country.

Let's look at Florida. It has done nothing to close anything . But by taking this approach it's tourism industry decided to shut down. Disney is still not opening up for example. They infact have delayed reopening to some vague "later in the month of April maybe" timeline. If anything the Governor's having done nothing there is the cause of Disney's saying hell no, not in these conditions to reopening. Florida is about a week away from being in NY's condition btw. Now today or yesterday Orange County Florida did its own local shelter in place like many localities in Texas started a couple of weeks ago. But the lack of action against the virus is what is killing the economy. Sometimes laissez faire means business decides it doesn't want to do business. Case in point to this Florida example. Getting the pandemic under control is the best thing for business is what the economy is saying it wants.
Buddha Bear
Jack Bauer said:

Nearly 3.3 million Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week more than quadruple the previous record set in 1982

No amount of $1200 checks can sustain this pace.

If I were unemployed, I'd be more worried about the dropped insurance coverage. $1200 won't even cover cobra. A recently unemployed, uninsured American will lose their life to Covid at some point. And it will be used as an example.

Our healthcare system and the changes needed to it will be a bigger topic than it has ever been soon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.