A Study in Leadership

8,982 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Oldbear83
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

I hate the notion that the President is the leader of the free world.

He's the leader of the United States.

America first. We do something for you, you do something for us. We are NOT a charity.

True, we're not, but between the end of World War II and the start of the Trump Presidency, in many ways we we've sure acted like one. Among the many positive and in some cases historic things Trump has accomplished, turning this around is one of the things that's on the list.
Which charitable foreign aid has Trump eliminated that is positive in your view?

One example is demanding that other NATO countries, that have been able to pay more of their fair share for decades now, actually start doing so. Withdrawing the USA from the ridiculous Paris Climate Accords is another example. For all intents and purposes, you can throw better trade deals in there too as he's moving us away from allowing trade partners to use bad deals as a form of charity. Furthermore, he isn't delivering piles of cash to the likes of Iran. Defunding the WHO is another wise financial move.

I know you hate all things Trump, but do you seriously think Joe Biden is the answer??
I've never offered Biden up as a solution. I'm not a Biden supporter.
So what's your answer? Throw your vote away on a 3rd party candidate? Sit on the sidelines and don't vote, but keep going full speed ahead with your complaining?
I've been a life long Republican. The Republican Party that I knew, aside from certain foreign, econimic and domestic policies, once stood for character, honor, and integrity above all else. One of the most valuable things I have to give is my vote. I won't give that vote to someone who makes a mockery of those ideals. Witholding my vote doesn't diminish my right to speak out against someone who is dangerous to our country. The country would be for the better, if both conventions ended with a choice of different candidates.
"character, honor and integrity above all else." Since these three things rank higher than policy and action, can I assume you never would have allied yourself with the Russians in order to defeat Nazi Germany? Do all of your partners in all of your dealings pass the squeaky-clean test that you ask Trump to pass?

Apples and oranges. Can I assume you would tolerate Stalin as our leader as long as we defeated Germany?
Why can't y'all accept the fact HRC lost
I didn't vote for or support HRC. What does she have to do with Trump's character or performance as president? He stands on his own. She lost. He's not running against her.
TexasScientist
TexasScientist
America (President Trump) is ready to get back to normal (playing golf)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/05/23/america-president-trump-is-ready-get-back-normal-playing-golf/

It's worth noting, of course, that Trump was critical of his predecessor for playing golf in moments of crisis. (Trump's played 218 times as president by our count; it took Barack Obama until the third year of his second term to hit that number.) At one point, he criticized Obama for playing in the middle of "the N.Y.C. Ebola outbreak" an outbreak that consisted of one person. At another point, he criticized Obama for playing golf despite "all of the problems and difficulties" the country faced.
Oldbear83
The Trump haters are back to their normal spewing, I see,

And no one should be fooled into thinking TS/Waco ever supported Trump, in 2016 or now.

Canada2017
TexasScientist said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/05/23/america-president-trump-is-ready-get-back-normal-playing-golf/

It's worth noting, of course, that Trump was critical of his predecessor for playing golf in moments of crisis. (Trump's played 218 times as president by our count; it took Barack Obama until the third year of his second term to hit that number.) At one point, he criticized Obama for playing in the middle of "the N.Y.C. Ebola outbreak" an outbreak that consisted of one person. At another point, he criticized Obama for playing golf despite "all of the problems and difficulties" the country faced.

Same ridiculous attacks ....day after day .

CHP Bear
TexasScientist said:

How many of those deaths happened in blue state nursing homes? Yes, right in the New York Times backyard. Instead of focusing on blue state failed leadership the NYT gives us caricature of Trump. Makes me wonder about the leadership of the Times or lack of it.
CHP Bear
TexasScientist said:

Speaking of golf, The Match is now on the tube. Why don't you put the tablet down and enjoy this charity match. Chill and enjoy.
D. C. Bear
TexasScientist said:

Actually, it isn't "worth noting." It's rather like noting the color of the grass I just got done cutting is green. People, particularly their political opponents, have complained about presidents playing golf for as long as presidents have played golf. Nor is it noteworthy that politicians are hypocritical.

Gold Digest notes that as former President George W. Bush said in September 2013 of President Obama, "he ought to play golf," adding, "I know what it's like to be in the bubble. And I know the pressures of the job. And to be able to get outside and play golf with some of your pals is important for the president. It does give you an outlet."

You just enjoy whining about Trump whether it is justified or not.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

And no one should be fooled into thinking TS/Waco ever supported Trump, in 2016 or now.

Who would try to fool you into thinking that. I've never supported Trump. I recognized him for what he was in 2016 and before. I recognized he wasn't qualified to serve as president, the same as Ted Cruz or Lindsey Graham, and the rest of the Republican leadership. The difference is they sold their sole and made a deal with the devil.
TexasScientist
CHP Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

How many of those deaths happened in blue state nursing homes? Yes, right in the New York Times backyard. Instead of focusing on blue state failed leadership the NYT gives us caricature of Trump. Makes me wonder about the leadership of the Times or lack of it.
Trump wears the failures of NY state as much as the State authorities. As far a nursing homes go, it was Trump's CDC and Trump's appointed head ot the CDC that required hospitals send covid patients to nursing homes. Trump is the one that emplemented the policy of every state for itself, and failed to lead a coordinated effort for a national response to covid. The only right thing he did was suspend travel from China, but then he sat on his hands ignoring the problem for two months telling everyone it would simply go away in April, despite what we now know his staft and advisors was telling him all through January.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Who would try to fool you into thinking that. I've never supported Trump. I recognized him for what he was in 2016 and before. I recognized he wasn't qualified to serve as president, the same as Ted Cruz or Lindsey Graham, the rest of the Republican leadership. The difference is they sold their sole and made a deal with the devil.

We know by now you and Waco are sockpuppets of the same leftist ideologue. You were never Republican, let alone "life long" as you pretended. It's an old shill from the Left, but you are worse than most at selling it.
TexasScientist
D. C. Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Actually, it isn't "worth noting." It's rather like noting the color of the grass I just got done cutting is green. People, particularly their political opponents, have complained about presidents playing golf for as long as presidents have played golf. Nor is it noteworthy that politicians are hypocritical.

Gold Digest notes that as former President George W. Bush said in September 2013 of President Obama, "he ought to play golf," adding, "I know what it's like to be in the bubble. And I know the pressures of the job. And to be able to get outside and play golf with some of your pals is important for the president. It does give you an outlet."

I don't care if he or any president plays golf. I'm just pointing out the extreme hypocracy and dishonesty of Trump. Something Republicans used love to point out about Obama (no I didn't vote for Obama).
Mitch Blood Green
CHP Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

I'm gonna tell you an odd truth. Trump is president of the United States. Including blue states.

FTR, Times article doesn't have golfing Trump on it.
LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

much like election polls and COVID death counts, can we really trust an " Incalculable" number.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Who would try to fool you into thinking that. I've never supported Trump. I recognized him for what he was in 2016 and before. I recognized he wasn't qualified to serve as president, the same as Ted Cruz or Lindsey Graham, the rest of the Republican leadership. The difference is they sold their sole and made a deal with the devil.

We know by now you and Waco are sockpuppets of the same leftist ideologue. You were never Republican, let alone "life long" as you pretended. It's an old shill from the Left, but you are worse than most at selling it.
I'll stand my R credentials up against yours any day. I just didn't sell my sole out to the devil, or Q.
D. C. Bear
TexasScientist said:

D. C. Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

I don't care if he or any president plays golf. I'm just pointing out the extreme hypocracy and dishonesty of Trump. Something Republicans used love to point out about Obama (no I didn't vote for Obama).

Again, "Nor is it noteworthy that politicians are hypocritical."
LIB,MR BEARS
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

I'll stand my R credentials up against yours any day. I just didn't sell my sole out to the devil, or Q.
What you and Quash do is y'all's business. If you were truly an "R" you'd know we have a big tent.
D. C. Bear
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Yeah, well, as we all know devil wears Prada.
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

America first. We do something for you, you do something for us. We are NOT a charity.

True, we're not, but between the end of World War II and the start of the Trump Presidency, in many ways we we've sure acted like one. Among the many positive and in some cases historic things Trump has accomplished, turning this around is one of the things that's on the list.
Which charitable foreign aid has Trump eliminated that is positive in your view?

One example is demanding that other NATO countries, that have been able to pay more of their fair share for decades now, actually start doing so. Withdrawing the USA from the ridiculous Paris Climate Accords is another example. For all intents and purposes, you can throw better trade deals in there too as he's moving us away from allowing trade partners to use bad deals as a form of charity. Furthermore, he isn't delivering piles of cash to the likes of Iran. Defunding the WHO is another wise financial move.

I know you hate all things Trump, but do you seriously think Joe Biden is the answer??
So what's your answer? Throw your vote away on a 3rd party candidate? Sit on the sidelines and don't vote, but keep going full speed ahead with your complaining?
I've been a life long Republican. The Republican Party that I knew, aside from certain foreign, econimic and domestic policies, once stood for character, honor, and integrity above all else. One of the most valuable things I have to give is my vote. I won't give that vote to someone who makes a mockery of those ideals. Witholding my vote doesn't diminish my right to speak out against someone who is dangerous to our country. The country would be for the better, if both conventions ended with a choice of different candidates.
"character, honor and integrity above all else." Since these three things rank higher than policy and action, can I assume you never would have allied yourself with the Russians in order to defeat Nazi Germany? Do all of your partners in all of your dealings pass the squeaky-clean test that you ask Trump to pass?

Apples and oranges. Can I assume you would tolerate Stalin as our leader as long as we defeated Germany?
He's not running against her.
He ran against her the first three years he was in office. This year he's campaigning against himself.
Jack and DP
J.R. said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

Yet another thread from you .

Rarely bother to read them because its always one of 2 themes.

Hating on Trump or hating on religion .

Potentially some kind of weird self therapy, otherwise a repetitious waste of time .
I just want people to consider how lowbrow we have allowed the presidency to become. The article captures succinctly with whom we are dealing.
Low Brow is being entirely too kind. It is an absolute **** show hosted by the biggest Narcissist, Immoral, Insecure, Petulant Man-Child who has ever held the office. I've been around since Reagan and there is no President that is remotely close to the clown that I have ever witnessed. And before you RWNJ's throw out Obama, Clinton ....I didn't agree with most Obama's policies or politics, nor voted for him, but he is a good man, good husband, good father, good leader. Clinton, got a hummer from an intern and was indeed impeached and was indeed unseemly, but he cleaned up his act and turned out to be a really good President. Trump is just a miserable human being, which all you Fox viewers somehow seem to give him and his incessant, pathological lying. How you folks (proclaimed Christians)can give him a pass for his dereliction is just incomprehensible to me. I see it ever day, even in my family and I just don't know how that squares.

For all of that, we've had less American soldiers die during the Trump Presidency than W and Obama. We all probably identify with W more than any other President in our life time, but his gulf war was a catastrophe.
TexasScientist
LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

What you and Quash do is y'all's business. If you were truly an "R" you'd know we have a big tent.
The big tent you say I don't fall under? Q is not quash, but I think you know that.
TexasScientist
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

He's not running against her.
He ran against her the first three years he was in office. This year he's campaigning against himself.
Exactly.
TexasScientist
Jack and DP said:

J.R. said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

Potentially some kind of weird self therapy, otherwise a repetitious waste of time .
I just want people to consider how lowbrow we have allowed the presidency to become. The article captures succinctly with whom we are dealing.
Low Brow is being entirely too kind. It is an absolute **** show hosted by the biggest Narcissist, Immoral, Insecure, Petulant Man-Child who has ever held the office. I've been around since Reagan and there is no President that is remotely close to the clown that I have ever witnessed. And before you RWNJ's throw out Obama, Clinton ....I didn't agree with most Obama's policies or politics, nor voted for him, but he is a good man, good husband, good father, good leader. Clinton, got a hummer from an intern and was indeed impeached and was indeed unseemly, but he cleaned up his act and turned out to be a really good President. Trump is just a miserable human being, which all you Fox viewers somehow seem to give him and his incessant, pathological lying. How you folks (proclaimed Christians)can give him a pass for his dereliction is just incomprehensible to me. I see it ever day, even in my family and I just don't know how that squares.

For all of that, we've had less American soldiers die during the Trump Presidency than W and Obama. We all probably identify with W more than any other President in our life time, but his gulf war was a catastrophe.
And yet Trump's mismanagement of Covid is leading to more deaths than the Gulf War.
fadskier
TexasScientist said:

PA short film
MAY 15, 2020

[url=https://www.theatlantic.com/author/anne-applebaum/][/url]By Anne Applebaum
Staff writer at The Atlantic

One knows, of course, that Donald Trump behaves differently from the leaders of other countries, especially the leaders of other Western democracies. One knows that he disdains facts; that he does not read briefing papers; that he has no organizational talents; that he does not know how to make use of militaries, bureaucracies, or diplomatic services; that he has no basic knowledge of history or science, let alone government.

But seeing him in this video, produced by my colleagues in Atlantic Studios, juxtaposed with other world leaders during this coronavirus pandemic comes, nevertheless, as a shock. Chancellor Angela Merkel, President Emmanuel Macron, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and President Moon Jae-in all speak of evidence-based policy, of the need to take the disease seriously, of empathy and solidarity. Trump speaks of hoaxes, of a disease no different from the flu, of a "germ that has gotten so brilliant that we can't keep up with it," of disinfectant as a miracle cure. Even now, even in the worst public-health crisis in a century, he divides people instead of unifying them, creating precisely the kind of distrust that makes the disease harder to defeat. He cannot demonstrate empathy, because he is incapable of feeling any. He cannot demonstrate solidarity, because he has only disdain for his fellow citizens.

Americans, as a rule, rarely compare themselves with other countries, so convinced are we that our system is superior, that our politicians are better, that our democracy is the fairest and most robust in the world. But watch this video and ask yourself: Is this the kind of leadership you expect from a superpower? Does this make you feel confident in our future? Or is this man a warning signal, a blinking red light, a screaming siren telling all of us, and all of the world, that something about our political system has gone profoundly awry?

The only other choice was Hillary Clinton. I voted for the lesser of two evils and would vote for him against if she were running. Voting for Trump in 2020, has less to do with him or Biden and more to do about my political beliefs. The Democrats support too much that I am against.

I'm not sure what your point is (or anyone who posts stuff like this) as many of us who voted for Trump support him because that's what you do...you support the person in office. There are certainly things I do not like about him at all...but why do you require me to post what I don't like about Trump on a university message board? Does it make you feel better?

There are obviously two beliefs about the virus...and no doubt it is serious and that shelter-in-place has also done damage. What, in your opinion, should Trump do or have done? I have friends in Denmark and Germany. My German friends have said that Merkel is not popular over her handling of the virus and that there have been numerous protests. My Denmark friends indicate that there have been no protests there but that they inherently trust their government.

I just don't get the wailing and gnashing of teeth about Trump. He's not perfect...at all...but it sounds like, once again, we are in two camps...shelter in place and destroy the economy or open it back up and watch people die.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

Yes you did, and we all know it, Waco/TS.
CHP Bear
tommie said:

CHP Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

I'm gonna tell you an odd truth. Trump is president of the United States. Including blue states.

Thanks for the heads up on the caricature, unaware. Sure hope Times Editor doesn't read this board. Those in Editorial will get a reaming for a board poster doing them one better. I have to admit it gets the point across. As for President of blue states agree. Given you response I'm thinking you give Trump the blame for blue state nursing homes issues? I'm of the opinion those in blue state government are responsible for their states action? If not then why do we have them? Cashing a pay check? I view blaming Trump as CYA.
CHP Bear
TexasScientist said:

CHP Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Trump wears the failures of NY state as much as the State authorities. As far a nursing homes go, it was Trump's CDC and Trump's appointed head ot the CDC that required hospitals send covid patients to nursing homes. Trump is the one that emplemented the policy of every state for itself, and failed to lead a coordinated effort for a national response to covid. The only right thing he did was suspend travel from China, but then he sat on his hands ignoring the problem for two months telling everyone it would simply go away in April, despite what we now know his staft and advisors was telling him all through January.
Right and the dog ate your home work. Reading this I'm reminded of, "Old Mother Hubbard went to the cupboard to fetch her poor dog a bone, but when she got there the cupboard was bare. So the dog ate her. Just like the dog turning on Old Mother there are many like the dog ready to turn on Trump for the States and Federal Governments bare cupboard.
fadskier
How has the Trump administration mishandled the virus response?
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Johnny Bear
TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Johnny Bear said:

Doc Holliday said:

Well, let's see. If you add up all of the perfect Presidents we've had throughout history that have had no moral failings and/or skeletons in their closet, I'm pretty sure the answer is zero. Yes, Trump has obviously had some affairs in his past and per videotape evidence has also previously engaged in locker room talk and in each case he was wrong. I think it's significant that all of these things happened in the past (double digit years ago in virtually all cases). No, that doesn't make it "right", but it's at least a point of differentiation when you compare it to past Presidents like JFK and Bill Clinton as a couple of examples of people that clearly engaged in immoral behavior while in office (and there have been plenty of others in the past as well). There is no evidence whatsoever that Trump is running around on his wife currently or has done so since he ran for office because if he was seen even possibly ogling another woman, the MSM would be all over it. As far as any other types of provable acts that clearly violate "character, honor, and integrity" by Trump since he's run for office or been in office, please provide specific examples (and just because you don't like his "style" or the fact that he tweets aren't examples).

And as a final point, you can wish for a different set of choices all you want, but what you've got is Trump or an obviously impaired 78 year old career swamp creature who struggles to remember where he is or what it is he's supposed to be doing or saying on any given day. That's the choice. You certainly have the option of just sitting it out because you don't like that fact, but as you do your constant complaining and starting negative threads rings pretty hollow.
Jack and DP
TexasScientist said:

Jack and DP said:

J.R. said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

And yet Trump's mismanagement of Covid is leading to more deaths than the Gulf War.

What would you have done differently to avoid the deaths?

Democrat mayors equal Covid deaths.
Mitch Blood Green
fadskier said:

How has the Trump administration mishandled the virus response?

1. When the pandemic hit, he needed to be the president. He says he a wartime president, I can't imagine a war conducted by 50 states. A great idea would have been to get the governors to work with the federal government. In this moment, we can't keep having grievances against blue states or dinners that only invite republicans.

2. If he doesn't want to lead, Stop undermining states. There's been nothing more harmful than his tweets against governors like "free Michigan"

3. Understand both the problem and the resolution. To this point, we still don't have plan. He doesn't have to like the CDC plan. He should have worked with them and others to create one he believes in.

4. Get out of campaign mode. Start doing the job. Joe Biden will be there in August.

5. Don't be off the cuff. It's a crisis and your words matter.

6. Get off of twitter. I can still remember a time when you had a problem with a person, you called them. And you ignore people who need to be ignored.

7. Stop the pettiness with the press. Calling people names isn't helpful today.

8. Stop being partisan. Rona doesn't care about party, state lines or politics. We will not develop a blue state solution, it's also possible the answer doesn't come from US based scientists. So what. We will all live on this hill or die on this hill.

9. Wear a mask. Encourage the wearing of mask.

Trump talks about "Make America Great Again" this is no where near our finest hour. I don't know what he means by that but this is t it.

My read on history is our greatest hours have been when WE solved our problems. Today, our pronouns are ****ed up. There's no us and we. Trump has it within his power to change that. (If he chooses).
TexasScientist
Jack and DP said:

TexasScientist said:

Jack and DP said:

J.R. said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

What would you have done differently to avoid the deaths?

Democrat mayors equal Covid deaths.
They should not have trashed and dismantled the pandemic response team and plan in place when he took office.

He took the right step initially with China travel, but he stopped there.

He should have taken his advisors seriously in January when HHS and others (Peter Navarro) were warning in him the health care system wasn't prepared.

Instead of his denials and don't ask don't test, every state for itself de facto policy, he could have faced up to the problem and taken the lead in setting up and coordinating a national response. He could have coordinated procurement of supplies to address the magnitude of shortages we have, instead of leaving each state alone in their efforts (not all states are equal in ability).

He could have coordinated procuring tests early the rest of the world was using when it became apparent his CDC couldn't perform. He could have set up a national testing - tracing program to identify, trace and isolate those who have the virus and who had been exposed. The countries that took that approach have been least impacted. He should be doing this now. Instead, his encouragement of people to fully reopen and ignore safety precautions. He should realize the covid surge he is encouraging for later this summer and fall will hit on the eve of his reelection.
Mitch Blood Green
CHP Bear said:

tommie said:

CHP Bear said:

TexasScientist said:

Thanks for the heads up on the caricature, unaware. Sure hope Times Editor doesn't read this board. Those in Editorial will get a reaming for a board poster doing them one better. I have to admit it gets the point across. As for President of blue states agree. Given you response I'm thinking you give Trump the blame for blue state nursing homes issues? I'm of the opinion those in blue state government are responsible for their states action? If not then why do we have them? Cashing a pay check? I view blaming Trump as CYA.

Each is responsible for their action. My expectation is each also learns from the mistakes that were made and make better decisions going forward.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

You're just ranting and not making sense.
Oldbear83
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

You're just ranting and not making sense.
You are completely wrong, TS/Waco. I finally connected the dots when you started completing each other's posts and praising each other.

Now as for ranting, you are the one who brought up Q

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_(Star_Trek)

and you are the one obsessed with him.

It's funny to see you try the old 'lifelong Republican' line, especially when you regularly argue against the ideals of Cruz and Graham. It's even funnier to see you pretend to professions like clergy and the sciences, when your posts are full of emotion and a void of logic.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.