Riots & Looting

64,463 Views | 827 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by quash
Doc Holliday
How long do you want to ignore this user?

George Truett
fubar said:

Some of you seem to be more outraged by rioting and looting than you do about a police officer killing a man who was subdued and unable to resist arrest.

I find that to be astounding.
This!
George Truett
Doc Holliday said:

Remember when our country waited to see if justice would be served before rioting?

Justice has not been denied for George Floyd.

George Floyd has died in vain as people burn cities, communities and small business to the ground.

Sad.
Justice has already been denied for George Floyd.

He's dead.

I don't defend the violence at all, but with the last few months we've had with the murder in GA., the Central Park incident, and now this, we shouldn't be surprised that violence erupts.

Particularly when there were initial coverups of the GA and MN cases.
Brazos Place
Regardless of the position taken, not sure how these discussions help Baylor Athletics. Makes me hope none of our recruits read these posts, even though that is not the case.
Jack and DP
Right to bear arms - protecting their business

https://m.worldstarhiphop.com/apple/video.php?v=wshhhB2w3tSuRIVkX79A
Jack and DP
George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

Remember when our country waited to see if justice would be served before rioting?

George Floyd has died in vain as people burn cities, communities and small business to the ground.

Sad.

He's dead.

I don't defend the violence at all, but with the last few months we've had with the murder in GA., the Central Park incident, and now this, we shouldn't be surprised that violence erupts.

And people have been locked in the house for several months with nothing to do.
George Truett
Johnny Bear said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

These riots are based on singular instances.

That is wishful thinking. I'm not sure how people like you manage to ignore the racial tensions of the past few centuries in America, but basic equal treatment has still not been achieved, according to any given objective metric.

The law, only relatively recently, has been changed to allow for true equality, but we all know that the law is not equally applied.

Minorities are not killed at a greater clip than whites, contrary to popular leftist propaganda, but minorities are beat up, arrested, prosecuted, jailed at a far greater clip than whites.

This is not a singular instance, it is the culmination of centuries of injustice. While the media, and pop culture is complicit in enraging minorities over a bad take on equality, when it comes to cops murdering citizens, the general consensus that this is the latest in a long line of injustices is obviously correct.

Cops have have a long way to go to regain public trust, and are seemingly heading the opposite direction, with haste.
What a bunch of BS. Over the past 60 years, no nation in the history of mankind has done as much or more to right societal wrongs (that most definitely needed to be righted) and societally speaking, even the playing field for a minority of its citizens than the USA has done for the black community over the course of that time. Nobody is denying we have a lot of bad history regarding the plight and treatment of blacks and the black community, but on the other hand we have a bunch of people that want to deny the obvious progress and improvement in that regard over the last half century plus. I've lived through the time period we're talking about and it's a very different world than it used to be in this regard - thank goodness.

Does that mean racism has been eliminated? Of course not and just like crazy lunatics will never be eliminated, individuals here and there who are bigots (that exist in all communities with varying skin colors and ethnicities) will never be totally eradicated. And by the way, all of them are wrong and all of them have counterproductive/divisive beliefs. The norm, however, is the vast majority are not racists or bigots, but since there is so much to gain politically by claiming that's not the case per those on the left, they'll never acknowledge it and will always claim the opposite is true.

As far as this terrible, deadly incident in Minneapolis, yes, it most definitely is a "one off" type of occurrence by some bad cops. Yes, sadly and tragically there are some bad cops out there (some of them even served at the highest levels of law enforcement during the Obama Administration), but the vast majority do anywhere from an adequate to an outstanding job of serving and protecting. It's both wholly inaccurate and ridiculous to portray this as some kind of widespread systemic problem. It isn't. It's a rare occurrence and hopefully the perpetrators of this crime will be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

There are some bad, evil people in the USA in any legal profession/vocation you want to name, but the vast majority clearly aren't and when that small minority of bad/evil people commit a crime or atrocity it's absurd to paint everyone (or even the majority) in that profession/vocation as being the equivalent thereof - especially including law enforcement.
This is what we whites tell ourselves, but it isn't true.

The Central Park incident is a good example. The woman who called the cops on the black man was a liberal Democrat. But she immediately pulled the racist card like a pro when she saw an unfamiliar black man and knew what to say to the cops. It's like programming we (white and black) have in us that we see black men as a threat.

It's also telling about our country that immediately after two terms of a high-principled black man we elect a non-principled white troll.

I wish I could say I'm free of racism, but I can't. It's deeply programmed in me.

People of color know racism is still systemic in our country while we whites engage in magical thinking that it isn't.

I think it's healthier to confess that racism is in our DNA and that it's still a problem in our country.

Frankly, I don't know what the answer is. I would like to say it's in the church, but Sunday morning is still the most segregated hour of the week.

As for me, I intend to be more engaged in dialogue and prayer with people of color in my church to understand their perspectives and look for solutions.
Jack and DP
bradley122270 said:

Regardless of the position taken, not sure how these discussions help Baylor Athletics. Makes me hope none of our recruits read these posts, even though that is not the case.

LSU just won a National championship. Have you ever looked at the TD political board? This is child's play in comparison.
D. C. Bear
Jack and DP said:

George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sad.

He's dead.

It's not a good combination.
George Truett
Jack and DP said:

George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sad.

He's dead.

?
Johnny Bear
bularry said:

Johnny Bear said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

That is wishful thinking. I'm not sure how people like you manage to ignore the racial tensions of the past few centuries in America, but basic equal treatment has still not been achieved, according to any given objective metric.

The law, only relatively recently, has been changed to allow for true equality, but we all know that the law is not equally applied.

Minorities are not killed at a greater clip than whites, contrary to popular leftist propaganda, but minorities are beat up, arrested, prosecuted, jailed at a far greater clip than whites.

This is not a singular instance, it is the culmination of centuries of injustice. While the media, and pop culture is complicit in enraging minorities over a bad take on equality, when it comes to cops murdering citizens, the general consensus that this is the latest in a long line of injustices is obviously correct.

Cops have have a long way to go to regain public trust, and are seemingly heading the opposite direction, with haste.
What a bunch of BS. Over the past 60 years, no nation in the history of mankind has done as much or more to right societal wrongs (that most definitely needed to be righted) and societally speaking, even the playing field for a minority of its citizens than the USA has done for the black community over the course of that time. Nobody is denying we have a lot of bad history regarding the plight and treatment of blacks and the black community, but on the other hand we have a bunch of people that want to deny the obvious progress and improvement in that regard over the last half century plus. I've lived through the time period we're talking about and it's a very different world than it used to be in this regard - thank goodness.

Does that mean racism has been eliminated? Of course not and just like crazy lunatics will never be eliminated, individuals here and there who are bigots (that exist in all communities with varying skin colors and ethnicities) will never be totally eradicated. And by the way, all of them are wrong and all of them have counterproductive/divisive beliefs. The norm, however, is the vast majority are not racists or bigots, but since there is so much to gain politically by claiming that's not the case per those on the left, they'll never acknowledge it and will always claim the opposite is true.

As far as this terrible, deadly incident in Minneapolis, yes, it most definitely is a "one off" type of occurrence by some bad cops. Yes, sadly and tragically there are some bad cops out there (some of them even served at the highest levels of law enforcement during the Obama Administration), but the vast majority do anywhere from an adequate to an outstanding job of serving and protecting. It's both wholly inaccurate and ridiculous to portray this as some kind of widespread systemic problem. It isn't. It's a rare occurrence and hopefully the perpetrators of this crime will be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

There are some bad, evil people in the USA in any legal profession/vocation you want to name, but the vast majority clearly aren't and when that small minority of bad/evil people commit a crime or atrocity it's absurd to paint everyone (or even the majority) in that profession/vocation as being the equivalent thereof - especially including law enforcement.

What a white washed version of our current world

You are absolutely clueless and instead of admitting it you frame the world that you see and experience as the absolute truth. Amazing

"Clueless" huh? Please specifically enlighten me as to exactly what in the post is untrue, but please spare me things like the slavery excuse (which ended 155 years ago), or other things that all went away well over 40 or more years ago like segregation, Jim Crow, etc. It's the 21st Century and if you think white cops enmasse are out there "hunting" poor, innocent black guys, you are the clueless one.
D. C. Bear
George Truett said:

Jack and DP said:

George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sad.

He's dead.

?

Why the "?" ?
George Truett
bradley122270 said:

Yep.

I've been horrified at some of the posts that have popped up on the first page as popular.

I pray that recruits don't read those.

I think the mods should do something so those posts don't appear on the first page.
Jack and DP
George Truett said:

Johnny Bear said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

The Central Park incident is a good example. The woman who called the cops on the black man was a liberal Democrat. But she immediately pulled the racist card like a pro when she saw an unfamiliar black man and knew what to say to the cops. It's like programming we (white and black) have in us that we see black men as a threat.

It's also telling about our country that immediately after two terms of a high-principled black man we elect a non-principled white troll.

I wish I could say I'm free of racism, but I can't. It's deeply programmed in me.

People of color know racism is still systemic in our country while we whites engage in magical thinking that it isn't.

I think it's healthier to confess that racism is in our DNA and that it's still a problem in our country.

Frankly, I don't know what the answer is. I would like to say it's in the church, but Sunday morning is still the most segregated hour of the week.

As for me, I intend to be more engaged in dialogue and prayer with people of color in my church to understand their perspectives and look for solutions.

The woman in Central Park was told by a man - you go ahead and do what you do and I'll do what I do and you're not going to like it. I can easily see that comment as very threatening to a woman who is alone. How would your wife feel hearing that?
George Truett
D. C. Bear said:

George Truett said:

Jack and DP said:

George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sad.

He's dead.

?

Why the "?" ?
Not sure that people being locked away had anything to do with the riots.
George Truett
Jack and DP said:

George Truett said:

Johnny Bear said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

The woman in Central Park was told by a man - you go ahead and do what you do and I'll do what I do and you're not going to like it. I can easily see that comment as very threatening to a woman who is alone. How would your wife feel hearing that?
If it had been a white man, she would have assumed he was saying he was going to contact authorities. Because he was black, she assumed other intentions.

She also lied when she called the police. The video shows clearly that he didn't threaten her.
Jack and DP
George Truett said:

D. C. Bear said:

George Truett said:

Jack and DP said:

George Truett said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sad.

He's dead.

?

Why the "?" ?
Not sure that people being locked away had anything to do with the riots.

People not working, going to school, or playing sports certainly makes rioting more likely.
Jack and DP
George Truett said:

Jack and DP said:

George Truett said:

Johnny Bear said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

If it had been a white man, she would have assumed he was saying he was going to contact authorities. Because he was black, she assumed other intentions.

She also lied when she called the police. The video shows clearly that he didn't threaten her.

Strange men can always be a threat to a woman, as they are physically stronger. When they say "they're going to do what they do and you aren't going to like it", that can easily be construed as physical violence or rape. Regardless of race.
D. C. Bear
Johnny Bear said:

bularry said:

Johnny Bear said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

What a white washed version of our current world

You are absolutely clueless and instead of admitting it you frame the world that you see and experience as the absolute truth. Amazing

"Clueless" huh? Please specifically enlighten me as to exactly what in the post is untrue, but please spare me things like the slavery excuse (which ended 155 years ago), or other things that all went away well over 40 or more years ago like segregation, Jim Crow, etc. It's the 21st Century and if you think white cops enmasse are out there "hunting" poor, innocent black guys, you are the clueless one.

How many cops (black, white or otherwise) would have to be "out there "hunting" poor, innocent black guys" to make many, if not most, "poor, innocent black guys" feel like they were being literally hunted every time they stepped out of their homes? For that matter, how many cops in the past would need to have been hunting "poor, innocent, black guys" to have the same effect?
Johnny Bear
George Truett said:

Johnny Bear said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

The woman in Central Park was an INDIVIDUAL who did an idiotic thing. Again, nobody is claiming we don't have people like that in the country that exist in all communities. The point is they are a tiny minority and to indict our entire society because of them is ludicrous and asinine. You can provide one off examples all you want, but it's just flat wrong to blanket characterize the mostly good people of our country because of stories that are the exception instead of the rule.

And I don't care what the racial composition of Barrack Obama is, he was unquestionably one of the most corrupt and dishonest Presidents we've ever had who demonstrably illegally spied on and attempted to sabotage the campaign of a rival POTUS candidate. He deserves serious prison time and isn't worthy to tie Trump's shoes from an honesty standpoint.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
bradley122270 said:

Yep, nothing like shielding an eighteen year old from real world discussion so they don' t get their feelings hurt and play for someone else's football team. Yes, we are Baylor.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
BUMBA1
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

bradley122270 said:

Yep, nothing like shielding an eighteen year old from real world discussion so they don' t get their feelings hurt and play for someone else's football team. Yes, we are Baylor.

Aren't you a T Shirt Fan? Go buy another shirt please. Some of these quotes are highly offensive and completely ridiculous.
Mitch Henessey
Johnny Bear said:

George Truett said:

Johnny Bear said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

The woman in Central Park was an INDIVIDUAL who did an idiotic thing. Again, nobody is claiming we don't have people like that in the country that exist in all communities. The point is they are a tiny minority and to indict our entire society because of them is ludicrous and asinine. You can provide one off examples all you want, but it's just flat wrong to blanket characterize the mostly good people of our country because of stories that are the exception instead of the rule.

And I don't care what the racial composition of Barrack Obama is, he was unquestionably one of the most corrupt and dishonest Presidents we've ever had who demonstrably illegally spied on and attempted to sabotage the campaign of a rival POTUS candidate. He deserves serious prison time and isn't worthy to tie Trump's shoes from an honesty standpoint.
Sometimes I wonder what it's like to be this blissfully unaware of the goings on in the world around me. Is it painful? Does it manifest itself as a dull headache at all times? Or is it like bouncing around from cloud to cloud, everything being rainbows and daisies? Never once having to think about the fact that one's own experience in the world can be radically different from the experience of another person, solely due to the way they look.
Waco1947
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

The riots and looting were coming no matter what. The murder of George Floyd was just the excuse to light the fuse.
Great insight. Why were the riots and looting coming?
Forest Bueller_bf
Doc Holliday said:

Apparently the cop that killed George Floyd worked with each other for 17 years!!!

That's a pretty big thing to leave out of this story.
They worked security at the same place, even the same shifts. Floyd worked inside the Club and the cop on the outside, still you would think they knew each other. That is a very interesting fact that has come up.

The office worked there 17 years, I think Floyd worked there less time than that.
commonground

I don't watch the news so I don't know if this was covered, but looks like a cop may have actually started the rioting. Uncomfirmed officially, but people who know the guy have said it's true

I think this is worth noting when people call the protestors "animals" in this thread
Booray
BUMBA1 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

bradley122270 said:

Aren't you a T Shirt Fan? Go buy another shirt please. Some of these quotes are highly offensive and completely ridiculous.
Regardless of the merits of his positions, I can assure you that R2 is the furthest thing possible from a t-shirt fan.
Waco1947
"Clueless" huh? Please specifically enlighten me as to exactly what in the post is untrue, but please spare me things like the slavery excuse (which ended 155 years ago), or other things that all went away well over 40 or more years ago like segregation, Jim Crow, etc. It's the 21st Century and if you think white cops enmasse are out there "hunting" poor, innocent black guys, you are the clueless one."

I cannot spare you from history and its impact today. The past is a part of our national identity. Blacks still suffer from the sins of our fathers, grandfathers and great nX fathers. One cannot be spared of their personal past or our national past.
robby44
Jack and DP said:

George Truett said:

Johnny Bear said:

Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

Dogs are legally required to be leashed in that park
She got put in check and didn't like it
There was no threat
Waco1947
Johnny Bear "
Quote:

There are some bad, evil people in the USA in any legal profession/vocation you want to name, but the vast majority clearly aren't and when that small minority of bad/evil people commit a crime or atrocity it's absurd to paint everyone (or even the majority) in that profession/vocation as being the equivalent thereof - especially including law enforcement."
George Truett
"This is what we whites tell ourselves, but it isn't true.

As for me, I intend to be more engaged in dialogue and prayer with people of color in my church to understand their perspectives and look for solutions. (GT you are so right about personal engagement. Thank you for the clarity of your response to JB)

I, too, try to engage at the personal level. A brief story from yesterday's dusk.
As I walk my dog, I pass her almost nightly. She is black. We say, "Hi." That's it.

Last night I stopped her and said, "May I offer you an apology on behalf of racist white people and those whites who not stand against this horror in Minnesota? My heart breaks for you an black people."
"I am sorry say that again."
I did. Then we had a terrific conversation. She was so willing to engage me a white man. So much common ground. She was so willing to answer my tough questions about me, white people, and her experience as a black.
I found healing and a beginning for race relations.
corncob pipe
Wherever there are lockdowns, who's in charge. Wherever there is massive poverty in the streets, who's in charge. Wherever cities are burning, who's in charge. Democrats, and we're asking for your vote this fall.

Have a nice day
BUMBA1
Waco1947 said:

Johnny Bear "
Quote:

There are some bad, evil people in the USA in any legal profession/vocation you want to name, but the vast majority clearly aren't and when that small minority of bad/evil people commit a crime or atrocity it's absurd to paint everyone (or even the majority) in that profession/vocation as being the equivalent thereof - especially including law enforcement."
George Truett
"This is what we whites tell ourselves, but it isn't true.

As for me, I intend to be more engaged in dialogue and prayer with people of color in my church to understand their perspectives and look for solutions. (GT you are so right about personal engagement. Thank you for the clarity of your response to JB)

I, too, try to engage at the personal level. A brief story from yesterday's dusk.
As I walk my dog, I pass her almost nightly. She is black. We say, "Hi." That's it.

Last night I stopped her and said, "May I offer you an apology on behalf of racist white people and those whites who not stand against this horror in Minnesota? My heart breaks for you an black people."
I did. Then we had a terrific conversation. She was so willing to engage me a white man. So much common ground. She was so willing to answer my tough questions about me, white people, and her experience as a black.
George and Waco - one of the most admirable and courageous things I've read on this post. Thank you sincerely.
Forest Bueller_bf
commonground said:

I don't watch the news so I don't know if this was covered, but looks like a cop may have actually started the rioting. Uncomfirmed officially, but people who know the guy have said it's true

I think this is worth noting when people call the protestors "animals" in this thread
The guy breaking the windows was being an animal, everybody else seemed to be trying to stop him.
commonground
Forest Bueller_bf said:

commonground said:

The guy breaking the windows was being an animal, everybody else seemed to be trying to stop him.
and the guy breaking the windows was a cop (likely) whereas the people trying to stop him were the protestors. I think my point still stands
ValhallaBear
Waco1947 said:

Embarrassing and pathetic

You ooze weakness

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.