Ted Cruz bails to Cancun

28,255 Views | 430 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by boognish_bear
sombear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaylorBJM said:

sombear said:

Never liked Cruz but this is a non-issue. This is one of the most popular vacation weeks. If I had a planned family vacation, I would have taken it too. Because of social media, we care far too much about "optics." Now, is it a bad move politically? No doubt. I'm sure social media is eating it up.

You're right, this is a huge vacation time of year. In fact, it's the first time since 2014 I haven't travelled out of country during this exact week. Several of my business friends are in the same boat too. But you know what? All but two of them cancelled. Some for personal reasons, some because flights were cancelled, and some believe it or not, because they run companies and restaurants which employ a lot of people. People who are generally paid by the hour and can't go in to work right now. Leaving now would be both bad for optics, and bad for their employees and respective families.

Littered throughout this mess the past 3-4 days have been acts of real kindness from good hearted people. People like Mattress Mack, Michael Huff, countless church leaders and well-known restauranteurs.

People offering up their homes and businesses as shelter, people buying meals in the thousands, people's driving around communities with their 4x4s to check on people who need help and deliver food and water, etc.

Those people are helping where it's needed the most.

Those who are doing the exact opposite are currently sitting first class on a plane to Mexico to get as far away as possible.
Big, mean, scary first class . . . .

Cruz' flights obviously weren't canceled, and he doesn't have a small business. And since you opened this door, let's look at the actual effects. So, Cruz, if his home even had power and water (much of Houston does not), would have used more of both, therefore hurting others had he canceled. He also would have hurt airport and airline employees, the airport and airlines, and employees and businesses in Mexico. And if I still had young kids, I would not want them to be at home with no power or water. But to heck with it all because . . . optics.
D. C. Bear
PartyBear said:

bubbadog said:

D. C. Bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Ted Cruz is human trash -- a sniveling weasel of a man. I'm not sure what more he needs to do to prove that to some people.

Well, all he needs to do to become a "man of the people" is change that (R) at the end of his name to a (D).
A scumbag by any other name is still a scumbag.

Ted's career arc reminds me a little of Newt Gingrich.
Newt was a radical member of the SDS at Tulane. Then as he plotted out a political career, he realized that, in those days, he could have a faster rise to power as a conservative Republican in Georgia than as a Democrat. In other words, his politics were not born out of conviction but out of opportunism.

Ted wants power for Ted. If it were more advantageous for him politically to be aligned with The Squad, Ted would start wearing white pant suits and hanging out with AOC.

He can probably borrow Lindsey Graham's as long as it isn't on a Saturday night.

I think it is hilarious that DC and a couple others post they are objective and are not Republicans yada yada. and actually think anyone believes them.

I'm not a Republican, but I really don't care whether you believe me.

In my earlier response I was going to go with "why are you bringing Lindsey Graham into this?" but then I decided it might not be appropriate to mock someone for his struggles in wardrobe choices.
contrario
I wish I could find the old threads a few months ago that were about democrats telling their constituents not to travel because of COVID, but then traveled themselves. I know for a fact HuMcK, Katz and b2b were not critical of those politicians.

For the record, I thought it was ridiculous when the democrats politicians did it and I think it's ridiculous for Ted Cruz to do it while millions of his constituents are suffering.
BaylorBJM
Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

I think this thread is a pretty good illustration of why Republicans are losing the demographic fight the way they are. In many cases, they -- and their constituents -- have lost or abandoned all sense of shared suffering and community in favor of a brand of individualism that simply manifests itself as selfishness.

You can see that in the number of "So what ..." responses here from hard-core libertarian or conservative types. The "so what" here is that Ted Cruz doesn't feel any real connection to his constituents and is only concerned about himself and his own well-being. Beyond showing an extreme lack of leadership in a time of crisis, this just exposes him for the selfish ******* he is. It's really that simple.
I think it's a good illustration of why Democrats get away with hypocrisy in more cases than Republicans.

A dozen or so democrats, including Gavin Newsom, never got the backlash Ted Cruz is receiving right now for ordering businesses to lockdown while they took vacations and dined with dozens of people.

Call it whataboutism all you want, and state you're against hypocrisy, but I guaruntee even YOU won't stand a chance fighting against the leftist dominated media mob if you wanted to. You can't end Democrats for their hypocrisy, but you can with the GOP. These are the rules and you can't even see it.

lulz. What in the word are you talking about?

Newssome and his ilk were OBLITERATED by the media, celebrities, etc for weeks on end. Seriously, I made a post on here months ago making fun of him but also stating it also shouldn't be the lead story on CNN because it's also shouldn't be leading the "real" news. Give him tons of *****

So far, Cruz is mostly just getting hammered on Twitter -and rightfully so. That's it.

But sure, go ahead and play that victim card you play so well. This weather outside is very fitting for your posting style.
BaylorBJM
sombear said:

BaylorBJM said:

sombear said:

Never liked Cruz but this is a non-issue. This is one of the most popular vacation weeks. If I had a planned family vacation, I would have taken it too. Because of social media, we care far too much about "optics." Now, is it a bad move politically? No doubt. I'm sure social media is eating it up.

You're right, this is a huge vacation time of year. In fact, it's the first time since 2014 I haven't travelled out of country during this exact week. Several of my business friends are in the same boat too. But you know what? All but two of them cancelled. Some for personal reasons, some because flights were cancelled, and some believe it or not, because they run companies and restaurants which employ a lot of people. People who are generally paid by the hour and can't go in to work right now. Leaving now would be both bad for optics, and bad for their employees and respective families.

Littered throughout this mess the past 3-4 days have been acts of real kindness from good hearted people. People like Mattress Mack, Michael Huff, countless church leaders and well-known restauranteurs.

People offering up their homes and businesses as shelter, people buying meals in the thousands, people's driving around communities with their 4x4s to check on people who need help and deliver food and water, etc.

Those who are doing the exact opposite are currently sitting first class on a plane to Mexico to get as far away as possible.

Cruz' flights obviously weren't canceled, and he doesn't have a small business. And since you opened this door, let's look at the actual effects. So, Cruz, if his home even had power and water (much of Houston does not), would have used more of both, therefore hurting others had he canceled. He also would have hurt airport and airline employees, the airport and airlines, and employees and businesses in Mexico. And if I still had young kids, I would not want them to be at home with no power or water. But to heck with it all because . . . optics.

Lulz, can't argue with that flawless logic!
Jack Bauer
D. C. Bear
Jack Bauer said:

Yeah, that's a lie.
bear2be2
fadskier said:

bear2be2 said:

I think this thread is a pretty good illustration of why Republicans are losing the demographic fight the way they are. In many cases, they -- and their constituents -- have lost or abandoned all sense of shared suffering and community in favor of a brand of individualism that simply manifests itself as selfishness.

You can see that in the number of "So what ..." responses here from hard-core libertarian or conservative types. The "so what" here is that Ted Cruz doesn't feel any real connection to his constituents and is only concerned about himself and his own well-being. Beyond showing an extreme lack of leadership in a time of crisis, this just exposes him for the selfish ******* he is. It's really that simple.
I haven't noticed that they are losing any demographics. And what do you expect Cruz to do? Our electrical grid is not controlled by the federal or state government (thank goodness)

So you just need the appearance of care and concern? That's where we differ, I don't. I don't need a politician to pretend to care...which is why I thought it stupid for people like Waco47 to get angry when Trump didn't say "nice, hopeful things" when 3,000 people would die of COVID in a day. I don't need Biden to either but for the record Waco47 (or anyone else for that matter) hasn't been angry on this board that Biden hasn't issued any condolences or hopeful sayings when we top 3,000 deaths in a day.
I expect him -- and everyone else -- to do what little good he can in whatever sphere of influence he has. Go check on a neighbor. Bring them some groceries if they need it. You don't have to publicize it either. Do it because it's the right thing to do.

This isn't rocket science. It's being a good neighbor and community member. Hell, it's being a practicing Christian.

Nothing exposes a person's character like adversity. And Ted Cruz has proven yet again that he has none.
Doc Holliday
BaylorBJM said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

I think it's a good illustration of why Democrats get away with hypocrisy in more cases than Republicans.

A dozen or so democrats, including Gavin Newsom, never got the backlash Ted Cruz is receiving right now for ordering businesses to lockdown while they took vacations and dined with dozens of people.

Call it whataboutism all you want, and state you're against hypocrisy, but I guaruntee even YOU won't stand a chance fighting against the leftist dominated media mob if you wanted to. You can't end Democrats for their hypocrisy, but you can with the GOP. These are the rules and you can't even see it.
So far, Cruz is mostly just getting hammered on Twitter -and rightfully so. That's it.
Bull***** All front page:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/18/politics/ted-cruz-cancun-texas-disaster-electricity-power-water/index.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/sen-ted-cruz-comes-under-fire-after-photos-purportedly-show-n1258249

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/ap-source-sen-cruz-traveled-mexico-family-vacation-75971727?cid=clicksource_4380645_3_heads_hero_live_hero_hed

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/18/us/ted-cruz-cancun.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage
J.B.Katz
BaylorBJM said:

sombear said:

This.

Every city needs a Mattress Mack and Houston is lucky he and his business are there, invested in the welfare of the community as well as in making a profit and being a local employer.
bear2be2
Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

I've never denied the double-standard you mention here. I wish it would stop.

But I can't control how the media and Democrat voters police their own. I can only control my own reaction to stories like this. And I'll be damned if I'm ever going to defend any of these *******s out of tribal allegiance. You can send them all on a long walk off a short pier as far as I'm concerned.
bear2be2
Jack Bauer said:

If Ted Cruz was handing out water and food to Texans, would that really change the way Dems think of him?
Who cares? If he was doing those things, he'd actually be helping people in a time of need, which is actually important.

Some of you people have completely lost yourselves and whatever values you claim to have to tribal politics. And it's just freaking sad.
bear2be2
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Really, really dumb on Cruz's part. He had to have known how bad this would look, and if he didn't, that might be worse. And especially after he had criticized someone for going to Cabo during a pandemic.

But still not as bad as killing nursing home patients and then covering it up, all while getting praise and an award from the left.
Cuomo's time is coming, and deservedly so.
J.B.Katz
Jack Bauer said:

Blaming his kids? That's a new low even for Ted.
J.B.Katz
bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Really, really dumb on Cruz's part. He had to have known how bad this would look, and if he didn't, that might be worse. And especially after he had criticized someone for going to Cabo during a pandemic.

But still not as bad as killing nursing home patients and then covering it up, all while getting praise and an award from the left.
Agreed. Cuomo should have talked a lot less & worked a lot harder for the people in his state. If they don't vote him out next time they can it's on them.
Jack Bauer
bear2be2 said:

Jack Bauer said:

If Ted Cruz was handing out water and food to Texans, would that really change the way Dems think of him?
Who cares? If he was doing those things, he'd actually be helping people in a time of need, which is actually important.

Some of you people have completely lost yourselves and whatever values you claim to have to tribal politics. And it's just freaking sad.
Ha - love the sanctimonious lecturing going on here!!
bear2be2
contrario said:

I wish I could find the old threads a few months ago that were about democrats telling their constituents not to travel because of COVID, but then traveled themselves. I know for a fact HuMcK, Katz and b2b were not critical of those politicians.

For the record, I thought it was ridiculous when the democrats politicians did it and I think it's ridiculous for Ted Cruz to do it while millions of his constituents are suffering.
I was absolutely critical of those Democratic politicians whether I said it here or not. And if you don't believe me, I will say unequivocally here and now that all of those people are hypocrites and all should be voted out of positions of influence.

For about the 12,000th time, I have no use for any of these pieces of ***** And no tribal obligation to defend any of them.
Wrecks Quan Dough
sombear said:

BaylorBJM said:

sombear said:

In Ted's defense, it was American First Class, which is almost the equivalent of an Exit Row seat on Southwest. Except Southwest is more laid back and you get to go through Love Field, which is an easier airport to get through than DFW.
PartyBear
bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Abbott's ' debacle now is even bigger. On top of his own Covid disaster.
bear2be2
J.B.Katz said:

Jack Bauer said:

What a dip*****
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Abbott's ' debacle now is even bigger.
Not really. Cuomo's decisions literally killed thousands of people, and his administration seemingly intentionally covered that up to avoid accountability for those decisions.

Abbott's a ****ty leader, too. But going on Hannity and talking nonsense during a disaster isn't nearly as bad as sending COVID patients back into nursing homes and then doctoring the death numbers to hide the impact of that decision.
PartyBear
bear2be2 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Jack Bauer said:

What a dip*****

I believe there has been confirmation that Fled Cruz didn't book his flight back until 6 am this morning. This contradicts his claim if true.
PartyBear
bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Not really. Cuomo's decisions literally killed thousands of people, and his administration seemingly intentionally covered that up to avoid accountability for those decisions.

Abbott's a ****ty leader, too. But going on Hannity and talking nonsense during a disaster isn't nearly as bad as sending COVID patients back into nursing homes and then doctoring the death numbers to hide the impact of that decision.

Keep in mind a lot have died of COVID in Texas as well due to mismanagement. Abbott is lying now about neglecting Texas into its current crisis.
Wrecks Quan Dough
PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Keep in mind a lot have died of COVID in Texas as well due to mismanagement. Abbott is lying now about neglecting Texas into its current crisis.
What is Abbott supposed to do? Control the weather? Only a Democrat is dumb enough to believe the weather can be controlled.
fadskier
bear2be2 said:

fadskier said:

bear2be2 said:

I haven't noticed that they are losing any demographics. And what do you expect Cruz to do? Our electrical grid is not controlled by the federal or state government (thank goodness)

So you just need the appearance of care and concern? That's where we differ, I don't. I don't need a politician to pretend to care...which is why I thought it stupid for people like Waco47 to get angry when Trump didn't say "nice, hopeful things" when 3,000 people would die of COVID in a day. I don't need Biden to either but for the record Waco47 (or anyone else for that matter) hasn't been angry on this board that Biden hasn't issued any condolences or hopeful sayings when we top 3,000 deaths in a day.
I expect him -- and everyone else -- to do what little good he can in whatever sphere of influence he has. Go check on a neighbor. Bring them some groceries if they need it. You don't have to publicize it either. Do it because it's the right thing to do.

This isn't rocket science. It's being a good neighbor and community member. Hell, it's being a practicing Christian.

Nothing exposes a person's character like adversity. And Ted Cruz has proven yet again that he has none.
How do you know he hasn't done things like you suggest? Real Christian behavior would be him doing it and not just for photo ops. So where is your evidence that he has done nothing?

Face it, you just want to be mad.
J.B.Katz
bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Can they impeach a governor? What Cuomo did would certainly be grounds for it.
robby44
First they came for Ted Cruz but I didn't speak out because seriously **** that guy
fadskier
J.B.Katz said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.B.Katz said:

Robert Wilson said:

What do you expect him to do? Fix your broken pipes?
Maybe get out in Houston and lead some relief efforts for people who have been w/out water and heat for a long time?

You don't think public servants should actually lead in serving the public instead of bailing to go on vacation in another country?
How do you know he hasn't done those things? Do you want pictures? The you'd just accuse him of doing it for political reasons...face it, you'd be angry either way.
J.B.Katz
PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Jack Bauer said:

What a dip*****

I believe there has been confirmation that Fled Cruz didn't book his flight back until 6 am this morning. This contradicts his claim if true.
Right about the time that Twitter started exploding with posts about Ted's not very excellent adventure to Cancun.
fadskier
PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Oh good grief....people died because they caught a virus. What mismanagement are you talking about?
bear2be2
fadskier said:

bear2be2 said:

fadskier said:

bear2be2 said:

How do you know he hasn't done things like you suggest? Real Christian behavior would be him doing it and not just for photo ops. So where is your evidence that he has done nothing?

Face it, you just want to be mad.
Because you can't do those things from a plane or Cancun.

As a leader, he should stick out this storm with his neighbors. All of it. Be of service in whatever small way possible.

Take your Republican glasses off for a minute and ask yourself what you would think if your boss went on an expensive vacation to Cancun in the middle of a crisis while asking you and your co-workers to work 80-plus hours in ****ty conditions to save your job. This is inexcusable behavior from a person in a leadership position.
PartyBear
J.B.Katz said:

bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Can they impeach a governor? What Cuomo did would certainly be grounds for it.

I'm certain without having read all 50 state constitutions, that each one having been modeled after the US Constitution has similar language as the US Constitution pertaining to impeachment of elected officials.
fadskier
HuMcK said:

Did you catch me defending any of the pols breaking their own lockdown orders? It is beyond inexcusable for Cruz to hightail it to Cancun while the state suffers, so why are you here excusing it?
Why is it beyond excusable? He doesn't have a weather machine and he doesn't control electricity. He's not breaking my orders like those politicians who violated their own orders.

It's not the same.
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

fadskier said:

bear2be2 said:

So anyone traveling right now is not a good neighbor nor a Christian?

I agree with you that Cruz is tone deaf, but wow.
PartyBear
J.B.Katz said:

PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

J.B.Katz said:

Jack Bauer said:

What a dip*****

Right about the time that Twitter started exploding with posts about Ted's not very excellent adventure to Cancun.

It was exploding starting around midnight actually.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.