Ted Cruz bails to Cancun

28,175 Views | 430 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by boognish_bear
Mothra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

I think this thread is a pretty good illustration of why Republicans are losing the demographic fight the way they are. In many cases, they -- and their constituents -- have lost or abandoned all sense of shared suffering and community in favor of a brand of individualism that simply manifests itself as selfishness.

You can see that in the number of "So what ..." responses here from hard-core libertarian or conservative types. The "so what" here is that Ted Cruz doesn't feel any real connection to his constituents and is only concerned about himself and his own well-being. Beyond showing an extreme lack of leadership in a time of crisis, this just exposes him for the selfish ******* he is. It's really that simple.
Ah geez. This board certainly has it share of drama queens.
J.B.Katz
fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.B.Katz said:

Robert Wilson said:

What do you expect him to do? Fix your broken pipes?
Maybe get out in Houston and lead some relief efforts for people who have been w/out water and heat for a long time?

You don't think public servants should actually lead in serving the public instead of bailing to go on vacation in another country?
How do you know he hasn't done those things? Do you want pictures? The you'd just accuse him of doing it for political reasons...face it, you'd be angry either way.
Links showing Ted did do any of these things?
Mothra
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Really, really dumb on Cruz's part. He had to have known how bad this would look, and if he didn't, that might be worse. And especially after he had criticized someone for going to Cabo during a pandemic.

But still not as bad as killing nursing home patients and then covering it up, all while getting praise and an award from the left.
Of course, you won't see the resident libs and lib sympathizers complaining about that. Cruz should resign for flying to Cancun, but no mention whatsoever of a guy that literally has blood on his hands (I started a thread on this topic just last week).
Mothra
PartyBear said:

J.B.Katz said:

bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Really, really dumb on Cruz's part. He had to have known how bad this would look, and if he didn't, that might be worse. And especially after he had criticized someone for going to Cabo during a pandemic.

But still not as bad as killing nursing home patients and then covering it up, all while getting praise and an award from the left.
Cuomo's time is coming, and deservedly so.

Abbott's ' debacle now is even bigger.
Not really. Cuomo's decisions literally killed thousands of people, and his administration seemingly intentionally covered that up to avoid accountability for those decisions.

Abbott's a ****ty leader, too. But going on Hannity and talking nonsense during a disaster isn't nearly as bad as sending COVID patients back into nursing homes and then doctoring the death numbers to hide the impact of that decision.
Can they impeach a governor? What Cuomo did would certainly be grounds for it.

I'm certain without having read all 50 state constitutions, that each one having been modeled after the US Constitution has similar language as the US Constitution pertaining to impeachment of elected officials.
Do you think Cuomo should be impeached?
bear2be2
Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

fadskier said:

bear2be2 said:

I think this thread is a pretty good illustration of why Republicans are losing the demographic fight the way they are. In many cases, they -- and their constituents -- have lost or abandoned all sense of shared suffering and community in favor of a brand of individualism that simply manifests itself as selfishness.

You can see that in the number of "So what ..." responses here from hard-core libertarian or conservative types. The "so what" here is that Ted Cruz doesn't feel any real connection to his constituents and is only concerned about himself and his own well-being. Beyond showing an extreme lack of leadership in a time of crisis, this just exposes him for the selfish ******* he is. It's really that simple.
I haven't noticed that they are losing any demographics. And what do you expect Cruz to do? Our electrical grid is not controlled by the federal or state government (thank goodness)

So you just need the appearance of care and concern? That's where we differ, I don't. I don't need a politician to pretend to care...which is why I thought it stupid for people like Waco47 to get angry when Trump didn't say "nice, hopeful things" when 3,000 people would die of COVID in a day. I don't need Biden to either but for the record Waco47 (or anyone else for that matter) hasn't been angry on this board that Biden hasn't issued any condolences or hopeful sayings when we top 3,000 deaths in a day.
I expect him -- and everyone else -- to do what little good he can in whatever sphere of influence he has. Go check on a neighbor. Bring them some groceries if they need it. You don't have to publicize it either. Do it because it's the right thing to do.

This isn't rocket science. It's being a good neighbor and community member. Hell, it's being a practicing Christian.

Nothing exposes a person's character like adversity. And Ted Cruz has proven yet again that he has none.
So anyone traveling right now is not a good neighbor nor a Christian?

I agree with you that Cruz is tone deaf, but wow.
Those who intentionally flee disaster for personal comfort while their neighbors suffer are poor neighbors IMO. And those who do that from leadership positions are particularly ****ty leaders.
CHP Bear
Doc Holliday said:

J.B.Katz said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.B.Katz said:

Robert Wilson said:

Maybe get out in Houston and lead some relief efforts for people who have been w/out water and heat for a long time?

You don't think public servants should actually lead in serving the public instead of bailing to go on vacation in another country?
It would be better if you just skipped to the part where you tell us you want to generate faux outrage in order to remove him from office or kill his political career. All while you don't give a sh*T about the dozen or so elected officials who took vacations after ordering lockdowns.

I already know you'll respond that those politicians should be held accountable too...yet you said nothing about them.
Ain't that the truth.
fadskier
J.B.Katz said:

fadskier said:

J.B.Katz said:

Doc Holliday said:

J.B.Katz said:

Robert Wilson said:

How do you know he hasn't done those things? Do you want pictures? The you'd just accuse him of doing it for political reasons...face it, you'd be angry either way.
Links showing Ted did do any of these things?
That's my point. You have no evidence that he hasn't done anything. Many Christians do things without bragging about them or taking selfie's doing them or, like Beto, patting himself on the back on Twitter
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

fadskier said:

bear2be2 said:

I haven't noticed that they are losing any demographics. And what do you expect Cruz to do? Our electrical grid is not controlled by the federal or state government (thank goodness)

So you just need the appearance of care and concern? That's where we differ, I don't. I don't need a politician to pretend to care...which is why I thought it stupid for people like Waco47 to get angry when Trump didn't say "nice, hopeful things" when 3,000 people would die of COVID in a day. I don't need Biden to either but for the record Waco47 (or anyone else for that matter) hasn't been angry on this board that Biden hasn't issued any condolences or hopeful sayings when we top 3,000 deaths in a day.
I expect him -- and everyone else -- to do what little good he can in whatever sphere of influence he has. Go check on a neighbor. Bring them some groceries if they need it. You don't have to publicize it either. Do it because it's the right thing to do.

This isn't rocket science. It's being a good neighbor and community member. Hell, it's being a practicing Christian.

Nothing exposes a person's character like adversity. And Ted Cruz has proven yet again that he has none.

Those who intentionally flee disaster for personal comfort while their neighbors suffer are poor neighbors IMO. And those who do that from leadership positions are particularly ****ty leaders.
I agree not a good look, but not nearly as big a deal as you are making it.

As up in arms as you are about Cruz taking a vacation during an ice storm, I am surprised you didn't post your outrage at Cuomo fudging the numbers on nursing home deaths when there were a couple of threads on that last week. We are literally talking about a guy who has blood on his hands, and not a peep from you.

You choose small hills to die on.
PartyBear
I actually do not know the full allegations. If he lied or broke the law yes. Do you think Abbott should resign or be impeached? Do you think Cruz should resign over the insurrection or this stunt or both?
Mothra
PartyBear said:

I actually do not know the full allegations. If he lied or broke the law yes. Do you think Abbott should resign or be impeached?
You haven't researched the issue? He lied about approximately 3,000 nursing home deaths because he was afraid he might be investigated regarding his own policies that led to the deaths. His own secretary admitted as much.

Yet you are up in arms because Ted Cruz took a vacation during an ice storm. Wow.

https://twitter.com/JaniceDean/status/1362409180305510405?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1362429547912826882%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsicem365.com%2Fforums%2F7%2Ftopics%2F81393%2F4
fadskier
PartyBear said:

I actually do not know the full allegations. If he lied or broke the law yes. Do you think Abbott should resign or be impeached?
No, for what reason?
PartyBear
Obviously that is the difference between you and I. I just finished telling you Cuomo should resign or be impeached if he broke the law. Again I have been busy. I haven't followed the NY situation entirely as I said. You will not take that position about any Republican and on top of that you get upset at people for calling out Republicans who have done terribly.

I'll ask again. Should Abbott resign or be impeached or resign over this current debacle or Covid handling ? Should Cruz resign over the insurrection and or this stunt?
bear2be2
Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

fadskier said:

bear2be2 said:

As up in arms as you are about Cruz taking a vacation during an ice storm, I am surprised you didn't post your outrage at Cuomo fudging the numbers on nursing home deaths when there were a couple of threads on that last week. We are literally talking about a guy who has blood on his hands, and not a peep from you.

You choose strange hills to die on.
You might want to reread this thread. I've made my thoughts on Cuomo very clear.

I don't post in a lot of threads on this board. That doesn't mean I don't have thoughts on those topics. I'm just more inclined to respond to the things said here I disagree with, so I tend to ignore those threads in which I'm part of a broad consensus. When you can find an instance of me defending any of those scumbags out of tribal allegiance, let me know. Otherwise, my silence can often be interpreted as agreement -- though likely to a more moderated degree.

And I have stronger thoughts on Ted Cruz than some others because he is my senator. His bull**** impacts me on a more local level.
J.B.Katz
fadskier said:

HuMcK said:

Did you catch me defending any of the pols breaking their own lockdown orders? It is beyond inexcusable for Cruz to hightail it to Cancun while the state suffers, so why are you here excusing it?
Why is it beyond excusable? He doesn't have a weather machine and he doesn't control electricity. He's not breaking my orders like those politicians who violated their own orders.

It's not the same.
Then keep voting for him. You have low expectations and Ted will be sure to keep meeting them.

I want the senators and House reps we pay our tax dollars to represent us to be public leaders and public servants.

One critical aspect of that role is leading during a crisis and setting a tone that snowstorms and power outages aren't political and we're all in it together so we need to pull together and help each other. By that measure, Mattress Mack is a real leader.

If what's happening in Texas isn't a crisis I don't know what is and Cruz flew away from it.
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

fadskier said:

bear2be2 said:

You might want to reread this thread. I've made my thoughts on Cuomo very clear.

I don't post in a lot of threads on this board. That doesn't mean I don't have thoughts on those topics. I'm just more inclined to respond to the things said here I disagree with, so I tend to ignore those threads in which I'm part of a broad consensus. When you can find an instance of me defending any of those scumbags out of tribal allegiance, let me know. Otherwise, my silence can often be interpreted as agreement -- though likely to a more moderated degree.

And I have stronger thoughts on Ted Cruz than some others because he is my senator. His bull**** impacts me on a more local level.
If I missed your post on Cuomo, please direct me to it. I would think your outrage at what he did would be far greater than Cruz taking a vacation during an ice storm.
Mothra
PartyBear said:

Obviously that is the difference between you and I. I just finished telling you Cuomo should resign or be impeached if he broke the law. Again I have been busy. I haven't followed the NY situation entirely as I said. You will not take that position about any Republican and on top of that you get upset at people for calling out Republicans who have done terribly.

Oh, there are many differences between you and I. I am simply amazed at how glib you are on the subject of Cuomo. It's made national news, yet you seem more upset about Cruz taking a vacation during an ice storm.

And just to set the record straight, to the extent any politician is guilty of a crime and violates his oath of office, absolutely he should be impeached.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

fadskier said:

bear2be2 said:

If I missed your post on Cuomo, please direct me to it. I would think your outrage at what he did would be far greater than Cruz taking a vacation during an ice storm.
This thread's only four pages long. You can find them (there are multiple).

And I've been unequivocal in my outrage at that situation. Sorry your gotcha attempt didn't work out the way you'd hoped.
bubbadog
Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

J.B.Katz said:

bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Cuomo's time is coming, and deservedly so.

Abbott's ' debacle now is even bigger.
Not really. Cuomo's decisions literally killed thousands of people, and his administration seemingly intentionally covered that up to avoid accountability for those decisions.

Abbott's a ****ty leader, too. But going on Hannity and talking nonsense during a disaster isn't nearly as bad as sending COVID patients back into nursing homes and then doctoring the death numbers to hide the impact of that decision.
Can they impeach a governor? What Cuomo did would certainly be grounds for it.

I'm certain without having read all 50 state constitutions, that each one having been modeled after the US Constitution has similar language as the US Constitution pertaining to impeachment of elected officials.
Do you think Cuomo should be impeached?
If he did what is being claimed on this site, then I would say yes.
PartyBear
Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

Oh, there are many differences between you and I. I am simply amazed at how glib you are on the subject of Cuomo. It's made national news, yet you seem more upset about Cruz taking a vacation during an ice storm.

And just to set the record straight, to the extent any politician is guilty of a crime and violates his oath of office, absolutely he should be impeached.

Really? I think not and you can't fool anyone here. Where did you call for Trump's resignation or impeachment? You defended those crimes through and through and opposed impeachments didn't you?
fadskier
J.B.Katz said:

fadskier said:

HuMcK said:

Did you catch me defending any of the pols breaking their own lockdown orders? It is beyond inexcusable for Cruz to hightail it to Cancun while the state suffers, so why are you here excusing it?
Why is it beyond excusable? He doesn't have a weather machine and he doesn't control electricity. He's not breaking my orders like those politicians who violated their own orders.

It's not the same.
Then keep voting for him. You have low expectations and Ted will be sure to keep meeting them.

I want the senators and House reps we pay our tax dollars to represent us to be public leaders and public servants.

One critical aspect of that role is leading during a crisis and setting a tone that snowstorms and power outages aren't political and we're all in it together so we need to pull together and help each other. By that measure, Mattress Mack is a real leader.

If what's happening in Texas isn't a crisis I don't know what is and Cruz flew away from it.

I think you need to have a better image of yourself and find better role models. Politicians will always let you down.

Maybe try being your own leader instead of needing a politician to lead you. During this week, I have not once looked to Ted Cruz or any other politician to show me how I need to help people or make important decisions during this time.

Is that what you do? Stare at the TV or social media until someone tells you how to help or what to do? That's a dangerous way to live.
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

fadskier said:

bear2be2 said:

And I've been unequivocal in my outrage at that situation. Sorry your gotcha attempt didn't work out the way you'd hoped.
Found them. Glad to hear you seem somewhat upset about that after somebody called you out on it. Interesting how much more outraged you are about the "human scum" Ted Cruz, however.
fadskier
PartyBear said:

Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

Really? I think not and you can't fool anyone here. Where did you call for Trump's resignation or impeachment? You defended those crimes through and through and opposed impeachments didn't you?
What crimes did Trump commit? I need a review.
quash
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

fadskier said:

bear2be2 said:

Give it up: nothing you do will ever be enough for the Whatabouters.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Mothra
PartyBear said:

Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

You're a buffoon. I called for Trump to be impeached on January 6th, and said repeatedly I was glad the guy was gone and never to be heard from again. I have been repeatedly critical of the guy over the last 4 years, and said I had to hold my nose to vote for him.

Nice try.
Mothra
quash said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

fadskier said:

bear2be2 said:

LOL. quash to the rescue.
Porteroso
Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

I think it's a good illustration of why Democrats get away with hypocrisy in more cases than Republicans.

A dozen or so democrats, including Gavin Newsom, never got the backlash Ted Cruz is receiving right now for ordering businesses to lockdown while they took vacations and dined with dozens of people.

Call it whataboutism all you want, and state you're against hypocrisy, but I guaruntee even YOU won't stand a chance fighting against the leftist dominated media mob if you wanted to. You can't end Democrats for their hypocrisy, but you can with the GOP. These are the rules and you can't even see it.

So ridiculous. Newsom might get special electioned out of office dude. He got way worse criticism. Cruz will escape this only scathed by some angry tweets. He doesn't need you to white knight for him, he faces this sort of thing all the time.
J.B.Katz
Mothra said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Of course, you won't see the resident libs and lib sympathizers complaining about that. Cruz should resign for flying to Cancun, but no mention whatsoever of a guy that literally has blood on his hands (I started a thread on this topic just last week).
False equivalance and whataboutism.

Cuomo's lying about nursing homes sounds bad. It's totally unrelated to the power grid collapse and winter storm in Texas. It doesn't excuse Abbott's bad response or the fact that the grid had inadequate weather safeguards.

Cuomo should be held responsible for his failures.

So should Abbott and any other Texas official whose actions or inactions resulted in the cold mess of power and water failures across the state.

Newsom was stupid to do exactly what his govt told everybody else in his state not to do. Seems I remember Deborah Birx going to a vacation house with family for Thanksgiving after telling everybody else not to travel for thanksgiving. Do as I say not as I do, is bad leadership.

Next are you boys going to say Antifia and BLM forced Cruz to board that plane and fly to Cancun?
J.B.Katz
Porteroso said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

I think it's a good illustration of why Democrats get away with hypocrisy in more cases than Republicans.

A dozen or so democrats, including Gavin Newsom, never got the backlash Ted Cruz is receiving right now for ordering businesses to lockdown while they took vacations and dined with dozens of people.

Call it whataboutism all you want, and state you're against hypocrisy, but I guaruntee even YOU won't stand a chance fighting against the leftist dominated media mob if you wanted to. You can't end Democrats for their hypocrisy, but you can with the GOP. These are the rules and you can't even see it.

So ridiculous. Newsom might get special electioned out of office dude. He got way worse criticism. Cruz will escape this only scathed by some angry tweets. He doesn't need you to white knight for him, he faces this sort of thing all the time.
These boys gave Trump a pass for 4 years and then either swallowed the lies about election fraud hook line and sinker or did what McConnell did and waited to see if the **** was going to stick to the wall before grudgingly admitting Biden won.

They'll keep voting for Ted and Texans will keep being badly served by a guy who cares so little about his constituents that he flew to Cancun while millions of them were freezing and lacked drinking water and access to usable plumbing.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

fadskier said:

bear2be2 said:

Found them. Glad to hear you seem somewhat upset about that after somebody called you out on it. Interesting how much more outraged you are about the "human scum" Ted Cruz, however.
You're really struggling here. No one called me out on that. The post introducing Cuomo into this thread (by BusyTarpDuster2017) wasn't in response to me -- or anyone else for that matter.

And the opinion I offered in response was unsolicited and without any "... but what about so-and-so?" Not all of us are partisan shills, Mothra.

And again, my opinions on Ted Cruz are stronger than on some others because I know him better. He's been a senator in my state for eight long years now. And when someone shows me who they are, I believe them.
J.B.Katz
fadskier said:

PartyBear said:

Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

Coming soon to federal courts in Georgia and New York.
quash
Mothra said:

quash said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

fadskier said:

bear2be2 said:

LOL. quash to the rescue.
The point was that he didn't need rescuing.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Mothra
J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Cuomo's lying about nursing homes sounds bad. It's totally unrelated to the power grid collapse and winter storm in Texas. It doesn't excuse Abbott's bad response or the fact that the grid had inadequate weather safeguards.

So should Abbott and any other Texas official whose actions or inactions resulted in the cold mess of power and water failures across the state.

Newsom was stupid to do exactly what his govt told everybody else in his state not to do. Seems I remember Deborah Birx going to a vacation house with family for Thanksgiving after telling everybody else not to travel for thanksgiving. Do as I say not as I do, is bad leadership.

Next are you boys going to say Antifia and BLM forced Cruz to board that plane and fly to Cancun?
If I was making a comparison of the two actions, you might have a point. Instead, however, I was comparing the outrage by our resident lefties at Cruz for taking a vacation during an ice storm while recognizing they've been mostly silent about something that is actually far worse. We've seen him called "human scum," been told he's not a Christian, and that he should resign. And these same posters have said barely a peep about a governor in New York who literally has blood on his hands.

It's interesting the things people choose to get outraged about.

Porteroso
fadskier said:

PartyBear said:

Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

There isn't a law against being unfit for office. He did commit campaign finance crimes, and obstructed justice by threatening people being interviewed by the feds. He probably committed more campaign finance crimes than we are certain about.

But the biggest reason to impeach him is his intentional divisiveness, and his continual attacks on our democracy. He did more than any individual ever, to shake the GOP's trust in our system of government. From elections to the courts and justice system, he attacked us. He said from the very beginning, it was about winning. Once he got a whiff of losing, he all out attacked our country.

There could not be a bigger violation of his promise to uphold the Constitution. Trying to convince the states to change it to make him dictator would be a far lesser offense. Attacking democracy itself is inexcusable.
quash
Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

Mothra said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

If I was making a comparison of the two actions, you might have a point. Instead, however, I was comparing the outrage by our resident lefties at Cruz for taking a vacation during an ice storm while recognizing they've been mostly silent about something that is actually far worse. We've seen him called "human scum," been told he's not a Christian, and that he should resign. And these same posters have said barely a peep about a governor in New York who literally has blood on his hands.

It's interesting the things people choose to get outraged about.

You've been told that one reason is that we are Texans. A New York governor really doesn't rate around here.

You got a summer place in the Catskills or you just don't mind ranging afield for Whatabouts?
bubbadog
Mothra said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

This looks like just another manifestation of the whataboutism that makes it difficult to have a discussion on this board that gets beyond shallow finger-pointing.

Can we take it as a given, based on long experience, that "conservatives" are rarely going to start threads calling out politicians from their side and that "liberals" are rarely going to start threads calling out politicians from their side?

So I don't expect posters from either side to be responsible for being the first to post a critical thread about their side. I'm not going to complain that "conservatives" were strangely silent if they didn't start a thread criticizing Ted Cruz. Nor do I think it is incumbent on conservatives to post on the thread about Ted Cruz or else be treated as if they forfeit all credibility on the matter. If they choose for whatever reason not to chime in on that topic, I cannot rightfully assume that their silence means they think that Ted's actions were politically defensible.

I would measure people only by the opinions they actually post, not by the ones they don't post, and I would hope to be measured by the same standard.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.