Ted Cruz bails to Cancun

28,253 Views | 430 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by boognish_bear
HuMcK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Say whatever you want about her ideology, but AOC (a House Rep from NY...) has raised over $1mil for Texans while Ted Cruz, our own Senator, high-tailed it to Cancun. There are ways to be helpful in a crisis, so people should stop acting like Cruz would just be in the way if he stayed, it looks extremely stupid.
sombear
BylrFan said:

sombear said:

Green&Gold/Maize&Blue said:

This was not a planned vacation. This was spur of the moment. His wife was emailing, texting their friends and neighbors if they wanted to go to Cancun for the weekend because their house was "freezing."
So it's worse that he didn't want to stay in a freezing house? Would driving to family in Arizona have been better? Or is it simply he had to stay in a house w/o power because he is a senator?
there's warming centers. look what mattress mack is doing in houston

He should have taken someone else's spot at a warning center, got it.
bubbadog
HuMcK said:

Say whatever you want about her ideology, but AOC (a House Rep from NY...) has raised over $1mil for Texans while Ted Cruz, our own Senator, high-tailed it to Cancun. There are ways to be helpful in a crisis, so people should stop acting like Cruz would just be in the way if he stayed, it looks extremely stupid.
And for whatever it's worth, people in NYC raising money to help Texans is a very different look than the "Freeze a Yankee in the Dark" bumpers stickers we used to see in Texas.
bubbadog
sombear said:

BylrFan said:

sombear said:

This was not a planned vacation. This was spur of the moment. His wife was emailing, texting their friends and neighbors if they wanted to go to Cancun for the weekend because their house was "freezing."
So it's worse that he didn't want to stay in a freezing house? Would driving to family in Arizona have been better? Or is it simply he had to stay in a house w/o power because he is a senator?

He could have simply let the wife and kids go while he stayed behind. I'm sure there still would have been criticism in some circles (there always is), but it would have been fairly easy to deflect, since the wife and kids are not elected leaders.

The part that's going to have legs on late night comedy shows: Did he really leave the family dog home alone? A poodle named Snowflake? Ouch.
robby44
"...And I've got such a long way to go (such a long way to go)
To make it to the border of Mexico
So I'll ride like the wind
Ride like the wind

Gonna ride like the wind..."

bear2be2
Thee University said:

bear2be2 said:

Ted Cruz is as capable as anyone else of sending a quick text or making a quick wellness check on a vulnerable neighbor. It may or may not score him political points, but those impacted would sure appreciate it.
You think that does any good?

Screw that. I don't want our government or anyone closely associated with our govt involved. Let the professionals do their job without any grandstanding by politicians.

If Ted can't strap on a pair of pole climbing stirrups and hook up downed power lines leave his fat @$$ in Cancun.

A wellness check would have done a hell of a lot of good for the Abilene man who froze to death in his recliner.

I'm not talking about Ted Cruz the senator. I'm talking about Ted Cruz the neighbor and citizen.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

bubbadog said:

Mothra said:

bubbadog said:

Mothra said:

bubbadog said:

Mothra said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Really, really dumb on Cruz's part. He had to have known how bad this would look, and if he didn't, that might be worse. And especially after he had criticized someone for going to Cabo during a pandemic.

But still not as bad as killing nursing home patients and then covering it up, all while getting praise and an award from the left.
Of course, you won't see the resident libs and lib sympathizers complaining about that. Cruz should resign for flying to Cancun, but no mention whatsoever of a guy that literally has blood on his hands (I started a thread on this topic just last week).
This looks like just another manifestation of the whataboutism that makes it difficult to have a discussion on this board that gets beyond shallow finger-pointing.

Can we take it as a given, based on long experience, that "conservatives" are rarely going to start threads calling out politicians from their side and that "liberals" are rarely going to start threads calling out politicians from their side?

So I don't expect posters from either side to be responsible for being the first to post a critical thread about their side. I'm not going to complain that "conservatives" were strangely silent if they didn't start a thread criticizing Ted Cruz. Nor do I think it is incumbent on conservatives to post on the thread about Ted Cruz or else be treated as if they forfeit all credibility on the matter. If they choose for whatever reason not to chime in on that topic, I cannot rightfully assume that their silence means they think that Ted's actions were politically defensible.

I would measure people only by the opinions they actually post, not by the ones they don't post, and I would hope to be measured by the same standard.
I guess you simply don't find interesting the level of outrage exhibited by some toward Cruz for taking a vacation during an ice storm while nary a peep regarding a guy who truly has blood on his hands. I do, though I generally agree Cruz is a partisan POS.

Of course, it is worth noting that a number of conservatives on this thread have called Cruz out, while there are a couple of threads on Cuomo (one started by me last week) with not a single response from any of our resident outraged Dems.
I'm not particularly outraged. More of a disgusted shrug.

Leaving the state for a pleasure trip during a pandemic is bad form and bad politics -- sends a signal that he doesn't really care about people (did anyone prior to this think he really did?).

For the record, I think the Dems are dumb to be calling for him to resign. Instead, just make him wear this around his neck for the next four years and let him defend it to the voters.

Again, I don't think posters are obliged to weigh in on every thread. Call people out for what they actually post instead of assuming that they give Cuomo a pass simply because they didn't post on your thread. (I hadn't even noticed that there WAS a thread on Cuomo. I guess that makes me a bitter partisan.)
Generally agree,

And of course I am not suggesting everyone needs to weigh in on all topics. I just find the level of (selective) outrage at Cruz for this interesting in comparison to a guy that is responsible for thousands of elderly deaths.
Why even assume that people are being selective? Maybe they simply didn't notice your thread.

Or maybe all of the free time they had available to post on this site was spent on replying to topics where they had already posted. I certainly fall into that habit, guided by the little blue box at the upper right.

Or maybe they aren't familiar enough with the details of the story to feel informed enough to post about it. Earlier on this thread, one poster said he didn't really know that much about the details of the allegations about Cuomo, and you seemed outraged by it, as if this were proof of his hypocrisy. That kind of stuff is just a discussion killer.

Or maybe they were without power when that thread was started and weren't checking in regularly.

If you have a question about where someone stands on a topic, you can always ask them directly. But assuming someone's stance on topics they haven't addressed -- and then assigning motives to that -- is silly.
Subterfuge. Nobody has a question about where you stand on Cuomo. You've told us your stance. I am pointing out your disproportionate outrage at Cruz taking a vacation in an ice storm while Cuomo literally has thousands of deaths on his head. You seem to have a much bigger problem with Cruz than a guy whose policies killed thousands of elderly people, and then lied
about it to avoid an investigation. It's odd.

Only you believe this because you've concocted the silly narrative. I think both should be run out of town on a rail.

And for at least the second time, my opinion on Ted Cruz wasn't formed yesterday. It was reinforced. To act as though this was Ted Cruz's first strike -- and that we're all overreacting to this isolated incident -- is the height of disengenuousness. Unfortunately, that's become a hallmark of your posting style here.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
robby44 said:

Ride like the wind

You are showing your age, Brother Robby. Christopher Cross was a good ole San Antonio boy.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
bear2be2
Mothra said:

Thee University said:

bear2be2 said:

Ted Cruz is as capable as anyone else of sending a quick text or making a quick wellness check on a vulnerable neighbor. It may or may not score him political points, but those impacted would sure appreciate it.

Screw that. I don't want our government or anyone closely associated with our govt involved. Let the professionals do their job without any grandstanding by politicians.

If Ted can strap on a pair of pole climbing stirrups and hook up downed power lines leave his fat @$$ in Cancun.
Of course he doesn't think it will do any good. He's hysterical over the optics - that Cruz didn't use the storm as an opportunity for a photo opp. It's weird.

I don't give a **** about political optics. I'm talking about right and wrong. Republicans used to care about such things.
bear2be2
Forest Bueller said:

Jack and DP said:

J.B.Katz said:

Robert Wilson said:

What do you expect him to do? Fix your broken pipes?
Maybe get out in Houston and lead some relief efforts for people who have been w/out water and heat for a long time?

I hear you, but people don't go to DC to get their hands dirty. When they try, it looks fake. That's because it is.

Poor political optics, though.
It is fake, aka, AOC crying at the border fence.

National level Politicians are high minded people who like and want all the spoils of success. They are not servants.

You want to see a servant politician, go to a small rural community where the Mayor is paid a pittance, if at all, on the national scene folks are in it for themselves.

Tell that to Colorado City.
Eagle11Bear
So, my boss flies to his home in Malibu every time we have hurricanes. I say good for him. Is he supposed to stay and be miserable like everyone else? It's not like he can wave a magic wand and make everything go away. Neither can Cruz or Abbott or anyone else in this situation. It infuriates me that todays society is all about touchy feely. Seems like very few these days know how to put their big boy pants on. Always got to complain about something.
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

bubbadog said:

Mothra said:

bubbadog said:

Mothra said:

bubbadog said:

Mothra said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Really, really dumb on Cruz's part. He had to have known how bad this would look, and if he didn't, that might be worse. And especially after he had criticized someone for going to Cabo during a pandemic.

But still not as bad as killing nursing home patients and then covering it up, all while getting praise and an award from the left.
Of course, you won't see the resident libs and lib sympathizers complaining about that. Cruz should resign for flying to Cancun, but no mention whatsoever of a guy that literally has blood on his hands (I started a thread on this topic just last week).
This looks like just another manifestation of the whataboutism that makes it difficult to have a discussion on this board that gets beyond shallow finger-pointing.

Can we take it as a given, based on long experience, that "conservatives" are rarely going to start threads calling out politicians from their side and that "liberals" are rarely going to start threads calling out politicians from their side?

So I don't expect posters from either side to be responsible for being the first to post a critical thread about their side. I'm not going to complain that "conservatives" were strangely silent if they didn't start a thread criticizing Ted Cruz. Nor do I think it is incumbent on conservatives to post on the thread about Ted Cruz or else be treated as if they forfeit all credibility on the matter. If they choose for whatever reason not to chime in on that topic, I cannot rightfully assume that their silence means they think that Ted's actions were politically defensible.

I would measure people only by the opinions they actually post, not by the ones they don't post, and I would hope to be measured by the same standard.
I guess you simply don't find interesting the level of outrage exhibited by some toward Cruz for taking a vacation during an ice storm while nary a peep regarding a guy who truly has blood on his hands. I do, though I generally agree Cruz is a partisan POS.

Of course, it is worth noting that a number of conservatives on this thread have called Cruz out, while there are a couple of threads on Cuomo (one started by me last week) with not a single response from any of our resident outraged Dems.

Leaving the state for a pleasure trip during a pandemic is bad form and bad politics -- sends a signal that he doesn't really care about people (did anyone prior to this think he really did?).

For the record, I think the Dems are dumb to be calling for him to resign. Instead, just make him wear this around his neck for the next four years and let him defend it to the voters.

Again, I don't think posters are obliged to weigh in on every thread. Call people out for what they actually post instead of assuming that they give Cuomo a pass simply because they didn't post on your thread. (I hadn't even noticed that there WAS a thread on Cuomo. I guess that makes me a bitter partisan.)
Generally agree,

And of course I am not suggesting everyone needs to weigh in on all topics. I just find the level of (selective) outrage at Cruz for this interesting in comparison to a guy that is responsible for thousands of elderly deaths.
Why even assume that people are being selective? Maybe they simply didn't notice your thread.

Or maybe all of the free time they had available to post on this site was spent on replying to topics where they had already posted. I certainly fall into that habit, guided by the little blue box at the upper right.

Or maybe they aren't familiar enough with the details of the story to feel informed enough to post about it. Earlier on this thread, one poster said he didn't really know that much about the details of the allegations about Cuomo, and you seemed outraged by it, as if this were proof of his hypocrisy. That kind of stuff is just a discussion killer.

Or maybe they were without power when that thread was started and weren't checking in regularly.

If you have a question about where someone stands on a topic, you can always ask them directly. But assuming someone's stance on topics they haven't addressed -- and then assigning motives to that -- is silly.
Subterfuge. Nobody has a question about where you stand on Cuomo. You've told us your stance. I am pointing out your disproportionate outrage at Cruz taking a vacation in an ice storm while Cuomo literally has thousands of deaths on his head. You seem to have a much bigger problem with Cruz than a guy whose policies killed thousands of elderly people, and then lied

Only you believe this because you've concocted the silly narrative. I think both should be run out of town on a rail.

And for at least the second time, my opinion on Ted Cruz wasn't formed yesterday. It was reinforced. To act as though this was Ted Cruz's first strike -- and that we're all overreacting to this isolated incident -- is the height of disengenuousness. Unfortunately, that's become a hallmark of your posting style here.
Unfortunately, a hallmark of your posting seems to be mischaracterizing others' positions and then trying to make a case against a position never asserted. It's a classic straw man fallacy, and you engage in it consistently. Once again, let me correct you.

I never said or suggested that this was Cruz's first strike. I think Cruz is a shady politician and political opportunist. Me and my firm had a case against him when he was in private practice for a short period, and found his scorched earth litigation strategy disgusting. He cost both of our clients a lot of money. I voted against him in the primaries when he ran for Senate eight years ago. I would love to see a Republican try to unseat him in a few years.

So, I am not a fan of Cruz, and generally think his leaving when he did is a poor look. However, I am also not a fan of hysterics, disproportionate outrage, and judging people as "human trash," even those I disagree with. You've engaged in all of the above on this thread. Others have called attention to it as well, though you would like to call this my "silly narrative." You've been a total drama queen.

Mothra
Eagle11Bear said:

So, my boss flies to his home in Malibu every time we have hurricanes. I say good for him. Is he supposed to stay and be miserable like everyone else? It's not like he can wave a magic wand and make everything go away. Neither can Cruz or Abbott or anyone else in this situation. It infuriates me that todays society is all about touchy feely. Seems like very few these days know how to put their big boy pants on. Always got to complain about something.
Clearly your boss is human trash and not a Christian.
Forest Bueller
HuMcK said:

It is stupid, but don't use AOC as an example of virtue. She is in it for herself as are virtually all national level politicians.

As a human I don't blame him for going, as a Representative of our state which is in Crisis it couldn't have been a worse decision as far as optics.
Forest Bueller
bear2be2 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Jack and DP said:

J.B.Katz said:

Robert Wilson said:

What do you expect him to do? Fix your broken pipes?
Maybe get out in Houston and lead some relief efforts for people who have been w/out water and heat for a long time?

I hear you, but people don't go to DC to get their hands dirty. When they try, it looks fake. That's because it is.

Poor political optics, though.
It is fake, aka, AOC crying at the border fence.

National level Politicians are high minded people who like and want all the spoils of success. They are not servants.

You want to see a servant politician, go to a small rural community where the Mayor is paid a pittance, if at all, on the national scene folks are in it for themselves.

Tell that to Colorado City.
I don't keep up with Colorado City. I do with Poyner.
quash
Don Jr calling us hypocrites for trying to cancel Sen. Cruz and not our Democrat governor.

The apple didn't fall far from the tree.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
PartyBear
Give Trump Jr. credit. He did get one fact right. The Governor is incompetent.
Sam Lowry
quash said:

Don Jr calling us hypocrites for trying to cancel Sen. Cruz and not our Democrat governor.

The apple didn't fall far from the tree.
"Cancun Cruz."

I was hoping the trend of painfully unfunny nicknames would at least end soon, but no such luck. The torch has been passed.
BearForce
TexasScientist said:

J.R. said:

what a moron! Very bad look! He also he has said that he zero defense for the tape that was played of him castigating California in their overloaded grid issues of a few years ago. I lost all respect I may have had for him when Trump trashed his father(involved in the Kennedy assassination with Oswald) and wife (ugly) and then turned into his lap dog. Have some balls, Ted.
Cruz suffers from narcissism similar to Trump. The difference possibly is the degree of naricissism and Cruz is smarter than Trump, which makes him more dangerous than Trump. I used to think he was a great politician/statesman back when he was SG of Texas. After more public exposure he has shown his true nature. The way he let Trump emasculate him is sickening.
Yeah, going after his wife and giving Trump a pass is all I need to know that his retracted....
Thee University
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

robby44 said:

Ride like the wind

You are showing your age, Brother Robby. Christopher Cross was a good ole San Antonio boy.
Is he gay?
LIB,MR BEARS
I've not read the thread but, here is my two cents:

Cruz is not a state official. Unless he wants to grab a shovel, split fire wood or climb a utility pole, he's just like everyone else. Once I knew my mom and my in-laws were good, I would have bolted for warmer environments as well. It only looks bad to people that are too dumb to know the difference between state and federal. Who here is one of those dumb ones?
Thee University
The woke factor on this board gets more sickening every week.

Amazing. I knew there were a few flamers on the Baylor campus in the late 70's and early 80's but they knew where the closet was. Are most of you liberals recent graduates or are you celebrating coming out from behind the curtain here for all to see?

Loud & proud?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Thee University said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

robby44 said:

Ride like the wind

Is he gay?
As far as I can tell, Robby is about straight up heterosexual as they come!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
bear2be2
Eagle11Bear said:

You're defending those who run from extreme weather events and telling those who can't to man up? I will never be able to understand the value system some of you guys have.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

bubbadog said:

Mothra said:

bubbadog said:

Mothra said:

bubbadog said:

Mothra said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Generally agree,

Unfortunately, a hallmark of your posting seems to be mischaracterizing others' positions and then trying to make a case against a position never asserted. It's a classic straw man fallacy, and you engage in it consistently. Once again, let me correct you.

I never said or suggested that this was Cruz's first strike. I think Cruz is a shady politician and political opportunist. Me and my firm had a case against him when he was in private practice for a short period, and found his scorched earth litigation strategy disgusting. He cost both of our clients a lot of money. I voted against him in the primaries when he ran for Senate eight years ago. I would love to see a Republican try to unseat him in a few years.

So, I am not a fan of Cruz, and generally think his leaving when he did is a poor look. However, I am also not a fan of hysterics, disproportionate outrage, and judging people as "human trash," even those I disagree with. You've engaged in all of the above on this thread. Others have called attention to it as well, though you would like to call this my "silly narrative." You've been a total drama queen.

You've posted one strawman after another in this thread and have yet to course correct when called on them. Save me the lecture on logic. Anyone who reads our exchange without motive will see which of us came into this discussion in good faith.
BaylorBJM
Thee University said:

Amazing. I knew there were a few flamers on the Baylor campus in the late 70's and early 80's but they knew where the closet was. Are most of you liberals recent graduates or are you celebrating coming out from behind the curtain here for all to see?

Loud & proud?

You've been on a pretty big homophobic rant as of late.

One of my closest friend's growing up had an old, grumpy father like you. Always talked about "flamers" and closeted homos. It all came about suddenly. About 15 years later he came out. Guess he was dealing with the some things.

Perhaps you're next?
J.B.Katz
sombear said:

BylrFan said:

sombear said:

No, he could have showed up at a warming center with blankets, water bottles, granola bars and if he really wanted to make people happy a great big container of hot coffee.
J.B.Katz
BaylorBJM said:

Thee University said:

Loud & proud?

You've been on a pretty big homophobic rant as of late.

One of my closest friend's growing up had an old, grump king father like you. Always talked about "flamers" and closeted homos. About 15 years later he came out.

Perhaps you're next?
I went to church with a man like that. What's that old Shakespeare saying about protesting too much?
J.B.Katz
Forest Bueller said:

HuMcK said:

It is stupid, but don't use AOC as an example of virtue. She is in it for herself as are virtually all national level politicians.

As a human I don't blame him for going, as a Representative of our state which is in Crisis it couldn't have been a worse decision as far as optics.
Cruz doesn't care about Texas except as a vehicle to the presidency. He ran for pres as soon as he could. I defy anyone here to present any meaningful leglsation Cruz has ever put forward to help Texans specifically.

Actions to restriction abortion or gay rights dont count here, if he's even done those, that's a national issue that will help cruise get GOP votes everywhere. What has he done for Texas?
Wrecks Quan Dough
J.B.Katz said:

sombear said:

BylrFan said:

sombear said:

No, he could have showed up at a warming center with blankets, water bottles, granola bars and if he really wanted to make people happy a great big container of hot coffee.
It seems so far that you have a problem when Ted Cruz: (a) tries to take care of his own family and (b) does not do enough in your view to care for others. That is mighty self righteous of you, but that pretty much summarizes the whole of the woke movement.
J.B.Katz
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

bear2be2 said:

If Ted can strap on a pair of pole climbing stirrups and hook up downed power lines leave his fat @$$ in Cancun.
Of course he doesn't think it will do any good. He's hysterical over the optics - that Cruz didn't use the storm as an opportunity for a photo opp. It's weird.

I don't give a **** about political optics. I'm talking about right and wrong. Republicans used to care about such things.
Trump and Ted Cruz don't care about doing the right thing. They only care about themselves.

My feeling is that they are not real Republicans.

This statement from Jim Hendren, an honorable businessman and lifelong Republican who served in the military and is a true public servant, should get its own thread but he is leaving the party becasue Republicans are no longer the party of right and wrong

Mothra
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

bubbadog said:

Mothra said:

bubbadog said:

Mothra said:

bubbadog said:

Mothra said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Generally agree,

You've posted one strawman after another in this thread and have yet to course correct when called on them. Save me the lecture on logic. Anyone who reads our exchange without motive will see which of us came into this discussion in good faith.
More b.s. out of you. I haven't erected any strawmen. Stop lying to make yourself look better.
Mothra
J.B.Katz said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

bear2be2 said:

Trump and Ted Cruz don't care about doing the right thing. They only care about themselves.

This statement from Jim Hendren, an honorable businessman and lifelong Republican who served in the military and is a true public servant, should get its own thread but he is leaving the party becasue Republicans are no longer the party of right and wrong

I posted this before, but you didn't respond. So I will ask: what is your solution? You know that a third party made up of disenfranchised Republicans is never going to be viable. All it will lead to is more Democrats getting elected.

As a purported "Republican," is that what you would prefer - a fractured Republican Party that will never win another election?
Feel The Floyd
The people taking the pictures of Cruz going to Cancun , they were checking flights for cold people right? Nope don't see any cold people here in the airport better fly all the way to Cancun to check to see if there any cold people there.

I'm done with Cruz for other reasons and hope he goes back to private life at the end of his current term.
J.B.Katz
Mothra said:

J.B.Katz said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

bear2be2 said:

I posted this before, but you didn't respond. So I will ask: what is your solution? You know that a third party made up of disenfranchised Republicans is never going to be viable. All it will lead to is more Democrats getting elected.

As a purported "Republican," is that what you would prefer - a fractured Republican Party that will never win another election?
Its fruitless to talk to you. You just want people to bounce off to make whatever talking point youve decided on to justify sedition and deriliction of duty or assclown stupidity like Cruz just did. Plus your snide and you make statements that aren't true.

As a final salvo, no, I dont know a third party made up of disenfranchised Republicans is never going to be viable. I was hoping after Trump lost the election we wouldn't have to test that though. But it looks like we will.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.