Juneteenth to become federal holiday

16,192 Views | 215 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Porteroso
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
robby44 said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

While y'all argue about motives for military actions in a war none of us lived through but that still had great results-intended or otherwise, keep some of these things in mind. Now , decide what is worth arguing about or, if you are going to discuss it, with what attitude.

Joseph's unjust enslavement and imprisonment resulted in salvation from a famine

Daniel's being thrown into the lions' den resulted in a pagan king giving glory to God

Saul's persecution of the early church resulted in the first foreign mission work

Paul's imprisonment in Rome resulted in evangelization throughout the imperial guard

The paramount example of God's gracious providence through suffering is in Christ's redemptive work on the cross. He "has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows," and "with his wounds we are healed"

God also lead his people out of

Gasp

Slavery in Egypt.
Funny, I don't recall Egypt ever making a point to remember the end of Hebrew Slavery, or any other kind.

Were there any Hebrews or their descendants left in Egypt?
Don't have access to Egypt's detailed census records, so I don't know.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Osodecentx
robby44 said:

Also on this date in 1964
The Civil Rights Act of 1964
Passed the Senate on June 19, 1964
Signed by LBJ signed into law July 2 1964

It would be another 3 years before my parents could take their children into pubic parks, the zoo or most restaurants and department stores.
Do we agree things are better now?
robby44
Osodecentx said:

robby44 said:

Also on this date in 1964
The Civil Rights Act of 1964
Passed the Senate on June 19, 1964
Signed by LBJ signed into law July 2 1964

It would be another 3 years before my parents could take their children into pubic parks, the zoo or most restaurants and department stores.
Do we agree things are better now?

Absolutely
ATL Bear
Oldbear83 said:

robby44 said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

While y'all argue about motives for military actions in a war none of us lived through but that still had great results-intended or otherwise, keep some of these things in mind. Now , decide what is worth arguing about or, if you are going to discuss it, with what attitude.

Joseph's unjust enslavement and imprisonment resulted in salvation from a famine

Daniel's being thrown into the lions' den resulted in a pagan king giving glory to God

Saul's persecution of the early church resulted in the first foreign mission work

Paul's imprisonment in Rome resulted in evangelization throughout the imperial guard

The paramount example of God's gracious providence through suffering is in Christ's redemptive work on the cross. He "has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows," and "with his wounds we are healed"

Gasp

Slavery in Egypt.
Funny, I don't recall Egypt ever making a point to remember the end of Hebrew Slavery, or any other kind.

They kicked them out in the 1950's and took their property. True story.
robby44
Oldbear83 said:

robby44 said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Gasp

Slavery in Egypt.

Also what would Egypt be commemorating? Getting their asses kicked by Moses and God.
Oldbear83
robby44 said:

Oldbear83 said:

robby44 said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Gasp

Slavery in Egypt.

Also what would Egypt be commemorating? Getting their asses kicked by Moses and God.
That wasn't your question
Waco1947
Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Completely appropriate to commemorate one of the most significant events in our country's history via federal holiday.

My concern though is rather than using this day to unify the country on what it did right, it will be yet another tool of the left to stoke perpetual resentment and division over what it did wrong.

How is it that celebrating the end of slavery will stoke resentment? Can you explain that one to me?
The holiday and celebrating the end of slavery is awesome IMO. The more federal holidays the better!

What's not awesome is the expansion of critical race theory and modern anti white rhetoric based on horrors of the past like slavery. Academia and media will surely use this holiday as a backboard to do so and be emboldened by it.

It's not the holiday, it's how we're interpreting it.

What's funny about these racist tweets is many of us evil white peoples' ancestors had nothing to do with slavery. Mine came over on a boat from Germany in 1882. But even if they had participated in it, how are people 150 years and generations removed from a heinous practice responsible for the actions of our great, great, great, great, grandparents? And what about those white people whose ancestors fought and died to abolish the practice?

Tribalism is always a bad thing. The country won't survive it. And yet, we have a political party in this country that actively promotes this kind of tribalism on a daily basis.
We, whites, are only so far removed as yesterday and the implications of slavery have spun out across time. Reading history informs us of slavery outcomes through our racial history until yesterday.
Waco1947
Mothra
My ancestors emigrated from Germany after the civil war. Settled in the Fredericksburg area in the 1880s. They were poor farmers who had nothing to do with enslaving black folk.

I can sympathize with the black experience. What was done to them is awful and they are still experiencing the results or it. But me and my ancestors had nothing to do with it. As such I'm not sure what I need to reflect on.
robby44
Oldbear83 said:

robby44 said:

Oldbear83 said:

robby44 said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Gasp

Slavery in Egypt.

Sorry.
That was a response to this

"Funny, I don't recall Egypt ever making a point to remember the end of Hebrew Slavery, or any other kind"
Redbrickbear

Jack Bauer
Redbrickbear said:

It has begun...
Doc Holliday
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Completely appropriate to commemorate one of the most significant events in our country's history via federal holiday.

My concern though is rather than using this day to unify the country on what it did right, it will be yet another tool of the left to stoke perpetual resentment and division over what it did wrong.

How is it that celebrating the end of slavery will stoke resentment? Can you explain that one to me?
The holiday and celebrating the end of slavery is awesome IMO. The more federal holidays the better!

What's not awesome is the expansion of critical race theory and modern anti white rhetoric based on horrors of the past like slavery. Academia and media will surely use this holiday as a backboard to do so and be emboldened by it.

What's funny about these racist tweets is many of us evil white peoples' ancestors had nothing to do with slavery. Mine came over on a boat from Germany in 1882. But even if they had participated in it, how are people 150 years and generations removed from a heinous practice responsible for the actions of our great, great, great, great, grandparents? And what about those white people whose ancestors fought and died to abolish the practice?

Tribalism is always a bad thing. The country won't survive it. And yet, we have a political party in this country that actively promotes this kind of tribalism on a daily basis.
We, whites, are only so far removed as yesterday and the implications of slavery have spun out across time. Reading history informs us of slavery outcomes through our racial history until yesterday.
What actions do you want white people to take?

Notice I'm not asking what I need to be aware of, I'm asking you what do I need to do?
Oldbear83
robby44 said:

Oldbear83 said:

robby44 said:

Oldbear83 said:

robby44 said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Gasp

Slavery in Egypt.

Sorry.
That was a response to this

"Funny, I don't recall Egypt ever making a point to remember the end of Hebrew Slavery, or any other kind"
one thing I always liked about the Bible.

It's the only history where you basically get the facts, warts and all. The Hebrews had no qualms saying when they had bad kings or screwed up. You'd never see that from most countries.
Canon
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Thanks for listening to our new podcast...."R3TARD3D YODA"...folks. Join us next week when our guest will be Sean Penn.
Whiskey Pete
Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Notice I'm not asking what I need to be aware of, I'm asking you what do I need to do?
I don't believe that Wac47 has any solutions. He's a race baiter that thrives on race baiting.

As a matter of fact, I believe that Wac47 isn't a pastor, isn't white, but instead a black person with a chip on their shoulder that's filled with hate toward white people because he chooses to blame his lack of personal achievement on others besides himself.

He's got a one track mind and is consumed with racism.
whitetrash
Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

I don't believe that Wac47 has any solutions. He's a race baiter that thrives on race baiting.

As a matter of fact, I believe that Wac47 isn't a pastor, isn't white, but instead a black person with a chip on their shoulder that's filled with hate toward white people because he chooses to blame his lack of personal achievement on others besides himself.

Nope. He white.
Osodecentx
whitetrash said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Nope. He white.
and ashamed of it
Whiskey Pete
whitetrash said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Nope. He white.
Makes me wonder if he wishes he was black.
Waco1947
Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

) Talk to people of color with a listening attitude. Don't not tell them what your intent is but here what the effect of white has on them
2) Read The Anti Racist and The Strange Career of Jim Crow
3) watch The Butler and Selma
4) Work on a Habitat for Humanity site and with a family of color whose home is being built.
Good question. I hope I am helpful
Waco1947
Waco1947
whitetrash said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Nope. He white.
"He is white." You know better. I don't put you down.
I am white. I am a proud human being and see others as humans while respecting each person circumstances of living in a racist culture.
A racist culture does not mean whites are racists but rather that we whites enjoy a white privilege and fail to recognize it and too often work to defend it.
For me to be anti racist is to understand my racist history and fight against it in myself and in my culture and nation. We are all humans whose various cultures engender both shame and pride. Our work black and white is not done.
Waco1947
Whiskey Pete
Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

) Talk to people of color with a listening attitude. Don't not tell them what your intent is but here what the effect of white has on them
4) Work on a Habitat for Humanity site and with a family of color whose home is being built.
What actions do black people need to take?
Whiskey Pete
Waco1947 said:

whitetrash said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Nope. He white.
I am white. I am a proud human being and see others as humans while respecting each person circumstances of living in a racist culture. You don't see people. You see color as evident of your history of posts
A racist culture does not mean whites are racists but rather that we whites enjoy a white privilege and fail to recognize it and too often work to defend it. White privilege is the big lie. It's designed to foster resentment and hatred of white people today (who never owned slaves) by black people in order to keep the country divided and the democrat votes coming in. In America today, everyone (especially black people) have more opportunity in the history - of the planet.
For me to be anti racist is to understand my racist history and fight against it in myself and in my culture and nation. If you have a racist history, that's on you, your actions and your character - not the color of your skin We are all humans whose various cultures engender both shame and pride. Our work black and white is not done. It's completely asinine to be proud of the color of your skin, something you had NOTHING to do with. You want to proud of something? Go achieve a goal.
I have zero work to do concerning black and white. I treat everyone the exact same. I couldn't care less what color someone happens to be. I only care about their character. You should try it.
Osodecentx
Rawhide said:

Waco1947 said:

whitetrash said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Nope. He white.
I am white. I am a proud human being and see others as humans while respecting each person circumstances of living in a racist culture. You don't see people. You see color as evident of your history of posts
A racist culture does not mean whites are racists but rather that we whites enjoy a white privilege and fail to recognize it and too often work to defend it. White privilege is the big lie. It's designed to foster resentment and hatred of white people today (who never owned slaves) by black people in order to keep the country divided and the democrat votes coming in. In America today, everyone (especially black people) have more opportunity in the history - of the planet.
For me to be anti racist is to understand my racist history and fight against it in myself and in my culture and nation. If you have a racist history, that's on you, your actions and your character - not the color of your skin We are all humans whose various cultures engender both shame and pride. Our work black and white is not done. It's completely asinine to be proud of the color of your skin, something you had NOTHING to do with. You want to proud of something? Go achieve a goal.
I have zero work to do concerning black and white. I treat everyone the exact same. I couldn't care less what color someone happens to be. I only care about their character. You should try it.
Not good enough. Add self flagellation
Doc Holliday
Waco1947 said:

whitetrash said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Nope. He white.
I am white. I am a proud human being and see others as humans while respecting each person circumstances of living in a racist culture.
A racist culture does not mean whites are racists but rather that we whites enjoy a white privilege and fail to recognize it and too often work to defend it.
For me to be anti racist is to understand my racist history and fight against it in myself and in my culture and nation. We are all humans whose various cultures engender both shame and pride. Our work black and white is not done.
Companies refusing to hire white people in order to stop white privilege.

For it or against it?
GrowlTowel
Waco1947 said:

whitetrash said:

Rawhide said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Nope. He white.
And then what? Abort their babies? Enslave them in slums?
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Waco1947
Rawhide said:

Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

They are already taking those actions. Listen to them. See 1) above. You will find out what they are doing..
Waco1947
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

Rawhide said:

Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

They are already taking those actions. Listen to them. See 1) above. You will find out what they are doing..
Took a quick poll with some black co-workers. They said:

1. Nice to be heard, there is no effect of 'being white', just a matter of personal courtesy and mutual respect is expected, race not a factor.

2. They don't know those books, and have no desire to read them. They did suggest it's rude to tell someone what they should be reading unless you are in the same book club.

3. They prefer the new Marvel movies and TENET.

4. They suggested anyone who actually worked on a HFH project would know that HFH builds homes for poor people of all races, and race is not a determinant of need or worth.

They also suggested the guy who wrote those suggestions is not right in the head.
quash
Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

1) Don't do that. None of your Black friends owes you a history lesson. If you feel like you need to know more about the Black perspective just pay attention. But don't ask for a free tutor, that's cringey.
2) Read Cynical Theories by Lindsay and Pluckrose. It's a two-fer: racial history and what's wrong with CRT.
3) Back in the day Arsenio Hall asked about the metrics of racial equality in Hollywood. One actor said "When Black people are cast in roles written for white people." I think that is fair. In 1986 Jumpin' Jack Flash was written with Bruce Willis in mind for the lead; Whoopie Goldberg played it.
4) Work on H4H anywhere. It is a great organization. You will work side by side with the eventual owners, whoever they are, because H4H requires sweat equity.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Whiskey Pete
Waco1947 said:

Rawhide said:

Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Not good enough. What actions do they need to take to better their lives.

Tell us what black people can't do today that I can, you know, being white and all
Whiskey Pete
quash said:

Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

1) Don't do that. None of your Black friends owes you a history lesson. If you feel like you need to know more about the Black perspective just pay attention. But don't ask for a free tutor, that's cringey.
2) Read Cynical Theories by Lindsay and Pluckrose. It's a two-fer: racial history and what's wrong with CRT.
3) Back in the day Arsenio Hall asked about the metrics of racial equality in Hollywood. One actor said "When Black people are cast in roles written for white people." I think that is fair. In 1986 Jumpin' Jack Flash was written with Bruce Willis in mind for the lead; Whoopie Goldberg played it.
4) Work on H4H anywhere. It is a great organization. You will work side by side with the eventual owners, whoever they are, because H4H requires sweat equity.
Not to mention, in the book, the original character played by Denzel Washington in The Pelican Brief was white.

Plus Morgan Freeman as Red in the Shawshank Redemption, in the book was described as white and Irish.

There's plenty of other examples too.

Too bad wac47 can only see people for the color they are.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Rawhide said:

quash said:

Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Plus Morgan Freeman as Red in the Shawshank Redemption, in the book was described as white and Irish.

There is no way Shawshank Redemption works with a white man, and probably not any man period, other than Morgan Freeman in that role. The man is underappreciated as an actor.
Whiskey Pete
Carlos Cruz said:

Rawhide said:

quash said:

Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

There is no way Shawshank Redemption works with a white man, and probably not any man period, other than Morgan Freeman in that role. The man is underappreciated as an actor.
1,000% agree!
Waco1947
I have no idea how you framed the conversation. Are you their boss?
Waco1947
Waco1947
quash said:

Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Doc Holliday said:

Porteroso said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

4) Work on H4H anywhere. It is a great organization. You will work side by side with the eventual

Although I appreciate your answer I am sticking with mine. I was asked "What should white people do?"
1) Of course black people don" owe a history lesson. I asked a different question, "what for your is the effect that whites have have on them at this time in their life? Do they experience racism?
Of course we don't intrude on their person lives without relationship.
2) I'll go with my choices of books
3) Black writers penned both films
4) On 40 we agree. but visiting with the family in invaluable.

Waco1947
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

I have no idea how you framed the conversation. Are you their boss?
Nope, just a colleague. One was a manager from a different department, two others worked in his team, and the last was an IT tech.

Not surprised you have 'no idea' how to talk to people in casual conversation, but it's amusing that you have to think I 'framed' the conversation when all I did was print out your post and ask for their thoughts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.