Are Southwest Airlines employees sabotaging their company over vaccine mandate?

4,879 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JXL
Mothra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

midgett said:

br53 said:

Rawhide said:

br53 said:

Why are we blaming Southwest for the mandate? Pretty sure Biden made the mandate and since Southwest has over 100 employees and contracts with the government the mandate was not Southwests choice it was from the government. Or am I missing something?
I think you're missing that people are angry that Southwest isn't fighting back against these BS mandates.

So as a business owner I should fight back and lose my government contracts and money when I just spent the 9 of last 18 months with no business and also tell those that I have contracts with to screw off? Did I also mention that government that made the mandates floated me and all the other airlines a nice chunk of change to keep us in business during the pandemic? They can't tell the government to piss off because the government keeps saving the airlines butt every time there is an issue. Y'all need to understand that you may have Southwest stock but the government controls them and every other airline.
Government drives you out of business (with economic shutdown).

Government then props you up during the economic shutdown.

Now you owe the government (for that they caused).

And now you lose your deeply personal medical freedom to the government.

Sounds like another good scam by the govvies.
Great story, except in real life it was Covid that shut down the economy. And may well do so again if the virus stans have their way.
Too many contradictions Sam .

Working Americans have to be vaccinated or lose their jobs....for most that means losing their only means of support. In reality a cynical piece of manipulation .

Because hundreds of thousands of illegals can enter the country and DON' T have to be vaccinated.

Students have to be vaccinated....but NOT teachers ?
Army troops have to be vaccinated but NOT postal workers ?

Can you say UNIONS ?

Doesn't pass the smell test.....none of it does .

They won't even have to be vaccinated to keep their jobs. Weekly testing is enough. It's a lot of outrage over nothing.

If not vaccines, masks, or testing, what policy is acceptable? Can employers even send workers home if they're sick?
Completely side stepping the obvious mandate contradictions ......why ?
As another poster pointed out, he is too invested in the answer to ask the obvious questions. One of the most accurate statements about the poster in question I've seen on these boards.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

See paragraph 2 of the comment you replied to. The rest of us want a return to normalcy and are tired of the wild conspiracies and resistance theater from a vocal minority. High case counts and death rates, now being driven largely by unvaccinated populations, are an impediment to the economy as a whole. Each new surge costs more resources and human capital. Seven hundred fourteen thousand deaths and counting now, over 99% of them in the last wave were unvaccinated.

Early on the right wing narrative was that some sacrifice of lives was acceptable, even necessary, to sustain the economy. The majority of America ended up deciding that a small sacrifice of personal liberty, i.e. mandating a proven safe and effective vaccination, is an acceptable cost to move past the pandemic.
The case counts and death rates should have little impact on the economy. If anything, it drives profits and OT for health care workers, and it makes more jobs available to the unemployed. The only thing economically impacted is by the lockdowns. Similarly, the disruptions in some industries and firing essential workers is causing the harm not covid.

I don't know why you always reflexively go to binary tribal silliness, but by the same token the left wing narrative was "don't trust Trump's vaccine."

For the record, I think everyone > 30 should get vaccinated. The question that remains unanswered is why are people that are pro-vaccine so hysterical about the unvaccinated. If one believes it works, then one should resume life as normal. If I am vaccinated, I should not be afraid to fly because the stewardess or pilot is not vaccinated. That's irrational.
Only a small percentage of the economic impact was caused by lockdowns.

"The vaccine works or it doesn't" is a false dichotomy. It works well overall, better for some than others, and reduces stress on hospitals so they can care for more patients with other needs as well as those with Covid.
Dated article that fails to examine long term repercussions. Data is from Spring of 2020.
When we had lockdowns.
Sam Lowry
Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

midgett said:

br53 said:

Rawhide said:

br53 said:

Why are we blaming Southwest for the mandate? Pretty sure Biden made the mandate and since Southwest has over 100 employees and contracts with the government the mandate was not Southwests choice it was from the government. Or am I missing something?
I think you're missing that people are angry that Southwest isn't fighting back against these BS mandates.

So as a business owner I should fight back and lose my government contracts and money when I just spent the 9 of last 18 months with no business and also tell those that I have contracts with to screw off? Did I also mention that government that made the mandates floated me and all the other airlines a nice chunk of change to keep us in business during the pandemic? They can't tell the government to piss off because the government keeps saving the airlines butt every time there is an issue. Y'all need to understand that you may have Southwest stock but the government controls them and every other airline.

Great story, except in real life it was Covid that shut down the economy. And may well do so again if the virus stans have their way.

Working Americans have to be vaccinated or lose their jobs....for most that means losing their only means of support. In reality a cynical piece of manipulation .

Because hundreds of thousands of illegals can enter the country and DON' T have to be vaccinated.

Can you say UNIONS ?

They won't even have to be vaccinated to keep their jobs. Weekly testing is enough. It's a lot of outrage over nothing.

If not vaccines, masks, or testing, what policy is acceptable? Can employers even send workers home if they're sick?
It's stupid union s***. What about it?
The administration is allowing these contradictions . If the virus requires mandates...if it is so critical to enforce one ...even to the point of firing working people....

They why are unions exempt ?

D variant doesn't attack unions members who put cash in Dem campaigns ?

D variant doesn't attack illegals ?
I've said I don't think they should be exempt. What else is there to say? The pandemic should be a public health issue, not a political issue.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

See paragraph 2 of the comment you replied to. The rest of us want a return to normalcy and are tired of the wild conspiracies and resistance theater from a vocal minority. High case counts and death rates, now being driven largely by unvaccinated populations, are an impediment to the economy as a whole. Each new surge costs more resources and human capital. Seven hundred fourteen thousand deaths and counting now, over 99% of them in the last wave were unvaccinated.

Early on the right wing narrative was that some sacrifice of lives was acceptable, even necessary, to sustain the economy. The majority of America ended up deciding that a small sacrifice of personal liberty, i.e. mandating a proven safe and effective vaccination, is an acceptable cost to move past the pandemic.
The case counts and death rates should have little impact on the economy. If anything, it drives profits and OT for health care workers, and it makes more jobs available to the unemployed. The only thing economically impacted is by the lockdowns. Similarly, the disruptions in some industries and firing essential workers is causing the harm not covid.

I don't know why you always reflexively go to binary tribal silliness, but by the same token the left wing narrative was "don't trust Trump's vaccine."

For the record, I think everyone > 30 should get vaccinated. The question that remains unanswered is why are people that are pro-vaccine so hysterical about the unvaccinated. If one believes it works, then one should resume life as normal. If I am vaccinated, I should not be afraid to fly because the stewardess or pilot is not vaccinated. That's irrational.

"The vaccine works or it doesn't" is a false dichotomy. It works well overall, better for some than others, and reduces stress on hospitals so they can care for more patients with other needs as well as those with Covid.
Dated article that fails to examine long term repercussions. Data is from Spring of 2020.
When we had lockdowns.
Many lockdowns didn't end in April 2020, and restrictions on businesses and movement have continued well into 2021:

https://www.usatoday.com/storytelling/coronavirus-reopening-america-map/

And to point out again, your piece doesn't look at long-term economic implications of the lockdowns.
Canada2017
Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

midgett said:

br53 said:

Rawhide said:

br53 said:

Can you say UNIONS ?

The administration is allowing these contradictions . If the virus requires mandates...if it is so critical to enforce one ...even to the point of firing working people....

I've said I don't think they should be exempt. What else is there to say? The pandemic should be a public health issue, not a political issue.

It's not about you….it's about these contradictions.

Either this D variant is not all that serious or ALL illegals should be vaccinated.

Either this D variant is not as lethal….or ALL unions should adhere to the same mandates .

Otherwise it's all a complete joke .
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

When we had lockdowns.
Many lockdowns didn't end in April 2020, and restrictions on businesses and movement have continued well into 2021:

And to point out again, your piece doesn't look at long-term economic implications of the lockdowns.

Your link supports my point. We're past the height of restrictions, they are lifted in the vast majority of states, yet people are still leaving their homes less. Most of the response is and always has been voluntary.
Sam Lowry
Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

midgett said:

br53 said:

Rawhide said:

br53 said:

Can you say UNIONS ?

Either this D variant is not all that serious or ALL illegals should be vaccinated.

Either this D variant is not as lethal….or ALL unions should adhere to the same mandates .

The D variant is lethal, and the unions should adhere to the same mandates. The issue is the politics, not the science.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

When we had lockdowns.

Your link supports my point. We're past the height of restrictions, they have eased in the vast majority of states, yet people are still leaving their homes less. Most of the response is and always has been voluntary.
No, I think you're missing the point. The long term implications of the lockdowns are not examined by your article. For instance, the business that had to shut down, or lost most of its staff and now cannot rehire them is in many ways a casualty of the lockdowns. There are thousands of small businesses that fall into this category. Again, your article only looks at short term economic impact without examining the long term implications.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

midgett said:

br53 said:

Rawhide said:

br53 said:

Can you say UNIONS ?

The D variant is lethal, and the unions should adhere to the same mandates. The issue is the politics, not the science.
Lethal to .04% of people over 50 anyway.

If only science could tells us about the long-term implications of the experimental vaccine.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

When we had lockdowns.

Your link supports my point. We're past the height of restrictions, they have eased in the vast majority of states, yet people are still leaving their homes less. Most of the response is and always has been voluntary.
No, I think you're missing the point. The long term implications of the lockdowns are not examined by your article. For instance, the business that had to shut down, or lost most of its staff and now cannot rehire them is in many ways a casualty of the lockdowns. There are thousands of small businesses that fall into this category. Again, your article only looks at short term economic impact without examining the long term implications.
It doesn't examine the long term implications of Covid, either. Bergeron's statement was that the economic effect was limited to government lockdowns. That isn't true.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

When we had lockdowns.

It doesn't examine the long term implications of Covid, either. Bergeron's statement was that the economic effect was limited to government lockdowns. That isn't true.
That's not accurate. He also said disruptions in some industries and firing essential workers is causing the harm. That is an accurate statement.
Canada2017
Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

midgett said:

br53 said:

Rawhide said:

br53 said:

Can you say UNIONS ?

It's political alright .

Millions of illegals coming in without any kind of health check .
Yet citizens losing their jobs for not being vaccinated.

Dishonest mandates that don't apply to Dem campaign contributors.

This pandemic is being used as a cover for an internal coup.

The science ….the health of the American people is immaterial to these *******s in DC.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

When we had lockdowns.

That's not accurate. He also said disruptions in some industries and firing essential workers is causing the harm. That is an accurate statement.

I know what he said. If you don't understand it, take it up with him.
Sam Lowry
Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

midgett said:

br53 said:

Rawhide said:

br53 said:

Can you say UNIONS ?

It's political alright .

The science ….the health of the American people is immaterial to these *******s in DC.
Immigration is another issue. However infuriating it may be, the threat of the Delta variant is a fact.
Wangchung
Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

midgett said:

br53 said:

Rawhide said:

br53 said:

Can you say UNIONS ?

It's political alright .

Immigration is another issue. However infuriating it may be, the threat of the Delta variant is a fact.
No, the open border is directly tied to the reality of Covid.
Sam Lowry
Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

midgett said:

br53 said:

Rawhide said:

br53 said:

Can you say UNIONS ?

It's not about you%85.it's about these contradictions.

Either this D variant is not as lethal%85.or ALL unions should adhere to the same mandates .

It's political alright .

The science %85.the health of the American people is immaterial to these *******s in DC.
Biden's border crisis is adding to the problem. Denying the seriousness of the variant adds to it even more. Neither one excuses the other.
Wangchung
Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

midgett said:

br53 said:

Rawhide said:

br53 said:

Can you say UNIONS ?

It's not about you%85.it's about these contradictions.

Either this D variant is not as lethal%85.or ALL unions should adhere to the same mandates .

It's political alright .

The science %85.the health of the American people is immaterial to these *******s in DC.
Biden's border crisis is adding to the problem. Denying the seriousness of the variant adds to it even more. Neither one excuses the other.
I'm sorry, I mistook your "immigration is another issue" as "immigration is a separate issue". My mistake.
Canada2017
Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

midgett said:

br53 said:

Rawhide said:

br53 said:

Can you say UNIONS ?

It's political alright .

Granted......he Delta variant is a threat.

But the flagrant contradictions in the implementation of these mandates clearly shows that the ultimate goal is manipulation of the masses.

Or does the Biden administration wish for postal workers to die of this virus ? Do the Dem's in California hate teachers and wish to kill them off.

Yes, accept the science.....then believe what you see these politicians doing...... and connect the dots.

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

midgett said:

br53 said:

Rawhide said:

br53 said:

Can you say UNIONS ?

It's political alright .

But the flagrant contradictions in the implementation of these mandates clearly shows that the ultimate goal is manipulation of the masses.

Or does the Biden administration wish for postal workers to die of this virus ? Do the Dem's in California hate teachers and wish to kill them off.

Yes, accept the science.....then believe what you see these politicians doing...... and connect the dots.

Think about this. China has 1.4 billion people. If they had 330,000,000 people die off, they would have plenty of people left to carry on. Should the U.S. lose 330,000,000 people, not so much.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Jack Bauer

Quote:

Chaos caused by Southwest Airlines cancellations was set to enter a fourth day on Tuesday after the airline warned it is still working on the problems that triggered hundreds of flight cancellations.
The third straight day of canceled and delayed flights left passengers stranded and steaming from California to the East Coast, with pictures from airports showing long queues and children sleeping on the floor.

More than 350 flights on Monday were canceled by the Texas airline following a weekend of major disruptions that it blamed on bad weather and air traffic control issues - but was the only airline to face problems on such a scale.

Monday's cancellations amounted to 10 percent of Southwest's schedule, and at least 1,400 other flights, or roughly 40 per cent, were delayed, according to the FlightAware tracking service.
By comparison, the second worst airline this weekend, American, saw two percent of its flights canceled. Shares of Southwest Airlines Co. fell 4.2 percent.

Since Saturday, more than 2,000 Southwest flights have been canceled, potentially affecting tens of thousands of people.

The widespread disruptions began shortly after the Southwest Airlines Pilots Association, representing 9,000 pilots, asked a federal court on Friday to block the airline's order that all employees get vaccinated by December 8.

The timing has caused many to question whether the disruptions is related to the company's vaccine mandate, with some claiming staff are staging industrial action over the decision.

The Southwest Airlines Pilots Association has denied the claims, but accused the company of a botched response to what it said would have been a minor challenge for other airlines.

HuMcK
It took less than 30 seconds of googling to discover that your assertions are wrong. USPS is subject to the same business mandate as anyone else with 100 employees, and California teachers are vaccine mandated just like other state employees.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/09/usps-exempt-from-biden-vax-mandate-for-100m-workers/

https://www.npr.org/sections/back-to-school-live-updates/2021/08/11/1026798288/california-teachers-covid-vaccination-mandatory-schools
Oldbear83
"Should the U.S. lose 330,000,000 people,"

Zero chance of us losing even 1 percent of our population from COVID whatever variant.

The relevant question is hoe deadly is Delta relative to Alpha?
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Canada2017
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

midgett said:

br53 said:

Rawhide said:

br53 said:

Can you say UNIONS ?

It's political alright .

Think about this. China has 1.4 billion people. If they had 330,000,000 people die off, they would have plenty of people left to carry on. Should the U.S. lose 330,000,000 people, not so much.

Back in the 60's Mao Zedong met with Kikita Khrushchev where he asked for nuclear weapons . Mao openly expressed his desire for a nuclear war with the United States .

Khrushchev was aghast at Mao's comments . Telling Mao how millions of Chinese would be killed in such a war .

Mao blandly replied …..' Even if they kill 300 million of us, so what ? '

So great was Mao's desire to obtain nuclear weapons he paid for them with the only commodity China possessed ….grain .
As much of the Soviet eastern bloc was in desperate need of grain in those years …..Khrushchev agreed .

This grain for nuclear technology exchange was made even though Mao's advisors had repeatedly warned him that China simply didn't have enough surplus grain to make such a trade .
That widespread famine in China would surely be the result .

Again Mao said……' So a few million die…. so what ? '

Deal was made and an estimated 10 -25 million Chinese died of starvation. Worse famine in recorded history .

That's a mindset most Americans simply can not comprehend or accept….so they simply dismiss it as false .
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

When we had lockdowns.

I know what he said. If you don't understand it, take it up with him.
Apparently you don't because you said Bergeron's statement was that the economic effect was limited to government lockdowns. He said more than that.

The question is, did you not understand him or were you purposely mischaracterizing?
Harrison Bergeron
Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

I'm assuming you read the paper you cited?
1. It is the worse kind of papers because they looked at one data set (mobile phone tracking, web searches) and then made an extrapolation based on their assumptions.
2. The data used was from mid-April 2020.

I will give you credit for not reading the summary vs. actually thinking this would be compelling to anyone with a brain.

I noted in my first post that there is a continuum of how people think about the vaccines from an efficacy perspective. However, that does not impact the irrationality of someone who is vaccinated thinking they need to be protected from the unvaccinated.
They used cell phone data to track contacts, which is common practice. Employment numbers were based on a variety of data, including business payrolls. Congratulations on reading three whole paragraphs, BTW.
I read the part where the study was based on data through mid-April 2020. I could try to explain the concept of lagging indicators to you, but I think at this point you've become too invested in the answer to consider any questions.
Obviously it was based on early 2020 because that's when most of the reaction that triggered the economic downturn happened. If you have evidence that it was caused by government orders, feel free to post. If you don't have evidence and just want to post whatever you think sounds good, feel free to do that too. It's an open forum.
It does not take a formal paper to connect the dots between the government shutting down businesses. I guess that is why one wise man said "common sense is not common." However, here are a few based on economic data and not a 30-day review of cell phones and web searches. This is such an odd hill to die on.

https://www.aier.org/article/the-devastating-economic-impact-of-covid-19-shutdowns/
https://fee.org/articles/study-lockdowns-had-largest-impact-in-destroying-economic-activity/
https://review.chicagobooth.edu/economics/2020/article/how-much-exactly-have-covid-19-lockdowns-affected-economy
https://www.stlouisfed.org/publications/regional-economist/third-quarter-2021/covid19s-economic-impact-world
Jack Bauer
Sam Lowry
Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

1. It is the worse kind of papers because they looked at one data set (mobile phone tracking, web searches) and then made an extrapolation based on their assumptions.

I will give you credit for not reading the summary vs. actually thinking this would be compelling to anyone with a brain.

I noted in my first post that there is a continuum of how people think about the vaccines from an efficacy perspective. However, that does not impact the irrationality of someone who is vaccinated thinking they need to be protected from the unvaccinated.
They used cell phone data to track contacts, which is common practice. Employment numbers were based on a variety of data, including business payrolls. Congratulations on reading three whole paragraphs, BTW.
I read the part where the study was based on data through mid-April 2020. I could try to explain the concept of lagging indicators to you, but I think at this point you've become too invested in the answer to consider any questions.
Obviously it was based on early 2020 because that's when most of the reaction that triggered the economic downturn happened. If you have evidence that it was caused by government orders, feel free to post. If you don't have evidence and just want to post whatever you think sounds good, feel free to do that too. It's an open forum.
It does not take a formal paper to connect the dots between the government shutting down businesses. I guess that is why one wise man said "common sense is not common." However, here are a few based on economic data and not a 30-day review of cell phones and web searches. This is such an odd hill to die on.

https://www.aier.org/article/the-devastating-economic-impact-of-covid-19-shutdowns/
https://fee.org/articles/study-lockdowns-had-largest-impact-in-destroying-economic-activity/
https://review.chicagobooth.edu/economics/2020/article/how-much-exactly-have-covid-19-lockdowns-affected-economy
https://www.stlouisfed.org/publications/regional-economist/third-quarter-2021/covid19s-economic-impact-world

None of those are "formal" in the sense of being peer-reviewed, and none support your contention that the only economic impact was from lockdowns. One of the links is from AIER, a source best known for the infamous Great Barrington Declaration. Two of them make no attempt to quantify the difference between lockdowns and voluntary behavior at all.

The working papers from NBER are interesting but have some big red flags. The first one takes a minority view based on the premise that foot traffic isn't a valid proxy for economic activity (the second paper, discussed below, takes its validity almost for granted but also cites research in support). The main problem here is that they overlook an obvious reason for more economic activity in businesses deemed essential -- i.e. maybe they really are essential. This study is also limited to California, which is known for being somewhat arbitrary and not allowing periods of relief in between pandemic waves like other states did.

The second paper is from early 2020 and uses Google data (not that it matters, but it's ironic in light of your disdain for contemporaneous research and cell phones). It relies largely on a phone survey, of all things, with a couple of apparent problems. Most of the reduced household spending is found to be discretionary. The respondents are Nielsen families, who must have a minimum household income in order to qualify. This eliminates many essential workers, who would be the least affected by lockdowns and likely have less discretionary budget to reduce. The study also relies on respondents to say whether they're under lockdown while not defining the term in any way (contrast with the Brookings study, which tracks specific types of lockdown measures by county). Considering some of the major misconceptions documented by the authors in the survey responses, there's no telling how many of these people were actually under a lockdown or what form it took.

One thing that all of your sources agree on, which was my point to begin with, is that the pandemic itself had a role in the economic slowdown. We can debate the importance of that role, but no serious study can deny it.
Canada2017
Yet almost as many people are dying per day of Covid as this same time last year....... but no repeat of shutdowns.

Lessons were learned.
Harrison Bergeron
Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

None of those are "formal" in the sense of being peer-reviewed, and none support your contention that the only economic impact was from lockdowns. One of the links is from AIER, a source best known for the infamous Great Barrington Declaration. Two of them make no attempt to quantify the difference between lockdowns and voluntary behavior at all.

The working papers from NBER are interesting but have some big red flags. The first one takes a minority view based on the premise that foot traffic isn't a valid proxy for economic activity (the second paper, discussed below, takes its validity almost for granted but also cites research in support). The main problem here is that they overlook an obvious reason for more economic activity in businesses deemed essential -- i.e. maybe they really are essential. This study is also limited to California, which is known for being somewhat arbitrary and not allowing periods of relief in between pandemic waves like other states did.

The second paper is from early 2020 and uses Google data (not that it matters, but it's ironic in light of your disdain for contemporaneous research and cell phones). It relies largely on a phone survey, of all things, with a couple of apparent problems. Most of the reduced household spending is found to be discretionary. The respondents are Nielsen families, who must have a minimum household income in order to qualify. This eliminates many essential workers, who would be the least affected by lockdowns and likely have less discretionary budget to reduce. The study also relies on respondents to say whether they're under lockdown while not defining the term in any way (contrast with the Brookings study, which tracks specific types of lockdown measures by county). Considering some of the major misconceptions documented by the authors in the survey responses, there's no telling how many of these people were actually under a lockdown or what form it took.

One thing that all of your sources agree on, which was my point to begin with, is that the pandemic itself had a role in the economic slowdown. We can debate the importance of that role, but no serious study can deny it.
I admire your commitment. When you take a position the pope ex cathedra could not change your mind. If you want to believe the lockdowns had little impact on the economy, I am not going to change your mind.
Doc Holliday

JXL
Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

HuMcK said:

Do the millions who beat covid and have antibodies need the vaccine?

You can get Covid more than once.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.