Drew a candidate for the UK job??

109,506 Views | 997 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by historian
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hopefully this is a short-lived thread because we quickly hear it's not happening....

I never was worried about Louisville....but UK is a different animal. I still think he stays....hope so.

BearFan33
UK worries me too. It may mean we need to sweeten his pot here.
IowaBear
The pressure to win at UK is enormous. The pressure to win in the post season at UK is even more enormous. Maybe he's ready for that challenge. But I promise his culture of Joy isn't gonna fly at UK. The only thing that matters there is winning.
PartyBear
Yes despite his results it was iffy as to whether UK was going to fire Calipari or not after the season ended. But still……the Kentucky job is the men's hoops equivalent of what the Michigan or Texas job is in football.
MattyIce
Kentucky is one of the three or four school I could see Coach Drew leaving for.
If his buyout is really only 4.5 million, that is embarrassingly low!!!
My heart says Coach Drew will never leave, but my head doesn't know
Bear in AL
There was a time not long ago (7 - 10 years) that the status quo was the status quo you could count on. But now, I have come to the realization that anything is possible. I would hate to see CSD leave, but the UK job is pretty much one of the top drawer opportunities in college basketball. I continue to reset my expectations for Baylor athletics and am gradually becoming more of a realist.
Mitch Henessey
PartyBear said:

Yes despite his results it was iffy as to whether UK was going to fire Calipari or not after the season ended. But still……the Kentucky job is the men's hoops equivalent of what the Michigan or Texas job is in football.
Calipari had a $33mm buyout if Kentucky fired him. His buyout was $0 if he left of his own accord.

This is the third job we've seen this off-season where the coach made a lateral move (at best; these have all been a step down, IMO) before their seat got unbearably hot.

- Enfield from USC -> SMU
- Musselman from Arky -> USC
- Cal from UK -> Arky
IvanBear
MattyIce said:

Kentucky is one of the three or four school I could see Coach Drew leaving for.
If his buyout is really only 4.5 million, that is embarrassingly low!!!
My heart says Coach Drew will never leave, but my head doesn't know

If his buyout is truly that low, then the buyout we get when losing him needs to be used to fire our AD first for constructing a weaker contract than Alabama.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Why is Dan Hurley not on that list? If I were UK, I'd throw the world at him.
cowboycwr
I don't see Drew leaving for Kentucky just because like another poster said, winning is all that matters there. HE wouldn't get to focus on JOY.

Here he gets to do that. And here (while no one is "happy" with the loss in the tournament) no one is going to call for his firing for many more years.

Sometimes the money is not enough to leave an atmosphere, lower/not unrealistic expectations (meaning we don't expect to win or play for the NC every year), and an established program.
Big12Fan2024
It will be interesting to see if the hire is done based on best fit or most accomplishments. The two who do not fit Kentucky are both Hurley and Drew. Hurley struggles to keep his emotions intact at UConn. The pressure and criticism would eat him alive eventually at Kentucky because in this day with transfer portal and NIL there is no one who is gonna put together long strings of championships.

Drew would be a bad fit for the opposite reasons. A school like Baylor has fostered his optimism, positivity and JOY culture. That would last 5 seconds with Kentucky fans after he loses in the first weekend of the NCAAs or Arkansas or Bama wins the SEC over him. Scott has had it pretty cush here because a large part of the fan base only knew the Baylor who had no success so simply making the tournament is good enough for them. We are overjoyed because the man brought us a national championship. Kentucky fans see a guy who won a natty but otherwise has made it out of the first weekend in the NCAAs one other time in a decade.

I think Scott is wise enough to know he is the perfect fit for Baylor and Baylor is the perfect fit for him. He has a job for the rest of his life and a statue that will probably go up even before he retires.
MattyIce
Drew is the favorite on BetOnline
robertr18
Coach Drew may see Kentucky as a missionary field where he can spread his Joy message.
The extra, what $ 2 millions +/- more dollars may become a factor.
If Coach Drew does leave, the AD should put a for sale sign in his front yard as well.
I hope Coach Drew leaving does not happen.
ImABearToo
Drew is Grant Teaff II. Scott and Baylor were made for each other.
Porteroso
Drew would not be as bad a fit as some of you think. You say he wouldn't be able to instill his own culture, but why would that be? The guy has been here decades, and this is going to be his best opportunity to make an upwards move.

Honestly if he is still motivated to change and improve as a coach, he should take it. If he is comfortable resting and coasting on what he singlehandedly built, I think he stays, and I have respect for either decision.
Mitch Henessey
Porteroso said:

The guy has been here decades, and this is going to be his best opportunity to make an upwards move.

Honestly if he is still motivated to change and improve as a coach, he should take it. If he is comfortable resting and coasting on what he singlehandedly built
What even is this take?

Would you similarly say that John Wooden was coasting after 1964? Was Mike Krzyzewski coasting after 1991? How does staying at a place you literally built up from nothing mean you're not interested in improving? What a wild post.
2Bears
I am hopeful Drew is at Baylor the rest of his career. If any job is tempting though, I think this would be it.
boognish_bear
Porteroso
Mitch Henessey said:

Porteroso said:

The guy has been here decades, and this is going to be his best opportunity to make an upwards move.

Honestly if he is still motivated to change and improve as a coach, he should take it. If he is comfortable resting and coasting on what he singlehandedly built
What even is this take?

Would you similarly say that John Wooden was coasting after 1964? Was Mike Krzyzewski coasting after 1991? How does staying at a place you literally built up from nothing mean you're not interested in improving? What a wild post.

I'm sorry but Baylor is not like those you posted. To compare Wooden or Krzyzewski to Drew is wild, and comparing Baylor to UCLA or Duke is wild.

Drew will never again have the situation he had for the natty. It was once in a lifetime to have covid encourage upperclassmen to band together to stay and see what they were capable of. It will not happen again.

What I'm not saying is that Drew won't do his best at Baylor. Obviously he will. But Kentucky would simply be a more demanding job, and he would be forced to improve his coaching, make some changes, that are difficult to know how to improve or change, in an entrenched position.
boognish_bear
Well....maybe this is a good sign

EvilTroyAndAbed
boognish_bear said:

Well....maybe this is a good sign

Too expensive for Kentucky?
Buttpanda
I read the buyout is $18m. That's a lot for a basketball coach. That's more than 2 years of Calipari's salary worth of money.
BluesBear
If Drew leaves, then all the best of luck. He would go down as the best Coach in Baylor History. Sorry Kim.
Jayballer
I have to agree on these odds. Nate Oates buyout is to high. No way is Hurley leaving the East, Bruce Pearl would be a good fit BUT like they are saying on Uk message boards & Jeff Goodman & Seeth Davis and others he still has baggage.

Drew is a very , very legit chance to be named thinking Mitch Barnhardht feels like Drew is a safe bet. - -A lot of fans are going nuts thinking of the thought Dre might be their next Coach.---- They hate the idea, posts such as ANYBODY but Scott Drew. They do not want Drew -- YET still think it's a good chance he is gone
IvanBear
Why is Drew's buyout so low? If this isn't a question to Mack Rhodes soon our baylor media is a joke.
Big12Fan2024
So Nate Oats who had never been to a Final 4 when he signed his contract has an $18 million buyout and TJ Otzelberger who has never even won a conference championship has a $12 million buyout, while Scott Drew's buyout is only $4.5 million?
Bearwhiz
You guys just figuring out Rhoades is terrible at his job?
IvanBear
Bearwhiz said:

No, but this is terrible by even his standards. Drew's contract should be a fully guaranteed and his buyout should be the remaining contract value
GoodOleBaylorLine
GoodOleBaylorLine
Bearwhiz said:

He's good at getting himself paid.

That's about it.
BearPit12
If Drew leaves, Mack should be fired immediately.
I personally would sell my Football season tickets I just paid for and renew my Pavillion seats and only sell to away fans
GoodOleBaylorLine
Chris Beard seems like the obvious choice to take the UK job to me.

I am sure they will put out the feelers and maybe someone bites (including Drew). Few could shock people by admitting he won't win it all in Spokane and moving. But we went through this when Calipari took the job and a lot of people turned it down.
boognish_bear
Where are people getting that Drew's buyout is 4.5 million?

As a private school that information is not disclosed.

If you look at the top 15 coaches here most of their buyouts are somewhere between $15 to $20 million. I would assume Drew is in that ballpark.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach
EvilTroyAndAbed
Porteroso said:

Drew would not be as bad a fit as some of you think. You say he wouldn't be able to instill his own culture, but why would that be? The guy has been here decades, and this is going to be his best opportunity to make an upwards move.

Honestly if he is still motivated to change and improve as a coach, he should take it. If he is comfortable resting and coasting on what he singlehandedly built, I think he stays, and I have respect for either decision.
You think he's coasting?
Jorkel
IvanBear said:

Bearwhiz said:

No, but this is terrible by even his standards. Drew's contract should be a fully guaranteed and his buyout should be the remaining contract value

You think Mack and Baylor have any real negotiating leverage with Drew? He is a hot commodity as a coach. The men's program was dog water before him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.