Drew a candidate for the UK job??

111,480 Views | 997 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by historian
Guitarbiscuit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Excellent point. People tend to commit some money if there is an optional "Support us here" but are unwilling to be trapped into a monthly payment. If it takes the free board even 30 percent closer to breaking even, it would be worth adding a paypal/venmo button.

bear2be2
wongobear said:

Ashley Hodge said:

on Briles, I definitely got that wrong. According to the person I was talking to (on the regents), they felt like he would be retained but obviously that quickly went sideways with meetings.

Chad Morris was probably a smokescreen as was Sonny Dykes in that coaching search, but we did break the Rhule news. Broke it on twitter and got a lot of grief from premium members on that.

Brian nailed the realignment stuff, he was probably one of the first to say Colorado and Arizona were coming.

We have good connections within Baylor athletics, sometimes with the coaching search stuff it helps, sometimes it doesn't. But for the day to day info on following the teams it is very valuable.

Not really looking for attaboys necessarily on the free side (or premium side) but it does hurt our ability to have people try premium when we have posters belittling what we do regularly. I've said my piece, no reason to go back and forth.

I know there are a lot of great Baylor fans on the free side posting. I'll get with Jason Stewart on a plan going forward and go from there. Appreciate all the feedback.

The "betters" comment made me laugh.
Is there an option to kick a few dollars towards the site? Patreon or something like that? I'd be willing to pay a few dollars a month to help the free boards break even, but a premium subscription falls outside of what I'd like to commit to.
Same. I'm more interested in open discussion than I am insider information and recruiting news. I'd likely pay a few dollars to keep the free boards open but don't have much interest in joining the premium side of this site for the reasons I've already gone over in this thread.
Ghostrider
cowboycwr said:

historian said:

cowboycwr said:

Those with inside sources like Blues bear sure have gone silent.....

That's probably because Blues Bear was a UK troll. It is their color, after all.
He posts with some regularity on here so I don't think he was a troll that created an account just for this.
yep, he goes back to Baylorfans days. He's been a poster longer than many on here have been alive. Haha
Ghostrider
bear2be2 said:

Heisman25g said:

TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

BaylorOkie said:

When BF first moved over here, I stayed on the free side for a good while. There were a few posters that wandered over from the premium side and acted like condescending jerks, and that made me want no part of the premium side. So I get it, and I still see that happening.

There are some (in my opinion) jokers on the premium side. But it is overwhelmingly a great community with all kinds of good discussion and info. And with all due respect, the info discussed over there plays out far more accurately than over here. I don't mean that in any other way than that's just my experience.

There are some strange and ridiculous responses to Ashley in this thread. Folks, he's losing money on this board, all while people talk shlt about him. I mean, who among us would want to keep paying for that kind if treatment? This isn't complicated. You guys are coming off as really entitled. JMO.

Entitled? Lol, no, we know we're free loaders. I've never had any issue with Ashley or this site's management. But it's absolutely ridiculous for Ashley to threaten to shut the community down because some turd or two criticized him. It's butt hurt and childish.

If he did shut it down, and y'all didn't have a place to go cry and complain, would y'all still be considered cry babies? Very similar to a tree falling in the woods does it still make a sound type a thing

Really makes you think
If he shuts it down, someone will start a free board like Baylorfans, and everyone will have what they want.

This isn't charity. All major college teams have a free forum on which to discuss their teams. If the owners of this site decide they don't want to host one, someone else will fill that void.
True. I just cannot imagine how one could not at least break even on a free board. Not sure if poor management or spending is out of hand, but you get sponsors by saying you have X amount of accounts registered. Removing thousands of accounts doesn't seem like good business decision, but it's their business.
cowboycwr
Ghostrider said:

bear2be2 said:

Heisman25g said:

BaylorOkie said:

When BF first moved over here, I stayed on the free side for a good while. There were a few posters that wandered over from the premium side and acted like condescending jerks, and that made me want no part of the premium side. So I get it, and I still see that happening.

There are some (in my opinion) jokers on the premium side. But it is overwhelmingly a great community with all kinds of good discussion and info. And with all due respect, the info discussed over there plays out far more accurately than over here. I don't mean that in any other way than that's just my experience.

There are some strange and ridiculous responses to Ashley in this thread. Folks, he's losing money on this board, all while people talk shlt about him. I mean, who among us would want to keep paying for that kind if treatment? This isn't complicated. You guys are coming off as really entitled. JMO.

Entitled? Lol, no, we know we're free loaders. I've never had any issue with Ashley or this site's management. But it's absolutely ridiculous for Ashley to threaten to shut the community down because some turd or two criticized him. It's butt hurt and childish.

If he did shut it down, and y'all didn't have a place to go cry and complain, would y'all still be considered cry babies? Very similar to a tree falling in the woods does it still make a sound type a thing

Really makes you think
If he shuts it down, someone will start a free board like Baylorfans, and everyone will have what they want.

This isn't charity. All major college teams have a free forum on which to discuss their teams. If the owners of this site decide they don't want to host one, someone else will fill that void.
True. I just cannot imagine how one could not at least break even on a free board. Not sure if poor management or spending is out of hand, but you get sponsors by saying you have X amount of accounts registered. Removing thousands of accounts doesn't seem like good business decision, but it's their business.
Perhaps it is because of that line in his post about the advertising going to Jason (baylorfans) and not back to the site....

But I would imagine the loss of the free boards would drop the number of clicks per day way down and scare off many advertisers.

Especially during football season when the in game threads can get lots of posters and clicks during the game.

Drop that down only to the select paid members the site visits per day would be dramatically cut.
historian
cowboycwr said:

historian said:

cowboycwr said:

That's probably because Blues Bear was a UK troll. It is their color, after all.
He posts with some regularity on here so I don't think he was a troll that created an account just for this.

I was half joking. I really have no idea.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
My point is that that is not a joking matter.
sicem2471
cowboycwr said:

Ghostrider said:

bear2be2 said:

Heisman25g said:

BaylorOkie said:

Really makes you think

Perhaps it is because of that line in his post about the advertising going to Jason (baylorfans) and not back to the site....

But I would imagine the loss of the free boards would drop the number of clicks per day way down and scare off many advertisers.

Especially during football season when the in game threads can get lots of posters and clicks during the game.

Drop that down only to the select paid members the site visits per day would be dramatically cut.
There is more paid members than not
bear2be2
sicem2471 said:

cowboycwr said:

Ghostrider said:

bear2be2 said:

Heisman25g said:

BaylorOkie said:

Really makes you think

This may well be true, but you'd still be losing a ton of regular site visitors by killing the free boards. It would certainly impact site traffic and would likely eventually have an impact on subscription growth.

Speaking from experience (I co-own and run a subscription-based high school sports website), it's hard to reach new audiences and grow without a convenient and consistent means of getting your content in front of potential subscribers. Ours is social media, where we share to more than 23,000 Facebook followers and reach close to 20,000 on Twitter (though that app has gone to hell since the ownership change).

Like it or not, this free board is a window into the site. So is social media, but unlike social media users, who may or may not ever click your shared links, free board posters are already habitual visitors to your site. The challenge at that point is trying to turn window shoppers into paying customers.
BUGWBBear
Ghostrider said:

cowboycwr said:

historian said:

cowboycwr said:

yep, he goes back to Baylorfans days. He's been a poster longer than many on here have been alive. Haha

I miss sparring with BEAR. I'm still waiting on the D&D Roofing Men's Softball Team to show up.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Ghostrider said:

bear2be2 said:

Heisman25g said:

BaylorOkie said:

Really makes you think

The free board is running on the same platform as the premium board. Hard to believe that if they shut the free board down that their costs would decrease by much. Certainly, mod time would decrease, and bandwidth use would as well. Not like they're going to downgrade to a different server, our freeloader posts are already so low as it is.

So it seems more like posturing, maybe they just need to get Jason to "believe" the cost figures and agree to a different deal. Truth is, if they shut this board down, a new one will pop up, and it will bad mouth this site all the more because this team of supposed baylor fans would have effectively killed two free boards. Baylor Fans was a fun board, and It's truly a travesty that Baylor Fans was killed for this type of disgruntled ownership. But here we are.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Ghostrider said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Feedemfishheads said:

Ya the Briles thing was true. He was my neighbor on the river and thought he would be back. FYI I have seen him without sleeves when we were moving items up to the house due to the river rising during flooding! lol

Had a great relationship with him. Haven't talked to him in a bit, but have talked to others on the staff. I was traveling to Jamaica Beach in the flood/rain that killed all the people in Brenham that day and got the call from a person crying. I got to JB around 2am, pulled out a bottle of Western Son and finished it by 4am. Then the death threats against my family started online, then to my real job, fun times.
yea, Briles thought he would return. He was told so by Starr and a few regents. Another handful or regents joined forces and thought it was best to clean house without cause. Several people knew this was happening on the boards. Mods didn't have the regent inside info, but that is fine. Just posting what they heard although it was way wrong.
But we're the puppets of the Regents per some.
PartyBear
Brian Ethridge said:

Ghostrider said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Feedemfishheads said:

Ya the Briles thing was true. He was my neighbor on the river and thought he would be back. FYI I have seen him without sleeves when we were moving items up to the house due to the river rising during flooding! lol

Had a great relationship with him. Haven't talked to him in a bit, but have talked to others on the staff. I was traveling to Jamaica Beach in the flood/rain that killed all the people in Brenham that day and got the call from a person crying. I got to JB around 2am, pulled out a bottle of Western Son and finished it by 4am. Then the death threats against my family started online, then to my real job, fun times.
yea, Briles thought he would return. He was told so by Starr and a few regents. Another handful or regents joined forces and thought it was best to clean house without cause. Several people knew this was happening on the boards. Mods didn't have the regent inside info, but that is fine. Just posting what they heard although it was way wrong.

People think that or something similar about anyone not yelling to fire the HC in a given sport when it hits a slump.
Ghostrider
Brian Ethridge said:

Ghostrider said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Feedemfishheads said:

I think more may believe it is more BU Admin or athletic dept. Most on 365 wanted Aranda gone so that would be a tough argument. I just wish you would remove the poster on the paid side than continues to wish that people would die
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Ghostrider said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Ghostrider said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Feedemfishheads said:

I think more may believe it is more BU Admin or athletic dept. Most on 365 wanted Aranda gone so that would be a tough argument. I just wish you would remove the poster on the paid side than continues to wish that people would die

He literally would kill me if I did.
Guitarbiscuit

If there is really a poster on these boards (paid or not) requesting that someone die, that's a problem in my eyes. I have not come across any posts to this effect myself, but that is the sort of behavior that should get someone banned from the site. One thing to call someone a moron or imbecile (I get called that once a week or so), but it's another thing entirely to tell that person to die.

bear2be2
Guitarbiscuit said:

If there is really a poster on these boards (paid or not) requesting that someone die, that's a problem in my eyes. I have not come across any posts to this effect myself, but that is the sort of behavior that should get someone banned from the site. One thing to call someone a moron or imbecile (I get called that once a week or so), but it's another thing entirely to tell that person to die.

Yeah, this is way beyond the pale.
historian
Thankfully it is very rare but it has happened before. I don't recall details but I do remember one person who was banned for doing just that. It's the right thing to do.
boognish_bear
A few weeks after joining S365 after the great migration I had a poster tell me to go stick my head in an oven. Guess that was my initiation.

Been death threat free since then.
historian
That might be the dxdd we make I vaguely remember. It was years ago.
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

A few weeks after joining S365 after the great migration I had a poster tell me to go stick my head in an oven. Guess that was my initiation.

I'm struggling to think of a single reason why anyone would have an issue with you. You're among the most civil, level-headed posters on this entire board.
Ghostrider
Brian Ethridge said:

Ghostrider said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Ghostrider said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Feedemfishheads said:

He literally would kill me if I did.
haha
Ghostrider
historian said:

Thankfully it is very rare but it has happened before. I don't recall details but I do remember one person who was banned for doing just that. It's the right thing to do.
you need to read more RebelT posts then. Never gets banned or has been warned that I know of.
boognish_bear
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

I'm struggling to think of a single reason why anyone would have an issue with you. You're among the most civil, level-headed posters on this entire board.

Appreciate it.

It was weird. I can't remember exactly what it was...but I think it had something to do with CAB. Emotions were running high I guess. He still posts here and he's mostly always positive.
Guitarbiscuit
Glad the poster was banned. It appeared to me that whoever is doing it these days is still going at it with impunity. Perhaps I read it wrong and that this is not really the case. You know you've basically reached rock bottom as a board when that sort of crap is tolerated.
RightRevBear
Guitarbiscuit said:

Only once a week! You must not be married with a teenager. I want to know your secret.
cowboycwr
sicem2471 said:

cowboycwr said:

Ghostrider said:

bear2be2 said:

Heisman25g said:

BaylorOkie said:

Really makes you think

I would not have thought that. Especially with all the accounts created for a specific game that are just trolls/opposing team visitors.

I would believe there are more active subscribers than free accounts.
tmcats
Matt Mosley
@mattmosley
@CoachJTang
tells "The Matt Mosley Show" with
@realcamstuart
what he told
@BUDREW
when he was considering UK:
"Go where you're celebrated, not where you're tolerated," he told Drew. "Don't mess with happy."
Ghostrider
Very wise words!
ImABearToo
Amen to that. Strong brotherhood!
Guitarbiscuit
RightRevBear said:

Guitarbiscuit said:

Only once a week! You must not be married with a teenager. I want to know your secret.

That's pretty much my secret. Single. It's possible my pets are calling me a moron but I just don't know it.
ScrappyPaws
BUGWBBear said:

Ghostrider said:

cowboycwr said:

historian said:

cowboycwr said:

I miss sparring with BEAR. I'm still waiting on the D&D Roofing Men's Softball Team to show up.

I honestly thought Bear was going to kill me someday. I wish I had access to all the DMs he sent me back then. Crazy.
Ghostrider
ScrappyPaws said:

BUGWBBear said:

Ghostrider said:

cowboycwr said:

historian said:

cowboycwr said:

I honestly thought Bear was going to kill me someday. I wish I had access to all the DMs he sent me back then. Crazy.
That board was way more active. Also, had many great posters....several that didn't migrate.
BUGWBBear
ScrappyPaws said:

BUGWBBear said:

Ghostrider said:

cowboycwr said:

historian said:

cowboycwr said:

The only thing BEAR could ever kill was time.
ScottS
Is the old BEAR still around?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.