Drew a candidate for the UK job??

111,489 Views | 997 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by historian
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big12Fan2024 said:

These two tweets came out within five minutes of each other. Which one is right?

bear2be2
Robert Wilson said:

bear2be2 said:

Big12Fan2024 said:

So Cal basically takes his recruiting class to Arkansas and Scott takes Edgecombe and Wright to Kentucky in the era of immediate transfer portal?
Pretty much. Our next coach will be building his first roster from the portal. That's the way new hires work now.

Tang did that at Kansas State and promptly made the elite eight.
McCasland did it for the most part at Tech, too. You can build a competitive roster.
Big12Fan2024
Tang's key was that he inherited a phenomenal college PG in Marquis Nowell and they took a late risk on a guy with a heart issue and one of the few rosters that still had an opening when he was released and it paid off. You see what happened with the quality at the PG took a step down and there was no offensive threat on the front line this year.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

If he does take the job which seems all but guaranteed we need to make a hire quick. Portal entrants are already starting to find new homes and I'd imagine we will also lose all 3 incoming recruits
I would imagine we've already gauged the interest with the Drew tree guys. It will happen in days.

This has been an insane chain reaction.

Enfield --> Musselman --> Calipari --> Drew --> ???

College basketball has been thrown for a massive loop because Andy Enfield chose SMU over USC.
bear2be2
Guitarbiscuit said:

bear2be2 said:

Reverend said:

Kentucky is the top wrung of college basketball, despite their recent failures in the tournament. You're crazy if you don't at least think about it. I think he will and decide he has, for him, the best job in the world.

If he decides otherwise, I wish him the best and thank him a thousand times over.
Same. Scott Drew has given us 21 amazing years. I hope we get 20 more. But if we don't, I'll wish him success in Lexington and look forward to seeing what his successor can do with the foundation he's leaving them.

I'll wish him well too, because he didn't just abandon us at the first sign of greener pastures. That said, I'm not as confident about our continued success without him, as the foundation he has been able to build in the last 20 years is not as established as other blueblood programs that can seemingly just plug in a new coach and keep on winning. Hope I'm wrong.
If we hire McCasland, we'll remain a top program in the Big 12. He's been successful literally everywhere he's ever coached, from JUCO to Division II to mid-major to high major. He's an elite basketball coach. Bring him home.
Big12Fan2024
And that chain will likely keep going as we take one from Kansas State or Texas Tech and then they have to go steal one.
bear2be2
Big12Fan2024 said:

And that chain will likely keep going as we take one from Kansas State or Texas Tech and then they have to go steal one.
Yep. One shock wave after another.
Robert Wilson
bear2be2 said:

Guitarbiscuit said:

bear2be2 said:

Reverend said:

Kentucky is the top wrung of college basketball, despite their recent failures in the tournament. You're crazy if you don't at least think about it. I think he will and decide he has, for him, the best job in the world.

If he decides otherwise, I wish him the best and thank him a thousand times over.
Same. Scott Drew has given us 21 amazing years. I hope we get 20 more. But if we don't, I'll wish him success in Lexington and look forward to seeing what his successor can do with the foundation he's leaving them.

I'll wish him well too, because he didn't just abandon us at the first sign of greener pastures. That said, I'm not as confident about our continued success without him, as the foundation he has been able to build in the last 20 years is not as established as other blueblood programs that can seemingly just plug in a new coach and keep on winning. Hope I'm wrong.
If we hire McCasland, we'll remain a top program in the Big 12. He's been successful literally everywhere he's ever coached, from JUCO to Division II to mid-major to high major. He's an elite basketball coach. Bring him home.

The Rat returns
boognish_bear
CSD might be doubling his salary

Big12Fan2024
I wonder if they basically made the offer to both and the first one who accepts gets it?

Scott will invariably be expected to recruit like Cal (which he will) but then he'll have a team full of freshmen in an era where older teams win and after 3 or 4 years of first or second weekend exits he'll walk away with $44 million after being fired. Not a bad life for the grandkids of his grandkids!
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

Hurley would look kind of silly accepting that job after saying "no way" less than 24 hours ago.
boognish_bear
We may be competing with Jaykus for assistants soon

EvilTroyAndAbed
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

Hurley would look kind of silly accepting that job after saying "no way" less than 24 hours ago.

Kind of like Saban going to Bama? Nobody will care about it 24 hours later.
Mitch Henessey
If we're all assuming CSD is gone, I do worry a bit about his corniness. To us, it's endearing - even if I do wince a little bit at things he says at times - but I don't know how well it will play with the UK fanbase.

If he doesn't win immediately and loses the press conference, I could see things souring there pretty quickly.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Mitch Henessey said:

If we're all assuming CSD is gone, I do worry a bit about his corniness. To us, it's endearing - even if I do wince a little bit at things he says at times - but I don't know how well it will play with the UK fanbase.

If he doesn't win immediately and loses the press conference, I could see things souring there pretty quickly.

I'm not assuming *****
boognish_bear
Mitch Henessey said:

Dabo is kind of corny and has made it work at Clemson...until just recently at least.

If CSD is corny and winning it might be endearing....corny and losing more than what is acceptable at UK...that won't play.
Big12Fan2024
My fear for Scott is that he is such a positive person who he really hasn't face that much scrutiny in terms of expectations at Baylor while he's been here. Our donors and fans are not as vocal as a place like Kentucky. That positivity will endear him to the Kentucky fans initially but the first time he loses to a Texas Southern, the whole state will come down on him and I am curious how he holds up against that kind of pressure. I'm hoping he can allow that stuff to bounce off him but I don't think he's ever experienced anywhere near that level of pressure here.

boognish_bear
Mitch Henessey
boognish_bear said:

This is a load of BS. The #2 and #3 players in the country are going to Rutgers this next year. You can't tell me Waco is a worse college town than fuggin' Piscataway, NJ.
IvanBear
Boosters need to find another $1 million plus a year to add to the NIL fund.
boognish_bear
ImABearToo
Scott's silence is deafening.
DallasBear9902
Is he still in AZ? Probably wants to tell the team in person. Players meeting will be the first indication we get.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Yogi
Now is when I start to get nervous. 24+ hours since the story broke, and Coach Drew has yet to tell KY to pound sand.
IowaBear
In his defense I can't remember him ever publicly coming out with a NO when linked to other jobs.
But this one definitely feels different. Hopefully he stays. But I've fully prepared as if he's leaving so that I won't be let down if that news breaks
IvanBear
IowaBear said:

In his defense I can't remember him ever publicly coming out with a NO when linked to other jobs.
But this one definitely feels different. Hopefully he stays. But I've fully prepared as if he's leaving so that I won't be let down if that news breaks

He just needs to do the Nate oats thing again. Tomorrow morning is fine, but it is confusing of Hurley is actually the one With an offer right now.
IowaBear
UK would be silly not to offer Hurley even if he said no last night.
$$ can change one's mind in a hurry
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
BUCANDOIT82
Big12Fan2024 said:

I started a new thread with this…This guy is an award winning journalist connected to the UK sports program…It's not some competing tweet.
Big12Fan2024
The two guys who break most of the college basketball scoops regarding coaching are Trilly Donovan and Samurai Hoops. Samurai specializes more in mid majors but he is now hinting that Scott Drew is vetting potential staff tonight, which likely means one of the mid major assistants or high major assistants has told Samurai he was contacted.
IowaBear
Pretty ****ty imo if Drew's truly vetting potential staff without addressing BU nation or his team. Not sure I believe that
Big12Fan2024
He could be off but he sure hasn't missed many in the past.
Big12Fan2024
And of course Drew could just as easily be vetting for his open position too, right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.