Drew a candidate for the UK job??

111,488 Views | 997 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by historian
STxBear81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pulling for mark pope
boognish_bear
In Drew's final analysis I don't think this will just be a money thing… but how high do we think Baylor would go trying to match salary?

Drew is currently making 5.5 million. Arkansas is giving Calipari 7 million per year.

There have been reports that Kentucky would offer Hurley $10 to $11 million a year.

I'm not sure what our ceiling is…. But I don't see us getting to 10 million.
boognish_bear
I just looked and Kentucky has a 4.5% flat state income tax… so I guess that's in the equation also.
Johnny Bear
boognish_bear said:

In Drew's final analysis I don't think this will just be a money thing… but how high do we think Baylor would go trying to match salary?

Drew is currently making 5.5 million. Arkansas is giving Calipari 7 million per year.

There have been reports that Kentucky would offer Hurley $10 to $11 million a year.

I'm not sure what our ceiling is…. But I don't see us getting to 10 million.

A legit historic bball blueblood like UK will most likely always be in a position to outbid a school like BU for a HC. On the money side I'm assuming the question is can BU at least get close enough to make the other factors in BU's favor (i.e. he's got a job for the rest of his career as long as he doesn't do something stupid or allow the program to totally collapse, he has free reign to continue with his "culture of JOY" and is even encouraged to do so, per reports he & his family like Waco, etc,) when considered altogether make him decide to stay.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Just my opinion… but this is starting to feel a little inevitable to me now

BluesBear
IowaBear said:

So you're throwing **** at a wall and hoping it sticks. Glad we got that cleared up
Listen cornboy...I lived and work in Kentucky for almost a decade. I have connections on both the UK and Louisville side and have personally had dinner with Cal and Pit during that time. If I say Drew was offered - he was offered as my sources would have knowledge of that. F off...
PartyBear
Speaking of the support he would have at UK and the seat there perpetually at least luke warm from the get go, compared to his support here, I would just add there is no need for Baylor people to be worshipping the UK HC and defending him as the HC there should he leave. I'm not saying he needs to be hated or anything. But the personality cult thing that is fairly prevalent here and too much for my taste but is sometimes understandable for a sitting HC here with a record like Drew's here, should end if and when he terminates the contract for another program.
MattyIce
How awesome will it be when CSD turns down the offer to stay at Baylor
IowaBear
You didn't say he was offered… you said he's going to accept tomm. I could give a **** where you live. Congrats on hanging with Cal
IowaBear
Yeah he's gone imo. There's very clear smoke here. And his silence which is normally ignore has become very telling.
parch
boognish_bear said:

Just my opinion… but this is starting to feel a little inevitable now

He could well also do what Cal did and go back to Baylor and say, "This is what they're offering, what can you do."

I wouldn't ding Mack (at all) for Drew just straight up choosing UK. You only get one career, and he's won all he can here. Where Mack will get roasted is if Drew comes back, asks for more (NIL, salary, support, whatever) and Mack bungles the exchange.

That will mean he lost two national-title winning CBB coaches by essentially answering pleas with crickets. At that point he's hard for anyone to defend.
PartyBear
Some guy named Chris Beasmore the news producer for ABC36 News and writer for Kentucky insider. Tweeted 30 minutes ago that Drew is on a flight to Lexington now. ABC 36 is the Lexington ABC affiliate.
cbcbear
BluesBear said:

IowaBear said:

So you're throwing **** at a wall and hoping it sticks. Glad we got that cleared up
Listen cornboy...I lived and work in Kentucky for almost a decade. I have connections on both the UK and Louisville side and have personally had dinner with Cal and Pit during that time. If I say Drew was offered - he was offered as my sources would have knowledge of that. F off...

Chill. No reason for name calling or implied profanity. Congrats on your street cred but still….
CBC '95
GoodOleBaylorLine
boognish_bear said:

Just my opinion… but this is starting to feel a little inevitable to me now

Agree.

Hopefully, Mac is getting a list together.
MrFrooz
Interview != done deal, but he's due to land in Lexington today. We'll see but looks like the coveted "insiders" on here once again peddled uninformed hopeium.

There was always a very strong possibility that he would take the job.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

Some guy named Chris Beasmore the news producer for ABC36 News and writer for Kentucky insider. Tweeted 30 minutes ago that Drew is on a flight to Lexington now. ABC 36 is the Lexington ABC affiliate.
He's very likely gone, guys. Start coming to grips with it now. Time to look at replacement candidates.

I'd love to be eating crow over this post in a day or two. But I've had a bad feeling about this one from the start.
boognish_bear
PartyBear said:

Speaking of the support he would have at UK and the seat there perpetually at least luke warm from the get go, compared to his support here, I would just add there is no need for Baylor people to be worshipping the UK HC and defending him as the HC there should he leave. I'm not saying he needs to be hated or anything. But the personality cult thing that is fairly prevalent here and too much for my taste but is sometimes understandable for a sitting HC here with a record like Drew's here, should end if and when he terminates the contract for another program.

Still holding out hope it does not happen… but if it does....we've never lost a coach like this before. Given the length of his tenure, the absolute dumpster fire he took over, the success he has had, and just the way he has carried himself and represented our school he will always have my respect and gratitude.

I've got no love for Kentucky…but if he goes I would like to see him do well there.
cowboycwr
TomW said:

Of course I understand Mulkey's success. Having said that, Mulkey was not someone I would consider a career lifetime coach. Based only on success, ok, but Teaff she has never been nor will ever be. Just my take. Hated to see her go, but she could have stayed and Baylor will not be bowed her. I don't know that it was coming, but sure seems like it was. Just by two cents.
You are right. She was not Teaff. She was better.
parch
cbcbear said:

BluesBear said:

IowaBear said:

Chill. No reason for name calling or implied profanity. Congrats on your street cred but still….
Well that was fast.

bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

PartyBear said:

Still holding out hope it does not happen… but if it does....we've never lost a coach like this before. Given the length of his tenure, the absolute dumpster fire he took over, the success he has had, and just the way he has carried himself and represented our school he will always have my respect and gratitude.

I've got no love for Kentucky…but if he goes I would like to see him do well there.
Yep. I'll be a Scott Drew fan forever. He was a godsend for Baylor University and stuck with us through a lot. I've got nothing but respect for the man and the way he's conducted himself the last 21 years.
BUbackerinET
"he's won all he can here." Sorry - calling bull**** on this one. There is ABSOLUTELY ZERO evidence to support that statement.
bear2be2
cowboycwr said:

TomW said:

Of course I understand Mulkey's success. Having said that, Mulkey was not someone I would consider a career lifetime coach. Based only on success, ok, but Teaff she has never been nor will ever be. Just my take. Hated to see her go, but she could have stayed and Baylor will not be bowed her. I don't know that it was coming, but sure seems like it was. Just by two cents.
She was more successful coach. She was a much worse human being and representative of Baylor University. Give me Grant Teaff any day.
bear2be2
BUbackerinET said:

"he's won all he can here." Sorry - calling bull**** on this one. There is ABSOLUTELY ZERO evidence to support that statement.
Do they hand out world championships in college basketball now? There's literally almost nothing he could win at Baylor that he hasn't already won.
parch
BUbackerinET said:

You're reading that wrong. He's won every trophy he can win (aside from the B12 tourney, which is whatever) at Baylor. He has nothing else to prove, and any further accomplishments would be multiplying trophies, not adding new ones. Everyone is lured by the latter proposition once you master the former.
IowaBear
While this is true he better rack up conference and Nattys fast in Lexington. 24-11 2nd exits are going to get him fired at UK in a hurry.
IvanBear
cowboycwr said:

TomW said:

Same with Drew.
DR0941
Not looking good he's probably on his way out. Mack better be throwing a blank check at Tang if CSD is 100% out this week
IvanBear
parch said:

BUbackerinET said:

You're reading that wrong. He's won every trophy he can win (aside from the B12 tourney, which is whatever) at Baylor. He has nothing else to prove, and any further accomplishments would be multiplying trophies, not adding new ones. Everyone is lured by the latter proposition once you master the former.
Are all just ignoring what the media keeps saying. Drew likes the Kentucky athletic director more than he likes his current one...
PartyBear
I agree. Baylor's record under Drew isnt good enough for UK. If he has 4 years that are any less than our 4 years span that ended with the 21 season, he will not likely get a year 5.
cowboycwr
Bleed Green said:

Jordan said:

This isn't an institution of football (or basketball). Baylor we are and Baylor we will always be. Banners fly forever, enjoy '21, we got lucky af to have CSD and CAB for the time we had them and accept the reality we don't have the stones to be a major player. It is what it is.
We don't have the lineup to play with the really big boys. We have big HR hitters but don't have enough of the doubles and triples people to play in the upper echelon. We will never be a Goliath. And anyone who thinks David's shot wasn't an anomaly (or guided by God in my case) or would be a regular result is silly. Our NIL will not compete with almost any major state school. To blame Mack for that is coping. It is imperative that our coaches know how to maximize NIL. I give Aranda one more year to figure that out, because I know that he is incredibly respected for his X & O's knowledge in HS and college circles. I absolutely loved the CAB days but looking back can understand what they were. We should have been given the chance but we would not have beaten Alabama in any playoff. Lots of his kids got drafted and almost none of them stayed in the league more than a couple of years. He was a an awesome football magician, who probably would have left for a big time program if not for the scandal. Mulkey... i probably know more than I should but I loved her strictly because she won. Nothing else about her was desirable as a representation of Baylor and I cannot imagine what she would have been like with NIL in place. I don't have sources in the program anymore, but I can almost guarantee the basketball office is a better place to work without her there. She is the bad side of Bobby Knight without the witty humor.
I don't care how a coaches players perform in the NFL. I care about wins at Baylor. I have always and will always hate that argument when talking about coaches.

No one says that about Saban and his lack of QBs or running backs lasting in the NFL for much of his time at Bama.

Also, no one at Bama cared that they did not win Heisman trophies because they were winning National Championships (they only won their first Heisman two years before Baylor got one)
blackie
Why do we think Scott Drew is the only coach that can be successful at Baylor? There is no reason whatsoever to believe that.
IowaBear
This! I'll always be thankful for Drew. But I could give a **** what he does at UK if he takes that job. I won't pay one bit of attention to UK unless their highlights are on SportsCenter or something.
boognish_bear
IvanBear said:

parch said:

BUbackerinET said:

Are all just ignoring what the media keeps saying. Drew likes the Kentucky athletic director more than he likes his current one...

Where are you seeing that? I've seen that there's a prior connection.... but I have not seen any media saying he favors the UK AD over Mack.
parch
blackie said:

Why do we think Scott Drew is the only coach that can be successful at Baylor? There is no reason whatsoever to believe that.
There are a lot of reasons to be bullish on the program post-Drew, especially if we bring back a guy like Tang that understands the culture and the program. CSD was/is a great coach, but let's not act like 1 Final Four in 20+ years (albeit in the natty year) is the ceiling for this program.

That said, it's fine to mourn Drew's departure. The guy basically is Baylor men's basketball.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.