Drew a candidate for the UK job??

115,707 Views | 1003 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by wongobear
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Guitarbiscuit said:

Stefano DiMera said:

If we lose Drew...Mack ain't got nothing to do with it..it's because we have a fan base of about 12 people..I could do a poll on this thread and I betcha everyone in here *****ing about Mack doesn't donate a dime to the program...or show up at an occasional road game..or tournament game..

I didn't post this when it happened but I went to the TCU game.in Ft Worth..I haven't missed a game.in the Metroplex in years..it was the smallest BU turnout I'd ever seen there.

Scott made a comment on post game show thanking the Baylor fans 'that chose to show up'. .it wasn't so much the words but the tone in which he said it..came across as snarky at most..frustrated at the least..

There's something intoxicating about whatever arena you step foot in.. especially neutral sites in the tournament where you have the advantage like Kentucky does.

Cause we travel like ass .

Baylor fans travel badly, true. But it's still Mack's job to do what he can to keep Drew. If he fails to keep Drew, I'm going to blame Mack, just like I blamed him for retaining Aranda. Whether this is short sighted or not, I really don't care. I'm tired of losing coaches, and Mack needs to step up because he is our AD at this time. And it's his job to attempt to overcome our negatives (ie crappy fanbase).
If/when Baylor loses a men's basketball coach to Kentucky, it's not the AD's fault. Come on, guys. Be serious.

I'm not even a huge Mack Rhoades fan. But Kentucky is a destination job for 99 percent of college men's basketball coaches.
IowaBear
Well one would expect to see more than 10 fans considering BU is a top 15 program nationally
EvilTroyAndAbed
PartyBear said:

Nate Owens and Jay Wright have both reportedly said no.

Who is Nate Owens?
IvanBear
bear2be2 said:

IowaBear said:

I haven't really thought anything if it until the Michigan St game. I know the KU games as well ISU are never gonna be well attended for BU alum as I doubt there's many BU slum in the MW. But I was truly shocked by how few BU fans were at the Auburn, Mich St games.
Why would you be shocked by that? Those games were in South Dakota and Detroit.

Not too mention that South Dakota game is in a tiny arena in the middle of the week. That was not an easy ticket.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

Well one would expect to see more than 10 fans considering BU is a top 15 program nationally
In Sioux Falls, S.D., and Detroit for largely meaningless nonconference basketball games? I'm not surprised at all that our contingent was primarily parents and family.

When every game is on TV and such trips cost a fortune, that's what you're going to get. In-person attendance is down across the sports landscape in general, and our fans have never been big travelers.
Stefano DiMera
Yes it's Mack...

Can I count on your $50 Bear Foundation donation?

Can I count on you attending a couple home games?

Can I count on you supporting one of the men's basketball excellence funds (i.e. pledging $1 for every 3 pointer made during season)

Or can I count on you being a welfare fan and reaping all the benefits of what Drew has built and then *****ing and moaning?
IowaBear
Meaningless basketball games? Yikes sure didn't feel meaningless to our coaches or players watching it live. But what do I know. Maybe they saw them as "meaningless" too.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

Meaningless basketball games? Yikes sure didn't feel meaningless to our coaches or players watching it live. But what do I know. Maybe they saw them as "meaningless" too.
They're not meaningless for NCAA tournament resumes -- I watch every single one of them and hang on every shot -- but look at the TV ratings for nonconference basketball games. If people don't care enough to watch those games on TV, why would you expect large in-person crowds?

And the fact of the matter is there are no real stakes to those games. They help if you win, but they don't mean much if you lose. Only diehard college basketball fans are watching or really care about the games played before Christmas.
Stefano DiMera
Exactly..it's the Matt Rhule situation..we weren't gonna keep him from the NFL so I don't understand the Mack criticism there.

Now if you wanna criticize Mack for hiring a guy who you know has NFL aspirations..that's another thing.. but the fact that he turned program around proves it wasn't a good hire..it was a great hire.

Tell me who else we were gonna hire if Mack was turned off by Rhules aspirations..Dan Hawkins?..Chad Morris?...Jesus ...
IowaBear
You're putting words into my mouth trying to validate your argument. I NEVER said I expected a large BU crowd. I said I was surprised how few BU fans were at both. And by few I mean like 10 (that I saw) obviously I'm sure there were more.
IvanBear
Stefano DiMera said:

Yes it's Mack...

Can I count on your $50 Bear Foundation donation?

Can I count on you attending a couple home games?

Can I count on you supporting one of the men's basketball excellence funds (i.e. pledging $1 for every 3 pointer made during season)

Or can I count on you being a welfare fan and reaping all the benefits of what Drew has built and then *****ing and moaning?
I assume you think paying for the premium side to have smoke blown up your backside makes you deeply informed and special.

I'm pretty critical of our fans or really lack there of but man you're on a special level.
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

You're putting words into my mouth trying to validate your argument. I NEVER said I expected a large BU crowd. I said I was surprised how few BU fans were at both. And by few I mean like 10 (that I saw) obviously I'm sure there were more.
You said you were shocked, and I just find that odd. It's not a big deal. Let's move on.
Stefano DiMera
I joined for the $1 for a year special they had a few months ago.

So you judged the content of my post because I had a P next to my name ..hmmm.. hopefully that's not a real life personality trait..

But..back to my questions..got your support?
mavsfan41
the one road/netural-site game where I felt like we had lot of Baylor fans was the Duke game @ MSG. It's just Duke had so many more (Durham-North)
boognish_bear
Fre3dombear
Stefano DiMera said:

But what does that have to do with Drew..or his players?

Or for that matter.. what does that have to do with Aranda and his program?

There's a saying ' F around and Find out'. Keep having that attitude and we will be in the Mountain West/WCC Desert Conference sooner than later.

They burned the athletics programs to the ground for nothing as we've all seen now in an unprecedented fashion for baylor kicking ass for way too long and that freed up a lot of my time and $

We'd have to ask them why. Action reaction type stuff

This is how we end up with what appears at this point a dei hire in Dave who is unhirable on his merit as a head coach basically anywhere at the P5 level. We can ask why Mack and Linda are doing this but nobody knows. We can only speculate $ or whatever or part of a self imposed soft death penalty which is what it appears which is why so many people say they fed up with the woke stuff but it's part of the overall results our leadership is achieving. So they pivot to wholly immeasurable KPIs like person over player, statues, etc etc.

I'll also add the fact they won't do a blackout as I guess they think that's having too much edge or whatever their insane reason is, is just another example For a small football program that's about to succum to the waters above and desperately needs to at least try to have fun, exciting atmospheres in the stands when their product on the field is so horrid. They'll likely be will be rebuilding soon without Dave or Mack. Linda probably here as long as she wants to be.
IvanBear
Stefano DiMera said:

I joined for the $1 for a year special they had a few months ago.

So you judged the content of my post because I had a P next to my name ..hmmm.. hopefully that's not a real life personality trait..

But..back to my questions..got your support?
Baylor only gets my money via basketball, I killed all donations to the school after what they did to Art.

But I do think it's important to support one of the few men left there with integrity, soo I do make sure mens baksetball gets some of my money.

Also sir, buying a single game basketball ticket does nothing revenue for Baylor, with our reduced number of seats you have to have a season ticket to get a seat so the secondary market is the only way which is just lining the pocket of someone who already paid Baylor for their seat. So maybe think on program economics a bit.

I'd love to go to the KC tournament some day, but Soctt continues to make it clear he has no interest in winning or trying to compete in that tournament seriously.
boognish_bear
Porteroso
Mitch Henessey said:

Porteroso said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Porteroso said:

The guy has been here decades, and this is going to be his best opportunity to make an upwards move.

Honestly if he is still motivated to change and improve as a coach, he should take it. If he is comfortable resting and coasting on what he singlehandedly built
What even is this take?

Would you similarly say that John Wooden was coasting after 1964? Was Mike Krzyzewski coasting after 1991? How does staying at a place you literally built up from nothing mean you're not interested in improving? What a wild post.

I'm sorry but Baylor is not like those you posted. To compare Wooden or Krzyzewski to Drew is wild, and comparing Baylor to UCLA or Duke is wild.

Drew will never again have the situation he had for the natty. It was once in a lifetime to have covid encourage upperclassmen to band together to stay and see what they were capable of. It will not happen again.

What I'm not saying is that Drew won't do his best at Baylor. Obviously he will. But Kentucky would simply be a more demanding job, and he would be forced to improve his coaching, make some changes, that are difficult to know how to improve or change, in an entrenched position.
You might want to took a look at how many national championships UCLA and Duke had won prior to Wooden and Krzyzewski, homie. UCLA and Duke are UCLA and Duke BECAUSE of those two coaches. They single-handedly turned those schools into bluebloods.

Furthermore, if you think Drew hasn't grown or changed anything over his tenure at Baylor, you might want to get some measurements for a pair of clown shoes.

He's home from strictly man defense to fully zone, back to fully M2M, and now mixes them, when needed. He's changed his recruiting and transfer strategy 3-4x over his tenure. He's changed from an athletic, "drive to score" offensive philosophy, to a perimeter-oriented, "drive-to-dish" system.

I wonder how much Baylor basketball you've watched over Drew's tenure if you think he isn't open to changes.

You just don't get it, and won't no matter what I say. You cannot replicate top environments. Drew has an opportunity to move up, and he would be challenged in many ways. He would have to change and improve. He might want that challenge, and he might not. I don't know. But it would certainly be a move I'd respect.

A lot of you are stuck on the job being no better than the Baylor job, like it's just more stress and less fun. That is just not all there is to it. Reaching for the top in a field is its own reward.
IowaBear
Kentucky job is head and shoulders a better gig than Bu. No sane person would dispute that.
But with that comes a certain expectation. The expectations at BU are much much lower than UK.
The pressure cooker to win at UK and go deep every year in the dance is enormous. Not to mention Drew can just about kiss is Joy culture goodbye that simply won't fly at UK.
I personally would be shocked if he turned it down if offered. Would also be shocked if he lasted 5 years there.
PartyBear
Of the major candidates discussed in the media, Drew is the only one who has not publicly said no. There may be a couple of more. But the UConn, Bama, and Villanova guy have all publicly said they are not going to Kentucky.
BluesBear
BearlyNose said:

Have you been to the University of Kentucky? It's a campus two blocks from downtown Lexington. Rupp Arena is not even on campus, though close. The players practice in an arena on campus, but play their games in the downtwon arena. Lexington may be a pretty town, but it's also dying town…. their largest employer other than UK is Smuckers. Yes, there has been revitalization downtown, but it's still an OLD, OLD town with little of the growth than one sees in this part of the country. It's a state university, in a dying part of the country. The myth that was Kentucky, like the myth that is Louisville, is holding on to its past and hoping that no one notices the world, and most of college athletics, have passed them by.
Lexington blows Waco away all day every day.....Try driving around the area and see all the horse ranches, whiskey mills, etc.
Johnny Bear
PartyBear said:

Of the major candidates discussed in the media, Drew is the only one who has not publicly said no. There may be a couple of more. But the UConn, Bama, and Villanova guy have all publicly said they are not going to Kentucky.

To this point has anyone asked him for a comment?

Obviously like the rest of you I don't know, but there could be things going on behind the scenes like negotiations RE: what it's going to take to keep him at BU. A straight up decline would of course be optimum, but presently I prefer the silence to some coach speak non-denial denial like Rhule issued just before he hit the door.
IowaBear
Does he ever though? He never once denied anything publicly about Louisville. And I can't remember a time he's ever publicly said no when linked to other jobs as a candidate
STxBear81
i dont believe Drew leaves. maybe thinks about it or has been if there is a chance he could make 8-10 M a year, but i dont think he takes it. I believe Oats hasnt accepted it yet because it isnt officially an open position.
boognish_bear
STxBear81 said:

Oats hasnt accepted it yet because it isnt officially an open position.

If he does take it he is going to look like a fool trying to walk this back

EvilTroyAndAbed
PartyBear said:

Has Donovan said anything? If they really think he could be a candidate, it's going to be a couple of weeks before his season is over in Chicago. Which means this could linger.

I just can't wrap my head around UK making Drew their top choice. Because he and Barnhardt are friendly? Pretty sure in that instance, you've got major donors who will "help" Barnhardt make a decision.

And I am one of the Drew defenders, I know whatever he's trying with recruiting and team building, he's doing it because he wants to win conference championships and advance in the tournament. And I know that a bad game in the tournament doesn't define a team.

BUT ... if you are Kentucky, while you are obviously impressed with the national championship, you also need to look at the years surrounding it. 5 years (COVID year missing) where Baylor's NCAA tournament record was 4-4 with a year in the NIT. That's not going to cut it at UK. I don't think he's a good fit. He has always used basketball as means and not an end. In some ways Cal has been the same way. While he cares about the team winning, he has made no bones that his main priority was getting as many of his players ready for the NBA as possible. When he did his job well, the winning was a byproduct.
boognish_bear
Porteroso
IowaBear said:

Kentucky job is head and shoulders a better gig than Bu. No sane person would dispute that.
But with that comes a certain expectation. The expectations at BU are much much lower than UK.
The pressure cooker to win at UK and go deep every year in the dance is enormous. Not to mention Drew can just about kiss is Joy culture goodbye that simply won't fly at UK.
I personally would be shocked if he turned it down if offered. Would also be shocked if he lasted 5 years there.

How do you know he can't install his own culture at UK? The admin very well might welcome it after years of Calipari. And he might welcome the heightened expectations. It is not the negative many are making it out to be.
IowaBear
The admin may welcome it… that fanbase won't. Especially the moment they start losing. Drew's title run was amazing. But let's face it. He's **** the bed I. Snatch for the better part of a decade aside from that run.
That's not going to fly in Lexington. They expect conference titles and deep runs every year
DFW Bill
Per Baylor's 2022 IRS Form 990, the latest I could find. Scott Drew's total compensation was approximately $5,143,000. and our beloved Athletic Director was approximately $2,600,000.
boognish_bear
IvanBear
The longer this goes on without Drew shutting this down the more concerned I become. Clearly he's not fully locked in here.

It's recruiting season, you have to shut down the talk ASAP with how the portal works..
boognish_bear
IowaBear
Kinda leaning this way too. People are turning down the job left and right. Not Scott at least publicly

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.