Drew a candidate for the UK job??

111,470 Views | 997 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by historian
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
contrario said:

BearlyBeloved said:

I found a website saying Lexington has 116 Mexican restaurants.

No doubt UK fans will use that number in their effort to entice CSD.

But are any of them TexMex?
Lexington has a Chuy's.
BearlyBeloved
Shall we start a chant for CSD?

S - E - Si?

S - E - No!
EvilTroyAndAbed
boognish_bear said:

Another coach speak answer.
Quinton
boognish_bear said:

What is up with the point about his wife being introverted??

You are a governor like figure as Uk head basketball coach. Not an exaggeration. Drew, even being outgoing, will have big issues if he doesn't have massive success. The all positive thing would get eaten alive by that fan base. Calipari had edge and swagger to keep them at bay even after a few disappointing years. That wouldn't be the case with Drew.

Now imagine you didn't even like the attention in the first place. It would be a nightmare. Constant calls to your home, folks outside the house, barrage of negative feedback in public, constant media and articles. Your family's life would be miserable.

Bu fans are so tame and mild mannered. The chaos that would result from any results that weren't excellent would be insane. Scrutiny would be turned up to 11.

It ultimately would probably be the primary reason if he stays.
parch
bear2be2 said:

DR0941 said:

LOL
This is the most interesting development of the day IMO. I've been on the "he's gone" side of the fence, but this gives me pause. It would be pretty tone deaf to tweet this out when you know Baylor fans are on pins and needles over this decision. I don't think Scott Drew would intentionally do that to people who have supported him for two decades.
I agree with you. It would actually be pretty insane (demented?) to tweet this out in the midst of the largest manhunt for his whereabouts in his career, fully recognizing the elephant in the room, all while wearing a BU top in Waco at lunch with one of BU athletics' biggest supporters.

It doesn't mean he's not going to Kentucky, but if he does go after this, that's kind of f'ed up.
historian
As far as I'm concerned, this shuts down the rumors.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2024/04/10/scott-drew-shares-social-media-post-to-debunk-kentucky-flight-rumors/
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
bear2be2
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

boognish_bear said:

I didn't take it that way. Dan Hurley seems very honest and forthcoming. I think he appreciates his journey to this point and the backing he's gotten at UConn.

I also think he's a competitor above all else and values championships over prestige.

Fit and culture seem extremely important to him, particularly as vehicles for building championship teams.
boognish_bear
I'm not sure if giving Drew the Single White Female treatment is the best way to entice him to Lexington

bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

I'm not sure if giving Drew the Single White Female treatment is the best way to entice him to Lexington

Just forward this to Mrs. Drew. There's no way she wants to put up with this *****

Kentucky fans are insane.
Johnny Bear
parch said:

bear2be2 said:

DR0941 said:

LOL
This is the most interesting development of the day IMO. I've been on the "he's gone" side of the fence, but this gives me pause. It would be pretty tone deaf to tweet this out when you know Baylor fans are on pins and needles over this decision. I don't think Scott Drew would intentionally do that to people who have supported him for two decades.
I agree with you. It would actually be pretty insane (demented?) to tweet this out in the midst of the largest manhunt for his whereabouts in his career, fully recognizing the elephant in the room, all while wearing a BU top in Waco at lunch with one of BU athletics' biggest supporters.

It doesn't mean he's not going to Kentucky, but if he does go after this, that's kind of f'ed up.

While stranger things have happened in these situations (remember the story about Tubberville ditching recruits at a Lubbock restaurant when he was at TTech as he accepted the HC job at Cincinnati) it would be completely out of character for Drew to post that kind of a tweet only to turn around and bolt for KU shortly thereafter - to say the least.
bear2be2
parch said:

bear2be2 said:

DR0941 said:

LOL

I read the last phrase of your first paragraph as "BU's biggest athletic supporters" the first time. It made me giggle. Apparently, I'm 12 on the inside.
EvilTroyAndAbed
bear2be2 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

boognish_bear said:

I didn't take it that way. Dan Hurley seems very honest and forthcoming. I think he appreciates his journey to this point and the backing he's gotten at UConn.

I also think he's a competitor above all else and values championships over prestige.

Fit and culture seem extremely important to him, particularly as vehicles for building championship teams.

But he wasn't direct. You shut everything down with "I'm not going to Kentucky" But he didn't.

I don't think he's going. But it's an interesting sentence to say "I've turned down offers before." Who cares about that?
bear2be2
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bear2be2 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

boognish_bear said:

But he wasn't direct. You shut everything down with "I'm not going to Kentucky" But he didn't.

I don't think he's going. But it's an interesting sentence to say "I've turned down offers before." Who cares about that?
He said "no way" when asked directly about it. You can't be much more direct than that.

Most coaches don't feel the need to repeat themselves to appease insecure fans.

Unless or until he takes the Kentucky job, he's already said where he stands on the issue and has given fans no reason to doubt his sincerity.
EvilTroyAndAbed
I doubt nearly every coach's sincerity.
Quinton
This is exactly what I was talking about. No clue if this really happened but would not put it past them.

Funny bc as you said this is exactly the reason he would not go. Think Drew likes the idea of it on his own but that kind of thing is 100% a massive negative when family considerations come into play. Imagine the insanity after a disappointing season
cowboycwr
historian said:

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2024/04/10/scott-drew-shares-social-media-post-to-debunk-kentucky-flight-rumors/
When I read that article the one thing I noticed was the flight tracker.... It looked like it was from Dallas to Lexington and the Waco to Dallas was drawn in and not actually part of the flight...
boognish_bear
This is some craziness....but glad It scored a local restaurant some 5 star reviews.

historian
Bonus:

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2024/04/10/chip-gaines-is-now-trolling-kentucky-basketball-fans-over-scott-drew-rumors/
2Bears
I wonder if they believe rabid fan craziness appeals to Drew. If you are already making $5 million and have all the freedom you want, is $10- $11 million with the spotlight always on you worth it? I hope we find out soon!
historian
cowboycwr said:

historian said:

When I read that article the one thing I noticed was the flight tracker.... It looked like it was from Dallas to Lexington and the Waco to Dallas was drawn in and not actually part of the flight...

I saw that too. It's another troll job.

I really understand sports trolls who apparently have nothing better to do. Quite pathetic.
historian
I suspect Drew has all the spotlight he wants. Some people crave attention others will go what the job requires, including regulate press conferences.
jdrs
If I wasn't on pins and needles this thread would be extremely entertaining. Deciphering if a picture is current based on the temperature and what men are wearing and an episode of Family Feud in the background. These are things I can't believe I'm reading about. High level super sleuthing. I actually feel better seeing him post the picture from his lunch. Gives me a bit of hope. And hope he lets us all know soon. I'm getting no work done and keep checking the internet.
Bear8084
People doing OSINT on a pic of CSD at lunch is the most 2024 thing I've seen so far.
Jayballer
Just dropping in life time KU fan an just thinking without having ay iron in the fire--- - - -Guys, I think your going to be just fine.

Knowing Drew which I do not - - , not a clue , never spoke to the man BUT I just DO NOT think your are going to lose Scott. Sure big time Money , but you also have to be happy at what you do. Would Drew really be that happy after the honeymoon wore off? - - -From what I have seen just the way he carries himself , class act-- -Glad to have him not only representing Baylor but the Big 12. I read he has this itch to coach Kentucky- -I don't think the Itch is big enough.

Look what he has accomplished at your University , I mean the guy could have anything he wants, who knows maybe he already has .Does Kentucky really believe Baylor will go down without a fight ? I as an outsider don't think so.

Then you have the wife-- - - you have heard the phrase - -Happy Wife - - Happy Life , plus kids thee in School Scott has put in 22 years in Waco--- - -why would you give that up ?- - Top notch class coming in again - - Baylor can match Kentucky in Natty's here at the present -I just don't see it guys - -relax, take a deep breath - -your Bears are going to be fine. At the end of the day when it's all said and done I truly believe Scott stays put. I'm looking forward to more Baylor led by Scott against my Guys and Coach Bill.

I think Kentucky is in a big pile of warm Dog - -D - - you know not only is Scott staying put but they think their fan base thinks they deserve to get Billy Donovan- -he also IS NOT coming to Kentucky , breaks my heart lol

Again now just a Jay Hawk throwing my thoughts out but again I think your Coach is going no where when it's all ove- -Drew saying Thanks - - -BUT no thanks
PartyBear
Is this the real Chip Gaines on Twitter or someone making him look like an idiotic ass? He is being an embarrassment if it is him and I bet hurting his brand.
DP4LIFE
PartyBear said:

Is this the real Chip Gaines on Twitter or someone making him look like an idiotic ass? He is being an embarrassment if it is him and I bet hurting his brand.
You don't laugh much, do you?
boognish_bear
So much misinformation out there…but FWIW.... from a UK beat writer about an hour ago

PartyBear
Can you show us an example of something he tweeted you thought was funny? I mean I dont follow the guy and I have not seen everything he has said today.
DP4LIFE
PartyBear said:

Can you show us an example of something he tweeted you thought was funny? I mean I dont follow the guy and I have not seen everything he has said today.
Every one of his tweets was funny if you don't take the current fan obsessed drama/lies/speculation of a coaching search too seriously.
Iron Claw
Don't Kentucky people know Drew can't coach? This whole situation is really strange.
IvanBear
boognish_bear said:

So much misinformation out there…but FWIW.... from a UK beat writer about an hour ago

This guy is just tweeting random garbage at this point.
boognish_bear
I know NIL has come up in this thread as something that might tempt CSD to go to UK.

According to the article here the average NIL "payroll" for P5 bball teams is $750,000.

DP4LIFE
Iron Claw said:

Don't Kentucky people know Drew can't coach? This whole situation is really strange.
If it gives Drew some leverage to demand more NIL money from the deep pocketed BU boosters, it's all good.
If Drew decides he wants the challenge of the UK job for himself and his family, thank him, wish him well and go try to find the next Coach Drew.
PartyBear
DP4LIFE said:

PartyBear said:

Every one of his tweets was funny if you don't take the current fan obsessed drama/lies/speculation of a coaching search too seriously.
Ok......I dont take the current fan obsessed stuff too seriously on Twitter or here and again I'm not looking at everything he is saying. I'm not into that either but what I have seen is kind of cringy with with a little I dont know perhaps narcissism mixed in with it?
historian
IvanBear said:

boognish_bear said:

This guy is just tweeting random garbage at this point.

That's what I would expect from anybody with any ties to Kentucky.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.