Roku?

2,290 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Porteroso
Gobearsone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good, bad, benefits, problems?
BaylorGuy314
Use it on every TV I have. Can't imagine watching TV any other way now
RegentCoverup
I like my Nvidia Shield,
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
TechDawgMc
Much prefer the Amazon Fire Stick. I can't seem to get the Roku to work cleanly. Just took a TV to work. The Roku wouldn't connect to the local wireless. No problem with the Fire Stick. Find the FS interface better as well

My new smart tv at home doesn't need any of them. It gets the apps without needing any other connection -- and then you can use the one tv remote to work everything.

Granted, I have a really cheap version of Roku, but just hasn't been up to the quality of the competition.
73s de N4WJP
Big Roku fan here. I just find the whole system, whether it's their website, phone app, or ability to work with third party remotes very easy to utilize. Three TVs in my house, all Rokued up.
Liteitup
Recent convert to Roku, very pleased. Cable bill dropped from $215 to about $85, even with a bump in speed from 300 to 600. I also added a $30 Sling bill but I'm still approximately $100 ahead each month. I bought a small flat OTA antenna for each TV that give me 30 plus local channels. I did have a little difficulty getting KCEN (6) to come in, placement was more critical than I expected it to be.
BaylorOkie
TechDawgMc said:

My new smart tv at home doesn't need any of them. It gets the apps without needing any other connection -- and then you can use the one tv remote to work everything.
Bingo.
REvansBU71
I use only Firesticks at home, but we're visiting my father-in-law in Myrtle, MS right now. He only has a Roku (plus directv). He has the slowest wifi I've ever seen (5-7 mb/sec) and the Roku works great!

Any "smart" tv I've ever used had a really dumb and slow processor. Maybe they're better now, though.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
TechDawgMc
REvansBU71 said:

I use only Firesticks at home, but we're visiting my father-in-law in Myrtle, MS right now. He only has a Roku (plus directv). He has the slowest wifi I've ever seen (5-7 mb/sec) and the Roku works great!

Any "smart" tv I've ever used had a really dumb and slow processor. Maybe they're better now, though.
The one I just got was a Samsung. It is much better than the other two I have (one of the others is a Vizio, can't remember what the upstairs one is). The Samsung handles Apps better, moves between them better and uses the remote to do stuff within the app better. I've really been happy with it.
BaylorHistory
TechDawgMc said:

Much prefer the Amazon Fire Stick. I can't seem to get the Roku to work cleanly. Just took a TV to work. The Roku wouldn't connect to the local wireless. No problem with the Fire Stick. Find the FS interface better as well

Granted, I have a really cheap version of Roku, but just hasn't been up to the quality of the competition.
Hah, I'm the opposite. I find Firesticks to be pretty clunky when using a few apps like Plex. I'm 100% in on higher end Rokus at this point on all of my tvs.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Pecos 45
We have a Roku, and a Fire Stick.
Like both.
Have dropped Dish network now and going totally antennae and streaming.
Saving me over $119 a month!!!
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
VaeBear
I have no issues with Roku. I use it mainly to connect to Hulu.
hodedofome
I only buy high end tech stuff, don't feel like wasting my life on slow processors in fire sticks, Roku sticks, etc.

I have a Roku Ultra on my LG OLED and it's great. I also have a few of the new Chromecast with Google TV's and they are by far the best thing you can get for $50. Google search capability is far superior to any other competitor so using voice search is easy. The remote on the Chromecast is fantastic, best I've ever used. So simple, but not too simple like an Apple TV.

My LG has built in apps, but doesn't have all the apps like ESPN. The interface is also not nearly as good as Roku or Google.
Media Bear
Sometimes one of my Roku sticks (I have 3) tries to overheat, but not a huge problem ...
REvansBU71
Pecos 45 said:

We have a Roku, and a Fire Stick.
Like both.
Have dropped Dish network now and going totally antennae and streaming.
Saving me over $119 a month!!!

There ya go, 45! Harbinger of the future!
Next thing for me will be Starlink wifi. Check it out on YouTube.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
william
I bought a share today.

One.

Seems to have pulled back enough.

- BUmma

go ROKU go!

D!
Dale?
Aliceinbubbleland
We have a Roku TCL 50" which is perfect to use with Xfinity. I don't subscribe to Roku. I'm tempted to go with You Tube because I have an 8nyear old Panasonic but not a smart TV so no WiFi

I see many more sports channels on you tube then xfinity. I pay about $240 for hi speed Internet, phone, camera and tv.

I'd have to give up phone and camera if I go YouTube. WiFi fee would probably go up too.

Can you watch YouTube on two tv's at once?

Anyone have YouTube and your thoughts?
Porteroso
Rokus always have good black Friday sales, might spring for the mid or high end ones then. I really like mine. I have an older plasma, clunky and slow apps, so the Roku makes worlds of difference.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.