Jack Chambers (BackToJack) late 90s hall of fame bufans poster

12,124 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ScottS
Ghost of ChokeU PartDeux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sad news
anyone who posted here in late 90s know who he is. he was an absolute legend

https://www.baylor.edu/alumni/magazine/1903/index.php?id=977360

John R. "Jack" Chambers, died Dec. 15, 2020, in Houston. While sophomore class president at Baylor, Chambers was the primary influence for raising the money to install the green lights on Pan Neff Hall to be lit following winning sports events and other significant occasions. He was the oldest of the five Baylor children, plus three in-law children, of Lois Rutledge Chambers and retired U.S. Air Force Maj. Bob Chambers, BA '57. Jack proudly claimed that 18 family members attended Baylor over decades and continued constant contact and promotion of what goes on at Baylor, especially through correspondence with most of the coaching and broadcast staff. He always made a point to highlight the good qualities or accomplishments of the people he met. Chambers initially majored in music at Baylor before changing to communications. Early in his multifaceted career, he hosted an Austin-based radio talk show focused on politics, social issues, religious matters and other related affairs. He was a syndicated columnist published in 25 newspapers throughout Texas, and some of his work was featured in USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times and the Chicago Tribune. In 2000, Chambers began Houston and Beyond, a weekly radio show promoting entertainment, sporting events and fine dining. He was a prolific public speaker and an accomplished pianist and singer with a repertoire of more than 500 songs in various styles from the 1940s to 1990s. He was also fluent in Spanish and often traveled to Latin America. Chambers is survived by his parents, four siblings and their spouses, 15 nephews and nieces, and 21 great-nephews/nieces.

Stranger
baylorfans.com was a wild place back in the day filled with some really great characters. This place is mild by comparison.

Back2Jack was one of the most prolific posters on the board. He was controversial but never boring. Then one day he just quit.

The story doesn't mention his age. Does anyone know how old he was?

Rest In Peace, Jack.
I'm a Bearbacker
Jokerman
Dadgummit.
Terrible news.
Jack was the consummate foil on the old BF.com site in its early heyday. We all took our turns sparring with him. Yes, it was oft sophomoric jabs at his expense. And we oft took it too far.
Of course, we forget there are human beings on the other end of our usernames. And Jack was never shy about revealing his actual identity and personality. It was one of the things that made Jack so very Jack around here.
RIP, my man.

Pro Ecclesia
Pro Texana
*sheesh*
*sigh*

whitetrash
Alas. He finally got out of the pool.

Seem to recall he was supposed to be a senior my freshman year, which would have put him about 61 or so.

BearChick
Oh my gosh. Hadn't seen this. He was legendary on the old Fans boards. He came out to our store in Galveston once. That was a trip.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
He was about 10-15 years older than myself, so early 60s seems about right.

We met him twice in Galveston while he filmed his show. Once he found out we were Bears he continued to talk to me despite me ripping him on the old site a few times. It was in fun and I think he knew that from most of us, but he was pretty good guy that loved Baylor.

We've lost too many Bears in 2020/21.

Raspberry toupee forever
Thee University
whitetrash said:

Alas. He finally got out of the pool.

Seem to recall he was supposed to be a senior my freshman year, which would have put him about 61 or so.

I believe he was Class of 1981 which put him at 61 or 62. He was a ball of fire every time your ran into him on campus and the same way on all of the bulletin boards.

He loved Baylor.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
PartyBear
I'm sorry to hear this. Bearchick believe it or not I was just remembering you and some others from way back on baylorfans the other day.
TenBears
The guy was a true original and bled green and gold. Was he also the one that created the pro Kevin Steele message board that sort of competed with Baylorfans for a couple of years back in the dark ages?
Stemperford
Ghost of ChokeU PartDeux said:

sad news
anyone who posted here in late 90s know who he is. he was an absolute legend

https://www.baylor.edu/alumni/magazine/1903/index.php?id=977360

John R. "Jack" Chambers, died Dec. 15, 2020, in Houston. While sophomore class president at Baylor, Chambers was the primary influence for raising the money to install the green lights on Pan Neff Hall to be lit following winning sports events and other significant occasions. He was the oldest of the five Baylor children, plus three in-law children, of Lois Rutledge Chambers and retired U.S. Air Force Maj. Bob Chambers, BA '57. Jack proudly claimed that 18 family members attended Baylor over decades and continued constant contact and promotion of what goes on at Baylor, especially through correspondence with most of the coaching and broadcast staff. He always made a point to highlight the good qualities or accomplishments of the people he met. Chambers initially majored in music at Baylor before changing to communications. Early in his multifaceted career, he hosted an Austin-based radio talk show focused on politics, social issues, religious matters and other related affairs. He was a syndicated columnist published in 25 newspapers throughout Texas, and some of his work was featured in USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times and the Chicago Tribune. In 2000, Chambers began Houston and Beyond, a weekly radio show promoting entertainment, sporting events and fine dining. He was a prolific public speaker and an accomplished pianist and singer with a repertoire of more than 500 songs in various styles from the 1940s to 1990s. He was also fluent in Spanish and often traveled to Latin America. Chambers is survived by his parents, four siblings and their spouses, 15 nephews and nieces, and 21 great-nephews/nieces.

Wow, that's really sad. I didn't meet him but hearing his story, wants me to cry.
Re-Mapping the Page.
Big12Bear
If you made a Mount Rushmore of Baylor forum personalities, Jack would be on it.

Similar to Brian's story, Jack was just as exuberant in person as he came across on the boards. Very friendly to me, despite some ribbing on Baylorfans. He bled green and gold, that's for damn sure. One of a kind.

RIP Jack
RegentCoverup
I'm sorry to hear this.

Before my time, but I read his posts in fear, awe, and mild terror. I just wished he'd quit ripping off other's music. Outside of that, it was sorta impressive how he could write a 4,000 diatribe and not miss a beat.

He was sincere in his affinity for Baylor, even in dark times. The man was a believer.

RIP Jack.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
BearChick
PartyBear said:

I'm sorry to hear this. Bearchick believe it or not I was just remembering you and some others from way back on baylorfans the other day.

Oh my goodness...should I be scared?
Fat Daddy
He called me at my office one day to discuss something posted on Fans.... and called several more times.... it was somewhat uncomfortable because I didn't have hours to chat with him...

Strange ... aren't we all?

He did love Baylor!
Jokerman
Seriously, if you have "he did love Baylor" in your eulogy, I'm willing to overlook a lot.
You're good with me.

Lotta memories, brethren...
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Jokerman said:

Seriously, if you have "he did love Baylor" in your eulogy, I'm willing to overlook a lot.
You're good with me.

Good to see you posting.
william
This one's for Jack!

- PB BHJ

RIP PB!

:bow:

:bow:

and Caseman too.....
Ghost of ChokeU PartDeux
Ghost of ChokeU PartDeux
Jokerman
Brian Ethridge said:

Jokerman said:

You're good with me.

Good to see you posting.
Bless you...
Life's biorhythm evolves, as does the time allotted to hanging around these parts.
Sometimes it take a loverly basketball run, or an untimely demise of a giant to shake me out of the doldrums.
william
Jokerman said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Jokerman said:

You're good with me.

Good to see you posting.
Bless you...
Life's biorhythm evolves, as does the time allotted to hanging around these parts.
Sometimes it take a loverly basketball run, or an untimely demise of a giant to shake me out of the doldrums.
... or a powers boothe sighting.

- BUmma

and don't even mention swen nater.

D!
bularry
Jokerman said:

You're good with me.

dude.... Jokerman posting about Back2Jack takes me back 20 years. goodness
Jokerman
bularry said:

Jokerman said:

You're good with me.

dude.... Jokerman posting about Back2Jack takes me back 20 years. goodness
Amen, brother. When life was simpler. And we didn't have to worry about actually winning on the football field.
Aliceinbubbleland
Just WOW! We clashed often on these boards back when my user name was Judge. He was always off key to me but I hate that we lose anyone who loved Baylor.

Another prolific poster in those days was the dude from Liberty or Crosby or close by whose most famous post was in the showers lol. He and Jack always had a lot of exchanges. My age is showing. I think he was Bear something or other.
william
B2J wasn't BEAR....

Jack was 'sui generis', as they say.....

- KKM

Go Bears!

PartyBear
Are you thinking bubear?

I remember the first poster I recall passing went by the name evilCalifornian or something like that. He passed around 99 or early 00.

There was a poster who went by the name of BeerBelly who was hilarious. I think he just stopped posting though during the 00s.
Stranger
PartyBear said:

Are you thinking bubear?

I remember the first poster I recall passing went by the name evilCalifornian or something like that. He passed around 99 or early 00.

There was a poster who went by the name of BeerBelly who was hilarious. I think he just stopped posting though during the 00s.

bubear was from Liberty/Dayton. He had his own message board for a while
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

Are you thinking bubear?

IIRC Beer Belly was from somewhere in Bell County (Salado or Academy) and taught at Louisiana-Monroe or similar.

And wasn't bubear the sunshine pumper of all sunshine pumpers during the Steele years?
PartyBear
whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

Are you thinking bubear?

IIRC Beer Belly was from somewhere in Bell County (Salado or Academy) and taught at Louisiana-Monroe or similar.

And wasn't bubear the sunshine pumper of all sunshine pumpers during the Steele years?

Yes. I thought when Alice mentioned a post about the showers he was talking about a bubear post, which I think was parodied in a thread called "Shower Time".
fubar
Not Beer Belly, but Bear Belly. His sig for awhile was "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you," which I have passed off as my own a time or two over the years.

Whatever happened to Loaded_For_Steele?
bularry
PartyBear said:

whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

Are you thinking bubear?

Yes. I thought when Alice mentioned a post about the showers he was talking about a bubear post, which I think was parodied in a thread called "Shower Time".
yes, "Shower Time" was the greatest Baylor parody post, ever.

Aliceinbubbleland
Yeah, bubear. You are correct.
PartyBear
bubear also made similar thread with a long OP comparing Steele's progress with building Baylor to preparation of brisket. This was intended to be a positive about the good job Steele was doing.

Who wrote Shower Time? Did it ever get saved anywhere?
Aliceinbubbleland
I think it was buried in a post on puffing up Steele at the time. I can't recall all the drama but Momma Bear got into a cat fight with someone and she mysteriously disappeared about that time. If Bear Chick is in Galveston her other half had many post wars with BuBear lol
Pecos 45
Man, that is a poster's name I haven't heard in a while.
Back in the BF.com days he wasn't what I would call a "legend" but more of a constant annoying presence, like that mosquito buzzing around your ear when you're trying to sleep.

BF.com was a different site than this one, mainly because they would let anyone get on there and post anything, which BackToJack did with regularity. Much like Ex Lax.

But he honestly did love Baylor University, so I can forgive much of his grating online personality.

Sorry for him and his family to see him go.

He woulda loved to see the Bears win the NCAA championship.

“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.