Muhammed Ali/Ken Burns Docuseries on PBS

1,613 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LIB,MR BEARS
SSadler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was a Clay/Ali fan growing up in high school. (late 60s).

Ken Burns docuseries is running this week on PBS. Well done (well, duh, it's Ken Burns). Honest about character flaws as well as truthful about Ali giving away most of his money early in his career to help poor.

I'm not lookng forward to the concluding sessions that will, inevitably, deal with Ali's Parkinson's (three decades) and death.

Inarguably one of the greatest entertainers in sports history; and, arguably, the greatest heavyweight fighter of all time.
whitetrash
Have they shown the episode yet on his career as bug spray salesman?

MrGolfguy
Sadler, I'm curious if they talked at all about Ali's ancestry. One grandfather was a white Irish immigrant and Ali was said to be proud of his Irish heritage, but i think a lot of people are unaware of this part of his life.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
SSadler
I have to go back and watch the first segment. When I first noticed the series and clicked the Burns group was discussing Ali's Olympic Gold Medal and then they tracked his life/career from there.

I don't think I've heard anything about that family heritage since that point in the docuseries, but again, I"m not sure what all is at the very beginning. It's a PBS thing so at some point after this week it should be available to rewatch.

Regrets I can't answer your question.
MaxTeller
Would have loved to see him and Jack Johnson tee it up!
Mitch Blood Green
SSadler said:

I have to go back and watch the first segment. When I first noticed the series and clicked the Burns group was discussing Ali's Olympic Gold Medal and then they tracked his life/career from there.

I don't think I've heard anything about that family heritage since that point in the docuseries, but again, I"m not sure what all is at the very beginning. It's a PBS thing so at some point after this week it should be available to rewatch.

Regrets I can't answer your question.

This was first episode (it's on my list to start), so if his heritage wasn't in this episode, you didn't miss it.
Redbrickbear
MrGolfguy said:

Sadler, I'm curious if they talked at all about Ali's ancestry. One grandfather was a white Irish immigrant and Ali was said to be proud of his Irish heritage, but i think a lot of people are unaware of this part of his life.
Yep,

Ali's maternal great-grandfather, Abe Grady, was from County Clare Ireland.
Edmond Bear

I listened to Ken Burns be interviewed on the Smartless podcast last night. He talked about the Ali series and noted that it starts with his birth and background. He did not mention further heritage.

By the way, listening to Ken Burns talk is fascinating because he never answers a question directly. Instead, he answers the context with context.

Canon
Next week, PBS is proud to present a new Ken Burns 42 part documentary series on aglets, called "Aglets vs Eyelets." Don't miss this stimulating journey through the world of small sheaths, often made of plastic or metal, used on each end of a shoelace, a cord, or a drawstring.
LIB,MR BEARS
Some 4th grader hacked Canon's account. I wonder if anyone else will notice. Probably not.
Canon
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Some 4th grader hacked Canon's account. I wonder if anyone else will notice. Probably not.

I bring the humor. Just lay back and enjoy it.
LIB,MR BEARS
Canon said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

okay, let us know when you bring it so we can be looking for it. Otherwise, get off daddy's computer before you get in trouble.
Canon
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canon said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

okay, let us know when you bring it so we can be looking for it. Otherwise, get off daddy's computer before you get in trouble.

Show us on the doll where Ken Burns touched you.
Edmond Bear
Canon said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canon said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

That is the first and only Ken Burns burn in history.

LIB,MR BEARS
Edmond Bear said:

Canon said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Canon said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

That is the first and only Ken Burns burn in history.

I don't believe Ken Burns has ever been to Lubbock.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.