Zero turn mowers?

1,783 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Big12Bear
atomicblast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have one or bought one? Looking for recommendations.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
atomicblast said:

Man, I have always been a John Deere fan, but my John Deere Z425 that I bought about five years ago has literally spent more time in the shop than it has mowing my grass. I have had both transmissions go out, have blown a head gasket, and have had both the drive belt and mower belt break on me. It has a total of 140 hours on it.

I have talked to other folks that have owned a John Deere zero turn mower that have not had any problems. Guess I ended up with a lemon. It is pretty much parked in my garage. I ended up purchasing a conventional John Deere tractor that runs great (knock on wood) and cost a whole lot less.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
atomicblast
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

atomicblast said:

Man, I have always been a John Deere fan, but my John Deere Z425 that I bought about five years ago has literally spent more time in the shop than it has mowing my grass. I have had both transmissions go out, have blown a head gasket, and have had both the drive belt and mower belt break on me. It has a total of 140 hours on it.

I have talked to other folks that have owned a John Deere zero turn mower that have not had any problems. Guess I ended up with a lemon. It is pretty much parked in my garage. I ended up purchasing a conventional John Deere tractor that runs great (knock on wood) and cost a whole lot less.
Was looking at them but I've heard things about Toro. I think I like the fabricated deck. Howd you blow the gasket by the way?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
atomicblast said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

atomicblast said:

Was looking at them but I've heard things about Toro. I think I like the fabricated deck. Howd you blow the gasket by the way?
That was the first thing that went wrong very shortly after I bought it. Cranked it up in my garage. BOOM!!!! All the oil ran out on the garage floor. I thought I had blown the engine. They had no explanation other than the head gasket just failed. Luckily, most of the cost of this repair was covered by the warranty.

-- Barack Obama
BaylorOkie
I bought a 54" Bad Boy new in 2014 and used it for 6 years before I sold it with 180 hours. It was an excellent mower. Would buy one again.

Stupid name, but good mower. Mine had the Kohler engine. Kawasaki is a step up from that. One good feature is that the mower deck was welded to the mower frame, it wasn't rocking loose.
4th and Inches
Gravely.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
57Bear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

atomicblast said:

I bought a JD 777 with a 6' deck - July 2003. Never has been in the shop. It just keeps mowing. Fun mow!

6' deck is not for all terrains.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
57Bear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

atomicblast said:

I bought a JD 777 with a 6' deck - July 2003. Never has been in the shop. It just keeps mowing. Fun mow!

I have a John Deere 970 with a 6' shredder that was my father's that is 25 years old . It has never had any major issues. Reminds me of the old saying "they don't make 'em like they used to".

-- Barack Obama
4th and Inches
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

57Bear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

atomicblast said:

I have a John Deere 970 with a 6' shredder that was my father's that is 25 years old . It has never had any major issues. Reminds me of the old saying "they don't make 'em like they used to".
brothers john deer blew head gasket twice, once under warranty. Finally caught fire and burned up about a year ago.. "worst mower ever"
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
LIB,MR BEARS
4th and Inches said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

57Bear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

atomicblast said:

brothers john deer blew head gasket twice, once under warranty. Finally caught fire and burned up about a year ago.. "worst mower ever"

tis but a flesh wound
atomicblast
ended up getting a Toro 42' Timecutter with a Kohler engine. They didnt have a Kawasaki in the 42' size sadly. Sheesh mowers are sure up in price and low in inventory.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
4th and Inches said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

57Bear said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

atomicblast said:

Wow!!! That looks like it could be a Z425 just like mine. Guess I will consider myself lucky that mine didn't catch fire. I agree with your brother's sentiments of "worst mower ever!"

If I were to buy another zero turn, it would definitely be a Bad Boy or a Gravely. They are definitely a little higher priced but well worth the extra money. Only reason I didn't buy one or the other because about 30 days ago, I could not find either one in the San Antonio area.

-- Barack Obama
Porteroso
Gravely. Thing is a tank. You can service most of it yourself, easy to diagnose, and quality is amazing.

I know you already got one, but just saying.
HepCat
I had a Snapper Pro and mowed just under 1 1/2 acres every week. A solid mower. My son in law has had nothing but problems with his JD.
midgett
Don't shoot me.

Anyone have experience with an EGO riding mower?

My self propelled Honda came to an end after 20 years. I thought I'd try the EGO. It's just the blade and battery. No oil, no gas, no spark plug. I have really enjoyed it.

Moved and have a bigger yard. So curious about the EGO.

A better option is fake grass or more concrete!
br53
I have a zero turn mower. Name is Erick Gutierrez. Shows up every Friday unless it rains. Yard looks great.
Big12Bear
midgett said:

Don't shoot me.

Anyone have experience with an EGO riding mower?

My self propelled Honda came to an end after 20 years. I thought I'd try the EGO. It's just the blade and battery. No oil, no gas, no spark plug. I have really enjoyed it.

Moved and have a bigger yard. So curious about the EGO.

A better option is fake grass or more concrete!
I can't speak for their riding mower, but have really enjoyed the rest of the EGO product line. I moved and ended up having to sell the EGO self-propelled mower to a buddy and he's hooked now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.